IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

I'm sure this has nothing to do with McAnthony's decision if the adjusted system would move Peterborough out of the play offs (surely Wycombe move above them).... bit of a conflict of interest over just deciding to end the season....

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/peterborough-united-chairman-will-quit-his-post-if-posh-dont-make-league-one-play-offs-1369328

15 minutes ago, hodge said:

I'm sure this has nothing to do with McAnthony's decision if the adjusted system would move Peterborough out of the play offs (surely Wycombe move above them).... bit of a conflict of interest over just deciding to end the season....

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/peterborough-united-chairman-will-quit-his-post-if-posh-dont-make-league-one-play-offs-1369328

I`m not sure - I get the impression they`re looking at some sort of Duckworth/Lewis scenario where the strength of the opposition is taken into account. Three points won v Southend or Bolton will presumably not be valued as highly as three v Oxford or Pompey, something like that.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52595505

Now PL clubs are appearing to want to let lower league clubs die so that they can then have a B team for there squads. Why not give them the money to survive and why share resources, I am sure Brighton were not saying things like this when they were at the Withdean.

6 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52595505

Now PL clubs are appearing to want to let lower league clubs die so that they can then have a B team for there squads. Why not give them the money to survive and why share resources, I am sure Brighton were not saying things like this when they were at the Withdean.

I saw that and thought the same. The paragraph in the middle is quite interesting though (forget the first line about ground sharing)  - it would appear that Steve`s vision for the future may turn out to be not too far from reality.

If the worst case scenario happened of clubs going out of business I’d rather see the football league operate with less clubs or more pushed up from the conference than allow B teams. Of course the ideal thing to do would be for the premier league and it’s teams to be generous and help out the lower leagues.....

26 minutes ago, hodge said:

If the worst case scenario happened of clubs going out of business I’d rather see the football league operate with less clubs or more pushed up from the conference than allow B teams. Of course the ideal thing to do would be for the premier league and it’s teams to be generous and help out the lower leagues.....

Unfortunately it won’t happen , although we keep getting told it’s being returned for the good of the game. I personally can’t see football returning in the timetable being discussed , as if being reported lockdown is not being eased for another 3 weeks - early June for games looking unlikely - 

48 minutes ago, daored said:

Unfortunately it won’t happen , although we keep getting told it’s being returned for the good of the game. I personally can’t see football returning in the timetable being discussed , as if being reported lockdown is not being eased for another 3 weeks - early June for games looking unlikely - 

Depends how long of a 'mini pre-season' they need, if they can go back to training at failand given there would be no contact with anyone else given the amount of space there, they could do things like high intensity interval training to get players close to a physical level to perform it would just be sharpness with a ball lacking which all teams would be in the same boat, but physically they may be okay given the allowance of 5 subs.

20 hours ago, hodge said:

Of course, we could always close tax loopholes, stop bailing out tax avoiders, and use that revenue to protect community assets and other businesses adversely affected by the virus. PL players could donate a portion of their salaries to help struggling clubs. 

4 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

I don’t think the nation will hear what they want to hear from Boris later, unfortunately.

This just isn’t going away.

It shows how football views itself and how money driven it is. Football should had been cancelled ages ago. 

I hope Boris reenforces the absolute shit position we are in instead of people thinking we are going back to normal.   

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, daored said:

I didn’t know Brighton had two players who had tested positive - is this recent ?

Back in March I believe.

To me it confirms the season should be scrapped and focus put into making next season work. Hand Liverpool the title, they deserve it. Everything else is irrelevant in terms of promotions and relegations. The players aren’t even going to be match fit for a long time, if at all this season, and the rules about distancing and even spitting will make it impossible for them to play football!

Invest all the money they are talking about it taking to get the premier league finished this season into where it’s needed most. All those tests that would need to be constantly carried out, give them to the care homes and hospitals.

It is clear that the risk is still too high for people to mix and for football to resume anytime soon.  Hopefully the infection rate will continue to decline over the summer months. My suggestion would be to restart and complete the previous season in full from September. The 2020-21 season should then be reduced so that it completes around the time it originally would have. This might be only playing once against each opponent in 2020-21.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

To be fair, he has a point. For me the season has to finish or it has to be voided 

But by his own plans we had to start again in 3 weeks time, he himself has admitted finically problems in lower leagues and contracts so how far can you push back? 

6 minutes ago, hodge said:

But by his own plans we had to start again in 3 weeks time, he himself has admitted finically problems in lower leagues and contracts so how far can you push back? 

I don't think you can. For me the season has to be voided. We are nowhere near ready to even think about reducing the 'lockdown' ....let alone having players ready to play competitive football

The season is done sadly. It's disappointing as, although we were relatively poor....we had a genuine shot at 6th spot. 

The authorities no it's over. There is just no one brave enough to make the decision 

Do people honestly think that nobody is going to test positive, it's bound to happen. We have to either learn to live with it or lock ourselves away for a couple of years and do nothing until a vaccine is found. Doing this will be a lot more damaging however.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vincent Vega said:

So is that 14 days isolation then ?

I guess Bundesliga could push back another week to give them time to complete isolation.

Re Prem League, Steve Parish was on Andrew Marr this morning.  He actually talk sensibly.  He doesn’t say “we must do this”, “we can’t do that”....he just talks about there being options, some of them preferred, some not in his opinion.  Big meeting tomorrow!!!

11 minutes ago, Packman said:

Do people honestly think that nobody is going to test positive, it's bound to happen. We have to either learn to live with it or lock ourselves away for a couple of years and do nothing until a vaccine is found. Doing this will be a lot more damaging however.

Exactly. We're stuck in a half way house at the moment, the two options should be containment or mitigation. The lockdown we have will never achieve containment because its not strict enough and then we are far too tough to be following a mitigation strategy because there is a mentality of 1 case is too one too many still.

In the context of football this is going to keep rumbeling on and on and until there becomes an acceptance that there will be cases but we just need to move along taking reasonable precautions then nothing will be able to get started because odd cases will keep popping up.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I guess Bundesliga could push back another week to give them time to complete isolation.

Re Prem League, Steve Parish was on Andrew Marr this morning.  He actually talk sensibly.  He doesn’t say “we must do this”, “we can’t do that”....he just talks about there being options, some of them preferred, some not in his opinion.  Big meeting tomorrow!!!

What are your own thoughts Dave ?          Personally I think they should cancel it.