Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport

7 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

As well as asking for public money to prop up his business, Branson is also telling his staff to go without pay for eight weeks.

Sell your tropical island, you bearded ****, and pay them half money at least

And pay some taxes while he's at it

• Like 4
9 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

As well as asking for public money to prop up his business, Branson is also telling his staff to go without pay for eight weeks.

No surprises from the bearded tax fraudster, given that's how he made his money, but there are other ways Governments can help. It's only in the past week both EU and FAA acceded to airline requests to cease having to fly empty planes. My nephew is a long haul Virgin pilot and he's been saying for many weeks how pointless it's been flying planes with cargo only.

Transport however has to be an exception, it'll be required once this crisis is over, is essential infrastructure even if in private ownership, so why not have Governments buy back cheaply what is a necessary public service?

• Like 2

I thought Brexit might break my company, but it looks like it might be Covid-19.

60% of our income at present comes from one huge project in Munich. Germany has just closed its borders and I don't know when we can complete or what the client is going to do. 

Worrying times.

• Sad 7
13 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

No surprises from the bearded tax fraudster, given that's how he made his money, but there are other ways Governments can help. It's only in the past week both EU and FAA acceded to airline requests to cease having to fly empty planes. My nephew is a long haul Virgin pilot and he's been saying for many weeks how pointless it's been flying planes with cargo only.

Transport however has to be an exception, it'll be required once this crisis is over, is essential infrastructure even if in private ownership, so why not have Governments buy back cheaply what is a necessary public service?

Seems not a bad idea- would that be just planes or go for other forms of public transport too...?

20 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Seems not a bad idea- would that be just planes or go for other forms of public transport too...?

I think it'd make more sense to pump monies into taking back / partner rail operations ( should they seek support) rather than the folly of HS2. This should not however be a bail out, as requested by Fly-Be.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

I think it'd make more sense to pump monies into taking back / partner rail operations ( should they seek support) rather than the folly of HS2. This should not however be a bail out, as requested by Fly-Be.

Yeah, that's a reasonable quid pro quo tbh- money in as is necessary probably but we get something back on it, important infrastructure...definitely not a bailout.

Boris Johnson press conference at 4.45pm apparently. I'm not a huge Tory fan but this feels apolitical, our leader will show the way (hopefully).

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

Of he is feeling the pinch, he could always just sure the NHS again.

Latest measures:

- Now self isolate for 14 days if anyone in house has symptoms

- The self isolation at the end of this week will be for 12 weeks for the elderly

- Police and ambulance not supporting large gatherings

- Everyone if possible to work from home, avoid isolated places like pubs and restaurants 

- Avoid non essential travel and contact

Noticably:

- No school closures

- No ban on pubs etc, self regulating

- No ban on mass gatherings- just won’t be policed

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Latest measures:

- The self isolation at the end of this week will be for 12 weeks for the elderly

- Everyone if possible to work from home, avoid isolated places like pubs and restaurants 

Noticably:

- No school closures

Like with the sports events, the govt are putting the onus on the populous. Seems a bit odd...

17 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Latest measures:

Noticably:

- No school closures

They have said 'avoid pubs, clubs and theatres'.

9 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I suppose they want a mass gathering to help their "cause" as well....

Got to love them though haven't you - on the climate crisis "we must listen to the scientists and experts", now on this situation the Government are actually listening to the scientists and experts and that ain't good enough for them.

Shame they can't just self isolate themselves, as this "protest" is helping nobody whatsoever imo.

4 hours ago, pillred said:

Won us the war though didn't it.

Might have been better options though, like for the top brass to have a better plan (or a plan at all).  Today reminds me of the ‘lions led by donkeys’ quote.

Edited by RumRed
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

I thought Brexit might break my company, but it looks like it might be Covid-19.

60% of our income at present comes from one huge project in Munich. Germany has just closed its borders and I don't know when we can complete or what the client is going to do. 

Worrying times.

Worrying times for us all, Robbo.

Hope you and your team can see this out, successfully.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, wood_red said:

I suppose they want a mass gathering to help their "cause" as well....

Got to love them though haven't you - on the climate crisis "we must listen to the scientists and experts", now on this situation the Government are actually listening to the scientists and experts and that ain't good enough for them.

Shame they can't just self isolate themselves, as this "protest" is helping nobody whatsoever imo.

Slight flaw is that the Italians have been warning us to act quickly for weeks, and the WHO advice is about fast action, testing and social distancing. We seem to have woken up too late, and the NHS will shortly be swamped. 

1 hour ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Did I dream that we, as a country, are now only testing people ill enough to show up at hospital?

And so, presumably, only counting them in the numbers too??

And at the same time as the World Health Organisation are stressing test, test, test. I believe S Korea have tested something like 1/4 million people. 

58 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Latest measures:

Noticably:

- No school closures

Thought the title of the other thread was ‘changing stance’, as in Boris’s backtrack from “accept deaths” to “we are trying to save lives”.  Got the tone of his message horribly wrong on Thursday.

Still all very woolly and lacking in commitment to support the people and businesses.  You can keep your pub open, but we’ve told everyone to stay in, rather than tell you to close it....so you’ve no compensation claim!!!