IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

2 minutes ago, hodge said:

Think they tested today so will be revealed amongst the second set of results this week

Watford have 3 confirmed cases, seems Deeney had a point when not wanting to return

has Deeney been in contact with the three cases? not if he has truly been social distancing? if he has a household member even slightly at risk then he is taking the right stance.

I don't know the true answer do you ?

1 minute ago, reddoh said:

has Deeney been in contact with the three cases? not if he has truly been social distancing? if he has a household member even slightly at risk then he is taking the right stance.

Probably hasn't been, but all it takes is one mistake at work

His baby has breathing difficulties

1 minute ago, hodge said:

Probably hasn't been, but all it takes is one mistake at work

His baby has breathing difficulties

then he should stay at home and not put his baby at risk and the press should make it a non story.

3 minutes ago, reddoh said:

Every player will be expected to return to training but I dont expect the club's will force them to return. That said, 6 confirmed cases has to be better than anyone could have expected from the number of clubs tested. It'll surely give players and staff confidence that there is a way forward and that they can push on from this point.

4 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

Every player will be expected to return to training but I dont expect the club's will force them to return. That said, 6 confirmed cases has to be better than anyone could have expected from the number of clubs tested. It'll surely give players and staff confidence that there is a way forward and that they can push on from this point.

from the bbc

'Clubs were permitted to test up to 40 personnel and some did not use their full allocation, while some samples are still to be processed.'

not really testing is it.

Just to point out to posters @phantom @James54De

from the bbc

There were six positive tests across three Premier League clubs on Sunday and Monday, as the English top flight prepares to resume in June.

A total of 748 players and staff from 19 clubs were tested. Norwich City did their tests on Tuesday so will be included in Saturday's results.

so 3 premier clubs tested Sunday and Monday six positive Phantom wins.

748 players and staff were tested (no date mentioned but I would guess after Monday) so I guess James54De gets a late equalizer

overall winner using the Lewis/Duckworth method Noone.  

• Like 1

So it seems like mid June is the target for the Championship to resume. Not sure myself given that Burnley & Watford in the PL have a few who have just tested positive for Covid19. How do you finish the season otherwise in a way that is fair to all ?  What price  to you put on a footballer's health / life and that of his family ?

Got me stumped TBH.

Edited by BigTone

37 minutes ago, BigTone said:

So it seems like mid June is the target for the Championship to resume. Not sure myself given that Burnley & Watford in the PL have a few who have just tested positive for Covid19. How do you finish the season otherwise in a way that is fair to all ?  What price  to you put on a footballer's health / life and that of his family ?

Got me stumped TBH.

I agree and think the season should be scrapped but in response to your point re Burnley / Watford my understanding is that everyone was being tested in the PL before anybody attended training and whilst it must be scary for the individuals and their families they won't have spread it within their squads. The fact that each team isn't going into a quarantine period to finish the season though will surely mean that at some point a player or staff member will test positive and by then it will have been too late.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

I agree and think the season should be scrapped but in response to your point re Burnley / Watford my understanding is that everyone was being tested in the PL before anybody attended training and whilst it must be scary for the individuals and their families they won't have spread it within their squads. The fact that each team isn't going into a quarantine period to finish the season though will surely mean that at some point a player or staff member will test positive and by then it will have been too late.

There will always be some squads with positive results to tests. Everyone will have to suck it up and get on with it. Maybe have a rule where a game gets postponed if more than five cases in one squad.

Simply cannot scrap the season. If we do and start a new one do we then cancel that if there is a second wave?  Like any business, football clubs cannot go through a sustained period of inactivity.  Carrying on the season is the least worst option. Testing seems readily available now.  Should be looking to get it back in one month and then finishing season by end August latest, allowing for some postponements.  Next season to start pretty quickly after that. No need for long break as players are having one now. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

I don't get why people want this season scrapped. A lot of people saying this will come back so will we have another unfinished season?. Just finish this one when it's safe to do so?

Edited by Super

1 minute ago, Super said:

I don't get why people want this season scrapped. A lot of people saying this will come back so will we have another unfinished season?. Just finish this one when it's safe to do so?

I don’t get it.  Still waiting for a strong argument for scrapping it. Every argument so far can be easily dismissed.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

Personally I think the season should be voided -no promotion or relegation.

