IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

4 hours ago, daored said:

It’s not been reported it was him , been told by a Man Utd season ticket holder - the player hasn’t been named by the press

So you don't know. People probably putting 2 and 2 and getting 5 with Pogba. 

1 minute ago, OldlandReddies said:

Why the surprised face? You did mean November yeah? If we still have social distancing then like it is now then we are all doomed!

He’s talking tens of thousands in attendance, standing shoulder to shoulder and no need for face masks etc, we won’t have fans back in stadiums for football at the same amounts until there’s a vaccine.... if there is one

6 hours ago, bengalcub said:

Like i said in the real world the large majority are pawns in big corporations and have to toe the line or face the consequences  your an extremely lucky person to work for what sounds like a fantastic employer , i disagree with your nhs statement as with my experience of nhs staff they want the correct ppe to protect their patients ,themselves and their colleagues ive not heard one say "we want to be paid more" . 

Or even pawns in small, middling companies. Pawns may not be the right word in all cases but as you say toeing the line is required.

Without going into detail on a public forum, size of a company is no barrier to questionable or legally right but ethically debatable practices. 

Toe the line or face the consequences sounds about right. Footballers contracts appear to be uniquely weighted towards the employee, and in this country even more so.

They appear to want it all ways as well. Did they want to do their bit for the clubs who had zero income streams and uncertainty about rebates? Pretty slow and by no means universal!! 

Now they're moaning about playing despite getting deferrals- deferrals not cuts- of say 30% of very good wages. Deferrals they'll surely get back.

Wages aside, they'll be amongst the best protected, insulated of workers from the virus.

Once the Government say it's fairly safe to do so, I have a simple message.

Get on with it!!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, hodge said:

He’s talking tens of thousands in attendance, standing shoulder to shoulder and no need for face masks etc, we won’t have fans back in stadiums for football at the same amounts until there’s a vaccine.... if there is one

We will be back in grounds by October at the latest, September even, if the rate of infection continues to drop as it is, vaccine or no vaccine. It will be virtually non existent by then.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 2
  • Hmmm 1

9 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

We will be back in grounds by October at the latest, September even, if the rate of infection continues to drop as it is, vaccine or no vaccine. It will be virtually non existent by then.

We really won’t.  I’ll happily have a £50 wager with you with the winnings going to a charity of the winners choice that we are not back watching football at AG by the end of October. Will be incredibly happy to lose the bet but no chance!  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

Me thinks you are in for a shock.

Championship clubs will begin testing their players for coronavirus on Thursday and Friday ahead of a potential return to training next Monday.

Although recent advice recommended players are tested once a week, it is thought Championship clubs will follow the Premier League's decision to test their players twice a week.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Super said:

Me thinks you are in for a shock.

October date formed part of Boris's 50 page plan of getting back to normal and Lansdown stated that fans could be back in the Autumn. Numbers if virus infections have reduced dramatically in the last week as well as deaths and hospitals are surprised how quickly numbers on wards are reducing so it does look as though things are improving at a faster rate than those two aforementioned thought. Long may it continue. 

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

9 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

October date formed part of Boris's 50 page plan of getting back to normal and Lansdown stated that fans could be back in the Autumn. Numbers if virus infections have reduced dramatically in the last week as well as deaths and hospitals are surprised how quickly numbers on wards are reducing so it does look as though things are improving at a faster rate than those two aforementioned thought. Long may it continue. 

Would be great if you are right but there will be a second wave.

• Thanks 1

On 17/05/2020 at 17:12, Mr Popodopolous said:

**** off Rooney- many are working much less lower paid, greater risk.

Your moaning is neither helpful nor desirable- if you don't wish to play, fine but you forego pay. Not as bad as his article the other month but still..

Interestingly, I watched some Bundesliga yesterday- some parts of games anyway, dipping in and out and I didn't see a single tackle- dunno if that's due to this, I'm sure there were tackles but it'd be interesting to see data of tackles in games pre lockdown and post.

To qualify my comment, stuff he writes about football, insight- that's all an excellent read, and certainly this week (not read much of his other columns) but his moaning about restart or expectation for players to take a bit of a hit- mind you Derby got there in the end- does grate.

Why does earning a lot of money suddenly mean it’s ok to be put at risk? Utter nonsense. He makes a valid point and so do the other players, why should they and their families be put at risk just for entertainment?

Lets get all the film and tv productions back on to?

