IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

16 minutes ago, RedM said:

It is very hard to keep track, and yes people will find loop holes if they are desperate/determined enough. I know some shops try to keep the items off sale to allow just enough time for the person to leave the store, and hopefully someone else will grab the item before they return.

It’s all a game, just not a fun one. 

I think as someone pointed out earlier, situations like we are presently facing show not only the very best but also the very worst in people.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Estimation based on knowledge rather than a guess I would say - a guesstimate maybe.

As soon as they can roll out the testing to find out who has had the virus we'll have a better grip on it.

Not sure about the first sentence. Different countries are approaching it in so many different ways I don't really know how any estimate would be made. Some (like us so far) only test when someone gets to hospital. Others when people have symptoms. Others when they have the testing kits. And what the trial in Italy showed, when they tested a whole population, was that more than half the people who have the virus show no symptoms.

So, certainly feels like understanding who's had the virus will help with the numbers. But what would be even better would be testing not who's had it, but who's got it. That seems to be how S Korea have managed it with relative success, and the town in Italy - despite being close to the epicentre there - managed to reduce new cases to zero.

Government messaging has been a mess. They've said we're aiming for herd immunity then rolled back from that. They've said they're stopping testing under most circumstances and now they've said they're ramping up. They said that all over 70s should self-isolate, then they said that wasn't the plan, then they said... I'm actually not sure anymore. 

Government policy has been a mess. First they advised we should just wash our hands, then that we need to start social distancing, then they ramped it up to say it's critically important to social distance, and really critically important if you live in London, but they've left all bars and restaurants open when we know from other countires that they'll be closing them soon... same approach with schools. All the time those who are infected are infecting others and we face the likely prospect of the NHS being overwhelmed. They should be shutting down everything now - we need to push back the tidal wave of critical cases that are coming as far as possible whilst we increase our capacity and capability to cope. Secure the maximum possible protective equipment, increase our capacity to test, build and buy as many ventillators as possible and hope that warmer weather might slow down the virus's advance. 

We expect to be overwhelmed, yet we're not doing everything in our power to limit the chaos!

Both by their words and their deeds, the government has failed to project calm and a sense of control. People are panic buying and it's left to the supermarkets to try and control it. Sterling is tanking vs the Euro and the Dollar as the international money markets pass their judgement on the steps being taken by UK PLC.

I've seen it said higher up the thread that those criticising the government are just revealing their political biases. I have to say I think the opposite. Those that are defending the government at the moment are revealing and relying upon their biases. This may not be a time for political point scoring, but it's a very different thing and entirely to be expected that people will express their anger at lethal political incompetence.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 3

18 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Seems a naively low figure to me.  To say 0.08% of the population has had it when I personally know 4 people that have had it and a fair few celebs have had it doesn’t seem right. 

But you're just basing that on your personal experience. I could just as easily say that because I don't know a single person who has had it, that the 0.08% is too high. 

11 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Government briefing this morning stressing that there is "zero prospect" of a London lockdown. Does anyone else get a feeling that means it's coming, but they just want to avoid what happened in Italy when word got out and everyone fled from Milan to different parts of the country.

Yep. Based on their performance so far it means it'll be announced before the week is out.

And from the way people are behaving, it's clear that barely anyone trusts a word that comes out of the collective mouth.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

But you're just basing that on your personal experience. I could just as easily say that because I don't know a single person who has had it, that the 0.08% is too high. 

I am basing it on the probability of me knowing 4 people that have had it if only 0.08% of the country has had it.  

Doesnt make sense.  

29 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

I think as someone pointed out earlier, situations like we are presently facing show not only the very best but also the very worst in people.

Yup, that’s exactly right. The selfishness of some people has shocked and saddened me. 

Oh, and I don’t know for certain why the Sainsbury’s staff are wearing body cams as mentioned earlier, but would hazard a guess that’s its the amount of abuse they are getting from customers. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Yep. Based on their performance so far it means it'll be announced before the week is out.

And from the way people are behaving, it's clear that barely anyone trusts a word that comes out of the collective mouth.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of our government, I suppose at least one consolation is that we don't have Trump in charge. If ever there is a man worse able to manage the situation, and if ever there is a worse strategy for dealing with it, I can't imagine.

Interesting perspective from the US here of the contrast with Merkel. Now I don't always agree with her policies, but she is a leader - something in very short supply at the moment.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/03/angela-merkel-nails-coronavirus-speech-unlike-trump.html

Edited by italian dave
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Whatever the rights and wrongs of our government, I suppose at least one consolation is that we don't have Trump in charge. If ever there is a man worse able to manage the situation, and if ever there is a worse strategy for dealing with it, I can't imagine.

Interesting perspective from the US here of the contract with Merkel. Now I don't always agree with her policies, but she is a leader - something in very short supply at the moment.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/03/angela-merkel-nails-coronavirus-speech-unlike-trump.html

Wish people had higher expectations than “at least we don’t have trump”. Understand some people want to be more positive but we’re partly in this mess because of it.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

TFL have cut tube trains, I’m not in London but going by what my friend has text that the tube is now busy and people are now bunching up on trains and on platforms.

He thinks this isn’t a good idea for social distancing gone out of the window. 

TFL workers, often ignored as being front line similar to police/NHS have bore the brunt of the virus. Apparently staffing numbers are the reason trains have been cut.

5 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

TFL have cut tube trains, I’m not in London but going by what my friend has text that the tube is now busy and people are now bunching up on trains and on platforms.

Most of the train companies are doing the same, although in my part of the country at least they've doubled the number of carriages so there's no net loss in number of seats. 

• Admin
5 minutes ago, Odysseus said:

TFL workers, often ignored as being front line similar to police/NHS have bore the brunt of the virus. Apparently staffing numbers are the reason trains have been cut.

They are taking out the stations that due to safety need the most staff, to enable other stations to keep operating.

3 minutes ago, Odysseus said:

I agree but full service yesterday, and surely we should be keeping people apart. London Mayor has said services are running for frontline people and this is not going to help there health.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

I immediately thought of this when they said buses in Bristol were going to a less frequent service, everyone is getting shoved onto fewer buses. Not everyone can work at home. Not everyone has a car to use. 

2 minutes ago, RedM said:

I immediately thought of this when they said buses in Bristol were going to a less frequent service, everyone is getting shoved onto fewer buses. Not everyone can work at home. Not everyone has a car to use. 

Also Congestion charge not being dropped so in your car on your own, you are social distancing but being penalised. 
London Mayor wants social distancing but isn’t prepared to run the transport for it. Seems all transport companies at the first chance they get cut services to save money and endanger people, but will be asking for bailouts. Can’t have it both ways.

Full service one day running to limited/Sunday service overnight.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

.....But you'll have very wet feet..which you probably will notice.

Oh! I don’t know RRH,my mate was so pissed one Saturday night,he unbuttoned his waistcoat,pulled out his tie,and pissed himself,tucked his tie back inside,did his buttons up and walked on like nothing was wrong.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

I agree but full service yesterday, and surely we should be keeping people apart. London Mayor has said services are running for frontline people and this is not going to help there health.

I agree with you too, some Londoners are walking 2 hours to work to avoid the tubes others are still going to bars/cafes. London faces severe issues from the amount of people who work low skilled jobs who can’t afford to live in zone 2 or drive. Maybe they should be shut for certain workers. 

The number of people who have died after contracting coronavirus in the UK has risen to 137.

It comes after NHS England confirmed 29 more people in England had died in the past 24 hours.

The latest deaths were people aged between 47 and 96 years old and all had underlying health conditions.