IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

I think they will announce winners on a PPG basis and expand the leagues next season by 2 or 3 teams, with no relegation this season.

Wouldn't be surprised if the LDV and League Cup are both cancelled to accommodate extra games.

With the divisions resized to how they were over the next season or two.

5 minutes ago, daored said:

@Davefevs I think it’s impossible to provide a solution which is why put simply the season has to be cancelled. Whilst a points per game is an option , I’m not sure how fair that may actually be. Do you take into consideration a team has played for instance relegation rivals away but not at home? Can see Villa arguing about their game in hand (win that and have 0.96 points per game and safety).

As things stand currently:

Norwich have played 29 games / 21 points. 0.724 points per game

Extrapolate to 38 games: 27.5 points

Villa 28 games player 25 points 0.89 points per game

33.9 points

Bournemouth & Watford 29 games 27 points 0.93 points per game

35.4 points.....Villa 1.5 points behind....that's daylight in my eyes.  Nothing is perfect, of course they'll argue about a game in hand.  Its home v Sheff Utd, a team with a better away record than Villa's home record!!!!  Villa have the joint worst 5 game form in the Prem.  They are clutching at straws in any ppg scenario.  Resuming behind closed doors is unfair too, home advantage may disappear.  Crazy times, this season has to be concluded in some way....not null and voided imho.  As it stands I think this is the next best scenario to playing behind closed door.

Your comment about Johnson I just hope he does not mention it or is asked about football coming back

No, would rather him get harangued for talking about pubs, Wetherspoons in particular!!!!

4 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

Or you could do it the Dutch or Belgian ways? 

What have they decided?

15 minutes ago, hodge said:

Looking above would it also be a record high for Sheffield Utd for a team the season after promotion anyone know?

That took me like 5 mins so give me a few 

No, Forest won it in 77/78 in their first season back in the 1st division.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

I would of thought the games not played must come into consideration though. Pools panel / Duckworth Lewis method ?

not in PPG.

If you want to go with a pool panel / DL method, then my argument is you should do it for all 46 games, not just the remaining 9....which is futile imho

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

not in PPG.

If you want to go with a pool panel / DL method, then my argument is you should do it for all 46 games, not just the remaining 9....which is futile imho

It's impossible to be fair in a scenario where you simulate the games left to be played, a PPG basis doesnt take into account the standard of opposition left to play, form of both teams at the point of lockdown etc. In my opinion the best way forward would be to null and void the season and start again from fresh whenever safe to do so.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

It's impossible to be fair in a scenario where you simulate the games left to be played, a PPG basis doesnt take into account the standard of opposition left to play, form of both teams at the point of lockdown etc. In my opinion the best way forward would be to null and void the season and start again from fresh whenever safe to do so.

IF null and void applied, that means it didn't happen basically.

Are the TV payments valid?

How about season tickets sold for the existing season?

Goal, clean sheet bonuses and probably much more besides.

Sponsors probably would have somethintg to say.

In theory, it could be a great day for commercial litigation, if and when null and void officially aannounced.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

IF null and void applied, that means it didn't happen basically.

Are the TV payments valid? TV companies would withhold the remaining money on a pro rata basis

How about season tickets sold for the existing season? Prorata refund

Goal, clean sheet bonuses and probably much more besides. Keep what has been paid up to point of lockdown

Sponsors probably would have somethintg to say. Roll over into the first quarter of next season before any new deals can come into force

In theory, it could be a great day for commercial litigation, if and when null and void officially aannounced.

No easy way out of this but if litigation is the concern relegating teams before it is mathematically confirmed is about as bad as it could get I imagine

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Would you be saying this if City were in the top 2? Not totally sure you can relegate teams but i wouldnt have a problem promoting teams.

Edited by Super

45 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

It's not up to him.

EFL finished though according to someone from Rovers apparently. Leaked some info. League sizes to be different next season and more relegations to level it out for the following 2021/22 season? ??‍♂️

Oops.

Edited by Pickle Rick
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Super said:

Would you be saying this if City were in the top 2? Not totally sure you can relegate teams but i wouldnt have a problem promoting teams.

Who knows, but the counter argument to your point is that Fulham in 3rd place could conceivably catch both WBA and Leeds as it stands so why should they miss out? If you apply the top two rule in our league then it would also presumably be applied to League 1 where Rotherham are currently only 2 points clear of 8th place so how is that fair? In L2 Exeter and CHeltenham are within reach of 3rd with plenty of games left to catch the automatic places so same goes for them.

Finish the season or null and void it are the only options for me personally (others disagree and I do see why) and the first option is fast running out of time.

Its an absolute shitstorm waiting to happen whichever way it goes but I do think the longer this all goes on for without a decision the worse it will get for all involved with player contracts on the horizon, impact on next season etc

52 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Agreed but he is right, time to right off this season, I also believe next season will also be cancelled.

i initially loved the idea of games behind closed doors but more important things in life.

There were a couple of closed games on TV before the lockdown, and its was awful to watch. Not for me, fans or nothing IMO.

30 minutes ago, Pickle Rick said:

EFL finished though according to someone from Rovers apparently. Leaked some info. League sizes to be different next season and more relegations to level it out for the following 2021/22 season? ??‍♂️

Oops.

Bump, needs to be heard

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pickle Rick said:

I believe it will mean 23 teams in Premiership, 27 in Champ and six relegated instead of three.

52 game season :surrender: I'd hope they'd be scrapping both cups to allow that, how many up from league 2 to league 1 to make up for Bury? 4 would normally go up as it was, promotions from national league as well? or you've got a very small league 2

13 minutes ago, hodge said:

52 game season :surrender: I'd hope they'd be scrapping both cups to allow that, how many up from league 2 to league 1 to make up for Bury? 4 would normally go up as it was, promotions from national league as well? or you've got a very small league 2

Was thinking surely they'd at least drop the League Cup and EFL trophy to compensate the amount of matches/demand. 

Some clubs may be financially fooked and struggle for senior players.