Jump to content

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport


Recommended Posts

The shutdown of sport worldwide has revealed, in particularly , for football,  the precarious nature of the business.

Will the governing bodies take the opportunity to reset the rules ? 
 

Will clubs now realise that paying more for wages than you bring in must stop and now ?

Will players accept less money in the future    to ensure that their sport survives ? 
 

Will TV companies reduce their offers ?

Will Joe Public stop paying ridiculous percentages of their household budget for Sky and company ? 
 

I really hope the answer to all these questions is a resounding ‘ yes ‘ and that some ‘ good ‘ can come out of this crisis.

 

This is a wake up call. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RedM said:

I did think this a couple of days ago.

The concourses are bloody cold, even more so when the stadium is empty of people so some industrial heaters would be needed. Plenty of toilets though and the area could be divided up quite easily.

Aprt from the concourses the rooms and facilities both for hospitality and the boxes are fantastic, as as the kitchens etc behind the scenes. 

I think our stadium if not already being considered would be a strong possibility. Nearly all staff have now been furloued so the place is empty too.

Interesting.

Am assuming therefore, albeit at an early stage and with limited info that at this time:

  1. Fans have taken a hit- no football for which they have paid atm (thinking ST holders basically).
  2. Fans will also in a number of cases have taken a hit- simply due to the economic downturn, layoffs etc.
  3. Club has taken a hit- no matchday revenue or associated revenue, let alone corporate revenue through the year that's surely on hold. Broadcast revenue?
  4. Talking of that, broadcasters will have taken a hit with cancelled/paused subscriptions.
  5. Staff at club have taken a bit of a hit- not a huge hit but being furloughed (sp?), does that mean full salaries or the 80% thing?
  6. Casual matchday staff have obviously or will have surely taken a 100% hit- nature of the job, get paid when at work etc.
  7. Rugby have obviously taken  a hit- see 25%?

Am I missing someone, or something here- the biggest cost of all? :whistle2:

Still early days @Hare Island as per the discussion the other day but seems that players being paid at full as it stands?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Interesting.

Am assuming therefore, albeit at an early stage and with limited info that at this time:

  1. Fans have taken a hit- no football for which they have paid atm (thinking ST holders basically).
  2. Fans will also in a number of cases have taken a hit- simply due to the economic downturn, layoffs etc.
  3. Club has taken a hit- no matchday revenue or associated revenue, let alone corporate revenue through the year that's surely on hold. Broadcast revenue?
  4. Talking of that, broadcasters will have taken a hit with cancelled/paused subscriptions.
  5. Staff at club have taken a bit of a hit- not a huge hit but being furloughed (sp?), does that mean full salaries or the 80% thing?
  6. Casual matchday staff have obviously or will have surely taken a 100% hit- nature of the job, get paid when at work etc.
  7. Rugby have obviously taken  a hit- see 25%?

Am I missing someone, or something here- the biggest cost of all? :whistle2:

Still early days @Hare Island as per the discussion the other day but seems that players being paid at full as it stands?

It does seem players are being paid in full. Inaction from players and club is beginning to leave a bad taste tbh. Other clubs are doing more for their communities. We have a rich owner with proud Bristolian heritage, and players earning more in a month than many of the non-playing staff or local residents will earn in a year.

Could it be possible to:

- Donate a % of player wages to support non-playing staff

- Make a donation to local hospices, which are now in dire financial straits just as they could play a major role particularly if there is a trend for some towards palliation vs treatment

- Use the Gate as a community hub for storage and distribution of food aid or medical supplies

- Retain commercial catering supply chains and offer meals to those in close proximity 

Surely more can be done in extraordinary times?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

It does seem players are being paid in full. Inaction from players and club is beginning to leave a bad taste tbh. Other clubs are doing more for their communities. We have a rich owner with proud Bristolian heritage, and players earning more in a month than many of the non-playing staff or local residents will earn in a year.

Could it be possible to:

- Donate a % of player wages to support non-playing staff

- Make a donation to local hospices, which are now in dire financial straits just as they could play a major role particularly if there is a trend for some towards palliation vs treatment

- Use the Gate as a community hub for storage and distribution of food aid or medical supplies

- Retain commercial catering supply chains and offer meals to those in close proximity 

Surely more can be done in extraordinary times?

