IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

8 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

The one thing I can tell you is don’t go hoping for a vaccine any time soon. As it stands, we have never managed to develop a vaccine against any Coronavirus.

Is that because it’s too difficult to develop a vaccine against a Coronavirus or because we have never had the urgent need to do so before AND the technology to do it?

I appreciate that even with the advantages we have in 2020 it would still take at least a year to 18 months before anything could realistically become available. By which time tens of millions could’ve been infected.

What a fantastic gesture by our players on as much as £20,000.00 per week (or more) to donate a small proportion of their salary ( which gets paid no matter what) to a help and assistance fund for the elderly and/or vulnerable long term loyal City fans to help ensure they get the provisions they need to get through this crisis. A wonderful gesture to those people who have supported City through thick and thin over decades despite their own personal circumstances.

Or did I just make this up because that's what I'd most like to happen?

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

19 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

So will surgical gloves cut down the need for hand washing, just bung them in the bin each day que the run on disposible gloves; then of course goggles for eye protection and a decent rubber mask and its sorted.Just protect the holes in your body where it can get in

Surgical gloves would definitely help in keeping your hands clean. 

21 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Herd immunity tactics when we don’t know if immunity from the virus lasts forever at this stage is pretty mad I reckon.  Scientists are saying there is no way of knowing if someone can get reinfected and with most Coronavirus’s you can 

Warning: off-topic pedantry incoming.

I have issues with the “And” in your user name.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

What a fantastic gesture by our players on as much as £20,000.00 per week (or more) to donate a small proportion of their salary ( which gets paid no matter what) to a help and assistance fund for the elderly and/or vulnerable long term loyal City fans to help ensure they get the provisions they need to get through this crisis. A wonderful gesture to those people who have supported City through thick and thin over decades despite their own personal circumstances.

Or did I just make this up because that's what I'd most like to happen?

That's harsh. These players need to pay to put food on the plate for their families you know. It's not cheap to source White Pearl Albino Caviar and Swallows’ Nest Soup, accompanied by a large glass of 1996 Dom Perignon Rose Gold Methuselah...

Edited by mozo
  • Haha 4

16 hours ago, JonDolman said:

If you mean outside the gates then I can't see why people would bother with that. Maybe the pub, but I bet many would be doing that anyway on a Saturday afternoon.

Didn’t help that the PSG players then went outside on balconies and celebrated with the fans that turned out, almost condoning it 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Is that because it’s too difficult to develop a vaccine against a Coronavirus or because we have never had the urgent need to do so before AND the technology to do it?

I appreciate that even with the advantages we have in 2020 it would still take at least a year to 18 months before anything could realistically become available. By which time tens of millions could’ve been infected.

The problem is that the previous Coronavirus outbreaks (SARS and MERS) burnt out before a vaccine was really needed as the mortality rate was so high. There are specific issues about Coronaviruses as a group that may make it more challenging to develop vaccines, but as I understand it the current lines of development build on the work done for SARS and MERS. However it will be next year before we see a vaccine, if at all. It’s unlikely to be that helpful for this outbreak but may help if Covid-19 becomes endemic and keeps coming back at regular intervals, which is quite possible. Swine flu is still out there and we still isolate it from sick patients from time to time despite the annual flu vaccine.

• Thanks 1

On 13/03/2020 at 08:42, Chris_Brown said:

What I don't get about all of this is we are constantly being told that the best way to protect ourselves (apart from self isolation) from catching this coronavirus is to wash our hands after we've touched things and especially before then touching our faces or eating. If we cannot wash our hands - due to the unavailability of sinks and running water in everyday situations - then hand gel is just as good. Now that is something we can all carry around and get into the habit of using. After all, it will be a lifesaver. 

Now this is the bit I don't get. In the last war, it seemed likely that the home front would be subjected to poison gas attacks. Gas masks were thus quickly issued to everyone in the country and everyone carried them around in the supplied cases. Gas masks cost a fair bit of dosh to produce for a nation that in the late-1930s was still in the midst of the Great Depression. Yet it was done. It was seen as a necessity to protect our population.

