IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I'm sure the Premier League will try and finish the season like the Bundesliga and La Liga, but the Championship and Leagues 1 and 2 are surely over now. 

Regarding the Bundesliga, La Liga and Premier League it is clear that the players are not going to agree to being in team isolation for the seven weeks required to finish the season. This means that during the time set aside to complete the season, the players and staff will still be living at home and therefore be exposed to the virus through contact in the community. This will almost certainly result in players testing positive for the virus during the season as has already happened at Brighton and Dresden. 

Once a player or member of staff tests positive then that entire club needs to go into self-isolation for two weeks; how does that club then fulfill its fixtures? It can't. What if it comes out of isolation after two weeks only for another player to test positive a few days later? Another two weeks of isolation.

The thought that this could actually work in practice is mad. The chances of any of these three divisions being completed must be tiny. 

Agree that L1 and L2 season will almost certainly be over bar promotion and relegation arguments and clubs will be compensated. Don't agree re Championship. Think most if not all clubs in Championship would be able to take financial hit re football behind closed doors and would also vote yes to getting season finished. Convinced they'll be given green light to start training soon and then conclude season in June. 

41 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

Agree that L1 and L2 season will almost certainly be over bar promotion and relegation arguments and clubs will be compensated. Don't agree re Championship. Think most if not all clubs in Championship would be able to take financial hit re football behind closed doors and would also vote yes to getting season finished. Convinced they'll be given green light to start training soon and then conclude season in June. 

Yep. Despite what I thought yesterday which turned out to be completely wrong I now think we`ll just follow whatever the Premier League decide.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OldlandReddies said:

PL to reconsider playing Home and Away fixtures. The more I hear the more I think it'll be full steam ahead in June. 

Disagree too many will vote against it to achieve a null and void season and remove relegation 

@Kid in the Riot what’s the view of our club / players of restarting the season ? Not that I think it will happen 

Bowyer calling for the table to be as it was after 23 games so everyone had played each other once, says the club would be killed if they were sent down.... so how were they planning on surviving if they were relegated normally?

After 23 games top 3 were 1) WBA, 2) Leeds 3) Sheffield Wednesday..... 22) Barnsley, 23) Wigan, 24) Stoke

Edited by hodge

32 minutes ago, hodge said:

Bowyer calling for the table to be as it was after 23 games so everyone had played each other once, says the club would be killed if they were sent down.... so how were they planning on surviving if they were relegated normally?

After 23 games top 3 were 1) WBA, 2) Leeds 3) Sheffield Wednesday..... 22) Barnsley, 23) Wigan, 24) Stoke

Insane suggestion isnt it !

38 minutes ago, hodge said:

Out of interest when Charlton had played 23, had everyone else also played 23....seem to recall Forest having a game to catch up from earlier in the season?

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Out of interest when Charlton had played 23, had everyone else also played 23....seem to recall Forest having a game to catch up from earlier in the season?

After game week 23 everyone had played the same games, however everyone won't have played everyone. Charlton had played us and I think Derby twice by this stage, so there's potentially teams who have played say Leeds/West Brom/Fulham/Brentford twice but may not have played the bottom 3 at the time, so whats less fair that or having completed 75% of the season. Charlton have a bitter taste in their mouth as it was their loss to Middlesbrough 6 days before the season was postponed that dropped them into the bottom 3 and Middlesbrough climbed out. He's calling it a travesty if they went down, but you hear of teams dropping in only on the last day, or great escapes where teams get out last day. Yes those situations have been played to conclusion but to say 'relegation is wrong as we've only been in there 6 days' seems weak on its own.

• Like 1

On 10/05/2020 at 22:24, S25loyal said:

It’s clear that covid risks a lot more than flu does, also like you said there are vaccines for those. 

Measles for example is normally 0 or 1 deaths per a year in the uk. 

Flu kills around 10k a year in the uk, we have hit triple that With covid in a few months with absolutely no clear sign when or how it will end. 

If football starts again without a vaccine and fans attending there will be quite a lot of people who simply won’t go. Someone with it sitting in a stand could infect a load of people. 

90% of those who have passed away are over 80 and a higher percentage than that had an underlying condition. 

It is total muppetry that the world has to stop for everyone.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mozo said:

So the point stands that if a pub can open, with people shoulder to shoulder, from July perhaps, then a bunch of blokes who adhere to social distancing guidelines should be able to play a game of footy.

Go on I'm intrigued. How can you actually play football under social distancing guidelines? Corners are going to be different with everyone stood 2m apart!?

3 hours ago, havanatopia said:

90% of those who have passed away are over 80 and a higher percentage than that had an underlying condition. 

Where did you find that 90% figure from ? The only figure I could find was 20% of deaths were people over 80, that may not be recent tho.

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

BBC report that premier league players out of contract on 30.06 can mutually agree to extend until “end of season”

I was listening to something on this the other day and the feeling was that players OOC wouldn’t risk continuing to play after their contract end date as it would risk injury. Say you are 30 years old and hoping for one last big contract but you break your leg playing in a game on the 10th July. That would be your career pretty much over at a decent level.

The advice to players was walk away (apparently they get a month’s severance pay through to the end of July anyway which I didn’t know was the case) take that months pay and get a new club by August.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hodge said:

He's calling it a travesty if they went down, but you hear of teams dropping in only on the last day, or great escapes where teams get out last day.

I remember a team, can't think of their name, in the basement of the entire football league, getting relegated to non-league on the last day of the season despite having not been in the relegation places all season. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

58 minutes ago, weepywall said:

Where did you find that 90% figure from ? The only figure I could find was 20% of deaths were people over 80, that may not be recent tho.

He didn’t find that figure, or if he did he found it off some fake news site or twitter and lapped it up like a gullible idiot because it agrees with his view/agenda.

