IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

4 minutes ago, TRL said:

Remind me the difference in rates of infection and deaths between uk and Germany. 

Apart from.that I await the incubation period before thinking it's been a success. They could start dropping like flies in a week!

And remind me again what the social distancing guidelines and measurement is again... for everyone?

Are social distancing measures still in place in Germany?

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I was possibly a bit harsh but Germany has done very well in this pandemic- us, not so much.,

7-14 days isn't it? Yeah, ideal to hold fire but it resumed IIRC a fortnight ago and there seems to have been little yet. Still worth seeing in a few days but I thought it was 14 then it's so far so good at this stage...

I get that bit, but it's the same in Germany- I believe football will be one of the safer environments. In a stadium, in the air- not celebrating goals in the same way, no spitting surely- there will be steps taken.

Nonetheless the players have had quite an easy pandemic- so I can't get too sympathetic on some levels. The environment of a football match will be amongst the safest IMO.

My tone of irritation wasn't aimed at you so much, more at the thought that rather cossetted individuals would refuse in good numbers- when fans will not receive what they have paid for, deferral not cuts etc- feels like a lot of footballers have had it too easy.

I just find it bizarre to tell you the truth this is all about money and back handlers nothing to do with health.

The guidelines below seem to have been ripped up for money and maybe the mental wellbeing of the general public.. certainly not for the health or mental well being of the players involved.

Bullet point 1... it should really just end there, but go past that and the decision to play again is absurd!

The transmission risk will be massively higher for team games where spitting, bodily contact sweating and the like will be happening for most of the match in close contact. I mean they ate not allowed to do that in training! So why is it different in a match?

Where people cannot be 2m apart, manage transmission risk

Where it’s not possible for people to be 2m apart, you should do everything practical to manage the transmission risk by:

• considering whether an activity needs to continue for the business to operate
  • keeping the activity time involved as short as possible
  • using screens or barriers to separate people from each other
  • using back-to-back or side-to-side working whenever possible
  • staggering arrival and departure times
  • reducing the number of people each person has contact with by using ‘fixed teams or partnering’
Edited by TRL

1 minute ago, TRL said:

I just find it bizarre to tell you the truth this is all about money and back handlers nothing to do with health.

The guidelines below seem to have been ripped up for money and maybe the mental wellbeing of the general public.. certainly not for the health or mental well being of the players involved.

Bullet point 1... it should really just end there, but go past that and the decision to play again is absurd!

Where it’s not possible for people to be 2m apart, you should do everything practical to manage the transmission risk by:

• reducing the number of people each person has contact with by using ‘fixed teams or partnering’

I'm sure no expense spared to make the environment for players as safe as possible.

Twice weekly tests? Check. No spitting? I am sure that will be the case. Goal celebrations? Will have to change- and that's just I am sure a few of the many measures.

Still if players don't like it, they can always forego and I mean forgo not defer more of their wages. They can't have it all ways.

10 minutes ago, TRL said:

The transmission risk will be massively higher for team games where spitting, bodily contact sweating and the like will be happening for most of the match in close contact. I mean they ate not allowed to do that in training! So why is it different in a match?

Business’s are opening again. People are going to work whether they can socially distance or not. Why shouldn’t footballers go to work if other employees are? 

A football business can not operate without its players. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm sure no expense spared to make the environment for players as safe as possible.

Twice weekly tests? Check. No spitting? I am sure that will be the case. Goal celebrations? Will have to change- and that's just I am sure a few of the many measures.

Still if players don't like it, they can always forego and I mean forgo not defer more of their wages. They can't have it all ways.

If you play sport to any level you cannot stop spitting you would choke.

Twice weekly test should be daily when in this close contact

There will be no expense spared as there is nothing they can do to make the 90 minutes on the pitch safer. Other than testing, which from various reports is having varied success in how quickly it picks up positive results.

If they dont want to play and forgo their salary fine but they shouldn't be castigated for refusing to play. If they are forced to play, catch covid19 and the worst happens, who will be up for the manslaughter charge? As that I can see will be bought against clubs if it were to happen.

This isn't about football or footballers, this is about taking very big risks in the current situation for money. It's not just the players that are taking the risk, it's the risk they then pose to their family. 

And again I refer back to the point it is flouting social distancing and flouting the training rules, why so different  for training than for the game? That is nonsensical and really tells you what it's all about.. 

Anyway that's my twopenneth I dont want to keep repeating myself so I'll bow out now :)

Be safe

7 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Business’s are opening again. People are going to work whether they can socially distance or not. Why shouldn’t footballers go to work if other employees are? 

A football business can not operate without its players. 

Does a pub need staff to operate? Does a pub need to be open to operate? Yes? Why aren't they open if they can put in 2m social distancing measures? 

I could run through this process for every other business that are not currently allowed to open.

At the very least you wont be man handling your employees spitting in their vicinity and sweating all over them to carry out your job role!

But for some reason this businesses are still closed.  I am guessing because transmission could be an issue!! 

