IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

44 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

£money.....tourism down in quiet season in Oz....boost economy, etc etc.  

They would quarantine them first.

Supposedly this is one of a series of possible solutions, Dubai, Qatar, also possible..

Just reporting the story.

Not having a go at you mate just seems an unrealistic suggestion.

3 hours ago, Frenchay Red said:

Spoke to my son who lives in Perth this morning. He's sports mad and a City fan?.

He didn't say anything about Prem games being played there when we were talking about the season's outstanding games.

He did say Foxtel were reportedly in trouble because of no sports on TV.

Seems unlikely to me. Mandatory 14 days complete hotel quarantine for all those incoming to WA. So no training etc during those 14 days in isolation.

Spoke to my mate Bill in Perth today, he had heard about the possibility.......he said ‘Perth had empty hotels, no Covid and six suitable stadiums’

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-8281231/Australian-city-Perth-willing-host-remaining-Premier-League-games.html

33 minutes ago, Super said:

Yeah, I know....was just adding that I had no idea whether true / false, realistic / unrealistic.

It does seem to be gathering a bit more noise though.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Spoke to my mate Bill in Perth today, he had heard about the possibility.......he said ‘Perth had empty hotels, no Covid and six suitable stadiums’

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-8281231/Australian-city-Perth-willing-host-remaining-Premier-League-games.html

Ah, ok. Fair enough, I'll ask my son tomorrow if he has heard anything about it.

11 hours ago, The Humble Realist said:

Premier League: More clubs open to using neutral venues if relegation removed - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52517532

Is it April fools ?

Look forward to Lansdown announcing 

'We support neutral venues but only if automatic promotion extended down to 10th place '

That idea is a load of bollocks, the removal of relegation!

Incidentally, read stories today that there are six sides who have or are known to have problems with neutral venues- this is the bottom six.

All I can add on that, the PL majority voting regulations stipulate 14/20 needed to carry a motion, implement a rule/rule change.

If 14 do and 6 don't, they're in breach surely- 3 of them would go down certainly... could always send all six down and send the top six up if they don't like it. :whistle2:

If the threat of relegation is removed then it makes playing the final games of the season pointless. Personally I'm amazed there is even talk of playing these games but I suppose money and power talks.

There is no way now teams can be relegated.....the premier league efl etc would be sued and clubs argue the following things

1) cant relegate if all teams dont have level playing field....and this isnt possible if they play neutral grounds or season just stopped

2) potential to go bust due to loss of income + relegation costs

3) wider impact on community - redundencies

4) playing squad issues re June 30th contract expiring

The ONLY option, is to promote teams within automatic promotion positions and have largely leagues next season with higher relegation places at the end of 2021 season.....but again leagues would get sued by the likes of Fulham BCFC due to their opportunities for promotion being taken out of their hands.....it is a 38/46 game season after all...and again means that there is inconsistencies.....imagine if Fulham's last 10 games were against botton 10 sides....would be grossly unfair and, dare I say it, illegal?

Only outcome for me is to scrap the season....with I suppose the argument that those in CL placings get the roles next season.....however that is a contradiction of what I said earlier.

Scrap the season, it never happened, awful I know but I believe equality for ALL teams is THE most important thing for football.

The ONLY  thing I could suggest would be teams who are REASONABLY certain to get promoted or win trophies I.e Liverpool (cant think of anyone else) get award promotion/title.....but in old law terms must be within (or without) reasonable doubt.

And no this doesnt include Leeds.....because they bottle it every year anyway.

Edited by Lez
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Lez said:

If the threat of relegation is removed then it makes playing the final games of the season pointless. Personally I'm amazed there is even talk of playing these games but I suppose money and power talks.

There is no way now teams can be relegated.....the premier league efl etc would be sued and clubs argue the following things

1) cant relegate if all teams dont have level playing field....and this isnt possible if they play neutral grounds or season just stopped

The ONLY option, is to promote teams within automatic promotion positions and have largely leagues next season with higher relegation places at the end of 2021 season.....but again leagues would get sued by the likes of Fulham BCFC due to their opportunities for promotion being taken out of their hands.....it is a 38/46 game season after all...and again means that there is inconsistencies.....imagine if Fulham's last 10 games were against botton 10 sides....would be grossly unfair and, dare I say it, illegal?

Only outcome for me is to scrap the season....with I suppose the argument that those in CL placings get the roles next season.....however that is a contradiction of what I said earlier.

Scrap the season, it never happened, awful I know but I believe equality for ALL teams is THE most important thing for football.

The ONLY  thing I could suggest would be teams who are REASONABLY certain to get promoted or win trophies I.e Liverpool (cant think of anyone else) get award promotion/title.....but in old law terms must be within (or without) reasonable doubt.

Completely agree - I’ve been against the restart of the football season but once you remove the competitive nature of the games (which you will do, let’s face it Liverpool have won the league and ran away relegation what’s the point) - the games will be played in neutral venues with no fans. There is now no reason to restart the games - why is the premier league more important than the championship , league 1 or 2. These clubs have been claiming poverty but wait till the summer when they start spending ridiculous money on wages and transfer fees - the only reason why they want the season to restart 

2 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

I was thinking this morning: imagine if we'd actually got Nketiah after all that January speculation, and then the pandemic had hit :laugh:

Every cloud and all that. Combine it with more time for Benik to get fit it doesn`t seem to have cost us too much. Assuming we`d have got him mid January we`d have got something like eight league games out of him?

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Every cloud and all that. Combine it with more time for Benik to get fit it doesn`t seem to have cost us too much. Assuming we`d have got him mid January we`d have got something like eight league games out of him?

