IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

1 hour ago, daored said:

To be fair mate , it isn’t football it’s the premier league. Talk of the EFL restarting have gone very quiet 

Yeah..I really dont see the EFL being completed if it doesn't start by mid june (parry said end of july deadline)  

Given that the premier league is aiming for mid june and has far more resources than the EFL then it looks pretty unlikely city will play again this season. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Redpool said:

Being honest. I haven’t missed football one bit.

Agreed. In fact the longer the break the less I miss it and all the peripheral shite that goes with it. The Premier League especially are showing their true colours in their desperation that is purely money motivated.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, lenred said:

Agreed. In fact the longer the break the less I miss it and all the peripheral shite that goes with it. The Premier League especially are showing their true colours in their desperation that is purely money motivated.  

I agreed with all the peripheral stuff, money and the PL. But after watching videos of us recently I do miss the cheer and euphoria after scoring and a good win. Daft as that may sound.

I've also been listening to these BBC podcasts...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/series/p06qbzmj 

... and they have been bringing back great memories of all sports.

I know way more important things are going on at the moment but the entertainment and pleasure sport brings shouldn't be overlooked. Sadly it's a luxury we can ill afford at the moment (excuse the pun).

• Thanks 1

This whole debate by the authorities is shameful in the current climate and shows a real disregard for players (their families), coaches, support staff and medical staff (not to mention any non football people that would be impacted under some of the rumoured plans, e.g. hotel staff needed if players are quarantined). 

It's also hugely disrespectful to the NHS and would be a needless drain on their limited resources given there will be an expectation on them to treat any infected players should that happen as a result of restarting this season. All the authorities care about is the money and greed.  You don't need to be a rocket scientist to know the risks are too significant to be thinking that football is a priority right now, let alone debating finishing the season by actually playing games.

Scenario planning about when and how to restart for next season is the right and proper thing to do but exploring plans to actually finish this behind closed doors is offensive. 

This sport moves further and further away from the game I enjoyed so much. Not sure I could come back from this if football goes ahead right now.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, daored said:

What would really lift morale is finding a vaccination so we can get to some form of normal life again. Allowing grandparents to hug their grandchildren, families to reunite, bars and restaurants to reopen so we can mix as a society once again. For us not to have to queue outside supermarkets , to be allowed outside other than essential shopping / exercise 

What will not improve my morale is seeing 20 football clubs playing games in empty stadiums, taking up recourse of the emergency services, taking up tests that could be used for front line staff / the general public to allow us to speed up an exit from lockdown and a return to some form of normality. 

100% agree. I'm amazed and disapointed that authorities can't see this above any other reason they think justifies restarting.

The Government are using the 'Moral lifting' statement to try to divert media attention (and criticism) away from their failings in handling the virus.

Football authorities should be taking a higher stance and just say no. This will (hopefully) backfire massively on the football authorities if they do bow down and go through with resuming. Absolutely disgraceful behaviour from both parties.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, daored said:

What would really lift morale is finding a vaccination so we can get to some form of normal life again. Allowing grandparents to hug their grandchildren, families to reunite, bars and restaurants to reopen so we can mix as a society once again. For us not to have to queue outside supermarkets , to be allowed outside other than essential shopping / exercise 

What will not improve my morale is seeing 20 football clubs playing games in empty stadiums, taking up recourse of the emergency services, taking up tests that could be used for front line staff / the general public to allow us to speed up an exit from lockdown and a return to some form of normality. 

well said sir....

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Laner said:

I agreed with all the peripheral stuff, money and the PL. But after watching videos of us recently I do miss the cheer and euphoria after scoring and a good win. Daft as that may sound.

I've also been listening to these BBC podcasts...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/series/p06qbzmj 

... and they have been bringing back great memories of all sports.

I know way more important things are going on at the moment but the entertainment and pleasure sport brings shouldn't be overlooked. Sadly it's a luxury we can ill afford at the moment (excuse the pun).

Doesn’t sound daft at all mate but like you say - way way more important things going on at the moment than trying to salvage tv money to the detriment of our critical services and putting more lives at risk, which is essentially what football would be doing if it were to rush back before it is safe to do so. We have the highest death rate in Europe now - risking even more lives for a few games of pretty meaningless football just isn’t worth it. 

Edited by lenred
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Which ever way they do this , they cause problems. I assume several local hotels will be used for the clubs to stay at - so effectively everyone who works at the hotel , coach driver etc will be required to be tested every two days?