• Like 1

Can’t say I’ve got much enthusiasm for this, for me the important thing is being at the game. A TV League with no crowd holds little appeal.

If we do go up, I hope City refund ST monies for all un-watched games and refund the cost of my Forest ticket. They’ll be telling us how many millions it’s worth, we’ll they can do the right thing by the fans before handing vast riches to the players.

All a bit surreal really, play offs with no fans? Sorry, that’s just so wrong. Even though it doesn’t help City, I’d rather just promote the top 3 and be done with it. Has nobody worked out what will happen on final day? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRL said:

Does a pub need staff to operate? Does a pub need to be open to operate? Yes? Why aren't they open if they can put in 2m social distancing measures? 

I could run through this process for every other business that are not currently allowed to open.

At the very least you wont be man handling your employees spitting in their vicinity and sweating all over them to carry out your job role!

But for some reason this businesses are still closed.  I am guessing because transmission could be an issue!! 

Opening a pub is a lot more risky than playing a football match, that’s why. 

Only thing is that it will inevitably disrupt next season. I'm glad it's coming back, although I'm personally still of the view that this season should have been scrubbed and then 20/21 played as normal - including having fans in the stadia - but the decisions have been made.

One thought - if they are sticking to the spirit of distancing and other rules then surely the fixture list should be re-done in order to minimise travel for each team? Seems against it all to have our squad going up and down the M5 every couple of days.

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

If you can point to a spike in infection in the Bundesliga...be my guest.

One thing would be that Germany's level of infections/deaths were a lot lower at their restart time, they were in double figures for deaths and not only just either. There may have been similar levels when they went back to training but didn't Germany had something like 6-8 weeks of training before matches whereas we're having 3-5 weeks.

Just now, hodge said:

One thing would be that Germany's level of infections/deaths were a lot lower at their restart time, they were in double figures for deaths and not only just either. There may have been similar levels when they went back to training but didn't Germany had something like 6-8 weeks of training before matches whereas we're having 3-5 weeks.

Yeah true but football will be in a bit of a bubble.

Might be right about the training certainly, will take your word for it- wider society is one thing and there is no doubt they have done a lot better than us, but I still think football a fairly safe environment on a number of levels.

Training, match fitness and standard of play are a different debate but I don't think it's fundamentally unsafe.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yeah true but football will be in a bit of a bubble.

Might be right about the training certainly, will take your word for it- wider society is one thing and there is no doubt they have done a lot better than us, but I still think football a fairly safe environment on a number of levels.

Training, match fitness and standard of play are a different debate but I don't think it's fundamentally unsafe.

Given the prem is at 0 cases atm I'd say its more concerning for the championship clubs, still cases in some clubs and they're restarting contact training. You'd hope all clubs were secure enough in their process so the virus couldn't be transferred but with 20 days to restart it doesn't seem far away.

18 minutes ago, hodge said:

Given the prem is at 0 cases atm I'd say its more concerning for the championship clubs, still cases in some clubs and they're restarting contact training. You'd hope all clubs were secure enough in their process so the virus couldn't be transferred but with 20 days to restart it doesn't seem far away.

Am losing track a bit!

Is it 10 cases in the Championship now? The overall ratios don't seem that worrying yet...

2 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Only thing is that it will inevitably disrupt next season. I'm glad it's coming back, although I'm personally still of the view that this season should have been scrubbed and then 20/21 played as normal - including having fans in the stadia - but the decisions have been made.

One thought - if they are sticking to the spirit of distancing and other rules then surely the fixture list should be re-done in order to minimise travel for each team? Seems against it all to have our squad going up and down the M5 every couple of days.

There’s no way 20/21 season is going to be played as normal I.e. with fans in the ground, I can’t see that sort of normality for a long time as social distancing is not really possible.  Therefore if you take that as red, and behind closed doors is the new normal, then you might as well finish this season off first.

• Like 2

I'd guess the plan at the moment is for teams to travel on the same morning for away matches. I would hope that for some leniency can be allowed for long distance fixtures like Middleboro. Perhaps teams can park RV's overnight at training grounds which are local to the match venues instead, the day before?

2 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

We will need some to be up to some sort of match fitness. To put out 20 man squads, 9 times over 5 weeks, we will need a squad of around 35 I’d imagine 

Think Lee would prefer to work with smaller squad. We have more than enough cover in all areas with our senior players.

• Haha 1

On 01/06/2020 at 04:07, Tinmans Love Child said:

There’s no way 20/21 season is going to be played as normal I.e. with fans in the ground, I can’t see that sort of normality for a long time as social distancing is not really possible.  Therefore if you take that as red, and behind closed doors is the new normal, then you might as well finish this season off first.

I can see crowds being back before the end of this calender year, one option available to the club maybe that only season ticket holders (that have bought them to date or up to a maximum number of say 8 - 10,000) for next season could be allowed within the stadium as a starting point.

You would then need to space those people out i.e. only one in every three seats are to be used, this would obviously mean moving people from the seats they have paid for in the interim and there would also need to be heavy distancing restrictions around the concourse areas but its  a possibility.