IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

Just leave it to the health experts. If they say it's safe to start playing again, then it's safe. If we reacted to all the ifs and buts people keep throwing out there then we wouldn't get anywhere in life. We need to crack on now or else we will fall in to deep recession and there Will be many more casualties than even this virus has affected.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dolman_Stand said:

The health of those involved?

A footballers life at the higher level can involve being away from loved ones for many weeks in tournaments. Therefore I personally see no issue with players being effectively tested, cleared and then quarantined with their team mates and support staff, to play a series of games against likewise tested and cleared oppositon in empty stadia "manned" by a skeleton staff of tested and cleared people..

UFC are doing this.

TV income could save a few clubs lower down the food chain if of course the greedy bastards at the top allowed some cash to trickle down the pyramid and/or the terrestrial stations took on a few games.

With no crowds games could literally be played all hours so Prem between 11am and 3pm Champ 3pm - 7pm and so on.

I would cancel the european tournaments though. Nobody being nailed on to win and still lots of sensitivities over crossing borders.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

I don’t get it.  Still waiting for a strong argument for scrapping it. Every argument so far can be easily dismissed.

If by scrapping, you mean null and void, expunging records, etc, I’m with you...that imho is the last of last resorts. 

The health of those involved?

As above, the season can be “ended” and lots of options available from:

- ppg, etc

- no relegation (or promotion)

- and variations of the above

to determine final placings.

Unless we can finish by end of July, I’d “end” it now.

Even if we do start again say mid-June, the EFL must (in my opinion) at least decide what rules they are going to use if it has to stop again, because there is a real chance it might need to stop.

I’d probably end it now, and focus on preparing for next season. That is a different view to what I had 2 months ago, but things have changed. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bengalcub said:

How safe would then be the opinion of some or no players......will it ever be safe enough for some 

There is risk with every job but most of us can social distance which football and a lot of other sports can't. The main problem is that this isnt going away anytime soon.

1 hour ago, daored said:

You need to listen to Denney talk , an ill son who clearly is at risk if he brings the virus home. Tammy talking about his father - these are legitimate concerns. Whilst the training grounds will be clean and probably safer than anywhere else right now - you still have players who are not obeying the rules.

What happens if a players is tested positive a week after a game ? Are all his teammates and the opposition expected to self isolate for 14 days - how do you then play the following week?

You want a reason - 545 died yesterday because of this virus, testing in this country is a joke and let the football ‘world’ can take up testing kits and get results within 48 hours several times a week. Whilst I appreciate the clubs have paid for these and are not taking away from front line workers , if you have 50,000 tests available and testing resource give to the government - lets get our NHS staff , care workers , shop workers , binmen, school teachers then if you have more available the general public - test, trace and contain we’ll beat the virus - the more we test the quicker businesses can reopen , get the economy moving - a deep, deep recession awaits us- which we’ll be paying for years. But hey 22 blokes kicking a football is more important than all that 

Why don’t you listen to what I am saying before launching a ridiculous tirade about health.

Start football again WHEN IT IS SAFE TO DO SO. 

Can you explain why scrapping a season instead of just finishing it improves the risk? Thanks 

6 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

What?  How does scrapping a season improve people’s health?  The virus isn’t lesser if the season starts a fresh or if it carries on.  Can you expand on your point regarding health?

I'm talking about the players health and that of their families, at the moment we are all being told to stay 2m away from eachother which isn't possible in football (and many other sports).

By bringing football back at this time IMO is putting players at more risk than is necessary.

Edited by Dolman_Stand
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Dolman_Stand said:

I'm talking about the players health and that of their families, at the moment we are all being told to stay 2m away from eachother which isn't possible in football (and many other sports).

By bringing football back at this time IMO is putting players at more risk than is necessary.

Which means we wait. Nobody wanting the season to finish is saying that it must be done straightaway if it isn't safe yet.

• Admin
11 hours ago, reddoh said:

what happened to the twentieth are  they all dead?

Not sure why but Norwich only tested yesterday

11 hours ago, hodge said:

Think they tested today so will be revealed amongst the second set of results this week

Watford have 3 confirmed cases, seems Deeney had a point when not wanting to return

TAKEN FROM: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52726278

One player and two staff at Watford and Burnley assistant manager Ian Woan are among six positive Premier League tests for coronavirus.

The other two are at a third club, the details of which have not been revealed.

Players and staff who have tested positive will now self-isolate for seven days.

It comes as squads started non-contact training on Tuesday, as the Premier League steps up plans for a restart.

A total of 748 players and staff from 19 clubs were tested. Norwich City did their tests on Tuesday.

Watford confirmed a player and two members of staff had tested positive but they would not be naming those involved as they had asked for medical confidentiality.

Before the news about Watford's positive tests emerged, captain Troy Deeney said he would not return to training because he feared for his family's health.

"We're due back in this week. I've said I'm not going in," Deeney, 31, told Eddie Hearn and Tony Bellew on the Talk the Talk YouTube show.

"It only takes one person to get infected within the group and I don't want to be bringing that home.

"My son is only five months old. He had breathing difficulties, so I don't want to come home to put him in more danger."

Burnley said Woan was "asymptomatic" and "currently safe and well at home".

"He will remain in close communication with club personnel regarding his re-engagement in training once he is clear of the virus," the club added.

Just now, Northern Red said:

Which means we wait. Nobody wanting the season to finish is saying that it must be done straightaway if it isn't safe yet.

