IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

26 minutes ago, Bobby Bollax said:

That’s right.

my sister is an A&E nurse in a local hospital. She hasn’t been tested...

Presumably she can be now though if she wishes? She can go online and book one now or have I misunderstood? I know my other half can`t get one yet (she`s in food retail) as she`s not showing any symptoms but surely front line NHS staff aren`t bound by that are they?

On 23/04/2020 at 10:06, wayne allisons tongues said:

Reading that champ clubs want any clubs who defer wages to have a transfer ban and when season resumes there loan players must also return. 
Not sure how that’s going to work, but guess it could all be tied to the contract end dates etc. 

Be bad news for us if we lose Afobe  Benkovic and Pereria. 

Highly unlikely for a decision like this to be made so soon, given how long it takes to come to any form of conclusion re FFP issues

I see that PNE manager has had his day today too.....

1 hour ago, Loosey Boy said:

Highly unlikely for a decision like this to be made so soon, given how long it takes to come to any form of conclusion re FFP issues

I see that PNE manager has had his day today too.....

Essentially, clubs doing the right thing- the right thing by their staff (Leeds deferral enables non playing staff to get paid in full) and the right thing in an unprecedented global pandemic- protecting jobs plus taking a hit, not least as fans are losing out in this, in it together all that bollocks, will get penalised potentially under this scenario.

@wayne allisons tongues That second bit about loanee returns is something new- any links?

Talking of clubs taking the piss, I see Derby have furloughed their U23 squad for April and May.

It's funny, Rooney's column slated the furore about football wages in these times and he said absolutely they would take a hit so staff can be paid. Not quite transpiring that way in reality.

Having said that signing players with savings made- but what savings given the difference between a cut and a deferral? Talking in general now.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

13 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Essentially, clubs doing the right thing- the right thing by their staff (Leeds deferral enables non playing staff to get paid in full) and the right thing in an unprecedented global pandemic- protecting jobs plus taking a hit, not least as fans are losing out in this, in it together all that bollocks, will get penalised potentially under this scenario.

@wayne allisons tongues That second bit about loanee returns is something new- any links?

Talking of clubs taking the piss, I see Derby have furloughed their U23 squad for April and May.

It's funny, Rooney's column slated the furore about football wages in these times and he said absolutely they would take a hit so staff can be paid. Not quite transpiring that way in reality.

Having said that signing players with savings made- but what savings given the difference between a cut and a deferral? Talking in general now.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/11428606/championship-clubs-coronavirus-wage-cuts-row/

Sorry it’s the sun, first I found on it, been doing rounds last few days. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/11428606/championship-clubs-coronavirus-wage-cuts-row/

Thanks.

As you said in your post, could be tied to contract dates etc, the loan thing.  Still think regardless of this issue, common sense means that loans, conttacts extended- if they end sometime in July or late July, so be it- need to have squads as close to what we currently have for sporting integrity etc.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Thanks.

As you said in your post, could be tied to contract dates etc, the loan thing.  Still think regardless of this issue, common sense means that loans, conttacts extended- if they end sometime in July or late July, so be it- need to have squads as close to what we currently have for sporting integrity etc.

Hopefully will not be a problem, but can see other clubs POV why are they paying full wages and let clubs save money to keep loanees. Think they have a point for a fair league, otherwise we are going to have clubs with there finances everywhere. Swansea 1 year to pay back deferrals but pay Liverpool and the wage for Brewster.

30 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

The Sun, do you mean the paper with the largest daily circulation in the UK (apart from one other which is free) why apologise, either people are lying about reading it (due to its circulation) or there are a lot of hypocrites that read it but pretend to be outraged about it, personally I only buy it on a Saturday, but let's not play at being outraged by it's existence because of what went on about the Liverpool reporting, they made a huge error of judgment we now know with hindsight they were completely wrong, hold your hands up who hasn't done the same at some point?

29 minutes ago, pillred said:

The Sun, do you mean the paper with the largest daily circulation in the UK (apart from one other which is free) why apologise, either people are lying about reading it (due to its circulation) or there are a lot of hypocrites that read it but pretend to be outraged about it, personally I only buy it on a Saturday, but let's not play at being outraged by it's existence because of what went on about the Liverpool reporting, they made a huge error of judgment we now know with hindsight they were completely wrong, hold your hands up who hasn't done the same at some point?

Newspaper circulation in general has been in decline for a few years now. Just because the sun is the best selling paper doesn’t mean many people read it. 

I dont think Hillsborough is the only thing they’ve done wrong there either.  

12 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

Newspaper circulation in general has been in decline for a few years now. Just because the sun is the best selling paper doesn’t mean many people read it. 

I dont think Hillsborough is the only thing they’ve done wrong there either.  

