Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport

6 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Roads were busy as usual this morning. I'm working in Thornbury today and there's already plenty of 70+ year olds out and about. Seems to be carry on as normal for the time being, but I sense people are going into work and getting out and about whilst they can, before isolation and closure of shops and facilities becomes inevitable. 

Yeah, seems normal enough in central Bristol- though will have to see a bit later.

Reading online though, saw a virtually empty tube. Suggestions of plenty in West London working from home,. not chancing it. Could be a small sample size, granted.

7_Q47spK?format=jpg&name=small

ETODnTXXgAA2Uhc?format=jpg&name=small

ETODjbqWAAINgvC?format=jpg&name=small

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
3 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

A good friend of mine works as a pharmacist overseeing a robotic pharmacy warehouse. Just last week he was telling me that the robots had started to screw up, mis-dispensing packages, but then not flagging said package for human 4-eyes check. He was unsure whether a system glitch or they had started to become self-aware, and Judgement Day was upon us.

We haven't seen that but. luckily, most issues can be sorted remotely. It's only if we have a hardware failure that we need to attend. I'm sat here watching one running now as it was playing up over the weekend. 

Anything which isn't allocated should go to a bin for 'human eye' check. If that's not working they could have serious problems and have to go to the old 'manual' method which is ok if everyone is in work but, if travel to work is restricted, they will have no chance if it's a big place / hospital.

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yeah, seems normal enough in central Bristol- though will have to see a bit later.

Reading online though, saw a virtually empty tube. Suggestions of plenty in West London working from home,. not chancing it. Could be a small sample size, granted.

I was on the normally crazy busy metropolitan line last week, going to Great Portland St, and it was really very quiet. I agree that home working seems to have kicked in already in a lot of businesses.

55 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Who is working from home by now then?

Clearly some jobs, perhaps even a decent number of jobs if you can't you can't but interested to see how many employers have sent staff to work from home etc, for those jobs that can obviously.

2 weeks ago I had a stomach bug, I offered to work from home so as not to infect anybody else, but was told no as I’d have to give a weeks notice. I therefore went in and a few people had the shits a couple of days later.

Now they want me to work from home this week. Half of us WFH this week, the other half next week.

Just out of spite and pettiness I’m tempted to go in this week and tell them they need to give me more notice. ;) 

Edited by BS2 Red
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

https://footballspotlite.com/stranraers-ryan-stevenson-offers-to-return-wages-to-help-club-during-shutdown/

:clap:

Point is we all have to make sacrifices during these times...wonder if any big earners in the PL especially will follow suit, Championship clubs have it especially acute- but then so in some ways do the bottom 2 divisions.

12 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Yep agreed and to be honest at the time I’d probably consider what my partner had as a “bad” cold rather than flu, but it did last much longer than usual.

Mine unfortunately was flu, like you say bed/sofa ridden for 4-5 days before I could even face stepping outside!

didnt realise the flu jab percentage was as low as that

The sister in-law visited us about 5 weeks ago from the UK. She stayed for about 3 weeks. When here we organized a winery tour which included about 5 wineries and a couple of micro breweries. The trip was a day trip and we were on a mini bus which was full. There was us 3 pomms, 6 x persons from Austria and 2 x Italians. 2 of the girls from Australia were a bit sick. 

2 days after when I got home I started to feel hot/cold and fluey. I went to the quacks and have been on 2 x courses of anti-biotics and still not quite well. I have had this now for over 3 weeks.

it has been confirmed I have a flu virus. I also had the flu jabs this year as well. 

Just sharing this information As the common flu is always around no matter where you are. However if you are run down and in the unlikely hood you do catch the Corona stuff and you already have the flu you will not have much chance of surviving. 

Seems to me they should finish the season behind closed doors and broadcast as much as possible on the TV / Internet.

Sure it will be surreal for the players involved, but the quality coaches should still be able to motivate the players to perform to the expected standard.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

My contract ends on 2nd April.

Can’t see the market taking on anyone new at the mo’.

What do you do Dave, still in the tech/financial sector?

Edited by BS4 on Tour...
6 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Seems to me they should finish the season behind closed doors and broadcast as much as possible on the TV / Internet.

Sure it will be surreal for the players involved, but the quality coaches should still be able to motivate the players to perform to the expected standard.

‘Behind closed doors’ would seriously hamper the training and development of some referees - I’m thinking of the ones who are sent to the Mem to enable them to adapt to “hostile and cauldron-like atmospheres” and experience them for the first time 🤣😂😆😄✌️🍷

• Haha 2
57 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Kick em out.  Just don't send them back here.

So do we know all the facts here or are we just believing any old shit posted on twitter?

2 minutes ago, Gakoe said:

So do we know all the facts here or are we just believing any old shit posted on twitter?

You're interested in facts now?!  It was meant to be ironic.

3 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

This has been recommended by many as a pretty rational and accurate site for updates: 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

I've had this tab left open on my phone for several weeks:

https://infographics.channelnewsasia.com/covid-19/map.html

2 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

I've had this tab left open on my phone for several weeks:

https://infographics.channelnewsasia.com/covid-19/map.html

Cheers - the ‘recovered’ figures have interested me on all sites such as these. I know these sites have been highlighted as being the most accurate etc but not sure how ‘recoveries’ can be measured accurately - and if they are some countries’ recovered figures seem low? Eg, using your link, in the UK 1.4% of those infected have recovered - just doesn’t seem accurate especially when these sites are showing that over 76% of those infected in China have recovered... but we have to rely on any info that is deemed to represent the best sources I suppose ...

