Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport


Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

The U8s team I help coach had a game this morning. Handshakes after the game weren’t allowed.

With the news of a lower level team in NI having a player positive for COVID-19, and the measures taken there, it does seem that even if the season isn’t postponed it might be extended for some.

Logically, if a player tests positive and has to self isolate for 14 days, so do his teammates in view of the close working environment- hence no game for two weeks. Taking this a step further, if (say) Denis Odoi is announced as having COVID on Monday, it’s likely not only Fulham but BCFC players would be caught by an isolation requirement. I would hope in such a circumstance that the league would be pragmatic rather than try and force, say, 4 games in 10 days at the end of the season to finish on schedule.

Looking further afield, deaths in Italy have jumped today and there is now a major quarantine. The season is likely to be extended there - behind closed doors at moment but with 15m people (including Milan) in quarantine, teams in that area also can’t travel so not to breach the quarantine area.

It’s highly unlikely professional athletes are at mortal risk from COVID - but in view of the wider safety measures that may/will be needed to protect the at risk population, an extension is very much on the cards now for me.

Guess we will find out more tomorrow with Government due to meet again with subject of large sporting events on the agenda

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

I disagree simply because not every family is in the unfortunate position to have a family member susceptible to catching any virus. And let's face it, it could be any virus if you are vulnerable. 

That’s true, and I’m not even saying I’m worried for myself, there’s a lot higher percentage in loads  of other things that will wipe me out. 
But that don’t mean I won’t put down others, that may be worried. 
As we all know however small the fatality rate is still requires people to die. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

That’s true, and I’m not even saying I’m worried for myself, there’s a lot higher percentage in loads  of other things that will wipe me out. 
But that don’t mean I won’t put down others, that may be worried. 
As we all know however small the fatality rate is still requires people to die. 

I won't put down others either. Agree with that. People are free to do as they wish and should not be ridiculed regardless of their view. It's a real concern to all of us that much is true. How it is managed should be open to scrutiny.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Sturny said:

17 million have been quarantined in Italy now. We’re a little over a week behind them I wondering if it’ll be a similar case here. 

Italy got it early where lots were unaware of it. I like to think it wont get as bad here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Super said:

Italy got it early where lots were unaware of it. I like to think it wont get as bad here.

The thing I don’t understand is this. Yes, the situation is not as bad here currently. But Italy have taken drastic measures - first shutting down specific towns, and now a whole region. Given our tactics are currently limited to advice on basic hygiene, what reason do we have to believe there won’t be a similar escalation in cases here?

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

The thing I don’t understand is this. Yes, the situation is not as bad here currently. But Italy have taken drastic measures - first shutting down specific towns, and now a whole region. Given our tactics are currently limited to advice on basic hygiene, what reason do we have to believe there won’t be a similar escalation in cases here?

Yep...especially as we are allowing people to fly into the UK from affected areas of Italy and pretty much do as they like ...

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yep...especially as we are allowing people to fly into the UK from affected areas of Italy and pretty much do as they like ...

I saw a tweet of someone who flew to an Italian airport with no checks. It’s almost like some countries have already admitted defeat or something 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yep...especially as we are allowing people to fly into the UK from affected areas of Italy and pretty much do as they like ...

Exactly - I genuinely don’t understand how we can expect the situation not to get as bad here as it is in Italy if we’re not taking proactive steps to prevent it doing so.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Chappers said:

Just Google Hong Kong flu, a pandemic in 1968, very similar to this, minus the panic, press and bog roll hoarding. There have been a few flu strains over the years, Spanish flu in 1918 being the worst. Just seems to be a natural occurrence, but nowadays we have 24/7 media to scare us. 

media says bog rolls are being panic bought and shelves are empty, but please dont panic buy them; so everyone panic buys as to be not left without any.:doh: was the same for many other dont panic buy things including petrol etc.

You are right re winter flu/virus strains, meanwhile real killers like cancers hardly get a mention unless its someone important.

The media will turn its attention somewhere or to someone else in a few weeks.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

media says bog rolls are being panic bought and shelves are empty, but please dont panic buy them; so everyone panic buys as to be not left without any.:doh: was the same for many other dont panic buy things including petrol etc.

You are right re winter flu/virus strains, meanwhile real killers like cancers hardly get a mention unless its someone important.

The media will turn its attention somewhere or to someone else in a few weeks.

 

Italy just quarantined 16,000,000 people and you’re still trying to portray this as a media-driven storm in a tea cup?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I reckon the UK will be in lockdown within 2-3 weeks, if the number of cases and deaths keep rising as quickly as they currently are... maybe sooner. 

I’ve read some expert comments on twitter saying that the escalation in Italy isn’t directly comparable to the UK because they have a different population demographic (very broadly, older), a different healthcare setup (I don’t understand what difference that makes to spread), and most pertinently there was a hot spot of spread in one particular area that went undetected by the authorities until it was too late.

