IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

6 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

I will repeat again; there has been an average of 17,000 per year, seasonal flu related deaths from 2014-2019 just how many were reported daily by the media and how many mass attendance events were cancelled? I`ll save you the time for looking....none and none. :dunno:

I’m just going to copy and paste precisely the same reply I gave you yesterday:-

These constant attempts by people to dismiss Coronavirus as “just like flu” are getting tiresome. There are good reasons why the world is reacting very differently.

“While the viruses that cause both COVID-19 and seasonal influenza are transmitted from person-to-person and may cause similar symptoms, the two viruses are very different and do not behave in the same way. ECDC estimates that between 15 000 and 75 000 people die prematurely due to causes associated with seasonal influenza each year in the EU, the UK, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein. This is approximately 1 in every 1 000 people who are infected. By comparison, the current estimated mortality rate for COVID-19 is 20-30 per 1 000 people.

Despite the relatively low mortality rate for seasonal influenza, many people die from the disease due to the large number of people who contract it each year. The concern about COVID-19 is that, unlike influenza, there is no vaccine and no specific treatment for the disease. It also appears to be as transmissible as influenza if not more so. As it is a new virus, nobody has prior immunity which in theory means that the entire human population is potentially susceptible to COVID-19 infection.“

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/novel-coronavirus-china/questions-answers

• Like 9

• Admin
1 minute ago, Drew Peacock said:

Is that right?

Like you I get very confused with the press not making the difference.

Indeed 

Coronavirus has been around for decades and is in itself nothing worse than influenza. Which is why the measures being brought in (washing hands etc) are to stop that spreading. 

The virus that is the current problem is called Covid-19 and is something different 

It is interesting to read / watch various news agencies how they are careful which terminology they are using 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I’m just going to copy and paste precisely the same reply I gave you yesterday:-

These constant attempts by people to dismiss Coronavirus as “just like flu” are getting tiresome. There are good reasons why the world is reacting very differently.

“While the viruses that cause both COVID-19 and seasonal influenza are transmitted from person-to-person and may cause similar symptoms, the two viruses are very different and do not behave in the same way. ECDC estimates that between 15 000 and 75 000 people die prematurely due to causes associated with seasonal influenza each year in the EU, the UK, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein. This is approximately 1 in every 1 000 people who are infected. By comparison, the current estimated mortality rate for COVID-19 is 20-30 per 1 000 people.

Despite the relatively low mortality rate for seasonal influenza, many people die from the disease due to the large number of people who contract it each year. The concern about COVID-19 is that, unlike influenza, there is no vaccine and no specific treatment for the disease. It also appears to be as transmissible as influenza if not more so. As it is a new virus, nobody has prior immunity which in theory means that the entire human population is potentially susceptible to COVID-19 infection.“

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/novel-coronavirus-china/questions-answers

ok thats fair enough but the estimated mortality rate is still less than the SARS outbreak in 03; do you think that this latest virus will kill more this year than the flu did in 08/09; 13,000 in this country and 1/2 a million worldwide according to W.H.O.

It also seems that the old and the people with underlying problems are the most likely to be affected/die and by far most infected will recover in a few weeks; this is not a virus that will certainly kill you if you get it therefore the mass panic buying is hard to understand.

8 minutes ago, phantom said:

Indeed 

Coronavirus has been around for decades and is in itself nothing worse than influenza. Which is why the measures being brought in (washing hands etc) are to stop that spreading. 

The virus that is the current problem is called Covid-19 and is something different 

It is interesting to read / watch various news agencies how they are careful which terminology they are using 

If we're going to be fussy about terminology, COVID-19 refers to the disease (symptoms) in the present epidemic caused by the virus SARS-CoV-2 which is a member of the group of coronaviruses.  The chap referred to here has the disease COVID-19 according to the statement from Arsenal.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, phantom said:

Which bit isn't true that I posted @Kid in the Riot?

The bit about having to be within 6ft of someone for 15 minutes to catch it. Complete nonsense I'm afraid. 

You could be in close proximity to someone for a very short space of time and catch it, for example if they coughed or sneezed near you. 

You could also catch it by being in an empty room all on your own, hours after the last person had been in there. This is because the virus stays on surfaces. You touch that infected surface and touch your face and you could catch the virus.

It works no differently from the flu or norovirus, for example, so I'm a little miffed as to why people still don't understand how viruses transmit.

