IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

12 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I’m not a doctor, however if you were only with this guy yesterday and he’s now been told to go into isolation and you started getting symptoms this morning, then that’s not a long enough incubation period for your sore throat to have anything to do with your manager. Your best bet is to phone 111 and ask for their advice.

I'm a Doctor when flying. Always been well treated.

As there is no doctors degree in football someone need to fill the gap.  

Edited by bristolcitysweden

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Was in Manchester working for a few days, this morning a few of us felt a bit rough with sore throat and high temperatures, we just put it down to a late night last night. 

We found out one of the managers we were with yesterday has been told to go into self isolation after phoning 111.

Obviously this is reported to senior management, we then get a message saying we've all got to get off of the premises as soon as possible and work from home until further notice. 

Typically I was all over the UK next week at meetings so I need to cancel everything. 

Now stood on the train back from Manchester to Bristol in the vestibule area as don't want to risk passing anything on

Am sure it's just a head cold but feel rough

Hope it is just a cold but must be a frustrating and scary thing - look after yourself.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Working in the NHS we follow the guidelines from the experts. As would our government. People trying to gain political points are pretty sad . 

To be fair, there are two very different scientific approaches taking place at the moment.

Most of Europe seems to be trying to nip it in the bud in the short term and aiming to stop it before it takes hold.

Our government essentially appear to have conceded that it isn't something that can be nipped in the bud in the short-term - or at least not without causing a recurrence at a later point - and are essentially accepting it will become widespread and trying to manage that. I get the logic - especially around the idea that introducing measures too early will mean people cease follow them at crucial times - but I can also see why people feel the government is not doing enough. I believe the Chief Scientific Adviser and Chief Medical Officer are being sincere in the advice they give but can absolutely get why people look at the fact we are going in a completely different direction to the science elsewhere and feel a bit concerned and alarmed by that.

Hopefully our approach will prove to be the right one but it is impossible to be sure. And I think anyone choosing to work from home, minimise social contact and avoid crowds is doing a very sensible thing, irrespective of government advice. 

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, Gimme Shelton said:

How can I put this,three years ago some people were wishing elderly brexit voters dead,that was monstrous as well.

Agreed. However as some mitigation, that was a hugely emotive and bitter issue. This is someone gleefully writing about elderly people dying to save money. There is a difference. 

49 minutes ago, eardun said:

It sounded more the balance with behavioural science than economics. They said peak is still 10-14 weeks away. Lock down is tough and they will want it to be working effectively right across and after the peak. Not lock down too early because the behavioural science says people won’t sustain it for that long. 

Yes, and that makes a lot of sense. I’ve just listened to the press conference on the way home, and I was actually very impressed with the reasoning and calm explanations.

• Like 2

Anyone else thinks Trump`s massively overreacting? Apparently he has put these measures in place to protect the American people - he won`t do anything to protect those same people from nutjobs with assault rifles though.

I`ll wager more Americans will be shot dead this year than die in the whole of Europe from Coronavirus.

it`s almost as if he`s more concerned about getting re-elected than protecting his citizens - perish the thought.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Yes, and that makes a lot of sense. I’ve just listened to the press conference on the way home, and I was actually very impressed with the reasoning and calm explanations.

I guess my point was that if the NHS wasn’t on its knees due to mahoosive underfunding, what other options might have been open to us?

Call me a snowflake, but I don’t really like the message (paraphrased) that we are gonna have to accept losing some loved ones.  Might that be reduced under different options available to us.

To me the economics seems to be more important than the health.

Happy to be wrong, just the way I feel.

25 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm not wildly worried about the impact on health for me per'se but in the public interest, I think we should all be encouraged to work from home for a month or two- provided of course we all have jobs where it is possible.

I'd volunteer tomorrow I think. ;) 

My contract finishes 2nd April, so I might be posting even more on here....sorry folks ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gimme Shelton said:

How can I put this,three years ago some people were wishing elderly brexit voters dead,that was monstrous as well.

It was.

Although a general “I wish you were dead!” is a lot different to “there’s a disease that will kill the elderly and that’ll help my investment portfolio”.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I guess my point was that if the NHS wasn’t on its knees due to mahoosive underfunding, what other options might have been open to us?

Call me a snowflake, but I don’t really like the message (paraphrased) that we are gonna have to accept losing some loved ones.  Might that be reduced under different options available to us.

My contract finishes 2nd April, so I might be posting even more on here....sorry folks ?

Drinks first though Fevs

• Robin 1

32 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Totally get where you are coming from and I don’t think you are wrong but I think we are potentially facing something that would challenge even a well-funded health system. And, much as I hate the message that we are going to have to accept many of us losing loved ones, I wonder if that is a rare moment if the Prime Minister telling a truth that we might have to face up to in any case.

Don’t get me wrong - I am no fan at all of the Conservatives and what they have done to the health system and I think there is every reason to be cynical about whether their intentions are in good faith but I think a lot of countries are about to be overwhelmed by this and I don’t know how confident I am that other country’s measures will work any better than ours will.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Totally get where you are coming from and I don’t think you are wrong but I think we are potentially facing something that would challenge even a well-funded health system. And, much as I hate the message that we are going to have to accept many of us losing loved ones, I wonder if that is a rare moment if the Prime Minister telling a truth that we might have to face up to in any case.

Don’t get me wrong - I am no fan at all of the Conservatives and what they have done to the health system and I think there is every reason to be cynical about whether their intentions are in good faith but I think a lot of countries are about to be overwhelmed by this and I don’t know how confident I am that other country’s measures will work any better than ours will.

Can’t argue with any of this, and trying not to make it political either.

I think the test will be how we continue to react to changing scenarios or pro-actively too in light of trends.

2 hours ago, Chappers said:

Must confess that I expected slightly more than no over-70’s on cruises and no school trips for the ‘Delay’ phase. 

I think you will find that during the presentation by experts there was "slightly" more than that.

I could have said more but really can't be arsed.

People who want to panic will panic, others will get on with their lives while paying due regard to the situation.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Mine depends on Joe....and obviously what happens before Tuesday night.

It’s probably (definitely) my anxiety talking but maybe people by and large shouldn’t go? I mean I’m 28, if I get this thing I’ll be fine. But I don’t wanna risk passing it to my Dad, in his 60’s, or whoever else. It just feels like common sense at this stage really. I just have this gut feeling some tit will be at the games with a cough thinking it’s nothing and then uh oh. Better to be safe than sorry, surely. 

• Like 1