6 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Cheers - the ‘recovered’ figures have interested me on all sites such as these. I know these sites have been highlighted as being the most accurate etc but not sure how ‘recoveries’ can be measured accurately - and if they are some countries’ recovered figures seem low? Eg, using your link, in the UK 1.4% of those infected have recovered - just doesn’t seem accurate especially when these sites are showing that over 76% of those infected in China have recovered... but we have to rely on any info that is deemed to represent the best sources I suppose ...

Would it be because many of the people within the UK are still within self isolation periods etc so not 'recovered', whereas China the majority of theirs will have come out of those periods being a few weeks ahead of us

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, City oz said:

The sister in-law visited us about 5 weeks ago from the UK. She stayed for about 3 weeks. When here we organized a winery tour which included about 5 wineries and a couple of micro breweries. The trip was a day trip and we were on a mini bus which was full. There was us 3 pomms, 6 x persons from Austria and 2 x Italians. 2 of the girls from Australia were a bit sick. 

2 days after when I got home I started to feel hot/cold and fluey. I went to the quacks and have been on 2 x courses of anti-biotics and still not quite well. I have had this now for over 3 weeks.

it has been confirmed I have a flu virus. I also had the flu jabs this year as well. 

Just sharing this information As the common flu is always around no matter where you are. However if you are run down and in the unlikely hood you do catch the Corona stuff and you already have the flu you will not have much chance of surviving. 

Drives me mad that - why do quacks still give out anti-biotics for symptoms of a virus?  They do nothing for viruses and over prescribing them makes them ineffective against serious bacterial infections.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, phantom said:

I see all assessments related to benefit claims have been postponed for three months 

Expecting a spike in unemployment perhaps- temporary or otherwise.

Spike in unemployment means things like benefit assessments will become quite a bit lower a priority at this time, and when that happens- yep streamlining, priorities etc.

27 minutes ago, Nibor said:

You're interested in facts now?!  It was meant to be ironic.

Ahh irony. Very good.

Hey, I was just reminding you not to believe everything you read. But you know that already right. 👍

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

These are pretty selective photos. I just spent a week in London for work. Tubes were busy as usual, Paddington was busy. Heathrow T5 yesterday wasn't packed to the rafters but was pretty busy. Plane was full. 

Could have taken half a dozen photos myself that showed a totally different outlook than what you've put here from the papers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

These are pretty selective photos. I just spent a week in London for work. Tubes were busy as usual, Paddington was busy. Heathrow T5 yesterday wasn't packed to the rafters but was pretty busy. Plane was full. 

Could have taken half a dozen photos myself that showed a totally different outlook than what you've put here from the papers.

Okay thanks, that brings a bit more balance.

Still I'm not so certain...a number of those were outside London too it's worth remembering.

Secondly, just read that footfall on the tube last week was down 19%. If true it does suggest a fair few are taking up/requesting the work from home option where possible.

11 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Guessing you were on the BA through Nassau: any word or speculation as to what BA might be doing with that route?

10 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Precisely.

He was the outspoken 'Star', read boorish oaf, who interrupted incessantly on last week's Question Time.

As you say, this paid-up Labour Party member seemed unable to state what should be done, but just constantly criticised what was being done by the current Government.

Interestingly, both the Labour and SNP panellists were openly supportive of the Conservative actions thus far.  

See also Corbyn announcing he's so upset with Johnson's actions he'll be writing to him to ask what emergency measures his Health Secretary will be announcing Tuesday ? (As if the PM wasn't busy enough at the moment.)

As commentators pointed out, rather than shooting his mouth off on TV and social media Corbyn might simply have asked his Shadow Health Secretary who in a welcome cross-party, emergency effort helped Government draft the emergency measures to be announced.

Or John McDonald this morning proselytising the Government : " ...must listen to the people," this from a senior party member who concluded that Labour's utterly disastrous election resulted from them, er, not listening to the people. What would he have us do, stockpile bog-rolls in case 70's terrace projectiles make a comeback?

Those seeking political gain from this extraordinary global crisis should never be given the time of day once it passes (as it will.)

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

See also Corbyn announcing he's so upset with Johnson's actions he'll be writing to him to ask what emergency measures his Health Secretary will be announcing Tuesday ? (As if the PM wasn't busy enough at the moment.)

As commentators pointed out, rather than shooting his mouth off on TV and social media Corbyn might simply have asked his Shadow Health Secretary who in a welcome cross-party, emergency effort helped Government draft the emergency measures to be announced.

Or John McDonald this morning proselytising the Government : " ...must listen to the people," this from a senior party member who concluded that Labour's utterly disastrous election resulted from them, er, not listening to the people. What would he have us do, stockpile bog-rolls in case 70's terrace projectiles make a comeback?

Those seeking political gain from this extraordinary global crisis should never be given the time of day once it passes (as it will.)

Not to go party political but there are a lot of big voids here- nobody's fault as such, but it does show how unprepared we are as a nation.

• Mass layoffs- what happens to rent and mortgages?
  • Mass unemployment- can SSP or benefits cover the above?
  • Or even cost of living verbatim.
  • Will the DWP be able to administer all of the above?

Lot of unanswered questions and that's just a few...fear big cracks may develop but we'll see.

What I do agree with you on is that cross-party efforts should well and truly be required.

• Like 1