Maybe some of those things are happening ?

But some may not even be necessary or practical due to lock down.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

It does seem players are being paid in full. Inaction from players and club is beginning to leave a bad taste tbh. Other clubs are doing more for their communities. We have a rich owner with proud Bristolian heritage, and players earning more in a month than many of the non-playing staff or local residents will earn in a year.

Could it be possible to:

- Donate a % of player wages to support non-playing staff

- Make a donation to local hospices, which are now in dire financial straits just as they could play a major role particularly if there is a trend for some towards palliation vs treatment

- Use the Gate as a community hub for storage and distribution of food aid or medical supplies

- Retain commercial catering supply chains and offer meals to those in close proximity 

Surely more can be done in extraordinary times?

Lots of people - I would suggest most - are receiving their full wages.  NHS staff, council staff, civil servants, MPs. pretty much every office worker.

Footballers will be training every day; just not playing games.  Isn't this just another swipe at the level of their wages?

For which you should blame club owners for sanctioning those wages.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Lots of people - I would suggest most - are receiving their full wages.  NHS staff, council staff, civil servants, MPs. pretty much every office worker.

Footballers will be training every day; just not playing games.  Isn't this just another swipe at the level of their wages?

For which you should blame club owners for sanctioning those wages.

No swipe at anyone, just suggesting that there is an opportunity to help out at an acute time of need. 
 

Many people are getting their full wage, many won’t be. A good objective metric for this being huge increase in applications for Universal Credit.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

No swipe at anyone, just suggesting that there is an opportunity to help out at an acute time of need. 
 

Many people are getting their full wage, many won’t be. A good objective metric for this being huge increase in applications for Universal Credit.

Fair enough.

But as with anything similar it is ten times better if people voluntarily choose to do it rather than being pressured to do so.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Lots of people - I would suggest most - are receiving their full wages.  NHS staff, council staff, civil servants, MPs. pretty much every office worker.

Footballers will be training every day; just not playing games.  Isn't this just another swipe at the level of their wages?

I'm an office worker. Doing my job everyday as normal (just from home) and being paid for it accordingly. I am not just doing half-arsed training courses day in day out, keeping myself vaguely ready to start working again in a few months time.

That's effectively what footballers are doing at them moment. Professional footballers job is to play competitive matches in front of paying fans. That's what brings in the money that pays their wages. All sorts of workers have to do training in order to perform their actual jobs. Some are still able to do so, others (including footballers) are not.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Cider_boy said:

I'm an office worker. Doing my job everyday as normal (just from home) and being paid for it accordingly. I am not just doing half-arsed training courses day in day out, keeping myself vaguely ready to start working again in a few months time.

That's effectively what footballers are doing at them moment. Professional footballers job is to play competitive matches in front of paying fans. That's what brings in the money that pays their wages. All sorts of workers have to do training in order to perform their actual jobs. Some are still able to do so, others (including footballers) are not.

They are of course being paid for that 90 minutes of performance but they are also doing ?20 hours of training each week to prepare for that.

As long as they are training they are fulfilling 90% of their contract and everything within their control.  They should be paid.

I wasn't knocking people who are working from home; I once did it for six months and hated it.  It's all the grind of office work without any of the fun and banter.  I was so depressed each Monday at 9am when I trudged up the stairs to my office to start yet another tedious tedious week.

The only people who think that working from home is a cross between a great skive and a party are those who have never done it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

They are of course being paid for that 90 minutes of performance but they are also doing ?20 hours of training each week to prepare for that.

As long as they are training they are fulfilling 90% of their contract and everything within their control.  They should be paid.

I wasn't knocking people who are working from home; I once did it for six months and hated it.  It's all the grind of office work without any of the fun and banter.  I was so depressed each Monday at 9am when I trudged up the stairs to my office to start yet another tedious tedious week.

The only people who think that working from home is a cross between a great skive and a party are those who have never done it.

I agree re working from home. The only benefit is the lack of a commute, the rest just makes the actual working day harder. But if I couldn't do the vital part of my job that brings the money in I'd be furloughed on 80% pay, max £2,500 pm. Why are footballers different?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hare Island said:

Use the Gate as a community hub for storage and distribution of food aid or medical supplies

It is. Well the Sports bar at least is being used for storage and distribution of food and clothes for the homeless.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Footballers are an easy target.

so are goalmouths but many footballers miss them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Footballers are an easy target.

