IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

3 hours ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Will go up, more shops are opening and more businesses are now starting up. People need to get to work and will go to the shops if they open.

Open nothing and no one will go out, open stores businesses and traffic will increase.

Agree, companies have been given guildlines to comply with, so now companies have got there house in order for workers to return safely hence why more traffic on roads. I been calling the unofficial unlocking down

4 hours ago, S25loyal said:

One of the main issues with me is and it sums how pathetic it is all is,

With football , blokes who want to have a punch up etc end up getting whacked by the police no questions asked 

A killer pandemic is happening and people are buying cushions from b and m with nothing being done. 

I saw a video on Twitter - someone filmed police officers getting fish & chips from a chippy (why was that open?!) and Cadbury’s creme eggs and ice creams from another shop. The person who filmed it then asked them if they considered their purchases to be ‘essential supplies’ and it all got awkward.

Now I think this is a very stressful time for all people in the frontline, including the police, and I certainly wouldn’t begrudge them some chips and an ice cream - they bloody well deserve it. But they can’t threaten to follow members of the public into supermarkets to ‘check their trollies only contain essential items’ (as per the video of the speech by the chief constable of Northants Police) and then do the opposite themselves... too heavy handed in some ways then turning a blind eye in others - it doesn’t help in these very difficult times ...

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I saw a video on Twitter - someone filmed police officers getting fish & chips from a chippy (why was that open?!) and Cadbury’s creme eggs and ice creams from another shop. The person who filmed it then asked them if they considered their purchases to be ‘essential supplies’ and it all got awkward.

Now I think this is a very stressful time for all people in the frontline, including the police, and I certainly wouldn’t begrudge them some chips and an ice cream - they bloody well deserve it. But they can’t threaten to follow members of the public into supermarkets to ‘check their trollies only contain essential items’ (as per the video of the speech by the chief constable of Northants Police) and then do the opposite themselves... too heavy handed in some ways then turning a blind eye in others - it doesn’t help in these very difficult times ...

Seen police in 2s and 3s..2s certainly.

Think as is often the case, they're quite sensible down here (Bristol).

However, examples such as those you provide and again 2s and 3s...social distancing (!?) isn't the best look.

Granted if sensible should be fine, but if they clamp down, but continue with examples they will lose goodwill.

Possibly not an issue now but down the line.

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It is.

I think if they (HMRC) and the Treasury could do it again, there would be a variety of terms and stipulations. CJRS was/is the only real answer and it's a good scheme, but loopholes and inconsistencies inevitable.

What I'm trying to ascertain, is what exactly it means by PAYE payments. Does it mean PAYE from players deferring wages, PAYE from reduction of tax take e.g, 80% salary, so tax etc adjusted accordingly or is it referring to any club who utilised furlough?

I think any club that utilises certain covid business support schemes will be on a watch list for the business they undertake afterwards.  I suspect that will apply to many businesses wider than football too.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Agreed, this isn’t a lockdown for the thousands ( millions?) of us who have been forced to work all the way through.

The factory I work at isn’t making essential items, even though they have given us a card saying we are, if we are stopped by the Police ?‍♂️
Basically I self isolate for 16 hours a day, then go to work for 8 hours and play virus Russian roulette with 50 other people.

Same here.I work in a factory making parts for planes that aren't going anywhere,try to practice social distancing in a factory of 300! Got my letter to say i,m an essential worker in case I get stopped by the police

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

I can perhaps see it being cancelled. If a handful of key players refuse to play, it could have drastically different effects on results and viewer figures too. 

What would annoy me is if football gets cancelled but then in June we have people shoulder to shoulder in shops, pubs and cafes again. That's my two wrongs make a right argument.

• Like 1

An announcement was made today by the government that professional sport trainings can be held from Monday, 04/05. As our FA said 21 days later games can be played behind closed doors so maybe the league will restart at 27/05 here.

TBF Hungary is one of safest country in Europe, 3rd I think as studies showed yet restrictions are lifted carefully and slowly (f.e. stores can open in full time from Monday but only in the countryside, Budapest will remain in strict lockdown. And no gatherings over 500 people till 15th of August). The capital is handled very differently from the countryside in every decision they make.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, mozo said:

What would annoy me is if football gets cancelled but then in June we have people shoulder to shoulder in shops, pubs and cafes again. That's my two wrongs make a right argument.

I don’t think that will happen, at least I hope not. They were talking about pubs with beer Gardens opening as they would be safe in the open air. I wouldn’t have thought anywhere selling food and drink which you didn’t take away would be allowed to operate without offering toilet facilities, and there you have the problem.

Also with regard to workplaces and schools opening once they have rearranged fixtures and fittings to accommodate students, workers and customers. Great, until you realise most people travel to work on crowded trains and buses etc. 

