IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

3 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

What's your basis for it being more contagious? To be clear, I am not saying you are wrong but that I haven't seen this anywhere and the things I had read had suggested that, at the moment, it still was not clear exactly how contagious it is?  Clearly a lack of vaccine is a substantial issue which means people who are not vulnerable to most strains of flu due to vaccines are still vulnerable to this but I was not aware there was evidence of it being more contagious?

It has an R-0 rating of about 2.0, meaning about 1 in 5 people that come into contact with someone with the virus will catch it. Flu is more like 1 in 8 people.

On 28/02/2020 at 18:03, pillred said:

The one I don't get is the 60% could get infected... China has peaked and it infected 0.0014 % of their population. Albeit with harsher measures to stop the spread. For 60 % to get infected everyone would need to be sneezing in there hands and then high fiving everyone they see! 

Edited by tunnie12345
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

It has an R-0 rating of about 2.0, meaning about 1 in 5 people that come into contact with someone with the virus will catch it. Flu is more like 1 in 8 people.

I though the R-0 rating was the average number of people who would catch the virus from a single person? i.e. a R-0 of two means one person will on average infect two more - I'm not sure how that translates into what you've written, unless you're somehow using the average number of people someone comes in contact with?

Edited by IAmNick

1 hour ago, mozo said:

It has been reported that one bloke who had worked in Finzels Reach has been diagnosed with it. They're giving his old office a Spring clean for good measure. 

1 hour ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I saw something about that earlier but the report said he had already left the country.

https://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/2020-03-02/hinkley-point-c-deep-cleaned-after-bristol-worker-tests-positive-for-coronavirus/

Australia prepare for 'inevitable' Olympic games cancellation

AFL cancel game in China

Premier League clubs cancel pre-season games down-under - Manyoo, Spurs and Arsenal cancel arranged games in Australia.

Use of armed forces to quarantine areas 'not ruled out'

Massive runs on supermarkets leave shelves empty around the country.

And we only have had one death yet.

When you have lunatic Christians in Korea hiding it, and stupid Muslims in religious sites licking the same stone one after each other, and the Indonesian President stating 'Allah will stop the virus from entering our country' - you have to wonder if we actually deserve all we get.

Religion - killing more people than anything else in the history of mankind........

Edited by SX227
  • Like 9

14 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

He had but he got symptoms a day or two after leaving - so he could have been infecting people for a couple of weeks beforehand...

The update https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/edf-energy-issue-update-following-3908105 

Says he didn't pose an infection risk whilst in bristol. So alls good ?

Tried to buy some hand steriliser over the weekend everywhere was sold out ? 

Edited by Sturny

14 hours ago, SX227 said:

AFL cancel game in China

Premier League clubs cancel pre-season games down-under - Manyoo, Spurs and Arsenal cancel arranged games in Australia.

When you have lunatic Christians in Korea hiding it, and stupid Muslims in religious sites licking the same stone one after each other, and the Indonesian President stating 'Allah will stop the virus from entering our country' - you have to wonder if we actually deserve all we get.

Religion - killing more people than anything else in the history of mankind........

Haven't noticed any massive runs on supermarkets, though statements like that certainly won't help. Must admit have been surprised there hasn't, usually in pill all it takes is a bank holiday with the shops closed for one day to see the shelves empty of bread milk etc.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SX227 said:

AFL cancel game in China

Hmm not sure where you got that idea from

As COVID-19 continues to spread across the world, it seems only a matter of time before it starts to really infect Western populations on a mass scale.  There is talk of cancelling or delaying the Olympics and Euro 2020 and panic seems to be rising.

What are your thoughts?  Are you worried, or do you think it is overblown and we will all be fine?

Personally I sit somewhere in the middle of the "PANIC!!!" and "Meh nothing to worry about".  I think it sounds like this virus has the potential to kill a lot of older people and people with underlying health issues.  And I don't think we are going to be able to stop it spreading, no matter how many times we sing Happy Birthday while washing our hands.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

As COVID-19 continues to spread across the world, it seems only a matter of time before it starts to really infect Western populations on a mass scale.  There is talk of cancelling or delaying the Olympics and Euro 2020 and panic seems to be rising.

What are your thoughts?  Are you worried, or do you think it is overblown and we will all be fine?

Personally I sit somewhere in the middle of the "PANIC!!!" and "Meh nothing to worry about".  I think it sounds like this virus has the potential to kill a lot of older people and people with underlying health issues.  And I don't think we are going to be able to stop it spreading, no matter how many times we sing Happy Birthday while washing our hands.

Work on a site with c. 8000 people in office at some points, so I'm a tad worried about it to be honest

I have no confidence in our ability to contain it and our already over stretched NHS to deal with it. 