I get that point but surely you can only wait so long before the impact on next season, Euro's, 2021/22 season, World Cup becomes too great to allow due to the backlog of fixtures. On top of this you have issues with player contracts, loans and the like which all expire at the end of June as well as a number of players which will not return to play in the current circumstances which then compromises the integrity of the competition if those players are no longer involved, you can imagine the arguments and possible legal challenges from clubs that are relegated from the PL or miss out on promotion from the Champ due to not having their best players available

To me it feels too early and the authorites are trying to shoehorn it all in to avoid the commercial mess that comes if they don't finish the season which I can appreciate however if one player contracts the illness and either dies themselves or passes it on to a family member there would be massive consequences.

33 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

The discussion was on scrapping the season or not. I said there is no good reason to scrap it. You said the players health was a good reason to scrap the season.  Can you explain how it’s healthier to scrap the season rather than finish it when it is safe to do so?  

Edited by And Its Smith

Look - there are lots of nhs frontline staff who have VOLUNTARILY moved out of their family home, stayed at a hotel, and carried on working. 

Meanwhile, footballers on mega money are worried they will bring the virus home. That is totally within their own control. They stay way from their family for the period it takes to play the games, wait 2 weeks after it finishes, then go home.

Protecting their family is not a valid reason not to re-start. They are unlikely to be personally seriously affected as they are young and fit. 

NHS workers on low wages have carried on working while protecting their family. Footballers on millions/year are not prepared to do the same? Fine - opt out and donate your salary to a charity if you can't face being isolated from family for a few weeks. 

14 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Look - there are lots of nhs frontline staff who have VOLUNTARILY moved out of their family home, stayed at a hotel, and carried on working. 

Meanwhile, footballers on mega money are worried they will bring the virus home. That is totally within their own control. They stay way from their family for the period it takes to play the games, wait 2 weeks after it finishes, then go home.

Protecting their family is not a valid reason not to re-start. They are unlikely to be personally seriously affected as they are young and fit. 

NHS workers on low wages have carried on working while protecting their family. Footballers on millions/year are not prepared to do the same? Fine - opt out and donate your salary to a charity if you can't face being isolated from family for a few weeks. 

What about league one footballers who may be on a fairly small amount of money, are they able to pay to stay away from their family? Also where do footballers go? Don't think hotels are open to the public are they? I've heard of them providing space for NHS workers but don't think they're allowed to be open to the public.

20 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

They didn't sign up to spend 3 months without seeing their wife, young kids etc. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

The discussion was on scrapping the season or not. I said there is no good reason to scrap it. You said the players health was a good reason to scrap the season.  Can you explain how it’s healthier to scrap the season rather than finish it when it is safe to do so?  

You can only wait so long before the impact on next season, Euro's, 2021/22 season, World Cup becomes too great to allow due to the backlog of fixtures. On top of this you have issues with player contracts, loans and the like which all expire at the end of June as well as a number of players which will not return to play in the current circumstances which then compromises the integrity of the competition if those players are no longer involved, you can imagine the arguments and possible legal challenges from clubs that are relegated from the PL or miss out on promotion from the Champ due to not having their best players available

To me it feels too early and the authorites are trying to shoehorn it all in to avoid the commercial mess that comes if they don't finish the season which I can appreciate however if one player contracts the illness and either dies themselves or passes it on to a family member there would be massive consequences.

25 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

You can only wait so long before the impact on next season, Euro's, 2021/22 season, World Cup becomes too great to allow due to the backlog of fixtures. On top of this you have issues with player contracts, loans and the like which all expire at the end of June as well as a number of players which will not return to play in the current circumstances which then compromises the integrity of the competition if those players are no longer involved, you can imagine the arguments and possible legal challenges from clubs that are relegated from the PL or miss out on promotion from the Champ due to not having their best players available

so, if it can't be shoe-horned, end it now....how would you decide final league placings?

4 hours ago, Pickle Rick said:

Money talks.

The Health/Economic scales have swayed.

Indeed.

As with everything, it boils down to which side you stand on:

Money first, whatever the human cost or Humanity first, whatever the monetary cost.

Is it worth people dying, so that football clubs businesses survive.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels

1 hour ago, robin_unreliant said:

But weeks could easily become months or longer. Would you do it ?

9 minutes ago, BigTone said:

But weeks could easily become months or longer. Would you do it ?

Many people are yes as they have no choice, they need to provide for their families.

A lot of footballers can refuse to work as they are earning more than enough money to cover it.

3 minutes ago, S25loyal said:

Many people are yes as they have no choice, they need to provide for their families.

A lot of footballers can refuse to work as they are earning more than enough money to cover it.

Sometimes money is a secondary concern. Would you put money over your families welfare ?

14 minutes ago, Super said:

Yes don't do it again.

Sorry Mum xx

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Sometimes money is a secondary concern. Would you put money over your families welfare ?

Sorry Mum xx

I think you are missing the point. MOST people aren’t able to put money over family welfare, SOME footballers can as they are paid obscene amounts of money. 

6 minutes ago, S25loyal said:

I think you are missing the point. MOST people aren’t able to put money over family welfare, SOME footballers can as they are paid obscene amounts of money. 

I really think the money thing needs to be taken out of the argument. Footballers - regardless of the money they earn - are as entitled as anyone else to protection from the virus and to not go to work if they feel that they or their families are at risk.  Because some of them are obscenely rich doesn’t mean they have any more obligation to work if they feel it’s not safe than anyone else.  

• Like 1