IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

30 minutes ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

I do wonder why people like yourself continually post such negative comments on the return?

It's like you won't be happy unless you are told people won't be able to return!!

There are clearly ways of making this work, but like a few others you struggle to accept that this is possible

There are many examples of games being played around Europe without problems, yet you continually have an obsession of everything going wrong in England?

For starters English football behaviour, both inside and outside stadiums, has long been up there with the worst. I've seen tons of football on the continent and rarely is there the negative attitude that pervades British football.

Secondly, if you are so sure you can make it work (and you'd better be sure as lives are at risk,) demonstrate how you would do so? I'm not being negative in highlighting that since this forum started its full of F'wit tales of woe - got thrown out but I wasn't THAT drunk..., ok I may not have been in my seat but what's the issue...., if I want to stand why shouldn't I..., no need to throw me out because I was having a crafty fag, it was only a pyrotechnic they use them in Europe...., I only had a ruck with the steward because I was standing in the exit and he tried to move me on...

I could go on but it's preaching to the converted.

Fans have never been able to behave inside stadiums in accordance with some fairly innocuous regulations so how they hell will they ever comply with very strict terms. Better to be honest, they won't. But as the price to be paid for failing to comply is people's lives for that reason allowing crowds should not be permitted to return until proven not to be a major risk.

So go on, how might that be done?

Edited by BTRFTG

44 minutes ago, Chappers said:

you can identify who is sitting in which seat

One can identify to who the seat had been sold/allocated but that's it.

What chance first game there will be some sad tale of somebody picking up a ban because somebody other than themselves ended up in their seat, else a ST cancelled because the mate they'd lent their ticket to because the couldn't make the game had transgressed?

For yonks I've been buying groups of tickets for my mates and I so does that mean should they transgress I pick up the ban? 

• Admin
48 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

For starters English football behaviour, both inside and outside stadiums, has long been up there with the worst. I've seen tons of football on the continent and rarely is there the negative attitude that pervades British football.

I have to say I completely disagree with this, equally backed up by these figures

image.png

There is so little trouble in and around grounds nowadays in this country, and is far worse in and around other European leagues.

I think you are being very disrespectful assuming that people will flout any new guidelines and just look to play up and break guidelines

• Admin

OPEN LETTER TO SUPPORTERS: TOGETHER WE WILL GET FANS SAFELY BACK INTO GROUNDS

TUESDAY, OCTOBER 6TH 2020

The Premier League, EFL, The FA, Women’s Super League and Women’s Championship want to assure all fans that together we are fully committed to your safe return to football grounds as soon as possible.

The health of the nation remains our overriding priority, and for many months we have been working with experts to make our grounds as safe as, if not safer than, any other public activity currently allowed.  And we are consulting with the Football Supporters’ Association to keep supporters updated every step of the way. 

We know attendance at matches can play a positive role in people’s lives during these challenging times. And the past few months have shown how clubs can still feel the support of their fans.  Even when you have been unable to get together, you and your clubs have found ways to make a difference in your communities, with clubs delivering food parcels, taking part in phone calls and online conversations with fans, the elderly and vulnerable and moving services and programmes online to make a difference in unprecedented and challenging circumstances.  

But we all know football is not the same without fans.  Every player and manager is missing the direct connection with you and the impact that you have on our games.

With the EFL, Premier League, Women’s Super League and Women’s Championship already staging 11 successful test events recently, we have demonstrated that we can deliver matches safely. The sooner we can return, the sooner we can reunite communities and support local jobs, livelihoods, regional businesses and also the national economy. 

We will continue to urge Government to allow us to return fans safely to stadiums. It is positive progress that major arts and music venues have been told they can run socially-distanced events indoors. And now football should be allowed to do the same - in highly regulated and stewarded outdoor environments.

Additionally, representatives from football are active members of the Government's Sports Technology and Innovation Group, as well as being involved with their ‘Moonshot’ mass-testing project to open up the economy.  And in light of the postponement of test events we will intensify our efforts to pioneer new approaches - working with epidemiologists, scientists and medical experts in areas such as public health, clinical processes and occupational hygiene. This will make sure stadiums are COVID-safe by considering best practice screening and hygiene methods to ensure that fans and the general public will be safe and drive the Government's sporting plans to move faster. 

Stadium environments can be modified and carefully managed. Measures could include screening spectators before they enter the ground, installing temperature checks, requiring masks to be worn, one-way systems and providing a code of conduct for all those attending on a matchday. This will all be bolstered by deep-cleaning practices to help further reduce the risk of virus transmission.

Clubs want to be pro-active on this matter and willing to consider measures both in the stadium and on the approach that will allay any concerns as to fans’ safety. From a travel perspective, clubs will work closely with experts and local authorities to model solutions relevant for each stadium to ease pressure on public transport, while extra parking facilities could be available so a greater proportion of you can travel by private car or bicycle

We are determined to identify a path forward with Government.  We need clarity for our clubs and for you as supporters as to what the roadmap for change in this area looks like. We all know why caution is needed, and we ask Government for consistency in their policy so sport is treated as fairly as other activities currently allowed to welcome spectators.