I do agree that we need to slowly get back to normal if there’s no imminent vaccine or adequate testing, but can’t stand stupid people who create, believe and spread utter rubbish because of their ignorance.

The people who are pushing us to get back out there were also probably celebrating VE Day on Friday, getting teary over Colonel Tom and clapping for the NHS on Thursday, which in my mind makes them hypocritical because if they actually gave a shit about protecting the greatest generation or the NHS and other key workers they’d keep their mouths shut and follow the reasonable government advice, instead of selfishly wondering when they can get a McDonald’s, haircut, pint in a pub. By the way I do understand the economic repercussions of lockdown, I do also understand that if we leave lockdown too early because of idiot pressure then we’re more likely to end up back in and spending more time in lockdown.

I have elderly and vulnerable parents and my partner is a frontline nurse at Southmead, even if this weren’t the case I’m not stupid enough to think my needs are greater than the safety and the needs of those in those particular groups.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, weepywall said:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsinvolvingcovid19englandandwales/deathsoccurringinmarch2020#characteristics-of-those-dying-from-covid-19.     According to the ONS 90% of those who died in the UK are over 65. So not accurate to say over 80 but the fact it is predominantly older people is true. Look at Fig 7 in this article. Around 60% are over 80. This is for March. 

Edited by robin_unreliant
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

I remember a team, can't think of their name, in the basement of the entire football league, getting relegated to non-league on the last day of the season despite having not been in the relegation places all season. 

Blackburn Rovers Football Club? Was a team that played in Blue and white yes?

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, zombie said:

He didn’t find that figure, or if he did he found it off some fake news site or twitter and lapped it up like a gullible idiot because it agrees with his view/agenda.

I do agree that we need to slowly get back to normal if there’s no imminent vaccine or adequate testing, but can’t stand stupid people who create, believe and spread utter rubbish because of their ignorance.

The people who are pushing us to get back out there were also probably celebrating VE Day on Friday, getting teary over Colonel Tom and clapping for the NHS on Thursday, which in my mind makes them hypocritical because if they actually gave a shit about protecting the greatest generation or the NHS and other key workers they’d keep their mouths shut and follow the reasonable government advice, instead of selfishly wondering when they can get a McDonald’s, haircut, pint in a pub. By the way I do understand the economic repercussions of lockdown, I do also understand that if we leave lockdown too early because of idiot pressure then we’re more likely to end up back in and spending more time in lockdown.

I have elderly and vulnerable parents and my partner is a frontline nurse at Southmead, even if this weren’t the case I’m not stupid enough to think my needs are greater than the safety and the needs of those in those particular groups.

Your comments regarding the older generation is abysmal. Getting teary over Tom ...and blaming them for pushing to get back to normal is just plain wrong. I am not a  sentimentalist,  but in the case of Tom it was a fantastic show of genorisity and appreciation for someone who served his country, thankfully we are all not like you, and appreciate real heroes. You also deride those that clap! In appreciation of NHS staff, and this according to you is an older generation thing, news for you its not, kids are very much involved. And all this from someone who's partner is a NHS worker. Crazy and confusing.

36 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

only in the relegation zone for  (the last) 20 minutes of the season ....surely that was unfair and a special case should have been made to allow them to stay up

• Haha 2

I think this is going to come down to player power , Villa have already said they will have three players who won’t be able to play due to health issues. 

Sterling has come out with concerns about returning (reported he has lost a family member to Covid), Aguero has also said he’s ‘scared’ to return and Danny Rose has spoken out about the return of football. These are the players we know of. 

Oxford University are now estimating that there’s 140,000 people in the uk infected with coronavirus which is 0.24% of the population, it could be that lockdown has brought that number down dramatically although that isn’t really reflected in the governments own data or it’s like how i said at the start that it started in November/December and that millions have already had it 

It would be tragic if it’s the latter people would’ve needlessly lost their livelihoods while cases of mental health issues and domestic violence have rocketed 

Obviously finding those 140,000 is like looking for a needle in a haystack but it does beg the question whether a vaccine is necessary 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, havanatopia said:

As long as your ok that’s fine, don’t worry about others.

What a lovely world we live in. 

20 minutes ago, walnutroof said:

Oxford University are now estimating that there’s 140,000 people in the uk infected with coronavirus which is 0.24% of the population, it could be that lockdown has brought that number down dramatically although that isn’t really reflected in the governments own data or it’s like how i said at the start that it started in November/December and that millions have already had it 

It would be tragic if it’s the latter people would’ve needlessly lost their livelihoods while cases of mental health issues and domestic violence have rocketed 

Obviously finding those 140,000 is like looking for a needle in a haystack but it does beg the question whether a vaccine is necessary 

If that is the case with your theory on November/December why has there only been a surge of deaths across Europe the last couple of months? 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, walnutroof said:

Somebody in my office had what was in retrospect classic CV19 with loss of sesne of taste and smell; this was January I think.

She was in all through the three weeks that she would have had it so that would mean everyone in that office got it and then passed it on at home, at football games and then onto schools.

I genuinely expect that the majority of people of working age and below have had it because it was widely circulating well before lockdown.  Maybe 70 - 80%; and the majority of those without feeling particularly unwell.

The people who didn't get it would have been those who weren't having this close daily contact with other people - primarily the elderly and infirm.

Whilst this is in the category of "I reckon" a random US sampling of 100 people found that a third had hit.  That's not enough to be statistically significant but I await wider testing with interest as I would say that the much vaunted "herd immunity" was achieved in January - March for the working age population but that there was a second wave amongst a more isolated subsection of the population, the elderly, that took much longer to take off and in that subsection became big news because it was a much more serious infection for them.