Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I did read something online though about regulations that state that if 75% of games played then that can be treated as sufficent to take standings where teams are now. Dunno if that's an FA rule, Premier League, Football League...

75% of 46 is 34.5 games. 75% of 38 is 28.5...All sides in the PL have played 29 games except for the 2 in hand- Aston Villa v Sheffield United and Man City v Arsenal- all clubs in the Championship have exceeded the 75% threshold.

If that is in the regulations, then I would think that should be the way to go if the season is to be abandoned. All clubs sign up to the rules and regulations so should have no come backs if they are applied.

Not sure how it would apply to playoff places though - 3rd place promoted maybe ?

3 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

If that is in the regulations, then I would think that should be the way to go if the season is to be abandoned. All clubs sign up to the rules and regulations so should have no come backs if they are applied.

Not sure how it would apply to playoff places though - 3rd place promoted maybe ?

The regulations themselves don't seem clear- Mike Thornton is a good one to follow on this, on Twitter.

3rd place promoted would be the most sensible option- but then if it's just 5 games,. you could stage them but only them later, behind closed doors...no easy answers tbh- not sure if anyone truly knows yet.

13 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Not sure how they would treat games in hand either.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I did read something online though about regulations that state that if 75% of games played then that can be treated as sufficent to take standings where teams are now. Dunno if that's an FA rule, Premier League, Football League...

75% of 46 is 34.5 games. 75% of 38 is 28.5...All sides in the PL have played 29 games except for the 2 in hand- Aston Villa v Sheffield United and Man City v Arsenal- all clubs in the Championship have exceeded the 75% threshold.

Or a rule by a guy in Preston 😉 

The issue is that this outbreak is going to go on for most of the rest of this year, if not into next year. This current phase is trying to slow down the spread of the virus, so that the health services can cope with the numbers of the sickest cases. Limiting the size of gatherings of people might make a bit of difference but it’s not the only issue. Sitting in your seat at AG is less likely to be a cause of spread compared to cramming into a pub or bar before or after the game, so how long the situation continues with sporting events is unclear. Of course if members of the teams or coaching staff are infectious then that even stops teams playing behind closed doors. That could put a lot of smaller clubs in Leagues 1 and 2 into financial difficulty.

Given all of that, I would suggest the positions of the clubs at present should be taken as their finishing positions with just those in the automatic positions going up taking the place of the equivalent number of clubs at the bottom of the league above. However you can never count against the greed of both Sky and football club owners, so common sense may not prevail.

If the sensible option was followed, it’s unlikely that any more football would be played before next season, and even the start of that may be delayed. It’s not the end of the world and neither will the virus be the end of it either. People just need to stay calm and sensible, wash their hands frequently and properly, self isolate if they display the symptoms of a viral illness, and stop panic buying everything from toilet rolls to eggs. Only a small percentage of people will die, most will be old (over 70)  and this will be very sad for the families affected, but this is not Ebola or SARS which kill 30% of all those infected.

This outbreak will have long lasting effects  on the world, just as others have done in the past. Some may take years to play out, and are unpredictable at this stage, unlike football, which by this time next year should be looking forward to another set of champions, promotions and relegations and probably Euro 2021.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, eardun said:

This (below) was the bit from the Times that the Sky article above mentioned. Yes banning events is also mentioned but I don’t think it necessarily means all events over 500 people will be banned for two years. However, given the experts were saying the peak of the virus here is expected to be end May to mid June, if the season is to be completed, I can only see that taking place Aug-Oct when the previous season would usually have started. Have a break/transfer window after that. You then finish next season later - or shorten like others have said by only playing each team once or splitting the Divisions into North and South regions with play offs afterwards. 

”Police will be able to detain infected people and schools could be forced to stay open under a package of powers being announced next week to tackle the coronavirus pandemic. 
Emergency laws to help to limit the spread of the virus will be introduced after the number of people infected in Britain rose by 200 in 24 hours to 798. The measures, seen by
The Times, will also let councils lower standards in care homes to deal with staff shortages. The legislation, which ministers intend to push through parliament in two weeks, will equip the government to deal with the disease. Ministers believe that the virus will infect the majority of the population, and the laws will stay in place for two years.“

Police have barely got enough resources to deal with current day to day issues.

48 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

For the maths you tally up all the games which is 380 in the EPL and 552 in the Championship.  75% of 380 is 285 which means the EPL is 3 over the target.  For the Championshipthe figure is way over 75% as you say.  

59 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Lawsuits galore if you cancelled the season...

Lawyers on a variety of sides could have a field day.

Can someone explain why the season can’t just be completed behind closed doors? Inconvenience to fans but surely it’s the answer 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Can someone explain why the season can’t just be completed behind closed doors? Inconvenience to fans but surely it’s the answer 

Because whilst players likes Hudson-Odoi and coaches like Arteta test positive, and the aim is to slow the spread, just stoping spectators is of little use in itself.

2 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Because whilst players likes Hudson-Odoi and coaches like Arteta test positive, and the aim is to slow the spread, just stoping spectators is of little use in itself.

