IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

All this talk of lawsuits is a nonsense, with the sole exception of if a club was to go to the wall. Any other football related lawsuits are unlikely to get an early hearing, if heard at all, when there are many more pressing cases that are in need of court time, especially when that time might also be reduced due to the impact of the virus. The English courts have never shown interest in involving themselves in football, the running of which is pretty autonomous in this country. They have no interest in promotion or relegation issues and will expect the football authorities to sort themselves out. I for one would be horrified that precious court time should be used on such nonsense. 

10 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Agree it wouldn’t be fair but I think it needs to be a case of finding the most non-worst option.  

Cancelling season would be better than taking position as they are now. Sending Bournemouth down on goal difference with 9 games left would be insane.  

Other option is to finish the season whenever football is safe to play again and then having 2-3 years of weird season dates as we try to move back to a August to May season 

The final option is the only realistic one.  Much better to tinker with a season that's not yet started then mess about with one 75% complete.

Now, factor in the 2022 World cup being in November and December and the possibility of amended seasons really seems to become more likely.   

They moved the Rugby season around this year and had the 3rd competition as a pre-season thing.  

I think the rest of the season could be played out in maybe 8 to 10 weeks including Europe and FA Cup.  Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday. Then have a few weeks of international football with the Euro 21 play offs before a new season starts.  The new season will have to be condensed somehow. No international windows.  Maybe knock the Euros back to later in the summer?

33 minutes ago, Littlesh*t said:

Sorry if it's already been covered but what will happen if they delay the season and players are out of contract this summer? They aren't going to sign a new contract with the club so could potentially be without key players . Also same for loan players 

If the season is extended, then all contracts should be extended on the same terms until the end.  Then have a window..

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, mozo said:

I suppose clubs in the top two divisions could afford to test each member of staff on a weekly basis, or some kind of safeguarding measures like that? 

Maybe but seeing as it takes 5-6 days before you even feel the symptoms then that wouldn’t be much good,would be fine if the experts could confirm once you get it you can’t get it again but they can’t for sure at the moment 

4 minutes ago, The Bard said:

The final option is the only realistic one.  Much better to tinker with a season that's not yet started then mess about with one 75% complete.

Now, factor in the 2022 World cup being in November and December and the possibility of amended seasons really seems to become more likely.   

They moved the Rugby season around this year and had the 3rd competition as a pre-season thing.  

I think the rest of the season could be played out in maybe 8 to 10 weeks including Europe and FA Cup.  Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday. Then have a few weeks of international football with the Euro 21 play offs before a new season starts.  The new season will have to be condensed somehow. No international windows.  Maybe knock the Euros back to later in the summer?

If the season is extended, then all contracts should be extended on the same terms until the end.  Then have a window..

Surely no clubs will agree to play Saturday Tuesday Saturday,it wears the players out by all accounts hence them needing winter breaks 

7 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

All this talk of lawsuits is a nonsense, with the sole exception of if a club was to go to the wall. Any other football related lawsuits are unlikely to get an early hearing, if heard at all, when there are many more pressing cases that are in need of court time, especially when that time might also be reduced due to the impact of the virus. The English courts have never shown interest in involving themselves in football, the running of which is pretty autonomous in this country. They have no interest in promotion or relegation issues and will expect the football authorities to sort themselves out. I for one would be horrified that precious court time should be used on such nonsense. 

I dunno, where there is blame (or a perception of such) there is a claim. 

Clubs are businesses, they submit accounts to Companies House, some list on the Stock Exchange. 

Yes it's best left to football authorities but if there was the prospect of us missing out on £100m+, well I'd expect us to push and explore all lawful avenues. Even more if we were in bottom 3, but had a game in hand and 2 points off safety!

55 minutes ago, Cov 77 said:

On the subject of season tickets the deadline for renewing your seats or lose them is on Monday , with massive uncertainty for many and just a small global crisis I notice the caring sharing club has not done anything to acknowledge this by perhaps extending for at least a few weeks , many people I know including myself and family have not done so as yet, I suppose depends how many sold , if not so many might do , but nothing in the PR dept of this club makes me think they give a shit 

I'm glad you brought this up as I was going to, surely the club will extend the deadline ? I haven't renewed yet and I'm even more uncertain about renewing at the moment due to possibly this season running into next season or next season not starting until November or any other senario ! ☹☹

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Surely no clubs will agree to play Saturday Tuesday Saturday,it wears the players out by all accounts hence them needing winter breaks 

Although not linked, kind of ironic that the first year they have a winter break the season gets interupted at the end of winter....

