Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport

This thread does not deserve to be on page 4.

Leicester goes back into lockdown, as do many states in USA,India Australia, and it is still rife in South Americia, middle East and Africia;

Add to that the fact that another potentail pandemic in a pig flu virus has been detected in bloody China (again)

This is far from over COVID is still here we should not drop our guard.

Edited by glos old boy
1 hour ago, glos old boy said:

This thread does not deserve to be on page 4.

Leicester goes back into lockdown, as do many states in USA,India Australia, and it is still rife in South Americia, middle East and Africia;

Add to that the fact that another potentail pandemic in a pig flu virus has been detected in bloody China (again)

This is far from over COVID is still here we should not drop our guard.

Tell that to the Tory government 

Edited by And Its Smith
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, daored said:

Seems strange to me , Leicester will be in lockdown but the football team can play 

Only because they get tested regularly, in this sense its being able to go to work for them

50 minutes ago, hodge said:

Only because they get tested regularly, in this sense its being able to go to work for them

I understand the testing of the players but it seems odd the city goes into lockdown but the football team plays a game of football in city centre 

5 minutes ago, daored said:

I understand the testing of the players but it seems odd the city goes into lockdown but the football team plays a game of football in city centre 

Its the going to work part, govt advice is still go to work where possible. To us its entertainment to those in football its a case of going to work, going to work is made possible for them because of the regular testing

Edited by hodge

More or less has been more reliable than the news for years with its straight, unbiased look at stats. It’s coverage on Covid has been excellent, but today’s ‘wrap up’ episode is great if you want to understand how we got it so wrong.

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/more-or-less-behind-the-stats/id267300884#episodeGuid=urn%3Abbc%3Apodcast%3Ap08jh9j7

• Like 1

Going to Spain? 14day quarantine for those returning from tomorrow;

Spain says second spike iminent, Germany and France are worried and report higher than normal rises as does Hong Kong and India with 100,000 new cases in last 2 days, now at 1.2million and I wont even mention Africa, Brazil or USA ;

Open football grounds hmmmmm dodgey maybe Covid may yet have something to say before that happens.

We all want Covid to go away, drop our guard and it will smash us in the face again, it will be back how soon is up to us.

1 minute ago, glos old boy said:

Spain says second spike iminent, Germany and France are worried and report higher than normal rises as does Hong Kong and India with 100,000 new cases in last 2 days, now at 1.2million and I wont even mention Africa, Brazil or USA ;

Open football grounds hmmmmm dodgey maybe Covid may yet have something to say before that happens.

We all want Covid to go away, drop our guard and it will smash us in the face again, it will be back how soon is up to us.

Somethings got to happen, league 1 and 2 won't be able to afford twice weekly testing of players/staff for a whole season and probably some champ clubs won't be able to afford it either, all non-league won't be tested so does football continue and accept players could well catch it or does everything shut down again knowing clubs will go under? 

3 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

Season only ended a few days ago but have any of the players flown out to Spain for hols in that time ? 

If so Two weeks quarantine? 

4 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Somethings got to happen, league 1 and 2 won't be able to afford twice weekly testing of players/staff for a whole season and probably some champ clubs won't be able to afford it either, all non-league won't be tested so does football continue and accept players could well catch it or does everything shut down again knowing clubs will go under? 

3 minutes ago, Cov 77 said:

Season only ended a few days ago but have any of the players flown out to Spain for hols in that time ? 

If so Two weeks quarantine? 

18 players tested positive from a football club in Spain I believe, also I think we are easing off on the lockdown too quick and need to keep a lid on it at least until the vacine/inhibiter injections are ready. I wont be going abroad anytime soon or attending any raves/beach parties or football games, until we have some form of defence to fight this evil virus

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
45 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Let’s cripple the nhs and kill people off so football can survive. 

• Hmmm 1
9 minutes ago, S25loyal said:

Let’s cripple the nhs and kill people off so football can survive. 

Did I say that? But do people realistically see the FA/PL propping under the entire football league/semi pro levels of non-league? The question is at what level do you draw the line for the requirement of testing players?

1 hour ago, Lrrr said:

Can understand the twice weekly testing as I believe a Spanish club has had 18 players tested positive, which would shut any club down for weeks and cause chaos if it happened here, imagine if 2 or 3 clubs got infected; although testing only tests at that particular time, (you could pick up covid seconds later and then be positive) hence enchanced testing.

Make no mistake this virus will strike again and harder if we let it, we need to keep a lid on it.

11 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Did I say that? But do people realistically see the FA/PL propping under the entire football league/semi pro levels of non-league? The question is at what level do you draw the line for the requirement of testing players?

Edited by glos old boy
21 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

Can understand the twice weekly testing as I believe a Spanish club has had 18 players tested positive, which would shut any club down for weeks and cause chaos if it happened here, imagine if 2 or 3 clubs got infected; although testing only tests at that particular time, (you could pick up covid seconds later and then be positive) hence enchanced testing. Make no mistake this virus will strike again and harder if we let it, we need to keep a lid on it.

Yes testing players regularly is essential but at what level does it become compulsory? Almost definitely will see some bigger teams go under if they get told they have to stop again without any support

2 hours ago, glos old boy said:

Can understand the twice weekly testing as I believe a Spanish club has had 18 players tested positive, which would shut any club down for weeks and cause chaos if it happened here, imagine if 2 or 3 clubs got infected; although testing only tests at that particular time, (you could pick up covid seconds later and then be positive) hence enchanced testing.

Make no mistake this virus will strike again and harder if we let it, we need to keep a lid on it.

I've been paying less attention to it lately, but I had a quick look earlier. 

It appears on be accelerating globally, sadly.

Appears to be increasing by 1 million per 4 or 5 days over the last few weeks. 

