Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Loderingo

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport

14 minutes ago, Robin-hugh-blind said:

An actual suggestion...

Re start next season with the current points and goal difference etc. Not ideal but given the circumstances at least it's fair and doesn't write off the good work done so far.

There will be winners and losers but if the projected numbers are even remotely accurate, football is not the priority. 

Actually not that bad a suggestion tbh.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

The postponements will go on much longer than April 3rd I suspect, leading to a situation where sadly, the entire season will probably have to be written off.

On a more positive note, we are about to enter an international break, which will result in less postponements, so if the season can be restarted at some point, there will be a bit less catchup.

As I understand it, if a flight is cancelled, the airline has to refund your money, but if the football season is cancelled, the clubs get to keep your season ticket money 

A few clubs are teetering close to extinction and I think a number could go under as a result of this.  Whatever the financial outcomes though, the most important thing is keeping people safe.

On the virus itself, an Iranian scientist claims that there is evidence that it has been created in a laboratory and could not have been created naturally.  He seems to think that in time and with further analysis. this is going to be proven.

Leak from a Chinese laboratory is something that has been doing the rounds for a few weeks now.

3 hours ago, redsince1994 said:

Football on a nice summer evening followed by a few on north street sounds like perfection to me!

Does sound nice.

However, if the peak is expected in 10-14 weeks and will possibly stretch over 3 months then I think we’re going to be dealing with this for a long time to come.

6 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think they should cancel the season. It's only going to get worse. Start the  new season again in August.

I hope it can finish we are in a great position be a shame to have that go to waste.

3 minutes ago, Super said:

I hope it can finish we are in a great position be a shame to have that go to waste.

It's only going to get worse so I can't see how they can finish it. 

I think most fans would not fancy us to go up anyway.

33 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

It's only going to get worse so I can't see how they can finish it. 

I think most fans would not fancy us to go up anyway.

You maybe right but could be a while before we are in such a good position again.

20 minutes ago, Super said:

You maybe right but could be a while before we are in such a good position again.

Could be worse, could be Liverpool! 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Super said:

I doubt it. We have a young squad that will only get better. We keep improving our league position. I can't see why we wouldn't be in a similar position to now next season.

Another angle to the potential rescheduling of games is teams, like us, with multi-use stadiums.

Its reasonable to suggest that we cancel the euros, and possibly restart in May with the season ending in June.

However, many teams, including ourselves, will have concerts at their grounds during the summer - with all the preparation/takedown time and pitch damage that causes.

Its not unreasonable to suggest that the loss of commercial streams from those events may drive clubs, if the season is extended, to not play at their normal ground on occasions rather than lose the concert income 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

In France the government have banned visits  to old people’s homes to avoid contagion.

They are advising not to visit elderly relatives or friends and people over seventy have been asked to stay at home going out only when there is no other choice.

Am I the only one who is bewildered by all this ? 

I have never experienced anything like this in my entire life. 

To top it all, whilst I realise that the weaker members of our community are at risk of losing their lives , thousands die off each year with the flu . Why is this virus so much more important ? 

That's worrying as I have my dad, living on his own at 83. He's fiercely independent and I try and pop round a couple of times a week and speak to him most days. Yes, he's a fit 83 but I still don't know whether to keep going round. I'm in and out of hospitals all day at work so am possibly more likely than most to pick this bloody thing up. The last thing I want to do is expose the old fella to more risk!

What to do for the best? 

6 hours ago, Leveller said:

Why? Surely a lot easier to treat it as null and void, rather than try to finish it in the autumn and start again immediately?

Nah, this far into the season you have to have an outcome. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I doubt it. We have a young squad that will only get better. We keep improving our league position. I can't see why we wouldn't be in a similar position to now next season.

Cant presume anything. 

8 hours ago, pillred said:

I think he meant their general hygiene  standards regarding the slaughter storage and selling of meat in open areas, well I'm assuming he did.

And this happens all around the world, particularly in areas which suffer from extreme poverty.

Calling a race of people “scabby” because of living in these conditions is ignorance.

The virus could have emerged from anywhere.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

And this happens all around the world, particularly in areas which suffer from extreme poverty.

Calling a race of people “scabby” because of living in these conditions is ignorance.

