IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

47 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

see above and earlier post, how much unseen hurt do you want to see, but you wont see it will you on any daily graph on the beeb

If it is lifted too soon and it all goes wrong once more then you will really see ‘hurt’. A few more weeks is nothing in the grand scheme of things 

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

You sound like a pale skinned ginger Geordie who refuses to use sunscreen as it's for 'poofs' and then spends a week walking round like you've shat yer self whilst depositing lumps of dead skin in various 'British' bars on the Costa.

Love it!

bit harsh but f in funny.

1 hour ago, GJS said:

There are also articles suggesting the virus hasn’t mutated. It’s always hard to which articles to believe at the moment.

It’s not the news articles that matter in this case. They’re just speculation. 
Scientific journal articles do matter. They tell us the truth, and what is known. 

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Many in this country are incapable of sticking to clear guidelines - the North West now has more people in hospital with Covid19 than London - could it have anything to do with the 1,008 house parties Greater Manchester Police were called to over the Easter weekend?! They just couldn’t stay in could they?! Idiots ...

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/lockdown-what-lockdown-police-called-18090966

I’m sure that played a (small?) part....but people are continuing to catch covid because lockdown isn’t really lockdown.  Enough people are still going about their daily things to a degree....passing on / catching covid.  The fact that R is between 0.5 and 0.9, shows the inconsistency around the country.  Putting more people into the “mix” by relaxing “semi-lockdown” at this stage seems to be a big risk.

If we are going to relax lockdown (whenever) I want it to be communicated to me as an adult.  I want to know the expectations re positive cases, deaths, etc, if for example coffee shops / cafes are allowed to open and what it will mean if ignored.  I want a best case, expected case, worst case together with timeline.  It is only then we can judge. I don’t think I’m asking for much.  If that’s in a 200 page document, some will be happy with a summary.  I’ll happily read all of it, well at least the bits I can understand.  I read the Testing Strategy doc earlier this week....mainly to prove Hancock was lying in the press briefing.  You find out some interesting stuff...I’ve got time on my hands!!!  They fob us off, thinking nobody will check things.

Todays DHSC testing, positive cases and deaths summary slide that came out today was different from previous days.  Since 29/4 it has included a footnote explaining that the all settings death figure is made up of x hospital deaths (under the previous reporting method).  The significance of it missing today, is that we can’t calculate the non-hospital deaths either....the cynical person in me thinks that this is because Johnson had said yesterday that deaths in care homes were seeing a “palpable improvement”.  Today we were unable to check that out, the previous days certainly didn’t give that impression.  The reporting goalposts were moved.  Having said that, on one day there were more deaths in hospital (396) than the overall total deaths (315).  Were 81 of them the covid equivalent of Greg Halford? ???

Apologies can’t send a link as the athletic is behind a paywall, the gist is that league one and two will be abandoned next week and they’re looking at deciding the table on a points per game basis with a weighting to reflect points won away over at home as games played home and away is not equal. It does mean no playoffs however 

E4CD5D78-4701-44E0-89AA-DB1DE2BD2E06.png

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I’m sure that played a (small?) part....but people are continuing to catch covid because lockdown isn’t really lockdown.  Enough people are still going about their daily things to a degree....passing on / catching covid.  The fact that R is between 0.5 and 0.9, shows the inconsistency around the country.  Putting more people into the “mix” by relaxing “semi-lockdown” at this stage seems to be a big risk.

If we are going to relax lockdown (whenever) I want it to be communicated to me as an adult.  I want to know the expectations re positive cases, deaths, etc, if for example coffee shops / cafes are allowed to open and what it will mean if ignored.  I want a best case, expected case, worst case together with timeline.  It is only then we can judge. I don’t think I’m asking for much.  If that’s in a 200 page document, some will be happy with a summary.  I’ll happily read all of it, well at least the bits I can understand.  I read the Testing Strategy doc earlier this week....mainly to prove Hancock was lying in the press briefing.  You find out some interesting stuff...I’ve got time on my hands!!!  They fob us off, thinking nobody will check things.

You want to communicated as an adult? Have you not been watching the series of inept half-wits doing the daily BS? There is absolutely no hope of them ever doing anything in a mature fashion, as the incompetents battle between the economy and lives, and continue ignoring credible science or experiences elsewhere. 
Let’s not forget - Highest death rate in Europe, despite being an island and one of the last Countries affected.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think things have possibly been fraying a bit in the last couple of weeks but overall yes, the country has done pretty well I think.

