IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

17 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Latest measures:

- Now self isolate for 14 days if anyone in house has symptoms

- The self isolation at the end of this week will be for 12 weeks for the elderly

- Police and ambulance not supporting large gatherings

- Everyone if possible to work from home, avoid isolated places like pubs and restaurants 

- Avoid non essential travel and contact

Noticably:

- No school closures

- No ban on pubs etc, self regulating

- No ban on mass gatherings- just won’t be policed

They have said 'avoid pubs, clubs and theatres'.

9 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I suppose they want a mass gathering to help their "cause" as well....

Got to love them though haven't you - on the climate crisis "we must listen to the scientists and experts", now on this situation the Government are actually listening to the scientists and experts and that ain't good enough for them.

Shame they can't just self isolate themselves, as this "protest" is helping nobody whatsoever imo.

4 hours ago, pillred said:

Won us the war though didn't it.

Might have been better options though, like for the top brass to have a better plan (or a plan at all).  Today reminds me of the ‘lions led by donkeys’ quote.

Edited by RumRed
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

I thought Brexit might break my company, but it looks like it might be Covid-19.

60% of our income at present comes from one huge project in Munich. Germany has just closed its borders and I don't know when we can complete or what the client is going to do. 

Worrying times.

Worrying times for us all, Robbo.

Hope you and your team can see this out, successfully.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, wood_red said:

I suppose they want a mass gathering to help their "cause" as well....

Got to love them though haven't you - on the climate crisis "we must listen to the scientists and experts", now on this situation the Government are actually listening to the scientists and experts and that ain't good enough for them.

Shame they can't just self isolate themselves, as this "protest" is helping nobody whatsoever imo.

Slight flaw is that the Italians have been warning us to act quickly for weeks, and the WHO advice is about fast action, testing and social distancing. We seem to have woken up too late, and the NHS will shortly be swamped. 

1 hour ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Did I dream that we, as a country, are now only testing people ill enough to show up at hospital?

And so, presumably, only counting them in the numbers too??

And at the same time as the World Health Organisation are stressing test, test, test. I believe S Korea have tested something like 1/4 million people. 

58 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Latest measures:

- The self isolation at the end of this week will be for 12 weeks for the elderly

- Everyone if possible to work from home, avoid isolated places like pubs and restaurants 

Noticably:

- No school closures

Thought the title of the other thread was ‘changing stance’, as in Boris’s backtrack from “accept deaths” to “we are trying to save lives”.  Got the tone of his message horribly wrong on Thursday.

Still all very woolly and lacking in commitment to support the people and businesses.  You can keep your pub open, but we’ve told everyone to stay in, rather than tell you to close it....so you’ve no compensation claim!!!  

12 minutes ago, Chappers said:

Slight flaw is that the Italians have been warning us to act quickly for weeks, and the WHO advice is about fast action, testing and social distancing. We seem to have woken up too late, and the NHS will shortly be swamped. 

I am not saying everything that is happening is the correct decisions or not as I just don't know, but why are these idiots on a "protest"?? I also expect they are hoping for more people to join them in their "cause" and get a gathering of people who also have to travel etc to get there? Whatever your thoughts are on the way it has been handled, these stupid morons are making things worse aren't they? 

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

And so, presumably, only counting them in the numbers too??

And at the same time as the World Health Organisation are stressing test, test, test. I believe S Korea have tested something like 1/4 million people. 

South Korea have tested more than anyone else and as a result they’ve found more cases, many of which are pre-symptomatic or asymptomatic. This has meant a higher number of cases but a much less terrifying case fatality rate (below 0.7%). 

IF we are only testing people who end up in hospital then how can we keep track of the numbers, give a more accurate impression of how lethal the virus is and how can people with mild infection truly know if they have any immunity in future?

Maybe I’ve got the wrong end of the stick but that would be ******* mental!

• Like 1

Somerset FA Council, Staff

Please be advised that following the announcement by the Prime Minister at today’s press conference asking everyone to limit unnecessary social contact the Board of Directors have decided to suspend all football in Somerset with immediate effect. This will of course include SFA county cup competitions.

At present this suspension is indefinite, we will advise you if and when there is a change to this situation.

We do not make this decision lightly and are aware of the importance of sport and football in general to everyone, however it does not compare to the wider picture and everyone’s welfare, therefore this is we believe the correct course of action.