The virus could have emerged from anywhere.  

Calling it scabby was being kind.

• Aubergine 1

On 12/03/2020 at 18:46, Lanterne Rouge said:

Anyone else thinks Trump`s massively overreacting? Apparently he has put these measures in place to protect the American people - he won`t do anything to protect those same people from nutjobs with assault rifles though.

I`ll wager more Americans will be shot dead this year than die in the whole of Europe from Coronavirus.

it`s almost as if he`s more concerned about getting re-elected than protecting his citizens - perish the thought.

What a moron you are. 

42 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Nah, this far into the season you have to have an outcome. 

Not to mention the fact you'd have clubs like Luton, Altrincham, Dundee United, Cove Rangers, maybe Coventry, and others for whom winning their league is a near formality losing huge amounts of income. It's completely unfair and would probably lead to legal action if it was voided. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Not to mention the fact you'd have clubs like Luton, Altrincham, Dundee United, Cove Rangers, maybe Coventry, and others for whom winning their league is a near formality losing huge amounts of income. It's completely unfair and would probably lead to legal action if it was voided. 

Luton?!

1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

That's worrying as I have my dad, living on his own at 83. He's fiercely independent and I try and pop round a couple of times a week and speak to him most days. Yes, he's a fit 83 but I still don't know whether to keep going round. I'm in and out of hospitals all day at work so am possibly more likely than most to pick this bloody thing up. The last thing I want to do is expose the old fella to more risk!

What to do for the best? 

Ring explain why you are not popping round wish him all the best and tell him when this all blows over you will be back in smiling and tell him you love him.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I think they should cancel the season. It's only going to get worse. Start the  new season again in August.

I think that is the only option they have how they decide what happens to the end of the season good luck to whoever has to make that decision 

8 minutes ago, Robin Wood said:

I think that is the only option they have how they decide what happens to the end of the season good luck to whoever has to make that decision 

Yes, with our owner and transfer fee income we can afford to lose the income from the last 4-5 home games, but you get the feeling that could be catastrophic for some clubs

2 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Yes, with our owner and transfer fee income we can afford to lose the income from the last 4-5 home games, but you get the feeling that could be catastrophic for some clubs

I don't see how they can catch up  is the next world Cup a winter tournament god knows but as I said good luck to the decision makers they can't please everyone 

On 12/03/2020 at 19:29, BS2 Red said:

It was.

Although a general “I wish you were dead!” is a lot different to “there’s a disease that will kill the elderly and that’ll help my investment portfolio”.

I’m not so sure there is a huge distinction between the two, the reason people were wishing old Brexit voters dead was they were hoping the outcome of a second referendum would be altered by that happening to one that suited their agenda. 
Is that so much different?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Super said:

Luton?!

Don't know who the **** I meant but it certainly wasn't Luton! I'm on a load of drugs so I'm a bit dopey atm.

Edited by ZiderEyed

3 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

What to do for the best? 

I honestly think the best thing to do is be honest and give him the choice. If he is healthy and has the ability to make an informed decision then it should be his decision. Explain you are concerned, be honest about what you think the risks are and let him decide what he wants you to do.

• Like 2

Mass gatherings like Glastonbury, Wimbledon and Ascot being mentioned shows this is likely to go on till at least June. 

if this is the case then, it will be difficult to finish this season.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-mass-gatherings-to-be-banned-under-government-plans-to-combat-covid-19-spread-11957350

Edited by RedorDead BCFC
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:
3 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

What to do for the best? 

I honestly think the best thing to do is be honest and give him the choice. If he is healthy and has the ability to make an informed decision then it should be his decision. Explain you are concerned, be honest about what you think the risks are and let him decide what he wants you to do.

Am in a similar boat to an extent - my dad has diabetes, lung disease and lung cancer so a bout of this could finish him off (he's only 68).  Having asked him about it he said he'd rather die of this than the alternative (that's gallows humour for you)

• Like 1

On 12/03/2020 at 16:16, harvey54 said:

Currently self-isolating. Came back from Malta and a week later I started sweating, aching and feeling wiped out. Lots of Italians on Malta as it's only a ferry ride away. Feels like the start of a heavy cold to be honest but my Mrs works in the NHS so I'm housebound. 