Few weeks back there was a briefing and I'm sure it showed a model that expected the compliance rate to be about 80%.

Was well in excess of that. Will try and find it online but that's an indicator for sure.

That figure was 82% at yesterdays briefing.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, cityloyal473 said:

So will England and Wales shortly. Sturgeon grandstanding again. 

Is she?

With daily death numbers over 400, that is at least 3,000 per week.

Do you consider that this is acceptable?

And if so, would this number increase quickly if the current lockdown rules were relaxed?

It appears to me that a relaxation now, is based on economics over health.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Is she?

And if so, would this number increase quickly if the current lockdown rules were relaxed?

Exactly that....and Johnson’s need to be feel popular.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Bobby Bollax said:

Scotland extend lockdown for another 3 weeks 

Good. Serves em right.

17 hours ago, cityloyal473 said:

So will England and Wales shortly. Sturgeon grandstanding again. 

I would very surprised if Boris follows that Muppet up north.

14 hours ago, OldlandReddies said:

No chance. Boris letting us out of prison from Monday and rightly so. Sturgeon can do one.

I do have a particular dislike for that woman so anything disparaging said about her gets my support. 

13 hours ago, hodge said:

You realise we're still a month shy of how long Wuhan was in lockdown? And new medical study is suggesting Europe/US has been hit my a mutation of the virus so worse here than in Asia

Known as the G strain... Which is far more prevalent than the D strain experienced mostly in Asia... Even more reason why the lockdowns down here are somewhat over the top. The Philippines have done a puny number of tests so have absolutely no clue and give out numbers which are clearly a miniscule of reality. That said it's not the G strain, as far as we know, the lockdown came too late, March 15th, so it is a complete waste of time.

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

Is she?

We won't know will we.  But we cannot stay locked down forever.  At some point the economic damage far outweighs that caused to health and actually makes succumbing to other illnesses more likely.  Tricky situation to be in and there is probably no right time to unlock.

Although, we aren't coming out of lockdown - you know that right?   We are relaxing a few of the restrictions in gradual phases. People have got their knickers in a twist about this, when it's simple.

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Todays DHSC testing, positive cases and deaths summary slide that came out today was different from previous days.  Since 29/4 it has included a footnote explaining that the all settings death figure is made up of x hospital deaths (under the previous reporting method).  The significance of it missing today, is that we can’t calculate the non-hospital deaths either....the cynical person in me thinks that this is because Johnson had said yesterday that deaths in care homes were seeing a “palpable improvement”.  Today we were unable to check that out, the previous days certainly didn’t give that impression.  The reporting goalposts were moved.  Having said that, on one day there were more deaths in hospital (396) than the overall total deaths (315).  Were 81 of them the covid equivalent of Greg Halford? ???

I’m sure a separate figure was issued before the daily briefing for deaths in hospitals yesterday, allowing a calculation for ‘other’ settings....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I’m sure a separate figure was issued before the daily briefing for deaths in hospitals yesterday, allowing a calculation for ‘other’ settings....

That’s the NHS England figure, which when added to the other countries never added up to the daily hospital figure they used to give in the daily press briefings.

On 05/05/2020 at 07:57, Mr Popodopolous said:

Complexities for the EFL and all games on iFollow- possibly.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8286383/EFL-bid-rewrite-deal-Sky-Sports-order-broadcast-league-matches-live-iFollow.html

I know some on here don't like Daily Mail articles and I've certainly no love of their politics- but it IS good for Football League related news and Matt Hughes, good journo.

Slightly old news but surprise, surprise...

Adrian Bevington eh. A quick Google search confirms he's ex Aston Villa or at least was there in an advisory role in 2016- Grr!! That said he's from Middlesbrough, could just be bad journalism.

How I dislike that club...

Hi POP,

Hope you are doing well. I have been looking out everywhere and no sign of English prem in oz this year being played down under.  Any updates ??

in oz today the government implemented a 3 stage get back in regards to COVID and things are developing well. Restrictions are Still in place however easy to achieve the  government programme which includes AFL, NRL and Ozzie soccer will soon commence. Social distancing measures are changing with some states starting to open pubs and restaurants with limited numbers, parks open, swimming pools open. Interstate travel is still closed across Australia.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

I think a Monday release might depend on how well behaved people are over the weekend.

