Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport


Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, hodge said:

He's only allowed to put so much into the club per season to write off losses though and by the sounds of it already does the max, will probably come down to how close we tread the line with FFP but you'd think we'd have a decent amount of wiggle room. I agree I think we'll see a decent range of options as alternatives fans can agree to and then if they don't want any could get a refund. We had 5 home games left? Perhaps things like a free shirt for next season + £50 voucher in the shop etc. Wouldn't make much out of the shop for a season but we wouldn't be having to refund as much.

Did some very crude maths the other day and reckon most of our FFP wiggle room would be used up in 3-4 months of no income and having to give refunds.

14 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Don't think FFP or how much he puts in will come into it as surely they will have to relax ome of these regulation in light of what is going on. Either way the club will not be able to not offer a refund (or part -refund) as the customers haven't received the goods they have paid for.

All clubs had to submit their projected accounts in March (for accounts to end of normal season).  Those would give the best positioning of finances without the effects of covid....and are used already (even if not forcibly enough) to charge clubs.  I see no reason why these couldn’t be used to check compliance as a starting point.  They are going to better looking than the actual accounts.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, phantom said:

City to return to training on Monday

Everyone being tested today to ensure anyone with a positive result stays away

Sweepstake on who has the virus? I'm going Pato...

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, mozo said:

Sweepstake on who has the virus? I'm going Pato...

He won’t have been within 2m of anyone. 😂😂😂

1 minute ago, pillred said:

Would people be happy if the club were to say to existing season ticket holders we will only base next seasons price on 18 games and price it accordingly (assuming we don't go up)

There’s 19 home games in the Prem 👀

😂😂😂😂😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, phantom said:

City to return to training on Monday

Everyone being tested today to ensure anyone with a positive result stays away

Probably the first time in my life to do with Bristol City I'm praying we don't get a positive result.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He won’t have been within 2m of anyone. 😂😂😂

There’s 19 home games in the Prem 👀

😂😂😂😂😂

Yes I know that, I did say assuming we didn't go up, but seriously was just thinking it might be a way that the club wont have to shell out a shedload of money in refunds when they can least afford it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is the season now finished, with the majority going to decide if to continue or not? 

5 of the top 6 would be happy for the season to end, maybe Fulham 6 points behind auto may think they have a play off place and still a shout at auto ( 5 to end, 1 Play)

Stoke in 17th to Hull in 21st will be happy to end and avoid relegation (5 to end)

Reading 14th to Birmingham 16th, little to play for, not much chance of relegation and very remote chance of play offs, but all the cost of playing, so likely to want finished (3 likely to end)

Luton and Barsley could go either way as unlikely to avoid relegation but will incur all the cost and no gate receipts ( 2 could go either way, but likely end)

Which leaves us in 7th to QPR in 13th with chance of play offs (7 to play)

and Charlton in 22nd a chance of avoiding relegation (1 to play)

 

So I think it could be 15 want end v 9 will want to carry on

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Is the season now finished, with the majority going to decide if to continue or not? 

5 of the top 6 would be happy for the season to end, maybe Fulham 6 points behind auto may think they have a play off place and still a shout at auto ( 5 to end, 1 Play)

Stoke in 17th to Hull in 21st will be happy to end and avoid relegation (5 to end)

Reading 14th to Birmingham 16th, little to play for, not much chance of relegation and very remote chance of play offs, but all the cost of playing, so likely to want finished (3 likely to end)

Luton and Barsley could go either way as unlikely to avoid relegation but will incur all the cost and no gate receipts ( 2 could go either way, but likely end)

Which leaves us in 7th to QPR in 13th with chance of play offs (7 to play)

and Charlton in 22nd a chance of avoiding relegation (1 to play)

 

So I think it could be 15 want end v 9 will want to carry on

 

With City returning to training on Monday I think you have your answer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

With City returning to training on Monday I think you have your answer.

I don't think that means anything, players have returned as the season may continue, but ts crazy that clubs will be voting and have an agenda based upon league position. What they should have said is the season will be finished, but the choice is this season or delay next season

BBC news (with non relevant bits removed)

Clubs will still be promoted and relegated from the three divisions of the English Football League if seasons are ended amid the coronavirus crisis.

Play-offs will also be played, but with no more than four teams.

The EFL has confirmed that 51% of Championship, League One and League Two clubs need to agree for the campaign in each division to be curtailed.

This could pave the way for the League One season to be cancelled, with teams currently split over a resolution.

The new regulations still have to be voted on by all 71 EFL clubs before they can be implemented.

Players are set to return to training on Monday but with strict protocols.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

I don't think that means anything, players have returned as the season may continue, but ts crazy that clubs will be voting and have an agenda based upon league position. What they should have said is the season will be finished, but the choice is this season or delay next season

BBC news (with non relevant bits removed)

Clubs will still be promoted and relegated from the three divisions of the English Football League if seasons are ended amid the coronavirus crisis.

Play-offs will also be played, but with no more than four teams.

The EFL has confirmed that 51% of Championship, League One and League Two clubs need to agree for the campaign in each division to be curtailed.

This could pave the way for the League One season to be cancelled, with teams currently split over a resolution.

The new regulations still have to be voted on by all 71 EFL clubs before they can be implemented.