26 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Maybe but seeing as it takes 5-6 days before you even feel the symptoms then that wouldn’t be much good,would be fine if the experts could confirm once you get it you can’t get it again but they can’t for sure at the moment 

Again, I'm not saying it's a solution, but I think that the wealth generation of football will dictate that it goes ahead, so clubs say 'we're putting common sense measures in place to mitigate the risk.

Eg Frequent testing, deep cleans, behind closed doors games, strict off pitch instructions for all players and staff etc...

It's a compromise scenario so that PaddyPower is happy, BT and Sky are happy, shirt sponsors are happy, and so on...

Could be wrong!

51 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Difference is they will get a long enforced rest before playing again. No niggles, recovery from injuries and illness.   It's not as if they have small squads.

Cancel or suspend all sporting or non sporting events until we've dealt with the major issue in hand.

It's an entertainment industry. Nothing more. There's no point playing games with no crows to entertain if we're all locked up in quarantine or clogging up ICU's.

Going ahead with crowd generating activities will simply create a huge petri dish for this thing to spread. Remember there's a 5-14 day incubation period and whilst it may "just be a flu" for you, it could kill the person who has a season ticket next to you, or their family member, or yours.

There's no point in us or governing bodies hanging around waiting to take action. Look at the state of Europe at the moment.

I'm certainly no doom and gloom merchant but we all need to have a sense of perception regarding entertainment Vs self preservation.

There's no point wasting Public Service resources and PPE/Sanitation equipment on Training Grounds and Stadiums. We're far better off reserving these for Hospitals and Treatment Centres.

I'd suggest that we all take a bit of responsibility for ourselves and stay away (and not create) large crowds rather than waiting to be told what to do by people who aren't going to be relying on the NHS beds like the majority of us.

These Board Members will already have a deposit on a private Hospital bed if required.

The crowd ban will be here any minute and in my opinion without an audience to entertain, the season has already ground to a halt.. we'll get use to it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Bard said:

It's all well and good saying that but players by that point may have agreements in place to go else where. 

Honestly I think that taking strict measures to limit the risk of contagion should be the first step of any government, after seeing what happened/is happening in China,Korea and here in Italy: I find highly worrying to read statements like 'let the virus infect people as an experiment' (England), 'let the elections go on' (France)', etc.   

It's a difficult battle, because health is not the only aspect involved (work,economy, etc.) and there can be errors along the path...but the worst one would be underestimating this virus and don't do enough to fight it: it's clear that every country has its rules and is organised with a different (medical) system, so I don't expect to see exactly the same measures everywhere, but there should be at least some common ground.

Talking about football...if I were UEFA/FIFA I'd cancel the Euros and freeze the leagues/cups for some months, in order to continue them when the virus - hopefully - will be stopped, extending contractual options, etc. Not so easy to do, but IMO it would be the best solution.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I dunno, where there is blame (or a perception of such) there is a claim. 

Clubs are businesses, they submit accounts to Companies House, some list on the Stock Exchange. 

Yes it's best left to football authorities but if there was the prospect of us missing out on £100m+, well I'd expect us to push and explore all lawful avenues. Even more if we were in bottom 3, but had a game in hand and 2 points off safety!

Pops- this goes to vote. You should know this because we’ve discussed it in the ffp thread.

you can’t sue somebody just because a vote goes against you.

• Admin
58 minutes ago, Dan Robin said:

Honestly I think that taking strict measures to limit the risk of contagion should be the first step of any government, after seeing what happened/is happening in China,Korea and here in Italy: I find highly worrying to read statements like 'let the virus infect people as an experiment' (England), 'let the elections go on' (France)', etc.   

It's a difficult battle, because health is not the only aspect involved (work,economy, etc.) and there can be errors along the path...but the worst one would be underestimating this virus and don't do enough to fight it: it's clear that every country has its rules and is organised with a different (medical) system, so I don't expect to see exactly the same measures everywhere, but there should be at least some common ground.

Talking about football...if I were UEFA/FIFA I'd cancel the Euros and freeze the leagues/cups for some months, in order to continue them when the virus - hopefully - will be stopped, extending contractual options, etc. Not so easy to do, but IMO it would be the best solution.

Therein lies the dilemma, closedown football (and many other sports/industries) this will result in financial hardship, closures, staff redundancies in clubs and associated businesses, at some point, someone in government has to make the hard decision between commerce and health, there will be a tipping point, cost derived.  In a wider sphere, the loss of too many businesses and jobs at some point will economically and morally outweigh some deaths and that will direct decision making.