Now in 2020 we are a far richer country than our 1939 former selves. Yet, there has been no talk of providing everyone in the country with hand gel. Hand gel being significantly less expensive than a gas mask to produce. Instead we are just told about how hand gel can be a lifesaver and when one looks to purchase a bottle at the supermarket, there's none there because someone has bought 59 years worth of supply. I can imagine back in 1939 a Public Information Film telling us that gas masks were essential but it was your task to find one on the empty shelves of the local stores. Surely it isn't beyond the Government to impose emergency powers upon the alcohol sanitising gel manufacturers and get them to produce enough to provide everyone in the nation with a bottle or two a week.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

10 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

What I don't get about all of this is we are constantly being told that the best way to protect ourselves (apart from self isolation) from catching this coronavirus is to wash our hands after we've touched things and especially before then touching our faces or eating. If we cannot wash our hands - due to the unavailability of sinks and running water in everyday situations - then hand gel is just as good. Now that is something we can all carry around and get into the habit of using. After all, it will be a lifesaver. 

Now this is the bit I don't get. In the last war, it seemed likely that the home front would be subjected to poison gas attacks. Gas masks were thus quickly issued to everyone in the country and everyone carried them around in the supplied cases. Gas masks cost a fair bit of dosh to produce for a nation that in the late-1930s was still in the midst of the Great Depression. Yet it was done. It was seen as a necessity to protect our population.

Now in 2020 we are a far richer country than our 1939 former selves. Yet, there has been no talk of providing everyone in the country with hand gel. Hand gel being significantly less expensive than a gas mask to produce. Instead we are just told about how hand gel can be a lifesaver and when one looks to purchase a bottle at the supermarket, there's none there because someone has bought 59 years worth of supply. I can imagine back in 1939 a Public Information Film telling us that gas masks were essential but it was your task to find one on the empty shelves of the local stores. Surely it isn't beyond the Government to impose emergency powers upon the alcohol sanitising gel manufacturers and get them to produce enough to provide everyone in the nation with a bottle or two a week.

Talking of hoarding etc. 

This absolute ****** in USA. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/14/technology/coronavirus-purell-wipes-amazon-sellers.html

59 years is conservative in his case.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, glos old boy said:

So will surgical gloves cut down the need for hand washing, just bung them in the bin each day:dunno:que the run on disposible gloves; then of course goggles for eye protection and a decent rubber mask and its sorted.Just protect the holes in your body where it can get in????️‍♀️

It's already started.

I'm a site manager in a school in Essex, went to order a few boxes through Screwfix last week for my cleaners - none in stock anywhere local to me. Have had to order through Amazon and hope they get to me at some point this week. I've also had 4 boxes of hand soap on order for about 3 weeks, they've been delayed until Tuesday (supposedly).

It's not the virus that's going to close schools, it's the lack of basic supplies you need to have to enable the kids to wash their hands!!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, glos old boy said:

So will surgical gloves cut down the need for hand washing, just bung them in the bin each day:dunno:que the run on disposible gloves; then of course goggles for eye protection and a decent rubber mask and its sorted.Just protect the holes in your body where it can get in????️‍♀️

Ann Summers say their shelves have been stripped bear!

hood.jpg.4928d1069a7ec8cf64ab7c0a353bbdf2.jpg

• Haha 1

On the point about herd immunity, for 60% of the UK population to get COVID-19 within one year, you’d need 100,000 new cases every day. 

If that’s the scenario the government are planning for and which they consider realistic, then it makes you wonder how bad the alternatives (all of which they’ve presumably modelled) would be. 

If there are 100,000 new cases every day, even if 98% of those cases are only mild or moderate, the other 2% would very quickly put an intolerable strain on all healthcare providers in the country.

