IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

6 hours ago, pillred said:

Funny how we managed for 100s of years before we joined the EU, don't worry I'm sure we will be fine we usually are.

Not getting into Brexit because this is neither time or place but your last thoughts were undoubtedly shared by the Roman Empire before its collapse, the great nations of Europe as tensions escalated in 1914, the citizens of Weimar Republic when the Nazis got voted in, Nicholas Ceausecu as he stepped on the balcony to deliver his speech and the Russian Monarchy in 2017.

Every civilisation in history is usually fine until it suddenly no longer is.

Edited by LondonBristolian
  • Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I worked at home Tues-Fri last week, at home today, but plan on going in tomorrow.  Our IBM contractors have been told to work at home until 31st March.  Undoubtedly it will be quiet in the office.  The tech is holding up.  

12 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I tended to work from home anyway, but last week I was asked to work from home for the foreseeable future.

Conversation was a bit weird though.

'Rob, would you be okay to work from home for an extended period of time? Only we want to ensure that those who can, do, and if you do need to come in, it'll be by exception...'

My reply was to sigh slightly, and then 'reluctantly agree'.

This was met with a 'thank you so much, we really appreciate it, critical to the success of the protect etc...'

Just goes to show how 'critical' I am, I have only been in to work twice this year (on both occasions because there was a meal/drinks social) and I only went in about a dozen times last year, and that was just to keep my door card activated.

Critical my arse. The fact they haven't missed me or noticed I never came in anyway tells you just how valued I am!

Just means I have to share bandwidth with 1000s or others now!

Sounds like it's increasing then- sounds like you often do/have the opportunity to though Rob.

Surreal where I work, seems to be as usual for now- save for all the layoffs, dunno if they temporary or otherwise.

Think working from home and pub closures etc will be fairly inevitable in the coming weeks but we shall see...

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Sounds like it's increasing then- sounds like you often do/have the opportunity to though Rob.

Surreal where I work, seems to be as usual for now- save for all the layoffs, dunno if they temporary or otherwise.

Think working from home and pub closures etc will be fairly inevitable in the coming weeks but we shall see...

Everything's gonna go....

Shutdown this forum for the foreseeable as it's like wading through treacle on here..

Very drab.

27 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Who is working from home by now then?

Clearly some jobs, perhaps even a decent number of jobs if you can't you can't but interested to see how many employers have sent staff to work from home etc, for those jobs that can obviously.

I have predominantly been working from home (or pretty much wherever I chose to travel) for the past 12 years or so, luckily my job affords such flexibility. I realise that many, many people are not so fortunate, whether due to corporate rules or the nature of their role.

19 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I tend to work from home anyway, but last week I was asked to work from home for the foreseeable future.

Same here. 

I lead a team of engineers supporting robotic pharmacy systems for the NHS and private hospitals.

We've downgraded all proactive work for now and are purely reactive for the foreseeable. Once movement is restricted, someone much higher than me will have some tough decisions to take re if we attend at all. The problem is, if our systems are down, all pharmaceuticals will have to be hand picked which, if staff aren't in work at the hospitals, is totally unworkable.

Tough times coming methinks. 

My lad is an apprentice at Airbus and has been told to stay at home already. 

Edited by Ska Junkie

9 hours ago, Robin-hugh-blind said:

My view is based on information given by members in verious parts of the military and civil service and may well be 'full of it' as you say. And I hope so.

But overwhelming priority for them seems to be how to control or predict public reactions. 

All I was alluding to is that it's not far fetched to see the government soften particular bits of public information for our own good and that is what there job is. 

Obviously the lefty's will cry but in the real world this kind of tactic (when used appropriately) can save lives and money. 

The problem is applying conventional solutions to unconventional problems. I would utterly agree in the vast majority of situations you do your best to manage the flow of information to avoid panic and manage public reactions.

But that does not work when:

1) there is a crisis occurring in multiple countries at once and it is utterly unrealistic that people will not find out what other countries are doing and what is going on in the countries where this hit before it hit us.

