IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

+ @MarcusX

Thats why the temporary tv deal is as it is, to try to stop people congregating in pubs to watch games.

Yet the Premier league show every game at different times so you can sit in a pub all day Saturday and Sunday watching every game, makes no sense ? Even changed the 8:15 KO times so they didn’t miss the end 

• Confused 1

• Admin
14 hours ago, OldlandReddies said:

Really?! I didn't know that. Have you been ? Was it a full house ? I'd be right up watching their final game on Sunday. 4 teams going for 3 play off places.

12 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

For real. Haven’t been though as I’ve had a few pals round to watch here, it only takes a few mates and a few more more beers to recreate the matchday experience! Sunday is gonna be a MASSIVE day!!!!!

@OldlandReddies @CyderInACan

This may be of interest to you both?

https://www.bristolbearsrugby.com/news/challenge-cup-final-hospitality-at-ashton-gate/

• Like 1

Not City, or even English football as such related.

However, UEFA have said that subject to local regulations and laws, stadiums can have up to 30% capacity/attendance for games under their jurisdiction, if local laws and regulations allow.

http://www.insideworldfootball.com/2020/10/02/uefa-relaxes-attendance-rules-allow-30-capacities-local-authorities-permitting/

Unbelievable Jeff.  Assumed it was photoshopped until I checked Vue at Longwell Green.

I get that Prem football has different licencing for covid, but it’s the sheer inconsistency of who is allowed to offer a service and who isn’t, especially as one is indoors and the other isn’t. ??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

Absolute madness. So I can go to the pub. Have a few beer with my mates. Then go to the cinema, indoors, and watch the football with another couple of beers, assuming plenty of shouting when goals go in, but I can’t go watch it in a stadium, outside, with even 1000 other people in a 26000 seater stadium. 
But I bet you if some of Boris’ rich mates owned football clubs we’d all be back there by now

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

@Dredd

I assume they'll be obliged to wear masks while watching, no?

This would rather reduce the shouting, let alone the beer. Mind you could do the same at football- but then again Middlesbrough had a Test Event, was close to local measures now has tipped over the edge- did the Test Event play a part or might it have happened anyway?

Specifically on the cinema point, this picture below suggests it would be- can't have some beers and some shouting with the below in place.

face-mask-cinema.jpg

Wouldn't be selling beer in view of football at the cinema- harder to ventilate cinemas naturally than pubs as well I'd have thought.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

@Dredd

I assume they'll be obliged to wear masks while watching, no?

This would rather reduce the shouting, let alone the beer. Mind you could do the same at football- but then again Middlesbrough had a Test Event, was close to local measures now has tipped over the edge- did the Test Event play a part or might it have happened anyway?

Specifically on the cinema point, this picture below suggests it would be- can't have some beers and some shouting with the below in place.

face-mask-cinema.jpg

Wouldn't be selling beer in view of football at the cinema- harder to ventilate cinemas naturally than pubs as well I'd have thought.

Absolutely. I’d completely expect to have to wear a mask during the game as a condition of entry. And I’d accept that to be able to watch a game. 
My main point is that a stadium is infinitely more ventilated than an indoor cinema yet I can watch football in one but not another. 

So 1000 people at AG, less than 5% capacity, is worth a minimum of 16k to the club (£16 refund for a South Stand ticket). 16k x 20 odd remaining home games = £320k. That’s not a small chunk of change for a very very small amount of people in the ground. It’s madness how that can’t be allowed. 

If they really wanted to do a proper test event I reckon you would easily get 1000 football fans in a lower case area (actually like Bristol) who would be willing to take a test before hand, go to a game, then take another test a few days later to see what’s happened. 

• Like 1

• Admin
On 29/09/2020 at 20:49, phantom said:

This possibly is the craziest announcement so far? 

TAKEN FROM: https://www.wealdstone-fc.com/post/wealdstone-vs-chesterfield-live-screening

On Saturday we kick off our National League campaign as we host Chesterfield at The Vale. Unfortunately this match will be played behind closed doors due to Covid-19 restrictions however live streaming is available to purchase via our website https://www.wealdstone-fc.com/live-stream

We are also delighted to announce that Wealdstone Supporters Club are hosting a live screening of the game at Ruislip Social Club (@TheVale_SC) Numbers will be limited due to social distancing and tickets are available to purchase online priced at £10 (reduced to £5 for season ticket holders) which includes a free beer, cider, wine or soft drink.

