IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

1 hour ago, The Bard said:

My dislike of Danny Rose started during his "I don't to be here" loan spell with us and continues through his shocking England performances (how many caps?) and everytime he decides to open his mouth basically.  

The likes of him and Rooney really don't get how massively privileged they are as Mozo points out. I have to visit people as part of my job, including the vulnerable and elderly and I am lucky to have been able to get 3 pairs of PPE gloves and 1 mask to last me. The danger to him and the other players will be greater when they are at home rather than when they are away playing football. By all means let them withdraw from playing, but don't pay them at all if they do. 

Premier league footballers will be the most pampered and protected 'workers' around...I bet my local supermarket girl wished she had that much protection and that level of immediate testing..

I actually dont really think football should start yet, as it doesn't sit well with me ..but this type of whinging holds no substance I'm afraid.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Just a random thought. If the Government say that football can resume behind closed doors from, say, mid-June that will only apply in England. If the Welsh Government (who have been much stricter throughout all this) say it can`t where does that leave Cardiff, Swansea & Newport? Neutral venues for their `home` games?

It leaves them at long last chucked out of the English Football League?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

True colours shining through. 

I think it’s more of a threat to the teams at the bottom dithering through meetings to push for no relegation and not being serious about how they could restart.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Bard said:

NO they wouldn't.  People are still travelling to Wales to work as would the players. 

The travel be is intended to stop people trying to go camping on the Gower or mountaineering in the Black Mountains or Snowdonia

I thought it was stated last night that you couldn’t travel to other parts of the UK, ruling out England to Wales or vice-versa?

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I thought it was stated last night that you couldn’t travel to other parts of the UK, ruling out England to Wales or vice-versa?

hmmm think it goes a something little like this......

“**** Off back to league of wales 

**** Off back to league of wales 

**** off back 

**** off back 

**** Off back to league of wales you.....

With regards to Wales being out of bounds to the English for leisure, not sure if this has been mentioned on here before. Did anyone see the Welsh Heddlu WPC plod on TV? I thought it might be a "Little Britain" sketch, but it was real: "You don't be comin' over 'ere boyo or we'll nick you ..." - great character.

Maybe we could sponsor Scotty to relay back and forth across the bridge to the "Croeso" sign in his classic pose - you know - like Major Tom. It could raise a lot of money for the NHS.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Champion Dung Spreader said:

With regards to Wales being out of bounds to the English for leisure, not sure if this has been mentioned on here before. Did anyone see the Welsh Heddlu WPC plod on TV? I thought it might be a "Little Britain" sketch, but it was real: "You don't be comin' over 'ere boyo or we'll nick you ..." - great character.

Maybe we could sponsor Scotty to relay back and forth across the bridge to the "Croeso" sign in his classic pose - you know - like Major Tom. It could raise a lot of money for the NHS.

There`s a golf club in Shropshire apparently that has 15 holes in England and 3 in Wales...………......

35 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

There`s a golf club in Shropshire apparently that has 15 holes in England and 3 in Wales...………......

Someone I know once told me they'd been to Wales for the weekend - when I asked her whereabouts she replied "Hereford". 

• Haha 1

https://www.canaries.co.uk/News/2020/may/club-update-on-ticket-and-membership-rebates/

I would assume all clubs will follow this (as an option alongside other options potentially)

Looks like a full refund for the remaining games will be heading  to season ticket holders 

Edited by The Humble Realist

4 hours ago, The Humble Realist said:

https://www.canaries.co.uk/News/2020/may/club-update-on-ticket-and-membership-rebates/

I would assume all clubs will follow this (as an option alongside other options potentially)

Looks like a full refund for the remaining games will be heading  to season ticket holders 

That’s pathetic. The worst team in the league after 75% of the season in desperate attempt to save their skins and rob millions in undeserving tv cash shocker!!!!

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, milo1111 said:

That’s pathetic. The worst team in the league after 75% of the season in desperate attempt to save their skins and rob millions in undeserving tv cash shocker!!!!

Save their skins by refunding tickets for games that will not be played with fans? Did you read the article?

• Haha 4

27 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Save their skins by refunding tickets for games that will not be played with fans? Did you read the article?

I suspect the poster mistakenly thought it was this story:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/may/13/norwich-want-championship-promotion-scrapped-if-season-does-not-finish

Which is pathetic. Norwich quite rightly have a say in how the Premier League season ends and they are perfectly entitled to have a view on the outcome of that and how relegation issues are settled within the context of the COVID-19 epidemic.

They quite rightly do not have a say on how the football league is resolved and the decision of how promotion is settled is absolutely none of their business. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Robin101 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52651502

Championship set to return on the 13th June according to this.