So, we will continue to urge the relevant authorities to let us, together, use innovative ways to bring fans safely back into football grounds, starting with a return of the test event programme.  If we do so, then the benefits will be felt not just by fans but throughout society and the economy.

Richard Masters, Premier League Chief Executive

David Baldwin, EFL Chief Executive

Mark Bullingham, FA Chief Executive

Kelly Simmons, FA Director of Women's Professional Game

TAKEN FROM: https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/open-letter-to-supporters-together-we-will-get-fans-safely-back-into-grounds/

• Admin

WATCH LIVE SPORT AT ASHTON GATE

TUESDAY, OCTOBER 6TH 2020

Ashton Gate is pleased to announce a number of sporting events that will be screened live in the Ashton Gate Sports Bar & Pizzeria.

Including matches such as England v Wales in the Nations League as well as 6 Nations action between Italy and England, the Sports Bar & Pizzeria is the ideal place to watch some of the biggest events on the sporting calendar on the largest indoor screen in the country. You can also take advantage of great pizza courtesy of our partners Pizza Workshop.

Customers can book a table for up to 6 people in the Pizzeria by emailing reservations@ashtongate.co.uk

Live Sport Schedule:

Thursday 8 October – England v Wales – Nations League 8pm KO

Saturday 10 October – Bears v TBC, KO is TBC

Sunday 11 October – England v Belgium – Nations League 5.00pm KO

Wednesday 14 October – England v Denmark – Nations League 7.45pm KO

Friday 16 October – Bears v Toulon - European Challenge Cup Final 8.00pm KO

Saturday 17 October – Exeter Chiefs v Racing 92 – European Champions Cup Final 4.45pm KO

Saturday 31 October – Italy v England – 6 Nations – 4.45pm KO

Please note in line with government guidelines there is a 10pm curfew that applies. The venue must be clear by 10pm.

TAKEN FROM: https://www.bristol-sport.co.uk/news/watch-live-sport-at-ashton-gate/

43 minutes ago, phantom said:

I have to say I completely disagree with this, equally backed up by these figures

image.png

There is so little trouble in and around grounds nowadays in this country, and is far worse in and around other European leagues.

I think you are being very disrespectful assuming that people will flout any new guidelines and just look to play up and break guidelines

Since when have banning orders been a measure of anything meaningful? They're wholly useless, ineffective and exclude such measures as being able to prevent fans from travelling abroad by temporarily restricting passports.

I haven't said some will play up to new measures; I did say some wouldn't obey new measures in exactly the same way as they've never previously accepted existing measures. And that's the problem with the virus, it only takes a handful to cause great harm, far moreso than a handbags punch up.

Good to see the club backing the petition to #letfansin

Whether you want to attend or not, the Government’s stance, while allowing the O2 to open, will cripple clubs smaller than us and it has to be the right thing to sign. If it’s “relatively” safe indoors at the RAH, it’s the same at Ashton Gate.

• Like 2

• Admin
33 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Since when have banning orders been a measure of anything meaningful? They're wholly useless, ineffective and exclude such measures as being able to prevent fans from travelling abroad by temporarily restricting passports.

I haven't said some will play up to new measures; I did say some wouldn't obey new measures in exactly the same way as they've never previously accepted existing measures. And that's the problem with the virus, it only takes a handful to cause great harm, far moreso than a handbags punch up.

OK, what are you basing your opinion on that "English football behaviour, both inside and outside stadiums, has long been up there with the worst"  then that means so many won't abide by new guidelines? 

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

OK, what are you basing your opinion on that "English football behaviour, both inside and outside stadiums, has long been up there with the worst"  then that means so many won't abide by new guidelines? 

Experience, both domestic and international, the latter of which I gave up given it wasn't worth the bother given the volume of numpties abounds.

Probably the best measure is the amount of policing required and investments in reactive intelligence  (I used to have done professional dealings with the FIU.) Given successes in combatting thuggery much football related violence and criminality takes place far away from stadia (as those following us away will appreciate,) though football related it remains.

But that's to digress from the big issue, that's a virus thugs can't fight other than to act with responsible caution.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Hopefully with no alcohol on sale and masked up- socially distanced.

I wonder if all that would occur at football.

The rules at cinemas is that you have to be masked up unless you’re eating.

I only twigged this on Saturday when every other bastard walked in with a king size popcorn

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On balance, open up socially distanced and to a safe number but with the following, IMO:

1. Allocated arrival times.
  2. Possibly allocated leaving times.
  3. Masks even in view of the pitch.
  4. No alcohol anywhere in the ground.
  5. Maybe temperature checks on entry? This was mentioned before.
  6. Socially distanced and with the greatest capacity allowable within the Science.
  7. No Singing Section.

