IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

One brief football note.

Bundesliga has been given green light to return (behind closed doors).

Mixed reports as to whether it's May 15th or May 22nd but it seems to be between these two.

Anyone know what order the games will Be played in? I assume it picks up with the first postponed game

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

One brief football note.

Bundesliga has been given green light to return (behind closed doors).

Mixed reports as to whether it's May 15th or May 22nd but it seems to be between these two.

That's very good news. They relaxed restrictions 10 days or so ago successfully and today opened all shops. With Boris going ahead with relaxing restrictions from Monday it seems we are following the German route. Fully expect our Football to be given go ahead as well and more widespread restrictions lifted on Monday May 18th. We are getting there.

• Like 1

Saw an article, think it was the NY times saying it was the bottom 6 clubs dithering and deliberately holding up meetings, making things go in circles as to why they hadn't made more progress with decisions. Basically doing everything they can to ensure no relegation this season. Problem is all you need is the bottom 6 and one other to vote against restart proposals, just above that you have Southampton who had lost 4 of the last 5 and Newcastle who would hardly want the risk of relegation with the potential for Saudi owners, mega rich owners in an upcoming transfer market where prices will hit big lows.

13 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

That's very good news. They relaxed restrictions 10 days or so ago successfully and today opened all shops. With Boris going ahead with relaxing restrictions from Monday it seems we are following the German route. Fully expect our Football to be given go ahead as well and more widespread restrictions lifted on Monday May 18th. We are getting there.

Ah but it’s the Germans. They might be able to make it work but our bunch of profiteering scumbags will only have their eyes on the Yankee dollar. If fans, players and officials get sick, they won’t be bothered as long as the Sky moolah rolls into their and the marquee players’ pockets. 
Hope it all implodes so we can start football again with a level playing field, salary caps throughout and a ban on foreign corrupt investment. 

• Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

We’re miles behind Germany in this pandemic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Prepare for the world's smallest violin...

Mr. Purslow and Aston Villa.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11677/11983955/premier-league-relegation-could-cost-200m-aston-villa-against-neutral-venues-christian-purslow

What a shame!! ?

As it goes I wonder about his workings here, how many years that projected figure or loss is spread over- but anyway! He's been in the industry a long while, I'll take him at his word!

Wonder if he's ever so slightly concerned about the views of the EFL- and Parry is far superior to Harvey- and other clubs- on their 3 years of spending and how they appeared to achieve compliance in the period running to May 2019...?

Or better yet, the wrath of his owners if his grand plan which they doubtless took in good faith, was in fact deemed in breach of FFP rules- they will be less than happy at him leading them up the wrong path...

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

Yep. Mate of mine says his local golf course told ok to open May 18th, my garage text me to say they are reopening same day and IKEA stores to open that day as well. Bye, bye Lockdown, hello sunshine!

You know it’ll be rain for a week, we’ll get a spike and restrictions will come back 

The relegation spot in League 2 just became interesting, Macclesfield deducted 7 points (4 for charges and 3 previously suspended) for not playing the game v Plymouth and not paying players on time in Feb, they also have 2 points suspended providing they don't break any rules this season. That reduces them to 25 points in 23rd place. Stevenage are on 22 points but have a game in hand. However Bolton had a suspended 5 point deduction for not playing at the start of the season (compared to the 4 points for Macclesfield for 2 offenses including same charge). If this had been a 5 point deduction with the 3 suspended points then Macclesfield would have only been 2 points ahead of Southend who could have then argued their game in hand could have seen them out the drop zone. 

The inconsistency in points deductions is a problem.

• Like 1

On 04/05/2020 at 00:23, Mr Popodopolous said:

That idea is a load of bollocks, the removal of relegation!

Incidentally, read stories today that there are six sides who have or are known to have problems with neutral venues- this is the bottom six.

All I can add on that, the PL majority voting regulations stipulate 14/20 needed to carry a motion, implement a rule/rule change.

If 14 do and 6 don't, they're in breach surely- 3 of them would go down certainly... could always send all six down:whistle2:

Hmm, wasn't far off by the looks!? ?

https://mobile.twitter.com/MattHughesDM/status/1258293453806600194

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Think the gist of the tweet/story.

Not read it the article yet but seems to be that the other PL clubs could relegate the bottom 3 if they block project restart.

Haven't read it but I think the PL would vote for a system like France where the table stands/season completed as is and the bottom 3 would go down.

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Think the gist of the tweet/story.

Not read it the article yet but seems to be that the other PL clubs could relegate the bottom 3 if they block project restart.

Yes, but isn't the pressure referred to in this story it in response to the bottom 6 trying to corral to impart their self interest?

On 05/05/2020 at 21:09, daored said:

What would really lift morale is finding a vaccination so we can get to some form of normal life again. Allowing grandparents to hug their grandchildren, families to reunite, bars and restaurants to reopen so we can mix as a society once again. For us not to have to queue outside supermarkets , to be allowed outside other than essential shopping / exercise 

What will not improve my morale is seeing 20 football clubs playing games in empty stadiums, taking up recourse of the emergency services, taking up tests that could be used for front line staff / the general public to allow us to speed up an exit from lockdown and a return to some form of normality. 

Whilst clearly this would be what everyone would prefer a vaccination could be years away or not arrive at all. We can’t wait for it. It has to be treated as a good to have if/when it arrives and not something that starts a return to normality. I also don’t really see how trying to restart football will have a negative impact on vaccination research but I’m happy to be corrected on this.

They claim to have more testing capacity than is currently being used and will continue to expand it before football restarts so that shouldn’t be a major issue (although the government’s record on this is terrible). Clearly if they are taking testing capacity away from more essential areas then this should be a major consideration. The same goes for the emergency services but again I imagine they hope that that the situation is a little less volatile by the time it restarts so it should be manageable. If not then again they will have to have a massive rethink. 

It might not lift your morale but I imagine there are plenty of people who would be delighted to be able to watch some football on TV and have one extra thing to think and talk about that isn’t the virus. They may well come up with some very creative ways of making the viewing experience more appealing especially given that it’s not likely to be a short term fix but could be in place for quite a while.

These people’s livelihoods are directly related to football. They have to think about how to start things again just like every other business in the country.

Edited by Keep the Faith
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mozo said:

Yes, but isn't the pressure referred to in this story it in response to the bottom 6 trying to corral to impart their self interest?

Am with you now.

May well be- and quite right too. I'd say in a fanciful yet just scenario, relegate the bottom 6 and promote the top 6 of this League if the bottom 6 in the PL try and block it- majority 14/20 etc.

God knows how- top 5 then playoffs 6th-9th?

• Like 1