Can be an easy target agreed, but as a nation it's debatable as to whether we're truly 'all in it together'. 

The latest reports are football won't resume until July...thats a massive ******* burden for the clubs if so. Massive.

Barcelona players are taking cuts. Juventus players are taking cuts. Maybe deferrals I'm unsure but it's interesting

OTOH there's certainly no uniform pattern. Not even in the same sporting group (see rugby cut/deferral vs football wages as usual).

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Nomad said:

It is. Well the Sports bar at least is being used for storage and distribution of food and clothes for the homeless.

Any link to that, or source? 

Only it's a great story- in these troubled times even more so.

The AMEX story similar, though you didn't mention it IIRC. Googled it but nothing much.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Any link to that, or source? 

Only it's a great story- in these troubled times even more so.

The AMEX story similar, though you didn't mention it IIRC. Googled it but nothing much.

No link mate. Walk through every day and briefly stopped to chat to security guard - safe distance of course. You could see the supplies ready for distribution.  No idea who is organising. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Nomad said:

No link mate. Walk through every day and briefly stopped to chat to security guard - safe distance of course. You could see the supplies ready for distribution.  No idea who is organising. 

That's great to hear. 

Said it before (not thinking of any club in particular), football as an industry could do a decent amount here.

Time of national emergency, pandemic- we all have a part to play IMO.

I see Brighton are giving 1,000 free tickets to NHS workers once this gets going. Bournemouth have joined them with the same. 👏 to both.

They're hoping clubs will join them with the target of 100,000...interesting to see how many clubs will join that.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Juventus players are taking cuts. Maybe deferrals I'm unsure but it's interesting

Thought I read Juve players were foregoing wages for 4 months saving the club 89m

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Hare Island said:

It does seem players are being paid in full. Inaction from players and club is beginning to leave a bad taste tbh. Other clubs are doing more for their communities. We have a rich owner with proud Bristolian heritage, and players earning more in a month than many of the non-playing staff or local residents will earn in a year.

Could it be possible to:

- Donate a % of player wages to support non-playing staff

- Make a donation to local hospices, which are now in dire financial straits just as they could play a major role particularly if there is a trend for some towards palliation vs treatment

- Use the Gate as a community hub for storage and distribution of food aid or medical supplies

- Retain commercial catering supply chains and offer meals to those in close proximity 

Surely more can be done in extraordinary times?

How do you know what people are and aren’t doing/giving? It doesn’t always have to be made public 

  • Like 2
  • Hmmm 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

How do you know what people are and aren’t doing/giving? It doesn’t always have to be made public 

While this is true, it's more applicable to individual donations IMO. 

At a club level, or maybe players deferring wages, this tends to get into the media one way or another.

Can be impressive PR for a club for one. Secondly, it just has a way of finding its way out into the news- football is a leaky industry!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Quite agree.

Tim Whatshisface from 'Spoons has been getting grief for ages, Brexit, not paying staff and not paying suppliers.

Pretty sure that despite the 'outrage' of today, his pubs will be full the moment social distancing is over.

Ancelotti thinks football is set for a big adjustment. Time will tell I suppose.

Still if PR doesn't matter then the club should make their position widely known, dissemination of it and explain and defend position.

Goes for clubs in general BTW.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, RedM said:

I don’t know about the players at the club but staff earning less than a certain (low) salary are on 80% furlough with SL making up the rest. People over this amount are on the 80%. 

So from that I deduce that that players are not being paid in full. 

Okay thanks, that makes more sense. Indeed makes sense.

Seems strange that no official announcement or media leaks unlike other clubs but that follows- interesting story killed.

Seems a little incongruous though, as set against other clubs.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

Apologies if this has been raised already but is / could the club be doing something like this?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/mar/29/home-park-nhs-find-new-ground-with-plymouth-coronavirus?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Seeing as Bristol sport started charging the blood donation service too much to use the car park so they had to go elsewhere, i wouldn’t put it past them saying no this time. 

  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...