15 minutes ago, Dan Robin said:

France is closing it’s bars and restaurants midnight tonight. 

I think all 'meetings' of people over 10 will be the new normal 'maximum' amount.

We clearly aren't being told the whole truth and the effects of this pandemic are being 'manipulated' to try to re-assure the public.

Even with the 'scary' headlines.

Look at some of the facts (as reported by actual government agencies)

The implementation of MARTIAL LAW in some countries, inc the UK very soon (forced detention of sick people)

Republic of Ireland trying to free up 10,000 beds - yes 10,000 hospital beds

Italy applying a cut off age of SIXTY for mechanical ventilation. How many people do you know over 60?

A lot of ventilated patients are already dead - as in no hope of recovery. Case in point the 1st victim in Italy - in his 30's and now ventilated for 39 days.He's a dead man, and someone needs to pull the plug.

Europe is completely unprepared - Spain,France,Germany all already struggling, yet with a fraction of Italian cases.

Iran and China supplying false death rates - multiple vids showing piles of unburied dead.

Something else just does not add up - look how many 'famous' people have it.  Politicians, sports stars, Actors - yet Governments would have us believe only 150,000 have the illness - it is so disproportionate the number of well known people in that 150k.

It's the 3rd world I fear for - India has 1 billion people living there with appalling health facilities. Ditto Pakistan,South America, Africa etc.

3000 have died of Ebola in Congo but hardly a single article from the press (because you know, black people apparently don't make good headlines) - and most African nations struggle with basic health anyway.

Put it this way - does anyone believe Thailand has only 82 cases when they had 50 over 3 weeks ago?

Personal factual info - Queensland Health alone have just bought an extra 110 ventilators (at $400,000 each) - and Australian Hospitals are amongst the best on the planet - so if a state with only Brisbane as a city of any significant size spends that sort of $$, just what are they expecting.

Here in Victoria, we have erected 200 pop-up testing facilities. These are existing physiotherapy, pathology, closed GP surgeries so have the basic medical facilities - and the queue's are hundreds long - and we are catching the infected.Walk In, test, wait, and if infected,direct to isolation.

And yet our tally grows at a terrifying rate - over 250 now - doubled in 2 days. Private hospitals are being emptied and designated as Corona Centres (no doubt at great profit to the greedy bastards owning them) but Anaesthetists I work with are all absolutely certain we will be having to make the decision on age eligibility for mechanical ventilation within 14 days maximium.

Numbers are being hidden, and the death toll is far in excess of quoted figures.

The death toll in the Western Countries will be significant over the next 12 months - but in Pakistan and India - god help them, for they have no defence at all unless a person is extremely wealthy.

It is impossible to overestimate the POTENTIAL for world deaths at this point.

It really is potentially that bad, unless we bring in draconian measures immediately. And that includes use of the Armed Forces.

I hope everyone uses common sense, washes their hands and isolate themselves as much as possible.

Edited by SX227
  • Like 2
  • Flames 1

Complete this season when the epidemic is over and just play each other once next season with the gate  and tv money to be shared equally. 

Who plays at home and who plays away could be decided by drawing the team to host from a hat , like in a cup competition. 

Ensuring that there  is a balance between home and away matches for each club .

51 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Therein lies the dilemma, closedown football (and many other sports/industries) this will result in financial hardship, closures, staff redundancies in clubs and associated businesses, at some point, someone in government has to make the hard decision between commerce and health, there will be a tipping point, cost derived.  In a wider sphere, the loss of too many businesses and jobs at some point will economically and morally outweigh some deaths and that will direct decision making.

Money/power vs health. ?

The factor that could make the difference, and in some ways link both, is time: stopping the most part of the working activities now to protect more people and return - hopefully - to something similar to normal life soon, or letting things carry on almost unchanged, with the risk of an expansion of the contagion and the following collapse of some of those activities?   Money and commercial relations can be restored (with the aid of governments), even with huge difficulties...but not people's life.

Big entreprises/businessmen are much influential on the equilibrium of many sections of the economical life and governments, but they're not unbreakable/invincible, so it's time to make some sacrifices and politics should be brave in such a particular situation.

Anyway...let's pray for all the scientists, doctors and all people directly involved in research..because I fear that only a new strong medicine/therapy could definitely blow away this nightmare.

Greetings from Italy and...sempre forza City! ?

7 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Complete this season when the epidemic is over and just play each other once next season with the gate  and tv money to be shared equally. 