2) it is information every single member of the public has a life or death stake in. It is easy to blame the leaker but, in this case, it was utter and staggering naivety to assume the information would not be leaked because anyone who saw it would want people they cared about to know.

3) you have already lost control of the narrative to a point where panic has set in

4) the public are inevitably going to find out the reality sooner or later.

Ordinarily, I would not disagree at all on the need to control information but they ceases to apply in cases where information cannot be controlled. I sincerely hope your contacts in the civil service and military and their superiors realise pronto that this is not an ordinary situation and will not be contained by treating it as such. These sorts of mistakes will cost lives.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

This is what worries me.

My routine is usually 'log on about 7.30am, work 'till about 5/5.30pm and then go for a walk/gym visit, and then go to the pub for an hour or so'.

The getting out at the end of the day prevents cabin fever, but if there are closures or gyms/pubs etc, it's gonna be a long few weeks/months.

Add to that me thinking I ought to knock the pub/gym on the head for a bit - on the basis that if the over 70s get put is shut-down then I will need to provide support for my parents and me being ill wouldn't make me much use to them, I am already starting to fear boredom.

30 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Clearly some jobs, perhaps even a decent number of jobs if you can't you can't but interested to see how many employers have sent staff to work from home etc, for those jobs that can obviously.

Roads were busy as usual this morning. I'm working in Thornbury today and there's already plenty of 70+ year olds out and about. Seems to be carry on as normal for the time being, but I sense people are going into work and getting out and about whilst they can, before isolation and closure of shops and facilities becomes inevitable. 

1 minute ago, Ska Junkie said:

Same here. 

I lead a team of engineers supporting robotic pharmacy systems for the NHS and private hospitals.

We've downgraded all proactive work for now and are purely reactive for the foreseeable. Once movement is restricted, someone much higher than me will have some tough decisions to take re if we attend at all. The problem is, if our systems are down, all pharmaceuticals will have to be hand picked which, if staff aren't in work at the hospitals, is totally unworkable.

Tough times coming methinks. 

A good friend of mine works as a pharmacist overseeing a robotic pharmacy warehouse. Just last week he was telling me that the robots had started to screw up, mis-dispensing packages, but then not flagging said package for human 4-eyes check. He was unsure whether a system glitch or they had started to become self-aware, and Judgement Day was upon us.

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, SX227 said:

113 deaths in Iran in 24 hrs

368 Italian deaths in last 24 hrs.

Hospitals are running out of ventilators, and sadly 90% of those on them will die. I think Italy has something like 1700 patients being ventilated for more than 7 days on ECMO - the chance of recovery is very slim.

Because of its complexity and risk, ECMO is most often used as a last resort in patients suffering massive lung failure, heart failure, the effects of massive infection such as sepsis or pneumonia.

Doctors have lowered the max age for use of ventilators to 55 in Northern Italy.

Guys I work in Anaesthetics. 

It's bad over in both those countries, and the rest of Europe and the Middle East are catching up fast- which is why I really doubt the Chinese info.

What's the Chinese info?

6 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Roads were busy as usual this morning. I'm working in Thornbury today and there's already plenty of 70+ year olds out and about. Seems to be carry on as normal for the time being, but I sense people are going into work and getting out and about whilst they can, before isolation and closure of shops and facilities becomes inevitable. 

Yeah, seems normal enough in central Bristol- though will have to see a bit later.

Reading online though, saw a virtually empty tube. Suggestions of plenty in West London working from home,. not chancing it. Could be a small sample size, granted.

7_Q47spK?format=jpg&name=small

ETODnTXXgAA2Uhc?format=jpg&name=small

ETODjbqWAAINgvC?format=jpg&name=small

3 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

A good friend of mine works as a pharmacist overseeing a robotic pharmacy warehouse. Just last week he was telling me that the robots had started to screw up, mis-dispensing packages, but then not flagging said package for human 4-eyes check. He was unsure whether a system glitch or they had started to become self-aware, and Judgement Day was upon us.