However, this may be a bit unfair on Leeds so I would like to see Ted Rodgers come back and show them what they could have won- you know - pictures of travelling to Arsenal, Liverpool etc along with untold riches and then present Bielsa with Dusty Bin. It was an extremely popular method of settling a competition funnily enough on TV the last time Leeds were in top flight.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

As previously stated above, restart the current season when it is safe to do so.

Unfortunately this runs into problems with player contracts and the longer it goes on it risks throwing next season into chaos with a knock on-effect on European Championships the following summer. If they canned this season now the authorities could then focus all  their efforts into making sure next season can start on time when we should be further down the line in terms of knowledge, wider testing and tracing should be available and maybe less restrictions. The number of players willing to return would be lower by this pont too which adds a bit more sporting integrity to proceedings.

As Troy Deeney said th eother day he can't get a haircut until mid July but they are asking his t go into a penalty box with 20 other players.

Edited by Dolman_Stand

22 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I don’t get it.  Still waiting for a strong argument for scrapping it. Every argument so far can be easily dismissed.

You need to listen to Denney talk , an ill son who clearly is at risk if he brings the virus home. Tammy talking about his father - these are legitimate concerns. Whilst the training grounds will be clean and probably safer than anywhere else right now - you still have players who are not obeying the rules.

What happens if a players is tested positive a week after a game ? Are all his teammates and the opposition expected to self isolate for 14 days - how do you then play the following week?

You want a reason - 545 died yesterday because of this virus, testing in this country is a joke and let the football ‘world’ can take up testing kits and get results within 48 hours several times a week. Whilst I appreciate the clubs have paid for these and are not taking away from front line workers , if you have 50,000 tests available and testing resource give to the government - lets get our NHS staff , care workers , shop workers , binmen, school teachers then if you have more available the general public - test, trace and contain we’ll beat the virus - the more we test the quicker businesses can reopen , get the economy moving - a deep, deep recession awaits us- which we’ll be paying for years. But hey 22 blokes kicking a football is more important than all that 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Finish this season first then work out how to run next season, even with a reduced fixture list of only playing each team once if necessary. There is an issue of risk v safety in re-opening, but for the integrity of the sport, given that it’s unpredictable, this season needs to finish by completing the games at some point. 

Testing regularly is paramount, especially as players are more likely to be asymptomatic being young adults. What I don’t understand is why clubs aren’t being required to quarantine their playing and coaching staff together for the period that the season is being finished. That’s got the greatest chance of being safe for players. And if players refuse to sign up to that option then comes the question of being in breech of contract. In the past, players refusing to play have been docked wages, so there is a precedent, although I accept that the circumstances are different.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Finish this season first then work out how to run next season, even with a reduced fixture list of only playing each team once if necessary. There is an issue of risk v safety in re-opening, but for the integrity of the sport, given that it’s unpredictable, this season needs to finish by completing the games at some point. 

Testing regularly is paramount, especially as players are more likely to be asymptomatic being young adults. What I don’t understand is why clubs aren’t being required to quarantine their playing and coaching staff together for the period that the season is being finished. That’s got the greatest chance of being safe for players. And if players refuse to sign up to that option then comes the question of being in breech of contract. In the past, players refusing to play have been docked wages, so there is a precedent, although I accept that the circumstances are different.

I agree it would be safer if the games were played at neutral venues and players were forced to stay together in hotels - but then you’ve got increased testing of staff at hotels etc

Tony Bellew & Caragraher make about fans getting together outside Anfield etc when Liverpool eventually win the league title - 

4 minutes ago, daored said:

You need to listen to Denney talk , an ill son who clearly is at risk if he brings the virus home. Tammy talking about his father - these are legitimate concerns. Whilst the training grounds will be clean and probably safer than anywhere else right now - you still have players who are not obeying the rules.

What happens if a players is tested positive a week after a game ? Are all his teammates and the opposition expected to self isolate for 14 days - how do you then play the following week?