Can't help but feel we should be building temporary hospitals for this purpose. 

18 minutes ago, J-mat said:

Work on a site with c. 8000 people in office at some points, so I'm a tad worried about it to be honest

I have no confidence in our ability to contain it and our already over stretched NHS to deal with it. 

Can't help but feel we should be building temporary hospitals for this purpose. 

A coronavirus outbreak is going to rip through the place I work.  The company I work for has recently implemented a very strict sickness policy based on Bradford Factor scores.  Basically if you are off sick just a few times in a year, you get hammered.  This has resulted in people being terrified to take any sick time and so the entire office is constantly full of sneezing, coughing and occasionally puking people.  

They also gave us laptops at the start of the year so that people can work from home if necessary.  But they also demand that people pre-book any work from home time and so it has made zero difference to the amount of disease I am surrounded by.

Last Thursday night/Friday morning, I had a bout of diarrhoea, I didn’t feel great but figured I was just about well enough to work.  We had been told the day before that we could work from home if we wanted because of Greta Thunberg coming to Bristol and so I decided to work from home.  I soon received some messages telling me that I either had to take the day as sick, or come into the office.  WFH approval was only given for people who drive in and as I walk I was not allowed to do it.  I said that I didn’t want to spread the bug I had but still had to make a choice between a sick day or coming into the office.  So I went in.  Two people were off Monday with stomach upsets, I have no idea if they caught it from me, but it seems likely.

So yeah, I’m dead if a deadly disease strikes Bristol, we will all be forced into a confined office to spread it amongst ourselves.  None of the above applies to the managers of course, they all work from home whenever they feel like it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

I believe temoperatures above 25 degrees kill it off, so just hoping for a decent summer!

That was something Trump said, but opinions seems to be mixed on whether hot weather will slow it down.

Even if a hot summer slows it, it may come back for the winter.  The 1918 flu died down in the summer months, before returning to kill more people than ever in October.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BS2 Red said:

A coronavirus outbreak is going to rip through the place I work.  The company I work for has recently implemented a very strict sickness policy based on Bradford Factor scores.  Basically if you are off sick just a few times in a year, you get hammered.  This has resulted in people being terrified to take any sick time and so the entire office is constantly full of sneezing, coughing and occasionally puking people.  

They also gave us laptops at the start of the year so that people can work from home if necessary.  But they also demand that people pre-book any work from home time and so it has made zero difference to the amount of disease I am surrounded by.

Last Thursday night/Friday morning, I had a bout of diarrhoea, I didn’t feel great but figured I was just about well enough to work.  We had been told the day before that we could work from home if we wanted because of Greta Thunberg coming to Bristol and so I decided to work from home.  I soon received some messages telling me that I either had to take the day as sick, or come into the office.  WFH approval was only given for people who drive in and as I walk I was not allowed to do it.  I said that I didn’t want to spread the bug I had but still had to make a choice between a sick day or coming into the office.  So I went in.  Two people were off Monday with stomach upsets, I have no idea if they caught it from me, but it seems likely.

So yeah, I’m dead if a deadly disease strikes Bristol, we will all be forced into a confined office to spread it amongst ourselves.  None of the above applies to the managers of course, they all work from home whenever they feel like it.

I used to work in a large plc where there were some people who were expected to be in the office and others who had a lot more freedom.  What tended to happen was that every Friday you'd get a flurry of emails from the people in the latter group who were "working from home" at 9am, they'd be uncontactable all day and then you'd see another email or two at sort of 4:30 just to bookend the day nicely so that nobody thought they were skiving.  Then you'd notice on their facebook they were somehow on a weekend away at 5pm having miraculously travelled six hours in a few short minutes...  In hindsight that company had a really shitty culture which was the real problem but that sort of thing really turned me off letting people work from home. 

It took me a while to come around to letting people work more flexibly where I'm at now, but when it goes hand in hand with a decent culture it really does work.  People have coughs and colds they just work from home and I don't lose half the team to man flu over the next week.  People need to go to an appointment, want some quiet desk time to do something or want to skive off early on a Friday that's fine, but if we need someone to fix something in the evening that's also fine.  It's all co-ordinated in a messenger app, people write stuff down and use teleconf and desktop sharing software if they need to and it seems to work.  I actually find myself telling people to work from home fairly often and when we have things like coronavirus and our clients ask what the disaster recovery / business continuity plans are our answer is "we can operate fully remotely on zero notice".  Saves a lot of ball ache.

Edited by Nibor
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, richwwtk said:

I believe temoperatures above 25 degrees kill it off, so just hoping for a decent summer!

Don't think that's true. There are hundreds of cases in Singapore where the temperature is above that year-round.