Very worrying times ahead.  

35 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Listened to this guy on LBC earlier, very articulate and it makes sense

I guess the concern is how do we know when the bottle overflows and is it imminent? If we plan for 4 weeks or so because we're that far behind Italy what happens if in 2 weeks its spread much quicker than anticipated?

It at least seems scientifically led, so I'm willing to trust it and makes the point about us being different to other countries because of cultures and social behaviour

1 hour ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Makes no sense at all. Im living in spain. The lockdown has started and new cases still flying up, thus overflowing the bottle. This idea of waiting for the NHS to be at capacity before bringing in strong measures will seriously backfire. The notion that you can suddenly put the brakes on it spreading at a convenient time is wrong

Edited by Colombo Robin
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

because it’s too difficult to develop a vaccine against a Coronavirus

Like all other viruses Coronavirusus constantly mutate, if they didn't mankind wouldn't have developed and wouldn't be able to survive. Often when they mutate they display similar properties (hence as with seasonal flu you're unlikely to be vacinated against this season's strain but recieve some immunity as to effects based on previous strains.) Occasionally a minor RNA change causes huge differences in the degree of damage a virus can cause - as it appears is the case with Covid19. Caution there's little controlled data (other than the cruise ship in Tokyo) as to what Covid19 impacts are? On that ship it was suggested up to 50% of those infected were asymptomatic (i.e. didn't know they had it) and in other highly publicised cases those exposed and who later died appear to be a subset of those at a greatest degree of risk.  Note, too, that should the mortality rate for this virus be in the region of 1%, of the modelled 350k who might die within a year that's NOT in addition to the 640k who'd die anyway, it includes a fair proportion of those who most likely were to die in the shorter term and who's lives were sadly foreshortened.

So follow the virologists advice: viruses really, really hate soap and hot water, monitor the improved data and advice as and when it emerges, don't panic buy (there's no need,) and carry on sensibly carrying on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It- ie this issue- transcends football and it's only the Express but the losses football- and tbh again it's not so important as of now- could be very major if season cancelled.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1255372/Coronavirus-English-football-10bn-loss-season-over-epidemic-Premier-League-latest-news

The ones who will be worst hit, especially at clubs in the top 2 divisions will be the day job workers. The casual/matchday staff.

Here's a question too...when a workplace shuts down or there is self-isolation insisted on, SSP, reduced wages etc, this is often the way things are dealt with, for the greater good of a business/an organisation.

Will this apply to footballers?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

57 minutes ago, Colombo Robin said:

Makes no sense at all. Im living in spain. The lockdown has started and new cases still flying up, thus overflowing the bottle. This idea of waiting for the NHS to be at capacity before bringing in strong measures will seriously backfire. The notion that you can suddenly put the brakes on it spreading at a convenient time is wrong

With respect, they are experts in their field. Not saying they can't be wrong, but I'd trust their ideas based on research and data over the general public

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It- ie this issue- transcends football and it's only the Express but the losses football- and tbh again it's not so important as of now- could be very major if season cancelled.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1255372/Coronavirus-English-football-10bn-loss-season-over-epidemic-Premier-League-latest-news

The ones who will be worst hit, especially at clubs in the top 2 divisions will be the day job workers. The casual/matchday staff.

Here's a question too...when a workplace shuts down or there is self-isolation insisted on, SSP, reduced wages etc, this is often the way things are dealt with, for the greater good of a business/an organisation.

Will this apply to footballers?

As always it will be those at the bottom who are more adversely affected, certainly financially. Except it would seem Deliveroo on the evidence of yesterday at a certain fast food chain. More deliveries for them than those actually ordering and eating there!

As for players having to take a pay cut or break in payments, that may be essential for many EFL clubs. However even in the Premier League, the profit margins are tight and once income dries up a bit, a few of those will struggle. Could we even see FFP rules loosened or abandoned for a year to save clubs from extinction?