You want a reason - 545 died yesterday because of this virus, testing in this country is a joke and let the football ‘world’ can take up testing kits and get results within 48 hours several times a week. Whilst I appreciate the clubs have paid for these and are not taking away from front line workers , if you have 50,000 tests available and testing resource give to the government - lets get our NHS staff , care workers , shop workers , binmen, school teachers then if you have more available the general public - test, trace and contain we’ll beat the virus - the more we test the quicker businesses can reopen , get the economy moving - a deep, deep recession awaits us- which we’ll be paying for years. But hey 22 blokes kicking a football is more important than all that 

I don’t disagree that getting the rest of this country sorted is a priority, but football is also a business and somehow it needs to restart safely. But that doesn’t necessarily mean waiting until there are no cases in this country (not likely to happen any time soon if ever - we missed that opportunity in late February) or a vaccine that may or may not be effective.

There is also a lot of fear and misinformation about the virus and it’s effects. It can be a serious and potentially lethal disease, but that is mainly for the elderly and those with underlying health issues. That’s not to minimise but it is to point out that young fit adults such as footballers are an extremely low risk group for being unwell if infected. That’s not to say they don’t have family members who might be at risk but that’s why there should be appropriate quarantining, just as many key workers paid a fraction per year of what some players are paid per week are having to do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, daored said:

I agree it would be safer if the games were played at neutral venues and players were forced to stay together in hotels - but then you’ve got increased testing of staff at hotels etc

Tony Bellew & Caragraher make about fans getting together outside Anfield etc when Liverpool eventually win the league title

You just need to put some police at anfield, everyone wouldn’t turn up at the same time (if people did turn up) so easier to turn them away. Also now people are allowed to be in parks etc while SDing there’s less need for police to be going about monitoring the public in those situations 

7 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

I don’t disagree that getting the rest of this country sorted is a priority, but football is also a business and somehow it needs to restart safely. But that doesn’t necessarily mean waiting until there are no cases in this country (not likely to happen any time soon if ever - we missed that opportunity in late February) or a vaccine that may or may not be effective.

There is also a lot of fear and misinformation about the virus and it’s effects. It can be a serious and potentially lethal disease, but that is mainly for the elderly and those with underlying health issues. That’s not to minimise but it is to point out that young fit adults such as footballers are an extremely low risk group for being unwell if infected. That’s not to say they don’t have family members who might be at risk but that’s why there should be appropriate quarantining, just as many key workers paid a fraction per year of what some players are paid per week are having to do.

My main point is if they’re able to source these tests and labs - I believe it would be beneficial if these were offered to key workers then the general public. Whilst I accept football is a business and needs to get back into motion I also believe we need to get our economy moving through opening more businesses and returning to normal life - in principle we have to start the economy back up. Football is a big money earner for the government in normal circumstances, fans travelling , spending money in pubs either watching a game or before heading to the ground etc plus other expenditure attending a game (we all know it isn’t cheap!) but with pubs closed and games behind closed doors - how much revenue does it now generate ?

Edited by daored

59 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Personally I think the season should be voided -no promotion or relegation.

However, this may be a bit unfair on Leeds so I would like to see Ted Rodgers come back and show them what they could have won- you know - pictures of travelling to Arsenal, Liverpool etc along with untold riches and then present Bielsa with Dusty Bin. It was an extremely popular method of settling a competition funnily enough on TV the last time Leeds were in top flight.

Or Jim Bowen

• Like 1

1 minute ago, daored said:

My main point is if they’re able to source three tests and labs - I believe it would be beneficial if these were offered to key workers then the general public. Whilst I accept football is a business and needs to get back into motion I also believe we need to get our economy moving through opening more businesses and returning to normal life - in principle we have to start the economy back up. 

I don’t disagree but some of the advice has been less than helpful for that. Requiring people to wear masks in enclosed spaces would be a good start. The point is it’s a selfless thing to do to stop you spreading to others rather than protecting yourself. That then feeds into distancing. Why are we having to distance 2 metres compared to 1.5 metres in Germany and France or just 1 metre with masks in South Korea?

The reality is that although many of the population have tried to do their bit to stop the spread, some have railed against any infringements in their daily lives, either due to political views or because they just don’t care about anyone else. And do I worry that some will be unable to contain themselves and not gather at grounds if their team wins something? Yes, whether it’s Scousers for the Premier League or if we win the playoffs, there is still a risk.