No it's not, but people continually use the Liverpool/Hillsboro reporting as a stick to beat them with, look if all news paper circulations are down but the Sun is still the biggest seller (I only have the official circulation figures to go on) then a lot of people are still reading it, depending on your political persuasion you will either choose the Mail and Sun or something like the mirror or Guardian personally I lean towards the Former but certainly take most of what they say with a good pinch of salt.

4 hours ago, pillred said:

No it's not, but people continually use the Liverpool/Hillsboro reporting as a stick to beat them with, look if all news paper circulations are down but the Sun is still the biggest seller (I only have the official circulation figures to go on) then a lot of people are still reading it, depending on your political persuasion you will either choose the Mail and Sun or something like the mirror or Guardian personally I lean towards the Former but certainly take most of what they say with a good pinch of salt.

I only read the telegraph these days....the sun did used to be great on Saturdays with their footy coverage though.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pillred said:

No it's not, but people continually use the Liverpool/Hillsboro reporting as a stick to beat them with.

96 football fans died and they printed total lies. There has been some total shit written on this forum over the years ,but this takes the biscuit.  Well done you.

Edited by Vincent Vega
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, pillred said:

Awful paper. I always find it depressing but not surprising people consume the tabloids and broadloids as they do.

I don’t think I’d mind as much if they presented themselves as magazines, clear in their opinion and agenda, but to present themselves as newspapers is deplorable.

If you had to publish your sports reporting and lifestyle magazines separately, the circulations would drop monumentally.

And yes, as a football fan you should always be disgusted by the way Bettison, the Sun, Ingham and Thatcher immediately began to cover up the police failings on the day by blaming and discrediting football fans. Their actions, lies, discrediting and cover up over the following years, is the real crime and evil of Hillsborough, not Duckenfield’s incompetence on the day.

It could have been any set of fans.

8 hours ago, pillred said:

The Sun, do you mean the paper with the largest daily circulation in the UK (apart from one other which is free) why apologise, either people are lying about reading it (due to its circulation) or there are a lot of hypocrites that read it but pretend to be outraged about it,

It might have the largest circulation, but it now only sells just over 1 million. So around 1 in 60 people in the UK read it. People are not lying about reading it, it’s just the vast majority of people don’t read it.

15 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

Interesting to see how this plays out now. Will this advance the decision by other leagues. 

I don’t understand the rush to make a decision with the timescales for the resumption of sport still so unclear - and I also don’t understand why the priority appears to be getting a new season started ahead of finishing one already 75% complete.

For me the priority absolutely must be to validate the games already played by finishing the season, ahead of starting a new one.

It may be that by the time football can resume, there’s only time for around a quarter of a season before the Euros. In that scenario, it would seem obvious to just play out the remainder of this season. If there’s time for more, I’d play a short season (for example, by everyone playing each other once only) but still make sure this one is finished.

But the point is we just don’t know yet.

(not aimed at you in particular @Vincent Vega - just penning my thoughts!)

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I don’t understand the rush to make a decision with the timescales for the resumption of sport still so unclear - and I also don’t understand why the priority appears to be getting a new season started ahead of finishing one already 75% complete.

For me the priority absolutely must be to validate the games already played by finishing the season, ahead of starting a new one.

It may be that by the time football can resume, there’s only time for around a quarter of a season before the Euros. In that scenario, it would seem obvious to just play out the remainder of this season. If there’s time for more, I’d play a short season (for example, by everyone playing each other once only) but still make sure this one is finished.

But the point is we just don’t know yet.

(not aimed at you in particular @Vincent Vega - just penning my thoughts!)

Personally if I can't go,the season is finished anyway . Bizarrely behind closed doors games make no difference to armchair fans do they. But for me if I cant actually attend with all that goes with the day itself ( Train in, meet friends, pie and a few beers .) Its pointless .

On the finishing this season at all costs . Only if it doesn't disrupt the next one is my standpoint.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bobby Bollax said:

That’s right.

my sister is an A&E nurse in a local hospital. She hasn’t been tested...

She's doing an awesome job,, thank you....even more tiring & stressful than ever now....

Across the board & ongoing testing for all hospital staff should be the aim,,,,not playing political games for the benefit of governmental damage limitation.......

Edited by Robert the bruce

2 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

On the finishing this season at all costs . Only if it doesn't disrupt the next one is my standpoint. 

The thing is we can’t know next season wouldn’t be uninterrupted, a second wave, back in lockdown and no way you fit a whole season in anyway 

2 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

96 football fans died and they printed total lies. There has been some total shit written on this forum over the years ,but this takes the biscuit.  Well done you.

It was 24 years ago they have apologised god knows how many times and have admitted they got it wrong I don't know what more they can do, if you don't want to let it go that's your prerogative.

2 hours ago, 054123 said:

Awful paper. I always find it depressing but not surprising people consume the tabloids and broadloids as they do.

