IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

55 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Laptops will soon become short supply, as businesses will start insisting people work from home. So I’m off to PC world to buy the stock. 

You may laugh but when I’m selling them for thousands on eBay you will all wish you done the same. 

You heard it here first. 

Make sure you install Norton.

Don't want to get a virus.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

Might have to do the same and avoid my Dad if this carries on - I dread to think what would happen if he contracted it (he has diabetes, lung disease and lung cancer - a bout of Covid-19 would likely finish him off when he's got enough to put up with)

Yeah that's the big worry isn't it. Trouble is how long do you avoid them for? A cure won't be likely for several months so I've read. Can't leave them alone because they have serious conditions and need care. 

1 hour ago, lenred said:

Awful situation for you CR. The attitude of some people on this absolutely stinks and some of the stuff going around regards peoples views on ‘natural selection’ is truly unbelievable although in this day and age not too surprising unfortunately.  I wish you and yours well and let’s hope this is over or at least calms down sooner rather than later. 

Thanks for you kind words lenred. 

Maybe many of the sanctimonious folk who often tell us that the work BCFC does at the local hospice "puts things in to perspective" will go ahead and prove it by doing the right thing. 

But they won't. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomF said:

Think many of us with elderly parents etc thinking same.  I’m on immune suppressant meds due to my crohns but while I’m fairly confident it won’t affect me badly as I have a strong immune system on the most part I’m scared stiff of catching it and passing on it to the old man who’s late 70s and has lung issues, and the FIL who’s had a quintuple heart bypass a year back.  Burying down the hatches atm 

I'm on Azathioprine immune suppresant for life so I've been concerned. However I've also read that some of the deaths are caused by the immune system overreacting to the virus so who knows we might be better off

5 minutes ago, !james said:

Assume this could be closing schools, canceling sporting events etc. 

I would imagine so.

Get thee to Budget Booze for a few weeks worth of essentials and make sure you're on first name terms with the healthiest Deliveroo delivery person you can find.

In all seriousness though, I can see us all having to make some significant adjustments, hopefully those who need extra help and support are able to access it, and those who remain for and healthy are able to ease the burden on the services that can help the venerable by not using them unnecessarily.

But let's just wait and see what happens, it looks like Italy are a couple of weeks in front of us, so I would guess that is where we are heading.

• The topic was locked
5 hours ago, Wade Wilson said:

Not football but ******* hell its all going off 

One of the leagues best players tested positive. They will take that very seriously. Been talking about behind closed doors for awhile. Sad it takes someone getting it to spark action. As much as I would hate it, they need to suspend/behind closed door football immediately. 

Also, it doesn’t seem a major illness for the most part but it wouldn't be fair to spread it to those that it would effect the worst. 

Not to make light of what is clearly an escalating situation, but why are football fans always the thing people want to stop first. Icy streets stop football fans. Terrorist threats check football fans jackets. COVID-19 play football behind closed doors.

Meanwhile everyone else do what the **** you like. We were talking about Coronavirus at Leeds away - that's when it was first reported in the UK. A month ago. It had already taken hold in Italy. Did we stop people heading off to ski in Northern Italy?

I haven't left the country for a holiday, I work hard and want to follow my team around England. The last thing I want to do is catch or pass on a virus to the vulnerable, but FFS it's been fine for a different class of people to get their annual ski trip done first.

I get it, big crowds, virus out of control, moving from containment to delay. But there is a sub-text. Football fans are irresponsible, football fans are unhygienic. I could get it on the tube - and more likely too. Why are football fans a different class of big crowd.

Politicians won't bat an eye lid if football fans all end up £100s out of pocket on trains and match tickets let alone season ticket. Meanwhile holidaymakers have a thing called travel insurance and when the government pulls the plug, they get them all home.

Sorry, this is a bit of a misplaced rant, it is a serious situation, I just detest the double standards.

• Like 2