31 minutes ago, phantom said:

Which bit isn't true that I posted @Kid in the Riot?

There are many Coronaviruses floating around the UK every year causing mild illness through common colds. The tests conducted for Covid-19 are capable of telling the difference between these relatively harmless Coronaviruses and the more serious new virus.

• Like 1

• Admin
8 minutes ago, Nibor said:

If we're going to be fussy about terminology, COVID-19 refers to the disease (symptoms) in the present epidemic caused by the virus SARS-CoV-2 which is a member of the group of coronaviruses.  The chap referred to here has the disease COVID-19 according to the statement from Arsenal.

Interesting the only reference is via Arsenal 

39 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

I will repeat again; there has been an average of 17,000 per year, seasonal flu related deaths from 2014-2019 just how many were reported daily by the media and how many mass attendance events were cancelled? I`ll save you the time for looking....none and none. :dunno:

I will repeat my question from yesterday again, are you sure the AVERAGE figure of 17000 deaths is correct? For seasonal flu to have a fatality rate of 0.1% that would mean 17 MILLION people getting the flu in the UK each year? Roughly 1 in 4 people.

That sounds way too high.

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan

• Admin
6 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

How can you be so sure? If Arsenal players are self-isolating because of their contact with him then surely Forest players should do the same?

No idea.

It was stated the problem was connected to Olympiacos (sic)

Possible like other illnesses that it's only contagious in certain stages? 

6 minutes ago, Nibor said:

This.

COVID-19 means COronaVIrus Disease 2019.  Coronavirus itself isn't a single disease, it's a name for a collection of diseases - kind of like how we say we have a cold, but there are lots of different viruses that cause colds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

No idea why people are still banging on about Flu? It's far worse than Flu unless i'm missing something?

• Like 3

• Admin
9 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The bit about having to be within 6ft of someone for 15 minutes to catch it. Complete nonsense I'm afraid. 

You could be in close proximity to someone for a very short space of time and catch it, for example if they coughed or sneezed near you. 

You could also catch it by being in an empty room all on your own, hours after the last person had been in there. This is because the virus stays on surfaces. You touch that infected surface and touch your face and you could catch the virus.

It works no differently from the flu or norovirus, for example, so I'm a little miffed as to why people still don't understand how viruses transmit.

But aren't you being more specific to catching a form of Coronavirus? 

Like you say easily spread and with a very basic level of self hygiene very preventable 

1 minute ago, Super said:

No idea why people are still banging on about Flu? It's far worse than Flu unless i'm missing something?

Problem is Coronavirus is akin to flu

4 minutes ago, phantom said:

Interesting the only reference is via Arsenal 

I don't think anybody is reporting viruses unrelated to the present epidemic as though they are and I'm not sure how you've come to the conclusion that is what is happening. They're just being sloppy with naming.

No idea.

Perhaps they omitted to talk about Forest because they were discussing the prem game? The guy was in contact with Forest players last Friday 

5 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I will repeat my question from yesterday again, are you sure the AVERAGE figure of 17000 deaths is correct? For seasonal flu to have a fatality rate of 0.1% that would mean 17 MILLION people getting the flu in the UK each year? Roughly 1 in 4 people.

That sounds way too high.

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/annual-flu-reports

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/839350/Surveillance_of_influenza_and_other_respiratory_viruses_in_the_UK_2018_to_2019-FINAL.pdf

Page 51

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Days 

• Admin
20 minutes ago, Nibor said:

I don't think anybody is reporting viruses unrelated to the present epidemic as though they are and I'm not sure how you've come to the conclusion that is what is happening. They're just being sloppy with naming.

I'm lost as to your point 

All the other reports on the guy are stating he has Coronavirus,  Arsenal.com is the only place saying he has Covid-19 

26 minutes ago, phantom said:

No idea.

Arsenal played Olympiacos recently and some of the players met with the owner after the game. Also this was a Premier League decision, no that's likely why no mention of Forest - but based on the fact he was at the Forest game the other night and met with the players, I would assume they will take similar measures. Would be odd if they didnt 

All the other reports on the guy are stating he has Coronavirus,  Arsenal.com is the only place saying he has Covid-19 

I think you're being unnecessarily pedantic, it's like a kid whose just learnt something new and keeps repeating it every chance they can

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, phantom said:

What is hard to understand? The media are using the word coronavirus to refer to COVID-19 because they are sloppy. They are not reporting that he has some other virus from the same family.