I don’t think I’d mind as much if they presented themselves as magazines, clear in their opinion and agenda, but to present themselves as newspapers is deplorable.

If you had to publish your sports reporting and lifestyle magazines separately, the circulations would drop monumentally.

And yes, as a football fan you should always be disgusted by the way Bettison, the Sun, Ingham and Thatcher immediately began to cover up the police failings on the day by blaming and discrediting football fans. Their actions, lies, discrediting and cover up over the following years, is the real crime and evil of Hillsborough, not Duckenfield’s incompetence on the day.

It could have been any set of fans.

As I said I read it on Saturdays only and take most of it with a certain scepticism, yes calling it a NEWSpaper is a bit of a stretch, they were wrong in the way they reported Hillsboro but I have said elsewhere that was 24 years ago and the people working on it today can't really be held responsible for the actions of the people then, a bit like the war the German people today are not to blame for what happened 80 years ago, some people can never forgive them for it and I can completely understand that but it seems on here to admit you even read the Sun is heresy and I find that a bit strange, most papers if not all have printed things which are later proved to be false the Sun made a huge error of judgment and have apologised many times I personally have accepted that and moved on. 

2 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

It might have the largest circulation, but it now only sells just over 1 million. So around 1 in 60 people in the UK read it. People are not lying about reading it, it’s just the vast majority of people don’t read it.

All the papers circulations are way down due to the internet, my point was it remains the most bought so obviously is the most read (I think a lot more than a million actually read it) though I get your point.

2 hours ago, BCFC Grim said:

See no point in behind doors games? Football is about the passion of the fans, those memorable moments. I wont be making much effort to watch us from a screen that's for sure and I wouldn't care less if we got promoted or not.

It’s not about the fans though is it. When have football really given a shit about the fans. Not in the past couple of years, that’s for sure. This board is full of people complaining about sky and changed kick off times. “Football” didn’t give a toss then did it?  Finishing the season has nothing to do with the fans. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, pillred said:

It was 24 years ago they have apologised god knows how many times and have admitted they got it wrong I don't know what more they can do, if you don't want to let it go that's your prerogative.

To many people it doesn’t matter how long ago it was. Its not just Hillsborough anyway - it’s got a track record of racist, anti immigrant and homophobic leaning stories.  It’s a vile, hate preaching rag, but each to their own on what paper they take. Free country and free press and I respect the right of the public to consume whatever news they want. Doesn’t mean you have to respect the shite that they publish though. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, DSTAF said:

It’s not about the fans though is it. When have football really given a shit about the fans. Not in the past couple of years, that’s for sure. This board is full of people complaining about sky and changed kick off times. “Football” didn’t give a toss then did it?  Finishing the season has nothing to do with the fans. 

Yes I guess I should of said for me.

1 hour ago, pillred said:

As I said I read it on Saturdays only and take most of it with a certain scepticism, yes calling it a NEWSpaper is a bit of a stretch, they were wrong in the way they reported Hillsboro but I have said elsewhere that was 24 years ago and the people working on it today can't really be held responsible for the actions of the people then, a bit like the war the German people today are not to blame for what happened 80 years ago, some people can never forgive them for it and I can completely understand that but it seems on here to admit you even read the Sun is heresy and I find that a bit strange, most papers if not all have printed things which are later proved to be false the Sun made a huge error of judgment and have apologised many times I personally have accepted that and moved on. 

To be fair though the behaviour of the Sun newspaper throughout the past 24 years has been dreadful. It's not like the Hillsborough issue was unique. It was just the worst example. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mozo said:

To be fair though the behaviour of the Sun newspaper throughout the past 24 years has been dreadful. It's not like the Hillsborough issue was unique. It was just the worst example. 

Yes they are guilty of a lot of things I will certainly agree on that. I don't read it to be educated or even informed as such but it has a certain charm in its own way and the sports coverage especially the football is pretty good. I actually read the Mail as my daily though to some that seems just as bad.

4 hours ago, BCFC Grim said:

See no point in behind doors games? Football is about the passion of the fans, those memorable moments. I wont be making much effort to watch us from a screen that's for sure and I wouldn't care less if we got promoted or not.

Can you imagine no City fans if we got to a BCD play off final? There would be some who would try to get together near where it was played. Or people would get together locally. Just can't see how this could happen without causing a breakdown in social distancing... 

Edited by robin_unreliant

1 hour ago, pillred said:

Yes they are guilty of a lot of things I will certainly agree on that. I don't read it to be educated or even informed as such but it has a certain charm in its own way and the sports coverage especially the football is pretty good. I actually read the Mail as my daily though to some that seems just as bad.

Yeah and I'm not having a go at you. Read what you want. I personally don't touch those papers, but you won't find much media that isn't tainted in some way.

• Like 1