Would love to see this, but I just cant see it being safe. Currently being discussed on GMB

Firstly how can we justify testing every footballer when frontline staff still arent getting tests/results quickly enough? Our capacity for testing has dropped since we hit that debatable 100k target. 60k people tested on 11th May.

Secondly, you cant trust fans not to congregate. People will meet in parks, round houses etc to watch the football. If Liverpool / Leeds are about to win their first league in years, do you think their fans will all stay at home and watch on their TV, in the hight of summer? No chance I'm afraid.

Then there's the argument that people cant see both parents/grandchildren etc but 20+ football matches can take place across the country?

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Would love to see this, but I just cant see it being safe. Currently being discussed on GMB

Firstly how can we justify testing every footballer when frontline staff still arent getting tests/results quickly enough? Our capacity for testing has dropped since we hit that debatable 100k target. 60k people tested on 11th May.

Secondly, you cant trust fans not to congregate. People will meet in parks, round houses etc to watch the football. If Liverpool / Leeds are about to win their first league in years, do you think their fans will all stay at home and watch on their TV, in the hight of summer? No chance I'm afraid.

Then there's the argument that people cant see both parents/grandchildren etc but 20+ football matches can take place across the country?

Add in 300 people in the ground , players , staff , media etc

If the clubs get their way and refuse to play at neutral grounds , how do they travel to away games , do they stay over ? Are we then testing hotel staff  etc? If the players go home after a game do we test their families?

Completely after it is naive to think that fans won’t gather to watch games , celebrate winning the league , getting promoted etc. IF football comes back , we will see games of a ‘kick about’ in local parks etc- 1000 people have died in the last two day’s - it is far too soon to be considering this.

Sorry to be a killjoy but if football clubs are able to source these number of tests and test resource - these should be used for NHS staff not tested , care workers , bus drivers , supermarket workers , refuse collectors , post men & women , nursery staff , school teachers and any other key workers - if they’ve all be tested happy days let the football commence 

15 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Read online that Leeds have started refunds to season ticket holders for the remaining games. Don't know how accurate it is though.

Club working on refund and club credit options

Leeds United would like to reassure Season Ticket Holders and those who have purchased tickets for individual games (including hospitality customers) that we are working on refund and club credit options for our remaining Championship fixtures along with our Centenary game following announcements from the Government this week.

We thank supporters for their patience on this matter, the club will contact all those affected as soon as details are confirmed.

My bank account keeps increasing ?

59 minutes ago, Super said:

Not a chance football will be back in a month.

Yep, agree.

Now for those footballers (who I agree with BTW) concerned about health and safety, they are going to have a decision to make should they feel that they don't want to be involved.  If they feel it is not safe, then in my eyes it shouldn't be safe for them until there is a vaccine. With that being years away, they are potentially throwing themselves onto the scrapheap.  

1 hour ago, daored said:

Add in 300 people in the ground , players , staff , media etc

If the clubs get their way and refuse to play at neutral grounds , how do they travel to away games , do they stay over ? Are we then testing hotel staff  etc? If the players go home after a game do we test their families?

Completely after it is naive to think that fans won’t gather to watch games , celebrate winning the league , getting promoted etc. IF football comes back , we will see games of a ‘kick about’ in local parks etc- 1000 people have died in the last two day’s - it is far too soon to be considering this.

Sorry to be a killjoy but if football clubs are able to source these number of tests and test resource - these should be used for NHS staff not tested , care workers , bus drivers , supermarket workers , refuse collectors , post men & women , nursery staff , school teachers and any other key workers - if they’ve all be tested happy days let the football commence 

I agree with the sentiment of your post that football shouldn't be returning at present but as the clubs are hellbent on it I think they will have to accept some compromises i.e. with regards away games they would have to accept that hotel stays are not feasible and the journey would have to be coached in and straight back out after the game no matter the mileage between the teams. All non-essential matchday staff would need to stay away from the games other than the manager, assistant and physio / doctor who else needs to be in attendance? You could even argue the manager should go it alone i.e. no Macca / Deano for us in attendance (although the counter-argument is that they would presumably be spending trainin sessions with the players so why not attend I suppose)

As for activities outside the ground I don't think this is for the clubs to solve, if people choose to ignore social distancing methods then that is their responsibility, for example if football does return and City put together a run of results that takes us into the playoffs and we end up getting promoted I wouldn't even contemplate heading straight into town to celebrate. Anyone who did would be extremely selfish to do so and would be liable for fines in accordance with current police measures.

6 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

Yep, agree.

Now for those footballers (who I agree with BTW) concerned about health and safety, they are going to have a decision to make should they feel that they don't want to be involved.  If they feel it is not safe, then in my eyes it shouldn't be safe for them until there is a vaccine. With that being years away, they are potentially throwing themselves onto the scrapheap.  

Agreed although this then becomes a contentious issue for the clubs paying their wages especially if some do and some don't