IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

My worry would be we get a double-whammy of flu and covid-19 this winter. 

Given that  winter 17-18 excess deaths from flu were 50,000, which is similar to what we might end up with from this first wave, it could be double what we've seen so far over a similar period. 

Hence I think the so far under-utilised nightingale hospitals will be kept ready for the winter, just in case. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

My worry would be we get a double-whammy of flu and covid-19 this winter. 

Given that  winter 17-18 excess deaths from flu were 50,000, which is similar to what we might end up with from this first wave, it could be double what we've seen so far over a similar period. 

Hence I think the so far under-utilised nightingale hospitals will be kept ready for the winter, just in case. 

You're absolutely right about the 17/18 flu deaths but the key similarity of the flu and the coronavirus is that they generally kill people who are already very frail or ill and in particular with breathing difficulties.

You may only live twice; but you don't die twice.

9 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

You're absolutely right about the 17/18 flu deaths but the key similarity of the flu and the coronavirus is that they generally kill people who are already very frail or ill and in particular with breathing difficulties.

You may only live twice; but you don't die twice.

My dad is 84 and has COPD and other risk factors and thankfully is fine. Covid19 has only taken out a small proportion of that part of the population so far. 

The fact there are two different infections will double the chances that he might get one or other of them this winter. So it is quite possible that there will be a surge in deaths from both flu and covid19 at the same time. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MarcusX said:

warehouses and sorting offices will have social distancing in place, and are more of a necessity to the country than football

There’s a difference between “a dose of reality” and exposure to risk for no real purpose other than money at the very top.

Admittedly if we’re talking in July when we’re on the next phase then there may be an argument for football continuing but not while most workplaces aren’t open.

agree to disagree though, both entitled to opinions

I work in a factory and theirs no social distancing and im not alone , if they were to implement that properly then their profits would be hit also no tests unlike footballers , they have a contract as do  i we either honour said contract or seek employmemt elsewhere 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I still think there is one major problem with ‘project restart’ - I think the physical training let alone playing matches isn’t favoured by all with the guidance they’ve been given. More & more players are now starting to speak out about it. 

19 hours ago, Selred said:

So you don't know. People probably putting 2 and 2 and getting 5 with Pogba. 

No I don’t know , the name was given to me by a season ticket holder whose daughter works at Old Trafford, but I appreciate it’s a gossip. 

The original comment was in relation to players having to take more responsibility for their actions. IF and I still believe it’s a big IF the leagues resume the players are going to have to curb their behaviour for every story of a Kyle Walker , Hudson-Odoi or Grealish it gives more concern to the likes of players such as Tammy or Deeney who have legitimate concern about family members.

On a side note doesn’t Deeney speak well , futures career with the PFA?

There is a level of hypocrisy from footballers wanting to be paid in full but not go back to playing, as stated quite clearly by Simon Jordan on Newsnight last night. The risk is if they want pay but don’t play, football clubs go bust and they are left far more out of pocket. TV companies are going to pull their contracts and funding if there is no product. Biting the hand that feeds you comes to mind...

The reality is that very few people of active professional playing age are becoming unwell with this virus. Is anyone aware of a  current player anywhere being hospitalised? Are black players at more risk? Maybe but the risk is very small anyway for young adults. The biggest risk is to the other staff (coaches etc) who are older and more likely to become seriously unwell, or to older members of players’ families. Well the answer to that one is to isolate the players from their families for a short period of a few weeks and appropriate levels of testing.

At some point, we are all going to be taking a level of risk with contracting Covid-19. Many of us are already having to work in various jobs, with differing levels of risk and protection, and can’t say “pay us in full but we don’t want to come back to work”.  Footballers will also have to accept that their old life isn’t possible at least for the next few months and they will have to find a different way. If they don’t, then they can’t expect the same exceedingly large rewards etc. 

P.S. The longer we go without football, the more irrelevant it will seem to larger swathes of the population. Once you lose the love, it’s very hard to get it back....

• Like 5
  • Flames 3

1 hour ago, Dr Balls said:

There is a level of hypocrisy from footballers wanting to be paid in full but not go back to playing, as stated quite clearly by Simon Jordan on Newsnight last night. The risk is if they want pay but don’t play, football clubs go bust and they are left far more out of pocket. TV companies are going to pull their contracts and funding if there is no product. Biting the hand that feeds you comes to mind...

The reality is that very few people of active professional playing age are becoming unwell with this virus. Is anyone aware of a  current player anywhere being hospitalised? Are black players at more risk? Maybe but the risk is very small anyway for young adults. The biggest risk is to the other staff (coaches etc) who are older and more likely to become seriously unwell, or to older members of players’ families. Well the answer to that one is to isolate the players from their families for a short period of a few weeks and appropriate levels of testing.

At some point, we are all going to be taking a level of risk with contracting Covid-19. Many of us are already having to work in various jobs, with differing levels of risk and protection, and can’t say “pay us in full but we don’t want to come back to work”.  Footballers will also have to accept that their old life isn’t possible at least for the next few months and they will have to find a different way. If they don’t, then they can’t expect the same exceedingly large rewards etc. 

P.S. The longer we go without football, the more irrelevant it will seem to larger swathes of the population. Once you lose the love, it’s very hard to get it back....