There are a lot of problems to be sorted until football gets back. Health has to be more of a priority than a game, which essentially that’s all it is, and I’m saying that as a football fan of course. A ‘non-believer’ won’t understand football returning at all. 

Going back to your point, I will be pretty pissed off if the people that are shielding away now when people are literally risking their lives to shop for them, look after them and treat them are the first to jet off into the sun after the lockdown ends. 

• Like 3

I might not explain this very well, so bear with me.

According to Whitty last week, only 3-10% of people have had covid.  If we see death rates falling, that must be a result of less new cases.  Eventually we will get to a point where new cases / deaths are at an acceptable (!!!) level to release the lockdown in whatever way they decide.  At that point it’s perfectly possible that only 15% (that might be too high) of people have had covid.

How much longer of lockdown does it take to get new cases / deaths down to a palatable figure?  At what point does the recent 7 day rolling average decrease start to flatten also?  Does it even get to an acceptable level, let alone 0 deaths per day?

Lockdown is now about 5 weeks.

Covid might take 2 weeks to get to you.

Covid might stay with you for 2 weeks.

So why are we getting 4k new cases per day (of those tested)?

Because lockdown isn’t lockdown!  It’s half-arsed.

880 tests so far / 66m people = 1.3% of the population tested....and that’s assuming you only test a person once, which we know is untrue.

100k tests per day will take 18 months plus to complete.

When I hear Whitty use the term “Peak” and “first phase”, I’m really surprised nobody has asked him what kind of profile of new cases and deaths the next and subsequent phases will have?  Without vaccine or drug treatments, I can’t see how say 70% of the population are gonna get back to “normal” in any timeline.  If we’ve been slow to rein it in initially, how can they slowly allow it to infect to get enough people to have it to create a smaller death rate?  I can’t work that out.

I think too many people think this is a single phase and that we are coming out the other size.  It might be one phase....lasting a year....I don’t think anyone is prepared for that.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RedM said:

I don’t think that will happen, at least I hope not. They were talking about pubs with beer Gardens opening as they would be safe in the open air. I wouldn’t have thought anywhere selling food and drink which you didn’t take away would be allowed to operate without offering toilet facilities, and there you have the problem.

Also with regard to workplaces and schools opening once they have rearranged fixtures and fittings to accommodate students, workers and customers. Great, until you realise most people travel to work on crowded trains and buses etc. 

There are a lot of problems to be sorted until football gets back. Health has to be more of a priority than a game, which essentially that’s all it is, and I’m saying that as a football fan of course. A ‘non-believer’ won’t understand football returning at all. 

Going back to your point, I will be pretty pissed off if the people that are shielding away now when people are literally risking their lives to shop for them, look after them and treat them are the first to jet off into the sun after the lockdown ends. 

I would argue that a beer garden poses more viral threat to society than a behind closed doors football game. The same goes for plenty of non-essential public activities. 

So if we're serious about shutting down non-essential public businesses whereby social distancing cannot be enforced, it should be done across the board, not just the preferred business type.

I think you make a very sensible points by the way, but I'm still inclined to think resumption can work.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I might not explain this very well, so bear with me.

According to Whitty last week, only 3-10% of people have had covid.  If we see death rates falling, that must be a result of less new cases.  Eventually we will get to a point where new cases / deaths are at an acceptable (!!!) level to release the lockdown in whatever way they decide.  At that point it’s perfectly possible that only 15% (that might be too high) of people have had covid.

How much longer of lockdown does it take to get new cases / deaths down to a palatable figure?  At what point does the recent 7 day rolling average decrease start to flatten also?  Does it even get to an acceptable level, let alone 0 deaths per day?

Lockdown is now about 5 weeks.

Covid might take 2 weeks to get to you.

Covid might stay with you for 2 weeks.

So why are we getting 4k new cases per day (of those tested)?

Because lockdown isn’t lockdown!  It’s half-arsed.

880 tests so far / 66m people = 1.3% of the population tested....and that’s assuming you only test a person once, which we know is untrue.

100k tests per day will take 18 months plus to complete.

When I hear Whitty use the term “Peak” and “first phase”, I’m really surprised nobody has asked him what kind of profile of new cases and deaths the next and subsequent phases will have?  Without vaccine or drug treatments, I can’t see how say 70% of the population are gonna get back to “normal” in any timeline.  If we’ve been slow to rein it in initially, how can they slowly allow it to infect to get enough people to have it to create a smaller death rate?  I can’t work that out.

I think too many people think this is a single phase and that we are coming out the other size.  It might be one phase....lasting a year....I don’t think anyone is prepared for that.