My quick search suggests:

3rd July 2020- 11m cases

8th July 2020- 12m cases

13th July 2020- 13m cases

17th July 2020- 14m cases

22nd July 2020- 15m cases

It's possibly at 16m now but not fully confirmed. One report suggested it hit 16m on Saturday.

WHO say not yet reached peak.

• Sad 1
7 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Yes testing players regularly is essential but at what level does it become compulsory? Almost definitely will see some bigger teams go under if they get told they have to stop again without any support

Many business`s have gone "under" and 1000`s have lost their jobs even with the wide ranging support/loans/furloughing available, sad but not as sad as the tens of thousands of Brits who have already lost their LIVES over this. If some football clubs go under thats sad but they should be testing regularly.

52 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

Many business`s have gone "under" and 1000`s have lost their jobs even with the wide ranging support/loans/furloughing available, sad but not as sad as the tens of thousands of Brits who have already lost their LIVES over this. If some football clubs go under thats sad but they should be testing regularly.

The virus is still out there and people need to realise that. Even though the South West has dodged the very worst of it so far (apologies if you have lost a loved one, as every death is very sad for the families and friends), there is still a trickle of positive cases every week in Bristol. We all need to do our bit to stop it spreading rapidly again, which does unfortunate mean simple measures such as proper hand hygiene, social distancing, and wear a mask indoors, especially if you can’t stay a certain distance away from each other. Even back as far as the Spanish flu epidemic a hundred years ago, it was high levels of compliance with the above that made the difference in terms of spread, and where was least affected and where was worst.

The EFL should be underwriting the cost of testing for all clubs, especially as the smaller ones are more dependent on crowd attendance for income, which with the best will in the world, is not going to be anywhere near normal levels for next season. There will also be localised flare ups, as certain groups flout the rules, and that should lead to local measures being taken, as per Leicester, which could again affect clubs either directly by players becoming infected, or no spectators again.

The real worry is what happens this winter, especially as all the other viruses and bacteria that usually cause problems every year, haven’t gone away either. Hopefully the rates of those might be a bit lower, if we follow the rules for how to prevent coronavirus spread, but as for the blusterer-in-chief saying it will “all be over” by Christmas, that also has echoes of just over a hundred years ago, as it’s likely to be just as incorrect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Lrrr said:

No, hence they go bust. Loads of people are losing their jobs, over paid footballers shouldn’t be exempt from it. 

1 hour ago, S25loyal said:

No, hence they go bust. Loads of people are losing their jobs, over paid footballers shouldn’t be exempt from it. 

Footballers will certainly get a reality check through this virus, but unfortunately it’ll likely be the less well paid players and smaller clubs in the lower leagues who bear the brunt of financial fall-out from all this.

It’ll be interesting to see what happens if sponsors, advertisers and tv companies all want their money back, as that will directly hit the wealthiest in football, then the legal battles may become our main source of entertainment!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

The virus is still out there and people need to realise that. Even though the South West has dodged the very worst of it so far (apologies if you have lost a loved one, as every death is very sad for the families and friends), there is still a trickle of positive cases every week in Bristol. We all need to do our bit to stop it spreading rapidly again, which does unfortunate mean simple measures such as proper hand hygiene, social distancing, and wear a mask indoors, especially if you can’t stay a certain distance away from each other. Even back as far as the Spanish flu epidemic a hundred years ago, it was high levels of compliance with the above that made the difference in terms of spread, and where was least affected and where was worst.

The EFL should be underwriting the cost of testing for all clubs, especially as the smaller ones are more dependent on crowd attendance for income, which with the best will in the world, is not going to be anywhere near normal levels for next season. There will also be localised flare ups, as certain groups flout the rules, and that should lead to local measures being taken, as per Leicester, which could again affect clubs either directly by players becoming infected, or no spectators again.

The real worry is what happens this winter, especially as all the other viruses and bacteria that usually cause problems every year, haven’t gone away either. Hopefully the rates of those might be a bit lower, if we follow the rules for how to prevent coronavirus spread, but as for the blusterer-in-chief saying it will “all be over” by Christmas, that also has echoes of just over a hundred years ago, as it’s likely to be just as incorrect.

This is a new virus on the block, although related to others I believe, hopefully we can find an injection soon to help us all combat it and put it on the back burner. I was out in Hong Kong years back when sars was rife and many were wearing masks it seemed to fade into the background hopefully this one will to, although it seems more of a killer and still very much expanding all over the world and is trying to surface again in Europe.

As was said we must do "whatever it takes" and not relax our guard until we have help to fight it.

Lost my mother (in a care home) to it a few months back and have no wish to lose anyone else, can we not manage without going to footie/swimming/clubs/gyms for a few more months? seems a small price to pay.:dunno:

Edited by glos old boy
  • Like 3
  • Robin 1

Interesting that  fans returning in October ( in moderation) has been suggested as a possibility . Not sure what anyone else thinks but when it comes to making that decision whether to attend or not , I honestly don’t know how I’ll feel ( despite having already paid for my st next year ) 

With yesterday’s announcements delaying any further relaxation to lockdown, October is looking less likely. It raises the real possibility that we’ll be into 2021 before there’s any prospect of fans returning, and I just don’t see how many L1 and L2 clubs can survive if that happens. 

3 hours ago, italian dave said:

With yesterday’s announcements delaying any further relaxation to lockdown, October is looking less likely. It raises the real possibility that we’ll be into 2021 before there’s any prospect of fans returning, and I just don’t see how many L1 and L2 clubs can survive if that happens. 

Is a business support scheme possible from the EFL at all? They borrow money, knowing full well that they will have continued income and stability, and use it to help smaller clubs if and when needed?