IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

10 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

I'm surprised Cheltenham has gone ahead, having been there myself in the past you couldn't ask for a better environment to spread it around. If one person has walked in there today with it then hundreds are taking it home with them.

Agree with that, horrible place. I've only been once and picked up a minging stomach bug. Insanity that it's going ahead, though I'd imagine the number of actual attendees will be lower than usual as many work companies cancel their trips. Good news for the people that do make it as they might actually be able to get served a beer in less than 30 minutes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sturny said:

I could not delete this one so will just say 'Hi Sturny, howz it going today?'

1 hour ago, bredwood said:

I think I'll be OK as I used to drink loads of this when I was a kid so I'm immune to it:

Qw34GPIBcorona-vintage.jpg

Thems were the days. I assume Corona is long since gone as a brand? If not then sadly it soon will be although I would be out in a flash buying it. But that's just me.

19 minutes ago, Marlborough Red said:

Some simple Maths lead me to the conclusion that the effect on the health of the UK from Coronavirus will not be anything like as bad as the media suggest.

We can probably all agree that China, where it originated , has been hit the hardest with 80,761 people having contracted the Virus and  3,136 deaths, The virus now seems to be under control in China with only 26 new cases yesterday in a population of 1 billion,400 million people.

• The % of the Chinese population who  tested positive for Coronavirus is only 0.006 %. This in the worst affected country. 
  • Lets assume  worst case , 1 % of UK  testing positive,. Almost 200 times higher infection rate than  China
  • 1% of the UK 67 million population represents 670,000 people who would get the Virus (currently 321)
  • Assuming current death rate in UK of 1.87%  dying from the virus 
  • Therefore expected deaths in UK from the Coronavirus could be around  12,529. (currently 5)
  • Highly unlikely we would get 4 times as many deaths as China in  a UK  population a fraction of the size
  • Using the Chinese Data ,  the number of UK infections drops to 4,020 and deaths drop to less than 100 !
  • Bear in mind that 616,014 people die every year in the UK,
  • 11,848 UK  deaths every week so you can perhaps see why I believe we are significantly  exaggerating the impact of Coronavirus on the UK . 

The economic damage caused by the panic is in my opinion far more dangerous in the long term to our economy and national prosperity 

I think your simple maths is quite seriously flawed for multiple reasons.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

I could not delete this one so will just say 'Hi Sturny, howz it going today?'

Thems were the days. I assume Corona is long since gone as a brand? If not then sadly it soon will be although I would be out in a flash buying it. But that's just me.

You used to get 2p I think if you took the empty back to a shop!  What a great idea, very environmental, good incentive to recycle, this is what Greta should be trying to push not blaming past generations who actually were way more environmentally friendly back in the day!

Edited by Tinmans Love Child
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Admin
28 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

I'm surprised Cheltenham has gone ahead, having been there myself in the past you couldn't ask for a better environment to spread it around. If one person has walked in there today with it then hundreds are taking it home with them.

But surely this just proves the real possibility of catching the virus is next to none?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

You used to get 2p I think if you took the empty back to a shop!  What a great idea, very environmental, good incentive to recycle, this is what Greta should be trying to push not blaming past generations who actually were way more environmentally friendly back in the day!

They do it in Germany.

Maybe they do it already in Greta's Sweden? 

In Germany it is called 'Pfand'. You'll see homeless people rooting around bins to fill their bags with discarded glass bottles. They can then collect the cents from the supermarket. Excellent system.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mozo said:

They do it in Germany.

In Germany it is called 'Pfand'. You'll see homeless people rooting around bins to fill their bags with discarded glass bottles. They can then collect the cents from the supermarket. Excellent system.

They should introduce a scheme for those little laughing gas canisters that get left on the floor, might encourage those crazy kids to not chuck them on the floor after their mild 5 second high

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AppyDAZE said:

Got me thinking what was that other drinks company that set up in the 70s, and their lorries used to go round the streets selling their stuff?

Not sure they lasted long, but they often had jobs going for young kids as drivers mates. This is (no joking) bugging me..

Help! Who were they or am i imagining this?

Alpine. We used to get it delivered in Keynsham.

Screenshot 2020-03-10 at 15.54.12.png

Edited by exAtyeoMax
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, mozo said:

They do it in Germany.

Corona still going strong in Germany? Excellent. Will be off there soon then. Fabulous.

3 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Corona still going strong in Germany? Excellent. Will be off there soon then. Fabulous.

I'm not in Germany but I noticed on the Corona map that they're infected too. If you hear anyone say Gazundheit, stay well clear!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, willem ii said:

All matches in province Noord Brabant in The Netherlands for professional football are canceled tHis weekend, including the home game of Willem II...

Do the Dutch have the Pfand system out of interest?

2 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Got me thinking what was that other drinks company that set up in the 70s, and their lorries used to go round the streets selling their stuff?

Not sure they lasted long, but they often had jobs going for young kids as drivers mates. This is (no joking) bugging me..

Help! Who were they or am i imagining this?