I personally find the economic impact almost as concerning as the health risks (with due respect to those most at risk). I can’t begin to imagine what a shutdown might do to some businesses.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

WTF is with this bog roll bulk buying?

here in Swindle the shelves are empty. I’m lucky enough to have a Booker account so I went there today - they had a bloke guarding the bog roll section ensuring that business owners were restricted to buying only 2 cases each. 

There really isn’t any need for this - the bog roll factories are still operational. 

If the stadiums can’t source any bog rolls then they would have to close I assume. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Still similar to swine flu with the original worst case scenario at 1.3 million deaths then 500k the  last couple of weeks now were down to 100k worst case scenario.. Last year flu killed 22k so they are essentially saying that the worst case scenario is that it will be 4 times the amount of deaths this year than flu(that 100k figure also includes there predicted normal flu deaths by the way as well) ... While still not ideal it's hardly the dooms day scenario they portrayed... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I’ve read some expert comments on twitter saying that the escalation in Italy isn’t directly comparable to the UK because they have a different population demographic (very broadly, older), a different healthcare setup (I don’t understand what difference that makes to spread), and most pertinently there was a hot spot of spread in one particular area that went undetected by the authorities until it was too late.

I personally find the economic impact almost as concerning as the health risks (with due respect to those most at risk). I can’t begin to imagine what a shutdown might do to some businesses.

Exactly. Read experts opinions. That’s the best thing to do instead of guessing like so many are doing. Guessing with no knowledge 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tunnie12345 said:

Still similar to swine flu with the original worst case scenario at 1.3 million deaths then 500k the  last couple of weeks now were down to 100k worst case scenario.. Last year flu killed 22k so they are essentially saying that the worst case scenario is that it will be 4 times the amount of deaths this year than flu(that 100k figure also includes there predicted normal flu deaths by the way as well) ... While still not ideal it's hardly the dooms day scenario they portrayed... 

Yet they estimate that swine flu actually killed hundreds of thousands 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Sturny said:

17 million have been quarantined in Italy now. We’re a little over a week behind them I wondering if it’ll be a similar case here. 

Very much doubt it. Especially if the govt continue their sensible approach.

6 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I’ve read some expert comments on twitter saying that the escalation in Italy isn’t directly comparable to the UK because they have a different population demographic (very broadly, older), a different healthcare setup (I don’t understand what difference that makes to spread), and most pertinently there was a hot spot of spread in one particular area that went undetected by the authorities until it was too late.

Latin countries tend to be more family oriented and social and, although not this time of year, spend more time in family get together's. Might also be relevant here. 

Edited by havanatopia
Link to post
Share on other sites

Another COBRA meeting today and looking ominous that major sporting events and other social distancing measures  will be introduced? 

 

Bad news for the Sags on social distancing - no more marrying your sisters😬

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yep...especially as we are allowing people to fly into the UK from affected areas of Italy and pretty much do as they like ...

And a workmate has a holiday planned there for next week and no advice not to travel and holiday company will not refund! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Over 70 flights from the quarantined area of Italy landed in the UK yesterday. No checks on the passengers.

Joined up planning.

Couldn't make it up 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I’ve read some expert comments on twitter saying that the escalation in Italy isn’t directly comparable to the UK because they have a different population demographic (very broadly, older), a different healthcare setup (I don’t understand what difference that makes to spread), and most pertinently there was a hot spot of spread in one particular area that went undetected by the authorities until it was too late.

I personally find the economic impact almost as concerning as the health risks (with due respect to those most at risk). I can’t begin to imagine what a shutdown might do to some businesses.

Yep, I've read that too but the bottom line is it's here and spreading pretty quickly. The only way to contain it will therefore be by self-isolation, quarantine and cancellation of large gatherings. 

I can't believe the government haven't insisted upon screening people returning from infected areas. That may be looked back on as a big mistake. 

8 hours ago, RedDave said:

Exactly. Read experts opinions. That’s the best thing to do instead of guessing like so many are doing. Guessing with no knowledge 

 I do thanks, and they don't all agree. However, employing common sense leads me to the above conclusion. 

If some sort of lockdown commences in a couple of weeks over the Easter football schedule you could see seems having 3 or more games cancelled. If that happens it's difficult to see how the season could be completed without extending it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I reckon the UK will be in lockdown within 2-3 weeks, if the number of cases and deaths keep rising as quickly as they currently are... maybe sooner. 

Yep. It's a 9 week period of disruption which has already began 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Over 70 flights from the quarantined area of Italy landed in the UK yesterday. No checks on the passengers.

Joined up planning.

Even third world countries like Ghana and Cambodia are screening people. Absolutely bizarre approach from the government. Almost like they're incompetent 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Very much doubt it. Especially if the govt continue their sensible approach.

Latin countries tend to be more family oriented and social and, although not this time of year, spend more time in family get together's. Might also be relevant here. 

I don't think our approach is sensible as it could be. We're approaching this in a very reactive way rather than proactive.  

Italy are trying to stay one step ahead of coronavius by shutting schools and large events. We're reacting slowly and I don't see schools etc being closed until its too late. It'll probably happen no matter what, but the spread can be slowed which is the main thing to help hospitals 

Edited by Sturny
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...