Who plays at home and who plays away could be decided by drawing the team to host from a hat , like in a cup competition. 

Ensuring that there  is a balance between home and away matches for each club .

Good idea but its not mathematically possible to have equal home and away in a 24 team league playing each other once. Maybe 1 game per club at a neutral venue.

16 minutes ago, SX227 said:

I think all 'meetings' of people over 10 will be the new normal 'maximum' amount.

We clearly aren't being told the whole truth and the effects of this pandemic are being 'manipulated' to try to re-assure the public.

Even with the 'scary' headlines.

Look at some of the facts (as reported by actual government agencies)

The implementation of MARTIAL LAW in some countries, inc the UK very soon (forced detention of sick people)

Republic of Ireland trying to free up 10,000 beds - yes 10,000 hospital beds

Italy applying a cut off age of SIXTY for mechanical ventilation. How many people do you know over 60?

A lot of ventilated patients are already dead - as in no hope of recovery. Case in point the 1st victim in Italy - in his 30's and now ventilated for 39 days.He's a dead man, and someone needs to pull the plug.

Europe is completely unprepared - Spain,France,Germany all already struggling, yet with a fraction of Italian cases.

Iran and China supplying false death rates - multiple vids showing piles of unburied dead.

Something else just does not add up - look how many 'famous' people have it.  Politicians, sports stars, Actors - yet Governments would have us believe only 150,000 have the illness - it is so disproportionate the number of well known people in that 150k.

It's the 3rd world I fear for - India has 1 billion people living there with appalling health facilities. Ditto Pakistan,South America, Africa etc.

3000 have died of Ebola in Congo but hardly a single article from the press (because you know, black people apparently don't make good headlines) - and most African nations struggle with basic health anyway.

Put it this way - does anyone believe Thailand has only 82 cases when they had 50 over 3 weeks ago?

Personal factual info - Queensland Health alone have just bought an extra 110 ventilators (at $400,000 each) - and Australian Hospitals are amongst the best on the planet - so if a state with only Brisbane as a city of any significant size spends that sort of $$, just what are they expecting.

Here in Victoria, we have erected 200 pop-up testing facilities. These are existing physiotherapy, pathology, closed GP surgeries so have the basic medical facilities - and the queue's are hundreds long - and we are catching the infected.Walk In, test, wait, and if infected,direct to isolation.

And yet our tally grows at a terrifying rate - over 250 now - doubled in 2 days. Private hospitals are being emptied and designated as Corona Centres (no doubt at great profit to the greedy bastards owning them) but Anaesthetists I work with are all absolutely certain we will be having to make the decision on age eligibility for mechanical ventilation within 14 days maximium.

Numbers are being hidden, and the death toll is far in excess of quoted figures.

The death toll in the Western Countries will be significant over the next 12 months - but in Pakistan and India - god help them, for they have no defence at all unless a person is extremely wealthy.

It is impossible to overestimate the POTENTIAL for world deaths at this point.

It really is potentially that bad, unless we bring in draconian measures immediately. And that includes use of the Armed Forces.

I hope everyone uses common sense, washes their hands and isolate themselves as much as possible.

Much of this reads as a conspiracy theory. Although it doesn't seem to quite add up when you look at the economic damage governments around the world are causing compared to how they try to talk down the threat of the virus to the majority of the population.

Maybe I'd better start to stock pile after all. Is the Thatchers farm shop open on Sundays?

53 minutes ago, Delta said:

Pops- this goes to vote. You should know this because we’ve discussed it in the ffp thread.

you can’t sue somebody just because a vote goes against you.

do us all a favour and self isolate don't touch your keyboard ,phone etc.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dan Robin said:

Anyway...let's pray for all the scientists, doctors and all people directly involved in research: a strong medicine/therapy could blow away this nightmare.

There is not much on the horizon I’m afraid. We can support patients and their organ systems but there are actually very few antiviral treatments. One potential is a drug that was developed against Ebola and is apparently already in trials in China but that is at least months away at best.

The concern I have is that people don’t realise how long this is going to last. We are talking months not days. Keep calm, but do not just carry on. Wash your hands much more than you did, especially before eating, and if you have potential symptoms self isolate, including as much as possible from your own family members. And if you get really sick (and I mean properly sick, not just feeling a bit rubbish) then go to hospital.

The vast majority of us will get through it but it’s going to be a difficult time, and to be honest football, as much as it’s a great diversion most of the time, really doesn’t feel that important right now.

• Like 9