It was the Alpine Lorry. 
My dad used to drive one. Us kids would always nick a couple of bottles off the back of the lorry when he wasn’t looking. Not the dandelion & burdock though - horrible stuff that! 

When you made a new purchase you could return your empties and get money back. Great system. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, phantom said:

But surely this just proves the real possibility of catching the virus is next to none?

It has a higher transmission rate than the flu, so unless you've never had the flu, then you have a real possibility of being infected by covid-19. 

Fairly obvious that an event like Cheltenham where the bars resemble a cattle market are going to be hot-spots for viruses to be transmitted (not just covid-19). 

• Like 1

I think most of us will get it, but the key thing is for 80% of people, its only a mild illness. And around 3% of people die - mostly people with underlying illnesses

Certainly no need for this hysteria.

Edit:  to people disliking this comment, these facts come from the World Health Organisation. Stop believing the hype!

Edited by Riaz
  • Like 7
  • Hmmm 1

• Admin
18 minutes ago, Riaz said:

I think most of us will get it, but the key thing is for 80% of people, its only a mild illness. And around 3% of people die - mostly people with underlying illnesses

Edit:  to people disliking this comment, these facts come from the World Health Organisation. Stop believing the hype!

Is it really as high as 80% and as high as 3%?

I would have expected both figures to be less, but then I guess WHO do look at worst case scenarios 

But @Riaz it must be true I've seen links on Facebook and in The Sun ??

• Admin
26 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

It has a higher transmission rate than the flu, so unless you've never had the flu, then you have a real possibility of being infected by covid-19. 

Fairly obvious that an event like Cheltenham where the bars resemble a cattle market are going to be hot-spots for viruses to be transmitted (not just covid-19). 

Exactly, so just going home with the squirts like every other year

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

It is worth bearing in mind the average person with it infects 2 or 3 people. That is worse than flu but still suggests most infections will come from close personal contact with friends, colleagues or family rather than one person at a public event passing it onto hundreds of people. That is not to play down a need for concern as an infection that doubles or triplicates will still quite quickly infect large numbers but it is unlikely any single person or event will create hundreds of cases all in one go. However two or three taking it home to new parts of the country would still be a problem.

14 minutes ago, Riaz said:

If the figure is correct that 60% of people would get it if no action was taken, it should be possible to get that number down with action. But, if even a third of us got it and 1% died, that would still be 230 000 additional deaths. There were 616 000 deaths in the UK in 2018 total so that is a lot of extra deaths. (If it was 3% and over 50% of the population were infected, we are talking over a million deaths. Much over 50% and 3% and you get more deaths from coronavirus than all other causes combined)

You are talking about massive, massive numbers of deaths whilst telling people they are overreacting.

And anyone minimalising this because it will mostly hit elderly and disabled people ignores how many people have got elderly or disabled people in their lives they care about. The fact it mostly hits certain population segments does not make it any way okay, nor reassure anyone except the most self interested of people.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, phantom said:

Is it really as high as 80% and as high as 3%?

I would have expected both figures to be less, but then I guess WHO do look at worst case scenarios 

But @Riaz it must be true I've seen links on Facebook and in The Sun ??

I've read "most of us" will get it but not really sure if that means anything over 50 percent. It's really really starting to get on my tits and i just wish it would **** off and we could all go on living our bleedin' lives properly.

Edited by AppyDAZE

Everyone keeps focussing on these 2 stats:

- 80% get it mildly
- 1-3% are killed by it... we don't really know yet. 

But a major concern is the people in the middle:

-15% get severe symptoms (some of whom may need to be hospitalised)
- 5% get critically ill and WILL need hospital (some of whom then die)

For many people this will be FAR worse than the flu and it's because of this group - the whole 20% who have severe symptoms or worse - that we're talking about social distancing etc. Only 10,000 people have got Covid-19 in Italy and the hospitals are already creaking - as you'd expect - 2,000 extra people in a relatively small area needing hospitalisation and respirators - no health service has that much spare capacity. Ours certainly doesn't.

We're not thinking about cancelling all major sporting events and closing schools just because of a few thousand or tens of thousands of extra deaths which from a whole population perspective isn't that serious (although for the people and families involved, it clearly is and it's flippant and calous to say otherwise). We're thinking of these uniquely serious steps because there's no way our infrastructre could cope if very large numbers of us got the disease at the same time - which is certainly possible without these steps. We MUST  delay how fast it travels through the population to improve our capacity to handle it as as a society.

The good news - and there is some! - is that the number of new cases has declined for two days in a row. Far, far too early to say this is a trend. But it's better than the alternatives.

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

The mortality rate in Italy is about 5% so nobody should play down the risks. Even if you don't care because you are young and fit, you don't want to be giving it to your older friends and relatives (or anyone else for that matter).

I agree fully with the last sentence however it is worth noting that Italy has the oldest population in Europe and the second oldest in the world. That mortality rate doesn’t represent the wider number 

Edited by Bouncearoundtheground
  • Like 2