I would imagine that the hotels being used for the respective teams would also be known. You can see Liverpool fans gathering outside the hotel to celebrate when they win the league. 

2 hours ago, daored said:

Which ever way they do this , they cause problems. I assume several local hotels will be used for the clubs to stay at - so effectively everyone who works at the hotel , coach driver etc will be required to be tested every two days?

I would imagine that the hotels being used for the respective teams would also be known. You can see Liverpool fans gathering outside the hotel to celebrate when they win the league. 

For some reason that made me wonder if there was a premier inn in Burton, they could allocate hotels depending on league position so Norwich world get the Travelodge etc etc 

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, weepywall said:

They are determined to get it back on aren't they, just hope NHS workers and care workers are getting the same level of testing as this will need on a daily basis, just stinks of money to me

welcome to the last 10 years of government.

Underlying wealth issue? You'll get a test.

• Like 2

The reality is that, if the season cannot be completed, it will be shit, depressing for all involved and financially challenging for many people.

But cancelling Glastonbury was shit, depressing for all involved and financially challenging for many people. Yet Glastonbury nonetheless took the decision. Ditto holidays being cancelled, events being cancelled, businesses, pubs and restaurants being closed. This is a depressing sacrifice but one that has rightly been deemed necessary. I've been fortunate in that I've kept working but everything I was looking forward to this year has been cancelled. Others have had that AND financial damage. The reality is, even when restrictions are lifted, many fans - including some of the longest-serving season ticket holders - will probably be advised to avoid large events or even seeing their loved ones.

All of this is horrible and depressing but it is a sacrifice we have collectively made to contain this virus. Deciding football is immune to that sacrifice and taking unnecessary risks and resources to make football happen will shatter that sense of collective sacrifice, cause resentment to everyone else who is having to cancel things, cause resentment amongst fans that cannot watch matches and create bad feeling as well as genuine risk.

It is a shame we have reached a point where it is in the best interests of everyone that the season cannot be completed but it is in the best interests of everyone that the season not be completed.  Struggling against practicality to try to put it on will achieve nothing and the focus should now be on resolving the season's outcomes in the best and fairest way possible without more matches taking place. And working out plans to run a truncated season (perhaps on a north/south split with play-offs at the end) from January to May 2021. 

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52558225

Decision time Monday  it seems

Can’t see the government lifting lockdown measures enough to allow football to return. Certainly appears that social distancing will be in place - and hard to see how football being played with so many people involved will meet the rules and restrictions. 
This has been a farce.

41 minutes ago, daored said:

Can’t see the government lifting lockdown measures enough to allow football to return. Certainly appears that social distancing will be in place - and hard to see how football being played with so many people involved will meet the rules and restrictions. 
This has been a farce.

I think they were looking into training wearing masks if got green light. Been reported in China children are dying in school whilst exercising wearing masks so can’t see that being allowed here.

10 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

I think they were looking into training wearing masks if got green light. Been reported in China children are dying in school whilst exercising wearing masks so can’t see that being allowed here.

Have you got a link to this  ?

The Premier League season will be completed in June at the FA’s St George’s National Football Centre (NFC), with players from every club staying at local hotels under lock-down, according to sources who spoke to the SKWAWKBOX.

The FA is arranging hotels for each club, but only players and staff will be there – players will be apart from their families for the duration of what will become effectively a World Cup-style finish to the season.

14 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

The Premier League season will be completed in June at the FA’s St George’s National Football Centre (NFC), with players from every club staying at local hotels under lock-down, according to sources who spoke to the SKWAWKBOX.

The FA is arranging hotels for each club, but only players and staff will be there – players will be apart from their families for the duration of what will become effectively a World Cup-style finish to the season.

Source ?

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

One brief football note.

Bundesliga has been given green light to return (behind closed doors).

Mixed reports as to whether it's May 15th or May 22nd but it seems to be between these two.

Think we should set a start date for around a month later, should be enough time to see how Germany copes and whether they have any problems before we’d be due to restart, if it goes wrong we can cancel the plans.

1 hour ago, havanatopia said:

59 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Source ?

I should be amazed if there was just one iota of truth in this.

Apart from the fact that SKWAWBOX is, let's say, not the most reliable of sources, it was 'announced' on their site yesterday evening and, to the best of my knowledge, there has been not one mention of it on more serious and reliable sites such as SKY or even the BBC.

As Dear Old Donald would say, Fake News.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, daored said:

This has been a farce.

Sounds like Golf, Fishing and Tennis will be lifted.