Box set heaven 😆

all the best to ya' mate - we're in state of emergency right now in Warsaw with everything shutdown and rumours of imminent curfew being introduced tomorrow - heard a mate of mine earlier carted off by the men in white coats and you can feel the city in a genuine state of panic and paranoia. This is a very real issue, and it's unbelievable people are still casual and offhand about it all - or worse, using it to point score and settle either political or personal agendas. 

We will get through this, but it needs concerted effort from absolute everyone. More so, we need to learn lessons - i.e. firstly, as a planet we learn to work collectively and effectively to respond to such situations in the future; and b, that our individual governments don't use every budget to slash the **** out of our emergency services. 

Wishing you a speedy recovery! 

• Like 1

I was going to renew my season card this weekend as the deadline is on Monday.

With the likelihood of this season running on until lord knows when, booking your seat for next season, whenever that may start, by the middle of March, now seems a bit early to me.

But I don't suppose the club will alter the renewal dates.

British scientists are close to finding a vaccine for coronavirus apparently, let's keep our fingers crossed we may be nearer the end of this nightmare than we thought.

5 hours ago, pillred said:

British scientists are close to finding a vaccine for coronavirus apparently, let's keep our fingers crossed we may be nearer the end of this nightmare than we thought.

It will take months to do human trials and you cant fast track the process in case there are unforeseen side effects. Especially if the plan is to roll it out to millions of people in a short space of time.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Frenchay Red said:

I was going to renew my season card this weekend as the deadline is on Monday.

With the likelihood of this season running on until lord knows when, booking your seat for next season, whenever that may start, by the middle of March, now seems a bit early to me.

But I don't suppose the club will alter the renewal dates.

It's making me think about not renewing and waiting to see what happens. And then get one if it's all sorted by start of next season.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

City just posted a “match day!” post on Facebook 🤦

Just in a scheduled post id imagine. Sure they've got more things to worry about. 

8 hours ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Mass gatherings like Glastonbury, Wimbledon and Ascot being mentioned shows this is likely to go on till at least June. 

if this is the case then, it will be difficult to finish this season.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-mass-gatherings-to-be-banned-under-government-plans-to-combat-covid-19-spread-11957350

I agree I think it’s highly unlikely the season will conclude, which you can easily see including the play offs.

8 minutes ago, One Team said:

I agree I think it’s highly unlikely the season will conclude, which you can easily see including the play offs.

Agreed - be interesting to see whether the Top 3 end up being promoted to Prem automatically - I don’t genuinely believe that this is the fairest thing to do but who knows what the EFL will decide?! 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HiddenGem7 said:

It will take months to do human trials and you cant fast track the process in case there are unforeseen side effects. Especially if the plan is to roll it out to millions of people in a short space of time.

I do clinical trials, they have lots of groups taking the drugs doing different doses each time a new group starts. Think I read it can take up to 12 years for drugs to get from development to being approved and on the shelves. There's a company in London who I believe are running trials soon for this virus 

I think this season will be cancelled.  If they decide to play on the virus will result in some team’s isolating and others being unfit as they are coming out of isolation. Training and traveling is going to be problematic.  Integrity is shot away. Why not just abandon and when we kick off next season give teams points head start to reflect where they are at this stage.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, General Zod said:

I think this season will be cancelled.  If they decide to play on the virus will result in some team’s isolating and others being unfit as they are coming out of isolation. Training and traveling is going to be problematic.  Integrity is shot away. Why not just abandon and when we kick off next season give teams points head start to reflect where they are at this stage.

Unfair and wrong to abandon the season, as I said yesterday. HOWEVER, if the government are seriously considering placing a ban on all gatherings of over 500 people for up to two years then it's difficult to see any other outcome. 

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Unfair and wrong to abandon the season, as I said yesterday. HOWEVER, if the government are seriously considering placing a ban on all gatherings of over 500 people for up to two years then it's difficult to see any other outcome. 

Well if you take the crowd out of the equation, it is possible to finish the season behind closed doors with all fans watching on Robin's TV. Sky  and BT can still get their games too.

This does require the clubs being able to justify the players and staff going to work despite the associated risks.

• Like 1