All windows and viewing access to the pitch will be closed off and stewarding will be in place to ensure no access to the ground. We ask everyone attending wear a face mask on arrival and when leaving their table at any point during the afternoon. Social distancing must be adhered to and table service will apply for drinks.

The club will be open from 12 noon to show the day’s Premier League fixtures starting with Chelsea vs Crystal Palace at 12.30pm followed by Leeds vs Manchester City at 5.30pm.

Tickets are available online at

https://wealdstonefc.ktckts.com/merchandise/wldstreamchest/screening-v-chesterfield

Your support is appreciated and we look forward to at least welcoming a few supporters into the social club on Saturday.

Not surprised to read this has now been cancelled 

https://www.wealdstone-fc.com/post/cancellation-of-live-screening-in-club-house-wfc-v-chesterfield

4 hours ago, Dredd said:

Absolutely. I’d completely expect to have to wear a mask during the game as a condition of entry. And I’d accept that to be able to watch a game. 
My main point is that a stadium is infinitely more ventilated than an indoor cinema yet I can watch football in one but not another. 

So 1000 people at AG, less than 5% capacity, is worth a minimum of 16k to the club (£16 refund for a South Stand ticket). 16k x 20 odd remaining home games = £320k. That’s not a small chunk of change for a very very small amount of people in the ground. It’s madness how that can’t be allowed. 

If they really wanted to do a proper test event I reckon you would easily get 1000 football fans in a lower case area (actually like Bristol) who would be willing to take a test before hand, go to a game, then take another test a few days later to see what’s happened. 

Key workers are struggling to get tests, how can you spare a couple thousand for football fans?

The point still remains that very little will open up while the message is clearly about tightening up. Once tht message changes then football will probably be reviewed again.

You’ve also not factored in the costs of opening up to only 1000 people, no idea numbers of staff etc required but you could take a chunk from that income.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Royal Albert Hall going to be allowed 3000 (56%) in attendance..... hahahahaha couldn’t make this shit up

Well, unless I’m missing something that flies in the face of the minimal defence I’ve tried to put up in understanding the governments stance on stadium attendance- so I apologise, they are just incompetent self serving *******.

• Like 2

Well tbh, that's done it for me.

I was of the view that if we were shutting down and restricting areas of the economy then not reopening football made some sense if only for consistency of messaging. Logically cases will remain stubbornly high and even quite likely increase as the weather turns- not to doomsday levels but higher than can be accepted for continued reopening.

I've only seen the headline but if they're opening the Royal Albert Hall for 3,000 then why they can't open up to the same % or even the same number socially distanced- and yes I'd say no away fans, masks being worn at all times and no alcohol on sale should be necessary- is beyond me!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

As it's been locked.

So approximately 65% would like to attend and 11% would not based on an expressed fear. 

Does this straw poll illustrate an example of where the real population is regarding the lockdown?

The polls we have seen show an enormous majority for continuation of it.

I sincerely hope polls edge toward the former because this govt is clearly paying close attention to them and we are going nowhere as a nation in lockdown and this so called respiratory virus is never going away.

It’s important to note that the poll was put up a couple of weeks ago and we’ve had the large uptick in cases since, so the figures may have amended based on that.

Personally, I’d still attend. I went to the cinema on Saturday and sat in a room masked up - I can’t see how that’s safer than doing the same in the open air. Yes, there are definite pinch points (how do you get everyone out at full time without there being a crowd for example), but it does seem a touch nonsensical.

I think the truth is as you say - COVID isn’t going anywhere so it’s whether we live with it, in as safe a manner as we can, or end up with severe long lasting societal damage. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It needs to be sorted. We couldn't attend the Bristol Leicester game (Egg chasing) in a 27,000 all seater outdoor stadium in a crowd of 1000, as a bubble of 2 people, but we could sit the other side of the wall, indoor, in the sports bar, watching the game on the TV and eating Pizza. 