Sure there's more. Oh yeah and the necessity for strict enforcement- Mayor of Amsterdam or Rotterdam was quite irate a couple of weeks ago about fans chanting- I think it's possible that there is a ban on singing in stadia there at this time. I'll try and find the snippet about the Mayor but anyway...

https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2020/09/knvb-says-fans-need-time-to-adjust-to-ban-on-singing-in-stadiums/

5 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

The rules at cinemas is that you have to be masked up unless you’re eating.

I only twigged this on Saturday when every other bastard walked in with a king size popcorn

Well gives it parity with pubs I guess, unsure on the Science...

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

Would be nice to see this petition get some traction, I think that football clubs are being unfairly penalised compared to other industries and especially in the lower leagues it's important to see the fans return otherwise they are just not viable. I expect this to be dismissed by the government but hopefully I am wrong. Other countries are allowing fans back under certain conditions so for me continuing the ban seems very strict.

• Like 1

• Admin
45 minutes ago, Baba Yaga said:

Would be nice to see this petition get some traction, I think that football clubs are being unfairly penalised compared to other industries and especially in the lower leagues it's important to see the fans return otherwise they are just not viable. I expect this to be dismissed by the government but hopefully I am wrong. Other countries are allowing fans back under certain conditions so for me continuing the ban seems very strict.

I thought there was a discussion scheduled for parliament today?

This is before the petition started - Over 147k now

Ground no. 140 visited for me last night watching Thornbury Town v Newent in an entertaining 3-3 draw. £5 entry and £2.50 for a bottle of beer which you could drink pitchside. 

Like many other non-league clubs, Thornbury have experienced a slight rise in crowds and haven't gone below 125 so far this season, which is very good considering the level (step 10).

Manor Farm v Cray Wanderers hopefully next Tuesday in an FA Cup game which should attract 300-400 spectators.

I do wonder why those complaining about not being able to attend live sport and spend their time signing petitions don't just find out where their nearest non-league club is and go and support them for a season.

The petition could have 5 million signatures, the government still aren't going to open stadiums this season.

Go and support grassroots football. 

• Like 2

• Admin
19 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I do wonder why those complaining about not being able to attend live sport and spend their time signing petitions don't just find out where their nearest non-league club is and go and support them for a season.

The petition could have 5 million signatures, the government still aren't going to open stadiums this season.

No offence but why would I want to go and watch a non league side that I have no connection with?

I support / watch Bristol City, have no interest in anyone else

As for the last remark, I think things will change soon - as per test events at first. There is a lot of pressure mounting on the Government to rethink the decision about crowds in sport. I honestly believe changes will be sooner than later

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phantom said:

No offence but why would I want to go and watch a non league side that I have no connection with?

As for the last remark, I think things will change soon - as per test events at first. There is a lot of pressure mounting on the Government to rethink the decision about crowds in sport. I honestly believe changes will be sooner than later

Really? If anything we’re looking at further restrictions given mounting infection levels.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phantom said:

No offence taken. If they are your local club then why would you have no connection with them? If you enjoy going to watch live football then why wouldn't you enjoy going to watch live football?

Crowds won't be allowed in stadiums until next year now, the government and health experts have made that pretty clear. The situation is getting worse, not better. There were actually a lot of local non-league games cancelled last night due to covid cases. Odd Down and Chipping Sodbury to name two...

• Admin
8 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

No offence taken. If they are your local club then why would you have no connection with them? If you enjoy going to watch live football then why wouldn't you enjoy going to watch live football?

Crowds won't be allowed in stadiums until next year now, the government and health experts have made that pretty clear. The situation is getting worse, not better. There were actually a lot of local non-league games cancelled last night due to covid cases. Odd Down and Chipping Sodbury to name two...

I guess it depends how low I go,

City are my "local" team, but equally living in Weston, I could watch them, or even go down another few levels and watch Worle FC

Phil Wallace - Stevenage Owner on Covid (SSN 2:35pm today)

Highlights:

- clubs have invested time and effort working through “return to playing” guidelines with SAG to work out how they can get a safe quantity of fans back in

- inconsistent approach re indoor venues

- you can watch women’s team in same stadium as the men!

- blanket ban on crowds in pro football is wrong, many / all clubs can satisfy a given number for their ground

- testing is necessary (needs to come back), but for Stevenage it’s £3.5k per round.  He suggests it should be twice weekly (£7k per week) to avoid picking up a symptomatic player on Monday who was sat on a coach with the whole team on Saturday.  They can’t afford it

- PFA claimed player welfare last season, so shouldn’t they contribute to the testing cost....they have tens of millions of retained earnings.  Not saying they should pay for the lot though

- commence test events to prove it can be done safely.

- lots of Lg1/2 clubs are in real problems in November, not just gate income lost, but banqueting etc etc

- potential transfer levy idea to put into a pot to help in bad times (now!)

He genuinely looked choked talking about it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Baba Yaga said:

Most, not all. There are other industries in a similar if not worse boat than Sport.

Events for one- Events Industry surely ****** for the foreseeable.