On 17/05/2020 at 17:22, bengalcub said:

Bless wayne rooney , if he seriously thinks that the frontline workers have been allowed to do their jobs with 2mtr distancing in place hes even thicker than i first thought.

Clearly he meant the people going back in the second phase last week

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

35 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Why does earning a lot of money suddenly mean it’s ok to be put at risk? Utter nonsense. He makes a valid point and so do the other players, why should they and their families be put at risk just for entertainment?

Lets get all the film and tv productions back on to?

I'm just sick of players moaning and Rooney perhaps bore the brunt. If I work in a shop, a 111 Callcentre, another NHS Callcentre, or perhaps the testing and tracing thing, I am at risk, I have little choice!

Same goes for anyone else going back to work. Warehouses if open again, mail sorting office.

Good enough for the Bundesliga, schools expected to return in phased stages. I think no play, no pay...? I'm not sure, but players in the UK need a sharp dose of reality, especially in the PL, and to an extent the Championship. Below, not so much.

Yeah, why not. I believe the risk is different in that sector though. Read today (maybe on here) that Championship players will be tested twice a week, I doubt 

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm just sick of players moaning and Rooney perhaps bore the brunt. If I work in a shop, a 111 Callcentre, another NHS Callcentre, or perhaps the testing and tracing thing, I am at risk, I have little choice!

Same goes for anyone else going back to work. Warehouses if open again, mail sorting office.

Good enough for the Bundesliga, schools expected to return in phased stages. I think no play, no pay...? I'm not sure, but players in the UK need a sharp dose of reality, especially in the PL, and to an extent the Championship. Below, not so much.

Yeah, why not. I believe the risk is different in that sector though. Read today (maybe on here) that Championship players will be tested twice a week, I doubt 

warehouses and sorting offices will have social distancing in place, and are more of a necessity to the country than football

There’s a difference between “a dose of reality” and exposure to risk for no real purpose other than money at the very top.

Admittedly if we’re talking in July when we’re on the next phase then there may be an argument for football continuing but not while most workplaces aren’t open.

agree to disagree though, both entitled to opinions

59 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

warehouses and sorting offices will have social distancing in place, and are more of a necessity to the country than football

There’s a difference between “a dose of reality” and exposure to risk for no real purpose other than money at the very top.

Admittedly if we’re talking in July when we’re on the next phase then there may be an argument for football continuing but not while most workplaces aren’t open.

agree to disagree though, both entitled to opinions

The Bundesliga infection rate or positive tests, will be quite interesting, quite instructive over the next few weeks.

I'm unconvinced that football will be notably less safe than those examples. These staff are indoors and it'd surprise me given how it can circulate indoors if it's less safe than a fairly open air football stadium. 

I think the risk for footballers is quite a bit less.

Never ceases to amaze me the number of apologists on here.

Agree to disagree though, both entitled to opinion.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Aren't Bundesliga teams confined to hotels? Tammy Abraham for example is concerned because a family member he lives with (think its his dad) has asthma so is concerned about catching it and taking it home.

4 hours ago, OldlandReddies said:

I'd imagine it'll come back on a yearly basis to some extent but nothing like the original wave and nothing that we couldn't cope with going forward. 

Second and third waves of Spanish Flu were more deadly than the first, if I remember correctly.  Hopefully we will be quick to react if a second wave does strike in the autumn though.  Hopeful there may be a vaccine next year and possibly some existing medications may be found to help anyone unfortunate enough to catch it.

Thanks very much China.

2 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Second and third waves of Spanish Flu were more deadly than the first, if I remember correctly.  Hopefully we will be quick to react if a second wave does strike in the autumn though.  Hopeful there may be a vaccine next year and possibly some existing medications may be found to help anyone unfortunate enough to catch it.

Thanks very much China.

Whilst there will undoubtedly be a second wave in October as the virus is obviosuly seasonal the Spanish flu second and third waves followed a tiny blip of a first wave because it started in June and then was crushed by summer.

This happens to most viruses in temperate climates like the UK.  Nobody has been able to prove exactly why though attempts have of course been made looking at humidity, heat and UV.

We are in the big wave and, if you look at the last week's stats, rapidly coming out of it as we head to June.

Come October there will be a second wave but it will be less than we have seen and a lot of people will have already had it and so be fully or mostly immune meaning that the "R" factor will be much lower than at the start of the current wave.

I however seriosuly doubt that there will be an effective vaccine in the next couple of years and no strategy should therefore be contingent upon this being developed.

Spanish flu deaths per 1,000 persons UK 1918/19.

graph.jpg