Ultimately, we have a benefactor that, however painful in the short term, will likely continue to keep the lights on, as do most in the Prem, whilst Grass roots will be affected, but, not hugely as they don't employ people, the issue is in the middle, Champ clubs, league 1, 2 conference and indeed all other sports who are potential;y pro or semi pro. We could lose it all.

In the crisis of 2008, the 2012 Olympics bodies literally pulled the rug from under sports that they had been funding. Handball, Basketball, Judo, were all effectively cast free. This isn't 2008, this is much, much bigger and we could see impact of the like never seen before. It's frightening.

33 minutes ago, redsontour said:

In the crisis of 2008, the 2012 Olympics bodies literally pulled the rug from under sports that they had been funding. Handball, Basketball, Judo, were all effectively cast free. This isn't 2008, this is much, much bigger and we could see impact of the like never seen before. It's frightening.

Off on a bit of a tangent about Olympic sports, I do archery, after Rio where we had 1 archer in each of the male and female categories qualify, one reaching quarter final and other last 32. The governing body lost all Olympic funding because we didn’t win a medal in a sport dominated by South Korea (their women’s team has won every gold medal since team event was added) and the USA with the odd other country popping up. For the last 4 years the British athletes have been funding their own travel to events in China, USA, Turkey etc and have won medals et international events on multiple occasions and qualified full teams for Tokyo and could be in a great place for a medal of some kind, the risk of no olympics next summer present a possibility of another 3 years in the wilderness in terms of funding and could those archers spending so much at the top look for more stable careers? 

59 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I would like to attend, but won’t if it’s not “safe”.  Until I know the details I can’t say what I’d do.  If they want to give all of Section A4 to Joe and myself, then I’d go and feel safe.

Sorry Dave, until you know the "details", or until you know if it is "safe"? Isn't that the crux of the matter here and, in fact, the question being asked? We all have levels of "safeness" that we accept. 

It is currently considered "safe" to play 11 a side football outdoors, it is currently considered "safe" to travel on public transport, it is currently "safe" to eat in a restaurant, its currently "safe" to send children to school with 1800 other children of completely unknown family circumstance, it is currently safe for 250 people to sit indoors and watch a game of Rugby, whilst drinking and eating, but, according to the Government, it is not safe for 1 person to attend an outdoor arena, that seats 27,000, 37,000, heck 100,000 people, regardless of the expertise applied or the precautions taken...

In other words, the issue here is that businesses are going to go bust, peoples livelihoods lost, because, in the rush, the scientists advising the government, or the ministers in government, have simply not factored in that it is a hell of a lot easier to spread people around a stadium, at reduced capacity, than it is to spread them around a restaurant, or a bus...

I understand people who don't want to go back, I respect that choice entirely. But I want to go back and the crappy (political)science may not let that happen for many, many months...

Edited by redsontour

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I would like to attend, but won’t if it’s not “safe”.  Until I know the details I can’t say what I’d do.  If they want to give all of Section A4 to Joe and myself, then I’d go and feel safe.

Would they open up A4 to fans if that's where they're doing match day broadcasting etc? 

Tammy, Sancho and Chilwell dropped from the squad for the Wales game after attending a party for Tammy's birthday which was more than 6 people. Does playing for England matter to these idiots? Add Foden and Greenwood to that.

Just now, Super said:

Er how is it not about England?

Come on. You've laced yet another covid thread with a bunch of England players. 

There's ample threads on covid, rule breaking, and all manner of other things.

You've also failed to mention that it was a surprise birthday party that Abraham had no knowledge of or hand in planning.

You also say that they've been dropped. They've not been dropped. They've been asked to delay their attendance at training.

Why whip it up with a new and innacurate thread when it can just go in the hopper with all the other covid related chat?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

35 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Come on. You've laced yet another covid thread with a bunch of England players. 

There's ample threads on covid, rule breaking, and all manner of other things.

You've also failed to mention that it was a surprise birthday party that Abraham had no knowledge of or hand in planning.

You also say that they've been dropped. They've not been dropped. They've been asked to delay their attendance at training.

Why whip it up with a new and innacurate thread when it can just go in the hopper with all the other covid related chat?

So 3 England players broke rules and will miss the game against Wales. Yet this is nothing to do with England. Maybe just ignore the thread next time.