I think it's something we should be trying our best to control. It has the same virulence as the "Spanish Flu" which killed millions of people worldwide in the wake of WWI. It was deadlier than the war that preceded it, in fact.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, BS2 Red said:

I am lucky to have a pretty relaxed business (the government) when it comes to sickness and WFH.

We will however struggled to function with 8000 people on the secure server... 

I really don't think the true nature of this problem has hit home with Boris et al yet. 

Interesting note for the Olympics, they can be delayed to later this year but cannot be postponed until say next summer, Tokyo loses the right to host it if its not hosted this year, for a project thats taken 10 billion to complete thats a heck of a pressure situation. However the last time Tokyo hosted the Olympics they were hosted in October because of the temperature in the country.

38 minutes ago, Nibor said:

I used to work in a large plc where there were some people who were expected to be in the office and others who had a lot more freedom.  What tended to happen was that every Friday you'd get a flurry of emails from the people in the latter group who were "working from home" at 9am, they'd be uncontactable all day and then you'd see another email or two at sort of 4:30 just to bookend the day nicely so that nobody thought they were skiving.  Then you'd notice on their facebook they were somehow on a weekend away at 5pm having miraculously travelled six hours in a few short minutes...  In hindsight that company had a really shitty culture which was the real problem but that sort of thing really turned me off letting people work from home. 

It took me a while to come around to letting people work more flexibly where I'm at now, but when it goes hand in hand with a decent culture it really does work.  People have coughs and colds they just work from home and I don't lose half the team to man flu over the next week.  People need to go to an appointment, want some quiet desk time to do something or want to skive off early on a Friday that's fine, but if we need someone to fix something in the evening that's also fine.  It's all co-ordinated in a messenger app, people write stuff down and use teleconf and desktop sharing software if they need to and it seems to work.  I actually find myself telling people to work from home fairly often and when we have things like coronavirus and our clients ask what the disaster recovery / business continuity plans are our answer is "we can operate fully remotely on zero notice".  Saves a lot of ball ache.

Yeah a lot of it will come down to individual attitudes.  People just assume that WFH means a person is dossing around, but the few times that I have done it I have found I have done far more work as there are less people distracting me.  Plus I am more paranoid that people will be thinking I am on a jolly.

What gets me with my workplace is that they keep talking about their flexible working and the benefits of working from home.  And then when it comes down to it, they place restrictions on who can and can’t do it.  It’s crazy that it is ok to work from home because of a fear of bad traffic, but it is not ok to work from home if somebody has an illness they don’t want to pass on.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, J-mat said:

I am lucky to have a pretty relaxed business (the government) when it comes to sickness and WFH.

I really don't think the true nature of this problem has hit home with Boris et al yet. 

Of course it hasn't. Up until a couple of days ago they seemed to think that ignoring it and hoping it would go away was the way to go.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, J-mat said:

Totally agree he was going around yesterday shaking hands with people as if to say carry on regardless. 

4 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

I think i'm the same. I was in the "meh, this is overblown" category and I still think it will be all forgotten in a few weeks (or at least wont be dominating the media)

That said, we've had two people turn up to work who have recently been to North Italy just before it hit the news and another come back from Helsinki on Monday. We also work in an environment with lots of products shipped in and out from around the world, and lots of eastern european workers coming and going from across the continent so that chances of it coming in are probably higher than a typical office job. I've got a couple of relatives who are generally unwell already so I wouldn't want to potentially catch something and passing it on before I even realise I've got it.

I'm certainly not in panic mode, I'll be gutted if Glastonbury and the Euro's get cancelled

14 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I think i'm the same. I was in the "meh, this is overblown" category and I still think it will be all forgotten in a few weeks (or at least wont be dominating the media)

That said, we've had two people turn up to work who have recently been to North Italy just before it hit the news and another come back from Helsinki on Monday. We also work in an environment with lots of products shipped in and out from around the world, and lots of eastern european workers coming and going from across the continent so that chances of it coming in are probably higher than a typical office job. I've got a couple of relatives who are generally unwell already so I wouldn't want to potentially catch something and passing it on before I even realise I've got it.

I'm certainly not in panic mode, I'll be gutted if Glastonbury and the Euro's get cancelled

The risk to the elderly and people with underlying conditions is what has made me stop thinking it is overhyped nonsense.  I was talking with my uncle and my grandmother on Monday and he was joking with her that she’d be the first one to go.  It was all lighthearted but made me realise that although I will probably be fine, my older relatives may not be.  I don’t have many elderly relatives left, so this disease is worrying.

31 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Points West earlier had a list of events that could be cancelled, Bath half-marathon, Cheltenham, Badminton etc. but no mention al all of 26,000 people gathering in one place in BS3 on Saturday!

What about the 500,000 people in BS7 the week after?

• Haha 1