If, but, maybe. Perhaps in those games he’d have scored 4 goals and we’d be in the top six. And then IF the season is decided on points per game we’d be in the playoffs. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lez said:

This will be the stitch up though. It would still only be 3 down for the next few years and only 2 up to get it back to 20 teams in the PL.

there is clearly a massive agenda now in the prem. self interest and greed meaning it’s all about no relegation. Only reason to resume play will be to bank the tv money.

Hilarious comments from the Brighton chairman re: neutral venues affecting the integrity of the league.... obviously doing away with relegation wouldn’t do that then?integrity..?? not to mention the pending arrival of the Saudis ?

• Like 3

19 hours ago, BCFC Grim said:

Exactly how I feel. 

I watched a short report on how the pandemic had hit Italy from start till now and I  dont mind saying I was struggling not to shed a tear. 

Seriously how the **** is football remotely important right now??? 

Purely for money, I’ve said it from the start it’s not to get the lads back in employment is it. 

No one has come out and said yet “yes we really need to get the players back in action so they can start working again”

1 hour ago, S25loyal said:

Purely for money, I’ve said it from the start it’s not to get the lads back in employment is it. 

No one has come out and said yet “yes we really need to get the players back in action so they can start working again”

If they actively refuse to play, can they be held in breach of contract?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

On ‎03‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 10:09, daored said:

There was an article in the paper yesterday saying Bristol was considered but the pitches are too small ?

All pitches have to conform to a certain size there is a minimum and maximum I'm pretty sure therefore that ours would meet all criteria.

17 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That idea is a load of bollocks, the removal of relegation!

Incidentally, read stories today that there are six sides who have or are known to have problems with neutral venues- this is the bottom six.

All I can add on that, the PL majority voting regulations stipulate 14/20 needed to carry a motion, implement a rule/rule change.

If 14 do and 6 don't, they're in breach surely- 3 of them would go down certainly... could always send all six down and send the top six up if they don't like it. :whistle2:

Bottom 7 and top 7 ?

• Like 1

• Admin
24 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

What a bloody daft thing to do. Let's travel round the world in 20 cigar tubes to play a bunch of pointless football games. If we don't infect the Aussies we'll have a go at passing infection at the stop off point. 

The guy behind this proposal was on Talksport earlier, what he said made sense and was workable EXCEPT it is in AUSTRALIA !!

The lockdown restrictions are way ahead down there and many leagues are aiming to start returning in the next few weeks

8 minutes ago, phantom said:

The guy behind this proposal was on Talksport earlier, what he said made sense and was workable EXCEPT it is in AUSTRALIA !!

The lockdown restrictions are way ahead down there and many leagues are aiming to start returning in the next few weeks

So why would they want to risk a second wave of infections possibly passed by several hundred people from the third most infectious country on the planet. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

So why would they want to risk a second wave of infections possibly passed by several hundred people from the third most infectious country on the planet. 

You quarantine them for 2 weeks upon arrival, and test them.

9 hours ago, milo1111 said:

This will be the stitch up though. It would still only be 3 down for the next few years and only 2 up to get it back to 20 teams in the PL.

there is clearly a massive agenda now in the prem. self interest and greed meaning it’s all about no relegation. Only reason to resume play will be to bank the tv money.

Hilarious comments from the Brighton chairman re: neutral venues affecting the integrity of the league.... obviously doing away with relegation wouldn’t do that then?integrity..?? not to mention the pending arrival of the Saudis ?

If the premier league allow the Saudis to be involved in premier league football it will genuinly question my desire for BCFC to be associated with that league.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

You quarantine them for 2 weeks upon arrival, and test them.

This is exactly what the Aussies are doing with the New Zealand teams that play in the Australian A league, and the NRL ( rugby league).

Both these squads, Wellington Phoenix football, and the NZ Warriors rugby league, will then stay in Australia for the entire duration of the season, and will not be able to play any home games back in NZ, even though NZ is free of Coronavirus now. 

Edited by Portland Bill

On 04/05/2020 at 02:31, Super said:

Perth is very safe at the moment with no cases 4 days straight. Even the total deaths across the country is only 90. OK 90 is still too many but in comparison to other countries its very low. Perth has some great stadiums like Davefes mentions. However the AFL and NRL are not far away playing again and in fact both these codes are all ready back in training all be it in isolated and controlled areas.

leeds united and Man united played at Optus stadium last year and were sold out. Liverpool the year before played at the MCG in Melbourne in front of 90,000.00.

There is no tourism so hence any football code would be welcome by all states and territories. Even if the Prem teams did play in Perth it would most probably be behind closed doors and even if some of the stadiums were to open and let limited numbers in the travel restrictions in place are very strict and you require a pass called a G2G which has your home address / quarantine address and the app which has to be scanned at the check points only approves you to drive in to or drive through an approved region so even if they did play who’s going to be able to watch them any way.

• Thanks 2

Complexities for the EFL and all games on iFollow- possibly.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8286383/EFL-bid-rewrite-deal-Sky-Sports-order-broadcast-league-matches-live-iFollow.html

I know some on here don't like Daily Mail articles and I've certainly no love of their politics- but it IS good for Football League related news and Matt Hughes, good journo.

Slightly old news but surprise, surprise...

Adrian Bevington eh. A quick Google search confirms he's ex Aston Villa or at least was there in an advisory role in 2016- Grr!! That said he's from Middlesbrough, could just be bad journalism.

How I dislike that club...

Edited by Mr Popodopolous