Well said. Did Rooney, or Sterling, or Rose say that they'd be willing to sacrifice their pay during any extended postponement? When they say that the health of their family is their top priority, should that be caveated with (so long as I get paid).

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, Dr Balls said:

Yep.  Clubs should put in place all risk mitigation measures, as would any other business, and tell players to get on with it.  If they don't want to come back they should consider themselves in breach of contract.  Or take the high road and resign saying they won't play until a vaccine is found.  Getting sick of football and footballers to be perfectly honest. 

59 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

I see Hull are kicking up a fuss about resuming.

Same as with the Premier League, I’m sure it’s just a coincidence that the great humanitarians are also the ones who are battling against relegation. 

I'm surprised to see Hull go for null and void though, makes it quite obvious what they're about, I'd have thought (publicly at least) they'd have supported finishing via ppg as its more likely to get support from other clubs

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hodge said:

I'm surprised to see Hull go for null and void though, makes it quite obvious what they're about, I'd have thought (publicly at least) they'd have supported finishing via ppg as its more likely to get support from other clubs

They’d possibly have got more support from other clubs if they hadn’t gone for all out, null and void. 
Fortunately, they won’t get too far with their actions. 

5 hours ago, bengalcub said:

I work in a factory and theirs no social distancing and im not alone , if they were to implement that properly then their profits would be hit also no tests unlike footballers , they have a contract as do  i we either honour said contract or seek employmemt elsewhere 

Proves my point in spades!! 

Wow, not even social distancing? Thought there might have been some of that. No testing, would've expected that.

Yet we're to believe that footballers at more risk, tested twice weekly, special measures in training, on a matchday in open air- or at least moreso than a football ground than what presumably isn't an open air factory.

• Like 2

Interesting financial point for null/voiding a season and transfers, how many payments would have to be reversed by clubs because appearances/goals no longer had taken place? X amount of money after a certain amount of appearances or goals, how many smaller clubs may have to pay back sums to bigger clubs because those appearances had no longer taken place....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Betty Swallocks said:

I see Hull are kicking up a fuss about resuming.

Same as with the Premier League, I’m sure it’s just a coincidence that the great humanitarians are also the ones who are battling against relegation. 

Read last week that 5 Championship clubs are or were vehemently against restart...3 from Yorkshire. 

One down, 4- or two on a regional level- to go I guess.

22 hours ago, Super said:

Would be great if you are right but there will be a second wave.

And you know that how? there may be a slight rise at first as there is more social contact but as far as a second wave is concerned you like everyone else is merely guessing.

17 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

That`s easier said than done though. Some are at venues which would be looking to return to some sort of `normal` - The Millennium Stadium & The O2 for instance

1 hour ago, pillred said:

And you know that how? there may be a slight rise at first as there is more social contact but as far as a second wave is concerned you like everyone else is merely guessing.

I agree. There’s yet to be sizeable ‘second waves’ in any of the countries relaxing lockdown. 

On a different not, 6 of 748 premier league players have tested positive. Two and a half weeks ago 12 bundesliga players tested positive. That’s a good sign I think. 

• Like 2

• Admin
22 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

That`s easier said than done though. Some are at venues which would be looking to return to some sort of `normal` - The Millennium Stadium & The O2 for instance

Not correct, they are staying as standby faciiities should the need be required

Remember if they are to be used as their original use, it will mean that the R level etc is so low that crowds are back amongst each other again

I didn't know this before and these are two very key points going forward

THE TESTING EQUIPMENT BEING USED BY THE EPL AND EFL IS NOT THE SAME AS USED WITHIN THE NHS SO WILL HAVE NO IMPACT ON THEIR TESTING

ALL FOOTBALL STAFF WILL BE TESTED TWICE A WEEK

• Admin
4 minutes ago, James54De said:

I agree. There’s yet to be sizeable ‘second waves’ in any of the countries relaxing lockdown. 

On a different not, 6 of 748 premier league players have tested positive. Two and a half weeks ago 12 bundesliga players tested positive. That’s a good sign I think. 

INCORRECT @James54De  the 748 tested were all staff not just players and they are from THREE clubs

These tests were covering all those that will be in and around the squad

25 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Well they’ll move them. Nightingale not at the O2 anyway. I seriously doubt huge international conferences will be a thing for a while, so the ExCel centre won’t be needed. It would be silly to get rid of the Nightingales too quickly.  
They might even get rid of a few and keep sizeable regional Nightingales, with immediate capability of converting more if needed. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lenred said:

Six players tested positive already in the Prem. Not a great start but not massively surprising. Will certainly give ammunition to those not wishing to proceed so soon though.  

Is that testing everyone though? I don't think it's that bad considering that's about 700 players?

• Admin
3 minutes ago, lenred said:

Six players tested positive already in the Prem. Not a great start but not massively surprising. Will certainly give ammunition to those not wishing to proceed so soon though.  

WRONG @lenred it wasn't just players tested

As above these were from only THREE clubs - there tests ARE A VERY good start

1 minute ago, James54De said:

Okay you pedant. Your point is ******* irrelevant. Still stands that of 748 tested, only 6 came back positive. 

Well get simple facts right then !!