• Admin
2 hours ago, Northern Red said:

This fraud is out of his depth.

Which fraud?  If you mean Johnson (Boris not Lee) then I have no doubt you could add all politicians of all parties to that, who has ever had to deal with something like his in peace time?  All any politician can do is act on the scientists advice, if they went off on their own thoughts, then if it all went to shit, they’d have no get out at all.......

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Latest measures:

Noticably:

- No school closures

Just told the Mrs that her weightwatchers meeting is probably off, she's not happy.

33 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

South Korea have tested more than anyone else and as a result they’ve found more cases, many of which are pre-symptomatic or asymptomatic. This has meant a higher number of cases but a much less terrifying case fatality rate (below 0.7%). 

IF we are only testing people who end up in hospital then how can we keep track of the numbers, give a more accurate impression of how lethal the virus is and how can people with mild infection truly know if they have any immunity in future?

Maybe I’ve got the wrong end of the stick but that would be ******* mental!

Does the fact that North Korea has recorded 0 cases prove that isolationism is a great idea after all? 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Not sure, came across more conspiracy theorist than ITK to me

Conspiracy all the way fella. We are conspiring intimately. 

In all seriousness though, would you trust the general public with all the information available? 

I'm not saying I think it's ideal that we (in theory) don't have all of the information. But I believe it's in the best interest of the majority. 

I'd love to live in a world where everyone would only take one pack of bog roll, but we don't. 

4 hours ago, Northern Red said:

As well as asking for public money to prop up his business, Branson is also telling his staff to go without pay for eight weeks.

Sell your tropical island, you bearded ****, and pay them half money at least

He’s doesn’t need to sell the island. He’s worth $4,000,000,000.

If he paid all 8,500 employees £10k each for the two month period, he’d have to struggle by on the remaining $3,915,000,000.

He’s an utter disgrace.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Somerset FA Council, Staff

Please be advised that following the announcement by the Prime Minister at today’s press conference asking everyone to limit unnecessary social contact the Board of Directors have decided to suspend all football in Somerset with immediate effect. This will of course include SFA county cup competitions.

At present this suspension is indefinite, we will advise you if and when there is a change to this situation.

We do not make this decision lightly and are aware of the importance of sport and football in general to everyone, however it does not compare to the wider picture and everyone’s welfare, therefore this is we believe the correct course of action.

Yep. Same thing happened with my U8s tonight. We had to stop training halfway through and now can’t play for the foreseeable. 

Gutted.

2 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Yep. Same thing happened with my U8s tonight. We had to stop training halfway through and now can’t play for the foreseeable. 

Gutted.

My son’s U9 training was cancelled tonight, shortly followed by confirmation that all matches have been suspended indefinitely. He’s absolutely gutted. I expect his other regular activities such as cubs and swimming will soon follow.

34 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

If he paid all 8,500 employees £10k each for the two month period, he’d have to struggle by on the remaining $3,915,000,000.

He’s an utter disgrace.

And he apparently sued the NHS because of a lost contract and got £2m ...

https://www.rt.com/uk/430468-branson-virgin-sues-nhs/

44 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

He’s an utter disgrace.

My boss has a quote from Richard Branson hanging on the wall behind his desk. I cant recall the exact wording but its to the effect of "If the company looks after its employees, its employees will look after the company"

Unbelievably quiet on the roads today for a Monday. I whizzed across Plymouth in no time at 8:30 this morning and it took ten minutes to get out of the centre of Exeter at 5:30 tonight. I`ve been through Totnes, Torquay, Newton Abbot and Ivybridge and I reckon there must have only been half the cars on the road than there normally are if not less.

The only hold ups I`ve come across have been for road works.

40 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

My son’s U9 training was cancelled tonight, shortly followed by confirmation that all matches have been suspended indefinitely. He’s absolutely gutted. I expect his other regular activities such as cubs and swimming will soon follow.

The logic of having to cancel football training while they’re still in school is one I’ve yet to convince my son of. Where are you more likely to get COVID? In an enclosed room of 30 for 5 hours or in the open air in a wide space with 20 for an hour. Difficult to answer the question “But dad, why are we still in school?” with anything other than it being an FA rule - got asked if I’d have to go to prison if we didn’t obey ?

• Like 2