IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

Just now, Davefevs said:

Yes, fair play to Man Utd, but unfair on other clubs who might have wanted them on loan but couldn’t afford at the time.

To be fair if the clubs are covering wages for the season they have covered the season and would have only budgeted till the end of June, looks like they'll be expected to cover more than that now which they wouldn't have.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, hodge said:

To be fair if the clubs are covering wages for the season they have covered the season and would have only budgeted till the end of June, looks like they'll be expected to cover more than that now which they wouldn't have.

That’s a fair point, but....

6 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Unfair on other clubs who are paying loan fees for players from other clubs and are struggling to pay it. 

...at the end of the day, there’s gonna be winners and losers in many ways as we complete (or not) this season.  Hey ho.

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That’s a fair point, but....

...at the end of the day, there’s gonna be winners and losers in many ways as we complete (or not) this season.  Hey ho.

I agree and wouldn’t complain if Leicester said we don’t have to pay for Benkovic. Just doesn’t feel fair on other clubs who are struggling to survive and have to pay out for loan players.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52777399

Interesting from Birmingham - the article refers to them leaving when their contracts expire at the end of June so no extensions from the club I guess. Of course. they may want to leave then anyway.

They've got an interesting run in, congested fixtures, less players, 8 points above the drop. Could see them getting twitchy.

16 hours ago, hodge said:

Huddersfield’s owner saying that realistically to survive financially until there’s a vaccine and large crowds can return then clubs need to reduce wages to 30%-50% of what they are now 

Trouble is what if a vaccine is not found what then? realistically that would mean 60% of clubs would probably go bust with no crowds allowed. I'm assuming the championship and premier league would then be relying on tv money and any sponsorship they could get, I suppose city would be one of the clubs that could  survive a long period without crowds due to Steve Lansdown but there is no guarantee he would continue to bankroll the club.

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52777399

Interesting from Birmingham - the article refers to them leaving when their contracts expire at the end of June so no extensions from the club I guess. Of course. they may want to leave then anyway.

Are they under any embargo at the mo’.

Edited by Davefevs

55 minutes ago, pillred said:

Trouble is what if a vaccine is not found what then? realistically that would mean 60% of clubs would probably go bust with no crowds allowed. I'm assuming the championship and premier league would then be relying on tv money and any sponsorship they could get, I suppose city would be one of the clubs that could  survive a long period without crowds due to Steve Lansdown but there is no guarantee he would continue to bankroll the club.

No vaccine does not equal no crowds.

It’s clear China are lying Regards to their covid situation, you won’t find this info in any European press as per the screenshot. 

Covid is going to be around for a long time, it’s unlikely it will disappear here how long has it been in China now? Minimum 6 months? 

208A44FB-35BC-46E3-A7DA-687BCCF0C5B7.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OldlandReddies said:

No vaccine does not equal no crowds.

According to the Huddersfield chairman who said until a vaccine the government has said there will be no large gatherings, so make of that what you will I take that to mean football and sport gatherings but if you know more let me know.

2 minutes ago, pillred said:

According to the Huddersfield chairman who said until a vaccine the government has said there will be no large gatherings, so make of that what you will I take that to mean football and sport gatherings but if you know more let me know.

I agree, that`s how it looks at the moment but you have to factor in the antibody tests. If it can be proved that if someone has the antibodies present and that means there is a minimal chance of them catching it again then that changes things massively.

The longer it goes on, the more pressure will be put on Government to get back to some sort of normal and large gatherings will no doubt form part of that. Personally I think the virus will be around for ever and we are going to have to learn to live with it. It will take some major behavioural and societal shifts but I think we`re up to the challenge  - I hope so anyway.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, pillred said:

This is the article relating his comments in full.

I kno he's floating the suggestion of "adjusting "players' wages while the effects of cover 19 affect football, but wonder whether he ( and many other chairmen/owners) will be seeing it aether catalyst to enable some sort of re-setting players wages to levels that are more manageable within clubs' revenues and especially so given the impact of ffp.

English football's pyramid will be destroyed unless the game starts to plan for the financial impact of Covid-19 beyond the 2019-20 season, says Huddersfield owner Phil Hodgkinson. 

Hodgkinson thinks as many as "50 or 60" clubs could go bust.

He says he is looking at a "worst-case scenario" of no fans allowed in stadiums for the 2020-21 season.

"The problem is not whether we finish [this] season or not, it is what happens after that," he told BBC Sport.

Having previously owned National League North side Southport, Hodgkinson has experience of the hand-to-mouth existence of many lower-league clubs.

"If we don't come to an agreement there will be no football pyramid. There are clubs I know of that are only still trading because they are deferring wages and [tax] and other creditors. They will need paying at some point," Hodgkinson said.

"There is an absolutely real, stark probability that if something isn't agreed now within football to ensure all clubs can pay their bills and get through to the point where income is resumed, you will be looking at 50 or 60 clubs ceasing to exist. Genuinely, I am talking about that many."

'What is football going to do to ensure the entire pyramid survives?'

Hodgkinson says Huddersfield, three points above the Championship relegation zone, want the season to restart "when it is safe", with clubs set to return to training on Monday.

But he says the game "is not looking at the bigger picture", with the main focus being on restarting the current season.

"It will cost each club between £150,000 and £200,000 for testing to get to the end of the season," he said. "But what happens after that? 

"We have been told by the government that there will be no large gatherings until there is a vaccine and that is likely to be in 2021. That means football clubs will lose a vast proportion of their income outside of any broadcast money, which is likely to be significantly reduced or clawed back anyway. 

"In normal revenue, we are looking at losing between £7m and £10m. The claw-back for TV is going to be £10m-£30m. That is just us. So, what is football going to do to ensure the entire pyramid survives this? The discussion is being avoided. For the next three, six or 12 months clubs are going to have no income."

One solution Hodgkinson has suggested is reducing players' wages at every level of the game.

"The players are not to blame," he said. "But the reality is, the players have to be part of the solution because if clubs go bust, their contracts won't get met anyway.

"They may not like me saying this, but [players' union] the PFA need to put in place salary cuts of between 30% and 50% for all players at all levels until such a time as crowds are allowed back into football stadiums and income streams return. 

"These are ideas. They may not be the right ones. But something has to be done because everyone knows what is coming and people are just sticking their heads in the sand." 

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I agree, that`s how it looks at the moment but you have to factor in the antibody tests. If it can be proved that if someone has the antibodies present and that means there is a minimal chance of them catching it again then that changes things massively.

The longer it goes on, the more pressure will be put on Government to get back to some sort of normal and large gatherings will no doubt form part of that. Personally I think the virus will be around for ever and we are going to have to learn to live with it. It will take some major behavioural and societal shifts but I think we`re up to the challenge  - I hope so anyway.

Absolutely. Can't wait around for a vaccine that now looks likely to be a non starter in view of how quickly the virus us disappearing. We will be in grounds with or without a vaccine by October at the latest  

• Hmmm 1