We haven't seen that but. luckily, most issues can be sorted remotely. It's only if we have a hardware failure that we need to attend. I'm sat here watching one running now as it was playing up over the weekend. 

Anything which isn't allocated should go to a bin for 'human eye' check. If that's not working they could have serious problems and have to go to the old 'manual' method which is ok if everyone is in work but, if travel to work is restricted, they will have no chance if it's a big place / hospital.

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yeah, seems normal enough in central Bristol- though will have to see a bit later.

Reading online though, saw a virtually empty tube. Suggestions of plenty in West London working from home,. not chancing it. Could be a small sample size, granted.

7_Q47spK?format=jpg&name=small

ETODnTXXgAA2Uhc?format=jpg&name=small

ETODjbqWAAINgvC?format=jpg&name=small

I was on the normally crazy busy metropolitan line last week, going to Great Portland St, and it was really very quiet. I agree that home working seems to have kicked in already in a lot of businesses.

55 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

2 weeks ago I had a stomach bug, I offered to work from home so as not to infect anybody else, but was told no as I’d have to give a weeks notice. I therefore went in and a few people had the shits a couple of days later.

Now they want me to work from home this week. Half of us WFH this week, the other half next week.

Just out of spite and pettiness I’m tempted to go in this week and tell them they need to give me more notice. ;) 

Edited by BS2 Red
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

https://footballspotlite.com/stranraers-ryan-stevenson-offers-to-return-wages-to-help-club-during-shutdown/

:clap:

Point is we all have to make sacrifices during these times...wonder if any big earners in the PL especially will follow suit, Championship clubs have it especially acute- but then so in some ways do the bottom 2 divisions.

12 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Yep agreed and to be honest at the time I’d probably consider what my partner had as a “bad” cold rather than flu, but it did last much longer than usual.

Mine unfortunately was flu, like you say bed/sofa ridden for 4-5 days before I could even face stepping outside!

didnt realise the flu jab percentage was as low as that

The sister in-law visited us about 5 weeks ago from the UK. She stayed for about 3 weeks. When here we organized a winery tour which included about 5 wineries and a couple of micro breweries. The trip was a day trip and we were on a mini bus which was full. There was us 3 pomms, 6 x persons from Austria and 2 x Italians. 2 of the girls from Australia were a bit sick. 

2 days after when I got home I started to feel hot/cold and fluey. I went to the quacks and have been on 2 x courses of anti-biotics and still not quite well. I have had this now for over 3 weeks.

it has been confirmed I have a flu virus. I also had the flu jabs this year as well. 

Just sharing this information As the common flu is always around no matter where you are. However if you are run down and in the unlikely hood you do catch the Corona stuff and you already have the flu you will not have much chance of surviving. 

Seems to me they should finish the season behind closed doors and broadcast as much as possible on the TV / Internet.

Sure it will be surreal for the players involved, but the quality coaches should still be able to motivate the players to perform to the expected standard.

6 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Seems to me they should finish the season behind closed doors and broadcast as much as possible on the TV / Internet.

Sure it will be surreal for the players involved, but the quality coaches should still be able to motivate the players to perform to the expected standard.

‘Behind closed doors’ would seriously hamper the training and development of some referees - I’m thinking of the ones who are sent to the Mem to enable them to adapt to “hostile and cauldron-like atmospheres” and experience them for the first time ????✌️?

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

This has been recommended by many as a pretty rational and accurate site for updates: 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

I've had this tab left open on my phone for several weeks:

https://infographics.channelnewsasia.com/covid-19/map.html

2 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

I've had this tab left open on my phone for several weeks:

https://infographics.channelnewsasia.com/covid-19/map.html

Cheers - the ‘recovered’ figures have interested me on all sites such as these. I know these sites have been highlighted as being the most accurate etc but not sure how ‘recoveries’ can be measured accurately - and if they are some countries’ recovered figures seem low? Eg, using your link, in the UK 1.4% of those infected have recovered - just doesn’t seem accurate especially when these sites are showing that over 76% of those infected in China have recovered... but we have to rely on any info that is deemed to represent the best sources I suppose ...