IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

1 hour ago, Sturny said:

Well yes it has, it could've be much much worse if they didn't quarantine as soon as they did. Same goes for Wuhan in China, it's the only reason it's stabilised over there.

Since Italy's average age is higher than most paces it made sense. 

I recommend watching this doctor, he gives you an idea of how important some measures are:

I’ve been watching this guys daily updates for a couple of weeks now, very informative although often it can make for worrying viewing especially as he is a doctor (therefore less likely to be prone to exaggerate the seriousness of this virus). One very important thing he mentioned today was regarding the low death rate in South Korea, which boils down to the fact that they have tested more people in that country than they have in the UK, USA and Italy combined.

Effectively, the more people you test, the more positive results you find, the higher the number of victims but the percentage of those actually dying drops dramatically. In South Korea’s case it’s below 1%, which is still scary especially if you have relatives with health conditions or you suffer yourself, however it’s better the 3.6% estimation made by the WHO.

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan

31 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

If you are healthy you are not going to die. A blanket quarantine is not the way to go here. We can agree on one thing only today it seems; our blind love...

...for Bristol City.

Maybe not, but you can carry the virus undetected and pass on to someone who might die?

I’m not worried at all for my sake, had flu at Xmas and survived just fine after a week of isolation (might even have been this!) but I’ve got vulnerable people in my family that I wouldn’t want to pass on to so sensible precautions are wise.

Im fairly with you though, I’m not going full panic mode and locking myself indoors. I’ll still live my life but with a little more attention to hygiene than maybe I would have

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, headhunter said:

OK, 319 out of 20000 is 1.6% 

So, if that infection rate is applied to the whole UK population of 60 MILLION then 960k are going to get it. If you apply a mortality rate of 1% then 9600 will sadly die but that is pretty much on a par with the number of deaths from various strains of influenza each year and this is largely unreported.

Spot on :clap:

52 minutes ago, phantom said:

There's VERY good reason why these checks are not in place and not required, sadly common sense has massively gone out of the window due to the constant bombardment of updates on the virus. 

Sky were almost tweeting hourly every time another case was found yesterday 

At present 319 cases CONFIRMED out of a population of 67 MILLION in the UK 

Assume people realise that you are more likely to win the lottery 

No personal offence to LB above but from reading the above you had NO CHANCE of catching the virus but due to the hysteria created by the press it made you doubt yourself. THIS is why there is so much widespread panic about 

My neighbour is a doctor and he tells me it’s not that easy to catch anyway, it’s hardly prolific at the moment is it? Pneumonia is rough and always takes out a good few oldies every week anyway.  In three weeks the schools close anyway for a few weeks as do most colleges and universities I think? Good time to assess the situation better I guess. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, headhunter said:

OK, 319 out of 20000 is 1.6% 

So, if that infection rate is applied to the whole UK population of 60 MILLION then 960k are going to get it. If you apply a mortality rate of 1% then 9600 will sadly die but that is pretty much on a par with the number of deaths from various strains of influenza each year and this is largely unreported.

Seems that way;

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-02-06/how-does-the-wuhan-coronavirus-compare-to-seasonal-flu/

• Admin
58 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

Again.....skewing facts by using unrelated figures.  Whilst it's not incorrect to say 319 cases confirmed out of a population of 67 million, the more accurate description of the fact is that it's actually 319 cases confirmed out of approximately 20,000 people tested.  It's like saying that if you were to hold a poll on here about whether you wanted Rovers to go bust and 100% of 50 voters said yes, then the Rovers fans would be able to say "yeah, but it's only 50 people out of 67 million in this country - everyone else obviously loves us"! 

You're basically applying gas logic to your argument!

So only 319 people are infected

The number who think they have it or are being tested is irrelevant.

Let's deal in FACTS

2 hours ago, reddoc said:

In a few weeks there'll be little else to talk about

you are forgetting Brexit talks, those alledged nasty folk in Iran, North Korea, Russia and theres always the Goverment and the Royals to fall back on

3 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Some people - not just the owners of the handwash and shit-ticket factory - are going to make an absolute fortune out of this.

Some probably have already.

Maybe, but they will have lean few months after when the horders will be using up their stashes

50 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Maybe not, but you can carry the virus undetected and pass on to someone who might die?

I’m not worried at all for my sake, had flu at Xmas and survived just fine after a week of isolation (might even have been this!) but I’ve got vulnerable people in my family that I wouldn’t want to pass on to so sensible precautions are wise.

Im fairly with you though, I’m not going full panic mode and locking myself indoors. I’ll still live my life but with a little more attention to hygiene than maybe I would have

This is true but the sad reality is sensible precautions against flu, norovirus etc. are always wise. At the moment, the consensus appears to be this is more severe than standard flu but very possibly less severe than Spanish Flu. It is also particularly frightening due to the inability to vaccinate vulnerable people against it. I very much think paying more attention to hygiene and sensible precautions is the way to go here.

Edited by LondonBristolian
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

So only 319 people are infected

The number who think they have it or are being tested is irrelevant.

Let's deal in FACTS

Absolutely.  

My point was more that to reduce it to 300 out of 67m is very dismissive.  

The sensible approach is to be cautious, but not worried; but also not complacent.  Seems to me that there seems to be two extremes of views and very little in-between.  We're either all going to die, or no-one is going to be a risk!

• Like 1

Germany are encouraging people to work from home and minimise travel and are recommending cancellation of any events of 1000 or more.