Perfectly explained and I fully agree. Heard discussion on tv earlier saying people should begin to be thinking ‘next year, not yet month’  for any kind of pre-virus living. But I guess that’s too much of a blow for some to understand and comply with, so we shine a little light at the end of the tunnel now and again. But I’m sure before we know it the weeks will turn into months, unless something drastically changes how can it not?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, RedM said:

Perfectly explained and I fully agree. Heard discussion on tv earlier saying people should begin to be thinking ‘next year, not yet month’  for any kind of pre-virus living. But I guess that’s too much of a blow for some to understand and comply with, so we shine a little light at the end of the tunnel now and again. But I’m sure before we know it the weeks will turn into months, unless something drastically changes how can it not?

After some pretty poor daily press briefings I can’t wait for Johnson to do today’s and see how he delivers today’s message.  My expectations are pretty low!!!

54 minutes ago, sticks 1969 said:

With out going over old ground,  as every day passes it seems less likely this season will actually finish 

Yep. Null and void is not an option imho. You cannot expunge 76% of a season.

I am slowly coming round to:

- points per game plus

- no playoffs (team in best relegation place gets a reprieve)

City lose out....tough luck.

Prem: 

Liverpool win title

Sheff Utd leapfrog Wolves

Arsenal leapfrog Spurs

Norwich and Villa relegated.

Watford get a reprieve which would’ve been a relegation on one goal otherwise!

Championship:

Leeds and West Brom promoted, no playoff 

Relegated: Luton and Barnsley, Charlton reprieved

Lg1:

Coventry and Rotherham promoted, no playoff

Relegated: Bolton and Southend, Tranmere reprieve (23 team league)

Lg2:

Crewe, Swindon and Plymouth promoted, no playoff

No relegation to National League, but Barrow promoted to make 24 clubs and a 72 team EFL again.

In each division nobody loses out on goal difference in a promotion or relegation scenario, there is daylight in each case.

Clubs stop wasting money working out his to get to the end of this season, they focus on starting in whatever format for 20/21 season, whenever that is. 30/6 contract issues go away.

Thoughts?

17 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Bundesliga return pushed back to at least May 16th. 

Germany started to see infection rates increases since relaxation of lockdown. Lessons for our government, which they won’t like using!!!

• Like 3

I think our government plan is to let this run for the next year or so, let people die in one big phase like someone above said.

Rather than say Spain’s idea of a total lockdown for weeks on end to try and get rid of it, then keep all borders closed. 

Theres no way we will see it magically disappear here with our current “lockdown”

• Flames 1

42 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

After some pretty poor daily press briefings I can’t wait for Johnson to do today’s and see how he delivers today’s message.  My expectations are pretty low!!!

Yep. Null and void is not an option imho. You cannot expunge 76% of a season.

I am slowly coming round to:

- points per game plus

- no playoffs (team in best relegation place gets a reprieve)

City lose out....tough luck.

Prem: 

Liverpool win title

Sheff Utd leapfrog Wolves

Arsenal leapfrog Spurs

Norwich and Villa relegated.

Watford get a reprieve which would’ve been a relegation on one goal otherwise!

Championship:

Leeds and West Brom promoted, no playoff 

Relegated: Luton and Barnsley, Charlton reprieved

Lg1:

Coventry and Rotherham promoted, no playoff

Relegated: Bolton and Southend, Tranmere reprieve (23 team league)

Lg2:

Crewe, Swindon and Plymouth promoted, no playoff

No relegation to National League, but Barrow promoted to make 24 clubs and a 72 team EFL again.

In each division nobody loses out on goal difference in a promotion or relegation scenario, there is daylight in each case.

Clubs stop wasting money working out his to get to the end of this season, they focus on starting in whatever format for 20/21 season, whenever that is. 30/6 contract issues go away.

Thoughts?

Germany started to see infection rates increases since relaxation of lockdown. Lessons for our government, which they won’t like using!!!

@Davefevs I think it’s impossible to provide a solution which is why put simply the season has to be cancelled. Whilst a points per game is an option , I’m not sure how fair that may actually be. Do you take into consideration a team has played for instance relegation rivals away but not at home? Can see Villa arguing about their game in hand (win that and have 0.96 points per game and safety).

As things stand currently:

Norwich have played 29 games / 21 points. 0.724 points per game 

Villa 28 games player 25 points 0.89 points per game 

Bournemouth & Watford 29 games 27 points 0.93 points per game 

Your comment about Johnson I just hope he does not mention it or is asked about football coming back  

4 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

The Dutch have already announced who will take the European spots for next season.

The good news is, Willem II are in the Europa League. 

PPG tries to even out teams when they've played different amounts of games, something the Dutch have avoided