I don't know why you'd come to the conclusion that a media that has been thoroughly incompetent at science reporting for decades is suddenly accurate!

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

How can you be so sure? If Arsenal players are self-isolating because of their contact with him then surely Forest players should do the same?

If they need to self isolate then surely they'd have done so by now - and Forest's next match would already be off. There's little point self isolating days after the contact?

We don't know the detail, of course. Maybe he shook hands and had drinks with the Arsenal players, but just popped his head round the changing room door at Forest?

From bbc sport: - I had no idea there were two teams in a Greece with very similar names until Joe told me last night.

Posted at 8:28

'All the tests came out negative'

Olympiakos v Wolves (Thursday, 20:00 GMT)

The Greek side themselves have just issued a coronavirus statement and that says...

"Olympiacos FC informs that after the required medical exams to which all the members of the football staff, as well as board members and staff, were submitted, all the tests came out negative for the COVID-19 virus."

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Indeed 

Not according to the World Health Organisation.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/technical-guidance/naming-the-coronavirus-disease-(covid-2019)-and-the-virus-that-causes-it

Covid 19 is the disease. Also known as 'coronavirus disease'

The virus is severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2

So, the disease (covid 19) is new. The virus is related to other respiratory viruses (SARS particularly) but is different. 

1 hour ago, glos old boy said:

ok thats fair enough but the estimated mortality rate is still less than the SARS outbreak in 03; do you think that this latest virus will kill more this year than the flu did in 08/09; 13,000 in this country and 1/2 a million worldwide according to W.H.O.

It also seems that the old and the people with underlying problems are the most likely to be affected/die and by far most infected will recover in a few weeks; this is not a virus that will certainly kill you if you get it therefore the mass panic buying is hard to understand.

Yes, I think an uncontrolled outbreak of an infection with a fatality rate statistically far higher than flu, without the protection of a vaccine, DOES have the potential to overwhelm healthcare services and kill a lot more people than flu. Hence the drastic measures being taken in some countries.

Given that we’re currently on a very similar trajectory to Italy, which is now in the midst of an unprecedented national shut-down, I don’t actually think the “panic buying” is that hard to understand. Rightly or wrongly - and I’m not saying it’s the right thing to do - it’s a response to a potential repeat situation here, rather than the threat of the virus itself.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, italian dave said:

If they need to self isolate then surely they'd have done so by now - and Forest's next match would already be off. There's little point self isolating days after the contact?

We don't know the detail, of course. Maybe he shook hands and had drinks with the Arsenal players, but just popped his head round the changing room door at Forest?

Millwall staff have, according to BBC article today. Forest are waiting on feedback from an EFL investigation into circumstances. Reports state that he met players and staff on the day.

Why is there little point self isolating after contact? The point is to stop it spreading

2 hours ago, phantom said:

Part of the problem is that people ARE being diagnosed with Coronavirus (as they have been since the 1950s) but very few are catching Covid-19 and everyone seems to be treating them both as the same when they are not. 

Just like any other airborne bug you have to be within 6ft of an affected person for at least 15 minutes to catch the Coronavirus, but the sensationalist headlines and misleading news stories has put everyone into a panic 

It's funny how there is next to no news reporting that new cases etc in the Chinese regions are dropping daily and the infamous hospital that was built quickly is now standing empty as it is not required. 

Even the Italian "lockdown" is misleading as people were still working as normal yesterday 

As I've posted on another thread, the World Health Organisation say that the disease is called Coronavirus disease (Covid 19).

Agree with you about China, although it's not like that hospital was never used. Their response, isolation, quarantine and resources to treat lots of people, managed the outbreak to the much better place it is now. 

In Italy, people are not working as normal. I know seven adult age Italians, in the North East and in Rome. Two are students and their universities are closed, one can study at home, the other not. One is a teacher and is giving on line lessons by Skype, and the school is closed completely. One is an engineer and one in advertising, and both are working solely from home. Only the shop owner is still going to work. And more generally, all reastaurants, bars etc close at 6pm, most other forms of entertainment closed completely. So, people may still be working, but very far from 'normally' 

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/technical-guidance/naming-the-coronavirus-disease-(covid-2019)-and-the-virus-that-causes-it

• Like 1