Regardless of your views of the risk, I think it is sensible to brace yourself for the possibility of the same restrictions happening here. I'm massively starting to regret booking a train and hotel in Nottingham and a ticket for Ash at Rock City on the day of the Forest game...

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

Maybe, but they will have lean few months after when the horders will be using up their stashes

If our play off chances go down to the wire City fans will have used up their stashes.

19 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

Absolutely.  

My point was more that to reduce it to 300 out of 67m is very dismissive.  

The sensible approach is to be cautious, but not worried; but also not complacent.  Seems to me that there seems to be two extremes of views and very little in-between.  We're either all going to die, or no-one is going to be a risk!

I don't see anyone on here saying we're all going to die or heard anybody say that...

Edited by Sturny

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

That's a "choice" that has and will continue to result in people dying. Or, we could minimise cases and deaths by taking some pretty simple measures that would inconvenience people's lives for a few weeks. It appears to be a fairly straightforward choice to me. I accept it is possible that the virus simply fizzles out and the number of cases drops off, however my view would be why take the chance? 

But it's not that simple.  We knowingly accept increased risks all of the time for the sake of convenience, not least every time we drive a car, or go out in winter (since normal flu kills hundreds of thousands each year).  The reason that strong measures made sense in China and Italy is that, for whatever reason, localised outbreaks got out of hand  It's a very different situation here, where we have a handful of cases scattered all across the country.

16 minutes ago, mozo said:

Only 319 have been diagnosed with infection. 

319 only detected.

How many people are in self isolation and not in the figures. 

I personally think we will never know the true number of how many people were infected, for 80% of people get mild conditions so will not bother the doctor or hospital.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, red panda said:

But it's not that simple.  We knowingly accept increased risks all of the time for the sake of convenience, not least every time we drive a car, or go out in winter (since normal flu kills hundreds of thousands each year).  The reason that strong measures made sense in China and Italy is that, for whatever reason, localised outbreaks got out of hand  It's a very different situation here, where we have a handful of cases scattered all across the country.

We do. However, this is the introduction of a new risk/threat. So, simple choice of accept it and ultimately it's another winter killer and another vaccination you're likely to need, or like other new viruses swine flu etc we try and stop it spreading before it turns into a pandemic.

We don't have an outbreak yet, but given what has been happening in other countries like China and Italy, and given the plan of "containment" seems rather dubious, it could yet happen here.

1 hour ago, glos old boy said:

you are forgetting Brexit talks, those alledged nasty folk in Iran, North Korea, Russia and theres always the Goverment and the Royals to fall back on

I think we'll have much bigger concerns by then as will all the other countries you mention.

17 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Am I the only person who couldn't give a crap about the virus?  Honestly, people live and die, what's the big deal?

Saw a guy today wearing a face mask at school to collect his kids, almost laughed my socks off!!

Especially when surely everybody has heard by now that those mask things do NOTHING to protect you. Madness.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Am I the only person who couldn't give a crap about the virus?  Honestly, people live and die, what's the big deal?

Saw a guy today wearing a face mask at school to collect his kids, almost laughed my socks off!!

Having COPD, fighting cancer and over 60 I dont care, there are many other things out there that can take your life this is one with a slight chance but no more than many others.

You obviously do as many things as possible like not driving like a nutcase for instance, but feel this is being over done and the bog roll buying....madness.

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Germany are encouraging people to work from home and minimise travel and are recommending cancellation of any events of 1000 or more.

Regardless of your views of the risk, I think it is sensible to brace yourself for the possibility of the same restrictions happening here. I'm massively starting to regret booking a train and hotel in Nottingham and a ticket for Ash at Rock City on the day of the Forest game...

Not according to that press conference. It set the right tone in my opinion and essentially said gatherings are really not an issue. They made the same argument I made about Italy doing blanket bans on stuff but with little effect. Go and enjoy the concert I say, but a lingering cough is something that needs sorting. Try Spirulina and Chlorella... Stops me getting colds and hugely boosts your immune system.

56 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Exactly my thoughts,same as us destroying the world for the future generations,who bloody cares we are all going to die anyrate 

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

I know what's going on here. You're waiting on an inheritance from an elderly relative - this virus is great news ?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You have 3 factors at play

1. Coronavirius impacting global demand, irrespective of whether the outbreak leads to mass fatalities.

2. Global financial markets have had a unprecedented 11 year bull run and were over valued, they were due a correction.

3. Saudi Arabia and Russia entering into a oil price war which could help bring about a deflationary shock.

Will 1, 2 and 3 combine to cause global recession? Probably. How deep will that recession be? Thats the 100 trillion dollar question. At the end of the day a couple of sport events being cancelled will be the least of our worries.

Edited by Chairman Mao

6 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

You have 3 factors at play

1. Coronavirius impacting global demand, irrespective of whether the outbreak leads to mass fatalities.

2. Global financial markets have had a unprecedented 11 year bull run and were over valued, they were due a correction.

3. Saudi Arabia and Russia entering into a oil price war which could help bring about a deflationary shock.

Will 1, 2 and 3 combine to cause global recession? Probably. How deep will that recession be? Thats the 100 trillion dollar question. At the end of the day a couple of sport events being cancelled will be the least of our worries.

Seems like a perfect time to Brexit....

10 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Seems like a perfect time to Brexit....

Afraid so! Probably the worst time to undertake departure from the EU since we joined the EEC, aside from the 2008 financial crash.

It's possible that the transition period will be extended by 12 months. I hope so anyway. To depart during a global recession would be economically reckless and I can't see the business community letting Johnson go through with it. 

Edited by Chairman Mao
  • Like 1