They wont be... having parties on the site I live on. But of course being British with highest death toll, we are all immune. I just dont believe our citizens some times. They Bl**dy baffle me

• Like 1

17 hours ago, OldlandReddies said:

Dont think anyone is gambling with anyone's lives. We've been kept in for 7 weeks now which is an extraordinary amount of time and it's fine its job of helping the NHS cope. We now need to get back to normality as soon as we can without going overboard. If we extend lockdown further then this country will sink. Boris Johnsons doing the right thing for all of us going forward.

Virus has gone then has it OR ? On one side I have a PA to a Surgeon in Royal Devon and Exeter who says we must stay a while longer or risk a major second spike  and down the road a friend is a Nurse in a Nursing Home and also Wells Hospital and had her 23rd person die on her yesterday !!!

Edited by oldstandrobin
  • Like 3

Davefes, 

WA and NT are streets ahead of the other states and territories around reduction in numbers and wa only had one yesterday positive case in 7 days which was related back to an over sees traveler. NT nothing now for 3 weeks. Nationally the toll is still just under 100 of which 75 were traceable back to cruise liners visiting Australia. NSW and VIC are stil getting pockets around health centres and some wok places. In comparison to other countries around the world Australia are so lucky. I maintain contact with the family in the UK daily and you guys are all doing it tough.

good luck

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cityloyal473 said:

We won't know will we.  But we cannot stay locked down forever.  At some point the economic damage far outweighs that caused to health and actually makes succumbing to other illnesses more likely.  Tricky situation to be in and there is probably no right time to unlock.

Although, we aren't coming out of lockdown - you know that right?   We are relaxing a few of the restrictions in gradual phases. People have got their knickers in a twist about this, when it's simple.

We’ll be under some sort of lockdown for a while yet. Small adjustments will happen along the way. The term ‘ lifting the lockdown ‘ needs to be rephrased to adjusting the lockdown. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

We all know why Boris is waiting to make a few minor changes, its to keep us under control until Monday when many will be back to work.

Mass charges to fast food/diy and recycling centres have shown what any releasing of the lead will do for instance; easing travel restrictions, allowing large shops/garden centres to open would have brought chaos over a bank hol week-end.

Dont like the changes made to the death record graphs shown daily by the way, as soon as the death rates in hospitals started to drop, care homes and home deaths were suddenly added in to "boost it up and again keep us "worried" and under control.

As said before its madness to keep vital machines tied up in the virus standby hospitals, when actual hospitals and hundreds of non virus patients need them and now.....these machines are no use under plastic sheeting GIVE THEM BACK BORIS.

14 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Our grandparents/great grandparents were asked/told go to war, we have been asked to stay at home, drink beer, video call our family and friends and relax.

For those of you who had lost people, my condolences.

For those of you moaning, have a word with yourself.

I think this is a pretty rosy picture tbh. Not even just including the deaths but it clearly isn't a war.

You're overlooking significant economic knock on effects in your analysis- bit skewed towards positivity really. Bit one-sided.

Darragh McAnthony getting ready for a lawsuit it seems....

He proposed plans for the EFL restarting but all his plans were based on their being enough spare tests for all leagues to be regularly tested three weeks from now (9 weeks from the time). The PL are talking of needing 40,000 tests, so in theory all leagues would need 160,000 odd, anyone really think think government would get to the point of having 20,000 odd spare tests a week in 3 weeks? Very unlikely I'd guess and therefore McAnthony's suggestions for restart are hard to back. 

13 minutes ago, hodge said:

Darragh McAnthony getting ready for a lawsuit it seems....

He proposed plans for the EFL restarting but all his plans were based on their being enough spare tests for all leagues to be regularly tested three weeks from now (9 weeks from the time). The PL are talking of needing 40,000 tests, so in theory all leagues would need 160,000 odd, anyone really think think government would get to the point of having 20,000 odd spare tests a week in 3 weeks? Very unlikely I'd guess and therefore McAnthony's suggestions for restart are hard to back. 

Blokes not happy unless he can hear his own voice.

It’s not going to happen in League 1 and 2. The clubs just can’t afford it as the cost vs penalty of broadcast refund doesn’t way up favourably.

In the Championship the stakes are so much higher so we’ll give it a go if we can. The Premier league have to win their internal club war first though!