IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

49 minutes ago, mozo said:

If the season is curtailed, City will rue the goal conceded in the 84th minute against Fulham as being the moment that we missed out on the play offs...

Or we could put it down to Pablo Hernandez's 26th minute opener on the first game of the season, to which went on to lose 1-3, if only other teams didn't score against us eh!

All IF's and buts.

• Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, mozo said:

So do we think 51% is likely at this stage?

Well, the top 2 would be happy to curtail under that arrangement. Brentford and Forest too perhaps as they'd struggle to catch top 2. Preston would achieve their aim of playoffs. 

So in the top 6, only Fulham could vote for resumption, teams 7th to 13th would surely vote for resumption? As would bottom 3. 

So I make it 11 vote to resume. 13 vote to curtail.

Teams from City to Birmingham would vote resume as still outside chance of playoff's and no chance of relegation. Bottom 3 also plus Fulham. WBA may still want to win League. I make that 15 resume. Job done ?

2 hours ago, Taz said:

Being this close, and within a very good chance of getting into the top 6 especially with everyone back, would be annoying if we missed out because of this.

But, it's still irrelevant really in the scheme of things.

Imagine getting promoted ( let's not forget we've not been great this season) and not being there to see it. If it finishes it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I'd struggle to get excited seing us get promoted in an empty stadium. Football"s all about experiences for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BCFC Grim said:

Imagine getting promoted ( let's not forget we've not been great this season) and not being there to see it. If it finishes it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I'd struggle to get excited seing us get promoted in an empty stadium. Football"s all about experiences for me.

Don't worry, you'll be there to see us lift the Premier League title next year.

6 hours ago, mozo said:

If the season is curtailed, City will rue the goal conceded in the 84th minute against Fulham as being the moment that we missed out on the play offs...

You’re right, also worth remembering we were on a run of five games, zero wins ( 3 defeats and 2 draws) going into this curtailment/lockdown - but I’m aware we aren’t allowed to post any criticism at present, so I apologise if any negativity was detected in my fact- induced post ...

Edited by BS4 on Tour...

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You don’t seem to trust any figures, why endorse these??!!

It’s not trust per se, it’s what they are being used to falsely promote....namely Hancock’s self back-slapping.  Against the targets he has set, he has actually failed every day.  It is only by changing the method of calculation 2 days before the target date that he achieved his arbitrary target.  He then lied and said the method of calculation had always been that and smugly told the journo to look on gov.uk.  Well, guess what?  I read the various testing strategy and data docs (and the previous versions), and it makes no mention of including postal tests.  He lied....and praised himself in the process.

on the 1st May when he falsely claimed he’d hit his 100k, had he come clean and said it was 80k, I’d have accepted it as a good effort to ramp up....it wasn’t an easy task.  But he lost (more) credibility from his actions.

Eff me....spoke too soon about trusting the numbers ???

???

Edited by Davefevs
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It’s not trust per se, it’s what they are being used to falsely promote....namely Hancock’s self back-slapping.  Against the targets he has set, he has actually failed every day.  It is only by changing the method of calculation 2 days before the target date that he achieved his arbitrary target.  He then lied and said the method of calculation had always been that and smugly told the journo to look on gov.uk.  Well, guess what?  I read the various testing strategy and data docs (and the previous versions), and it makes no mention of including postal tests.  He lied....and praised himself in the process.

on the 1st May when he falsely claimed he’d hit his 100k, had he come clean and said it was 80k, I’d have accepted it as a good effort to ramp up....it wasn’t an easy task.  But he lost (more) credibility from his actions.

I think the heated debate has been sparked by the tests v people angle - there is lots of evidence that the gov said they were aiming for 100k tests per day, yet the bloodthirsty media hounds (eg Morgan) have jumped all over it saying we haven’t tested 100k people per day - they just didn’t understand that 100k tests didn’t necessarily equal 100k people, because some poor souls needed to be tested more than once ...

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I think the heated debate has been sparked by the tests v people angle - there is lots of evidence that the gov said they were aiming for 100k tests per day, yet the bloodthirsty media hounds (eg Morgan) have jumped all over it saying we haven’t tested 100k people per day - they just didn’t understand that 100k tests didn’t necessarily equal 100k people, because some poor souls needed to be tested more than once ...

Please see my edit above.....I give up ???

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You’re right, also worth remembering we were on a run of five games, zero wins ( 3 defeats and 2 draws) going into this curtailment/lockdown - but I’m aware we aren’t allowed to post any criticism at present, so I apologise if any negativity was detected in my fact- induced post ...

Depends which way you want to look at it.........20 points from our last 12 games paints a different picture.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BCFC Grim said:

I never did the away game at Bradford when we got promoted, still enjoyed the season!

• Flames 1

3 hours ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52680375

Interesting article on the impact of playing or not playing this season and next.

Good article. I have to be honest and say, barring a dramatic turnaround, I cannot see fans being allowed into venues (at least at anywhere near capacity levels) until at least November.

I do really feel for Brentford incidentally. This is their last season at Griffin Park and fans have been denied the chance to mark the final ground at the stadium. I suppose at least the final game they did play was a 5-0 home win...

17 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

It’s surely only a matter of time until some clubs cease to exist. I don’t think it’ll be confined to the lower leagues either. 

You aren't thinking that maybe Rovers won't be getting new owners anytime soon, and that Wally and the family are stuck are you....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Thought it explained very well the situation facing clubs and what they need to do to survive. Also the problem facing players, L1 and L2 go to 20 man squads players will be unemployable in the lower leagues.

I think they should go back to 4 subs....match day squad of 18 exacerbates the situation.

26 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

With one of the richest owners going I can't see City not refunding, would be a bad look

He's only allowed to put so much into the club per season to write off losses though and by the sounds of it already does the max, will probably come down to how close we tread the line with FFP but you'd think we'd have a decent amount of wiggle room. I agree I think we'll see a decent range of options as alternatives fans can agree to and then if they don't want any could get a refund. We had 5 home games left? Perhaps things like a free shirt for next season + £50 voucher in the shop etc. Wouldn't make much out of the shop for a season but we wouldn't be having to refund as much.

Edited by hodge

7 minutes ago, hodge said:

He's only allowed to put so much into the club per season to write off losses though and by the sounds of it already does the max, will probably come down to how close we tread the line with FFP but you'd think we'd have a decent amount of wiggle room. I agree I think we'll see a decent range of options as alternatives fans can agree to and then if they don't want any could get a refund. We had 5 home games left? Perhaps things like a free shirt for next season + £50 voucher in the shop etc. Wouldn't make much out of the shop for a season but we wouldn't be having to refund as much.

Don't think FFP or how much he puts in will come into it as surely they will have to relax ome of these regulation in light of what is going on. Either way the club will not be able to not offer a refund (or part -refund) as the customers haven't received the goods they have paid for.

23 minutes ago, hodge said:

Did some very crude maths the other day and reckon most of our FFP wiggle room would be used up in 3-4 months of no income and having to give refunds.

14 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Don't think FFP or how much he puts in will come into it as surely they will have to relax ome of these regulation in light of what is going on. Either way the club will not be able to not offer a refund (or part -refund) as the customers haven't received the goods they have paid for.

All clubs had to submit their projected accounts in March (for accounts to end of normal season).  Those would give the best positioning of finances without the effects of covid....and are used already (even if not forcibly enough) to charge clubs.  I see no reason why these couldn’t be used to check compliance as a starting point.  They are going to better looking than the actual accounts.

• Like 3