Why is getting 30 players in a stadium to play football higher risk than 300 kids going to school? Maybe I’m being dumb but I don’t get it. Stoping spectators is of use as it severely reduces the chances of spread. 

11 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Is this what you want because you told us all that the season would never be suspended or finished, when this thread started? 

Players themselves are not immune to this virus and nor to are their families.
As much as I would be behind playing behind closed doors, I doubt it will happen and that was tried in Italy. We are predicted to be 13 days behind Italy and they can’t cope with the dead now. So I doubt football is top of the agenda in most authorities eyes at the moment. 

• Flames 1
2 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Is this what you want because you told us all that the season would never be suspended or finished, when this thread started? 

Players themselves are not immune to this virus and nor to are their families.
As much as I would be behind playing behind closed doors, I doubt it will happen and that was tried in Italy. We are predicted to be 13 days behind Italy and they can’t cope with the dead now. So I doubt football is top of the agenda in most authorities eyes at the moment. 

I am not interested in arguing or mud throwing especially on a subject where none of us really know what we are talking about. No need to lie though. I said the season would never be cancelled. I didn’t say it wouldn’t be suspended. 

Back to the grown up conversation:

Footballers aren’t immune I agree. But nor are any other workers who have to go to work so what is the difference? 

• Hmmm 1
On 13/03/2020 at 11:34, ChippenhamRed said:

These really are extraordinary times. Sounds silly to say it but the suspension of football is weirdly unsettling. Nothing feels normal at the moment. Football is such a part of the fabric of our society, what on Earth are we going to talk about?!

I feel for the cricket  teams most of their fan base could be considered higher risk due to age and season due to start soon

25 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Footballers aren’t immune I agree. But nor are any other workers who have to go to work so what is the difference? 

Probably because other workers carry on because that’s essential.
Football to you, me and everyone on here football is essential but not as essential as eating, paying bills and general day to day life. 

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Why is getting 30 players in a stadium to play football higher risk than 300 kids going to school? Maybe I’m being dumb but I don’t get it. Stoping spectators is of use as it severely reduces the chances of spread. 

Getting up close and personal in sport is more likely to spread the virus than sitting near someone as long as they take the appropriate precautions.

Closing schools is an interesting one. Children get infected with Coronavirus but all the evidence so far suggests that they aren’t as affected by symptoms, which is almost unlike every other virus that the medical profession has to deal with it. It’s frankly bizarre and unlike my own experience as a paediatrician. Children spreading it amongst themselves therefore seems less of a risk. The issue is keeping them away from their grandparents and other older people who appear to be very susceptible to the worst symptoms.

9 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Probably because other workers carry on because that’s essential.
Football to you, me and everyone on here football is essential but not as essential as eating, paying bills and general day to day life. 

Football is essential to football clubs though and huge business.  

The worst decision would be for the leagues to finish as they are. That surely can't happen. 

If it's top 3 going up from football leagues then there is one point separating 3rd and 7th in league one. 

For going down Tranmere are 3 points behind Wimbledon with a game in hand.

However the leagues are looking, it would look different at the end of the season.

It's either behind closed doors or cancel the whole thing. I can't see how they can put it on hold for long.

2 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Football is essential to football clubs though and huge business.  

And at the moment still being paid. I know I’ve paid for my season tickets so has 15k other so this season is technically paid for. Going forward if this carries on will become an issue. 
Businesses like bars around football clubs will suffer, but they may will do if games are played behind doors. So knock on affects will come into play soon. 

Unless the season is finished fully/properly, there will be legal battles all over the place!

Hope that the authorities do the right thing and allow a resumption when it’s safe to do so, even if this means starting next season later...

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

The worst decision would be for the leagues to finish as they are. That surely can't happen. 

If it's top 3 going up from football leagues then there is one point separating 3rd and 7th in league one. 

For going down Tranmere are 3 points behind Wimbledon with a game in hand.

However the leagues are looking, it would look different at the end of the season.

It's either behind closed doors or cancel the whole thing. I can't see how they can put it on hold for long.

Behind closed doors isn’t a option because you get the melons like in Paris congregating outside just passing it on to all and sundry,the only option is to call it quits now and wipe the season off

53 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

It's more complicated that just 30 players though isn't it. They train together daily along with many coaches, medical staff, dietitians and so on. They travel and stay in hotels, use different clubs training facilities etc. and the clubs and facilities themselves take a lot of people to run and manage.

I'd guess that for one football match there would actually be a few hundred people involved in close contact each week to make it happen - It's not like they could just meet once a week for 90 mins then self isolate the rest of the time. Other workplaces are open yes but people are being encouraged to work from home or isolate if they have symptoms - if you have players training together and half the one squad gets infected over the course of a few weeks you'd end up with every other game cancelled, or the rest of the season being a joke with half the squad off ill every game.

Edited by IAmNick
1 minute ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Behind closed doors isn’t a option because you get the melons like in Paris congregating outside just passing it on to all and sundry,the only option is to call it quits now and wipe the season off

Outside the stadium?

What would be the point in that?