Players are set to return to training on Monday but with strict protocols.

By all accounts, the majority of the Championship want to continue.

Leaders, Leeds have already come out to say they are strong in their opinion that the season should be concluded.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

By all accounts, the majority of the Championship want to continue.

Leaders, Leeds have already come out to say they are strong in their opinion that the season should be concluded.  

lets hope you are correct, but not sure I trust in honest sportsmanship of clubs who have so much to gain financially when it comes to it, imagine the fans backlash if Leeds vote to carry on and F it up (although would be hilarious)

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

For me the season has ended because, unless a vaccine makes a miraculous appearance, I do not want to put my life and my wife's life at greater risk than the present situation. And while I've already bought for next season, I don't expect to go.

My only visits to places like supermarkets are a bi-weekly shopping trip. We get as much delivered as possible and stay well away from others when dog walking.

I'll miss my friends at City and Bears but it's not worth the risk.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, pillred said:

Yes I know that, I did say assuming we didn't go up, but seriously was just thinking it might be a way that the club wont have to shell out a shedload of money in refunds when they can least afford it.

I should read your post in more detail. 👍🏻
 

Yes, you’d think there’d be an option to take off of next seasons, amongst other options.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

For me the season has ended because, unless a vaccine makes a miraculous appearance, I do not want to put my life and my wife's life at greater risk than the present situation. And while I've already bought for next season, I don't expect to go.

My only visits to places like supermarkets are a bi-weekly shopping trip. We get as much delivered as possible and stay well away from others when dog walking.

I'll miss my friends at City and Bears but it's not worth the risk.

Neither do I mate or my 2 young kids, but I’m not eligible to be furloughed so I have to work, if I didn’t we’d have hardly any income to pay bills, feed mouths etc. Yes football to us fans is a sport our source of entertainment (home games not included!) but for football players it’s their job, and just the same as every other worker in this country they will be expected to return to their jobs when it is safe to do so. As harsh as it is Rodman from the Blue Few stating the other day how 1,400 players who are out of contract will be out of a job, well my response to that is, ‘welcome to the real world’ there will be hundreds of thousand others who will also lose there job because of this pandemic, unfortunately it’s life.

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Steve said on PW that we will be voting to play out the season

I'd be pretty confident that most clubs know how everyone else is voting which is why we are returning to training on Monday. From the start of this lockdown pretty much every Championship club stated they would wish to see out the season and i don't see that changing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, NlGHTMARE said:

Not a chance our fixture list was very favourable, and we’re pushing for cheats to be punished to the fullest extent of the law. 

Agree re cheats, but no fixture list is favourable if you’re 24th in the league!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Agree re cheats, but no fixture list is favourable if you’re 24th in the league!

And have to play 5 of the top 10, admittedly 3 are towards the bottom of the table but going into end of season I'd rather have 5 mid table teams than 5 teams around you fighting for survival, then add QPR and I wouldn't call it favourable.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Agree re cheats, but no fixture list is favourable if you’re 24th in the league!

However the leagues get decided it will never please everyone, Take Charlton and Hull for example both from what I’ve read want the season to be voided, why? Only because it suits them and they don’t get relegated by either playing out the remaining games or by PPG, same goes for ourselves on wanting to play out the season.

Im of the opinion where no matter how long it takes for it to be safe enough is to play the last 9 games, the season is too far gone to just wipe it out as if it never happened, and simply don’t agree with the PPG scenario and if players like Deeney, Kante, Rose etc don’t feel safe enough to play then it’s pretty simple don’t play then let others who want to play get on with it.

Edited by BCFC11
  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well we're (re)starting today, the fans are at place, weather is good. Alongside with the noises and singing from the stands (which had a surpisingly good sound during the training matches) I feel this can have a very good impact if the game will be good.

If the the game is bad then these paperfans will have a sad presence, otherwise I'm really looking forward to it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAfsVRen8bN/

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I see that Hull have had leaked sent another letter about their stance on the remaining Championship season.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/05/23/exclusive-hull-city-reiterates-opposition-championship-second/

I did find it amusing that they were complaining about the first one being leaked- how long have they been in the game, they surely know it is a leaky industry and has been for some time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

However the leagues get decided it will never please everyone, Take Charlton and Hull for example both from what I’ve read want the season to be voided, why? Only because it suits them and they don’t get relegated by either playing out the remaining games or by PPG, same goes for ourselves on wanting to play out the season.

Im of the opinion where no matter how long it takes for it to be safe enough is to play the last 9 games, the season is too far gone to just wipe it out as if it never happened, and simply don’t agree with the PPG scenario and if players like Deeney, Kante, Rose etc don’t feel safe enough to play then it’s pretty simple don’t play then let others who want to play get on with it.

From a selfish point of view, I want the season to continue and Hull to go down. 

 

I'd win almost enough for a season ticket from a bet I put on, 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I see that Hull have had leaked sent another letter about their stance on the remaining Championship season.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/05/23/exclusive-hull-city-reiterates-opposition-championship-second/

I did find it amusing that they were complaining about the first one being leaked- how long have they been in the game, they surely know it is a leaky industry and has been for some time.

If they object to it that strongly they should forfeit all their remaining games on principle. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...