IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

Not sure if this link works;

https://twitter.com/simoncalder?lang=en

But he is definitely in Yemen.

Ha ha. That’s mint news. 
He’s been a proper dick over the last few weeks. 
Every program he’s been on he’s been going totally against all advice and positively ‘encouraging’ people to book holidays. 
He’s been bleating on about “there’s great deals to be had here” and “you can get a flight and hotel for 3 nights in Venice for less than £100”. 

He’s a total imbecile and I’m glad he’s stuck in Yemen. 

5 minutes ago, Galway Red said:

Unfortunately government advice will not pay people's bills

If you have the ability to work from home then you should do so. 
That’s the advice. That’ll keep the salary coming for those people. 
Of course there are HUGE challenges to come for many people who won’t be able to work and whose employers have to close. I know all about that, as my wife works in a restaurant who’ve had 500 cancellations yesterday and is likely to be let go. 
Yes, the government have a massive role to play in ensuring there is as little impact to people and businesses as possible. Big big challenge. 

But that’s a totally different argument to “I can work from home but I’ve decided not to because my employer isn’t following the advice”. 

Edited by Harry

18 minutes ago, Harry said:

Your employer doesn’t need to be “told” by anyone else. The advice is quite clear. 
I’d suggest you speak to your employer yourself and inform them, that due to government advice, you are going to work from home. 
If they refuse, then it’s your employer who is being a dick, rather than Boris, whom you were so keen to blame earlier. 

Which is precisely what my Mrs. did this morning (she has underlying conditions which will probably mean hospital if she gets the virus) and the company owner brought forward his plans and told all staff to gear up for home working until further notice. She was home before lunch time.

Probably a bit more difficult if working for a big national company or the likes.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Here's a football related story!

The top 6 in the Championship, apparently are looking at legal action against the Football League, the Premier League or perhaps both, if promotion denied/season cancelled.

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/leeds-united-promotion-coronavirus-voided-17935890

@bcfc01 Yemen's a warzone or has been, god knows what he's playing at- unless reporting from there?

According to R5L the current top 6 had a call yesterday and this afternoon that is being extended to all 24 clubs - the agenda being all about ensuring that the EFL commit to finishing the season - whenever that might be.

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

So do people think if the season is wiped out they will get a full refund on their season ticket? They don't have to so I'm not sure I trust they would 

Should be something. Even if it's not actually cash going back in the account. Perhaps free admission to home cup games in 2020/21.

14 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Which is precisely what my Mrs. did this morning (she has underlying conditions which will probably mean hospital if she gets the virus) and the company owner brought forward his plans and told all staff to gear up for home working until further notice. She was home before lunch time.

Probably a bit more difficult if working for a big national company or the likes.

Should be easier if working at a big national. They would be more likely to have pandemic planning policies in place. Whether they’re fit for purpose is another thing but they’d certainly have to have a disaster recovery plan. 

2 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Rovers lose more every month.

But they’ve got the richest man in the world to bail them out. 

Haven’t they? 

So with stocks falling massively due to this pandemic, and this being the footballing pandemic thread... how do we think Steve Lansdown and family have been effected by the massive share slump. How viable are we and Bristol when I comes to chucking money at the money pit? Especially when your worth has potentially had 30% to 50% of it value removed...

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

• Admin
8 minutes ago, TRL said:

So with stocks falling massively due to this pandemic, and this being the footballing pandemic thread... how do we think Steve Lansdown and family have been effected by the massive share slump. How viable are we and Bristol when I comes to chucking money at the money pit? Especially when your worth has potentially had 30% to 50% of it value removed...

I would think the majority of his value is already in his account

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

I would think the majority of his value is already in his account

I doubt any businessman would have that in his account especially with such little protection of it over what is it? 84k per bank account as long as that bank is not a member of an over arching body which owns other banks.

Anyhoooooo we could see less funding for players coming whenever the season ends new one begins.. could have to stand on our own two feet... just for those who want refunds if the the league is null and void, something to consider.

Anyway just thought I'd throw that out there.  

17 minutes ago, TRL said:

Not sure he is the type of person i'm most worried about at the moment.

38 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Rovers lose more every month.

They lose 65k per week don't they, and that was before the falling gates. I wonder how Wallys family bank/shares are faring as well at the moment. If he didn't want to spend a penny before this, what will happen after it is over? If I was one of the Sags I would be more worried than normal about the club.

1 hour ago, elhombrecito said:

Indeed. Article from yesterday, suggests it's very unlikely that somebody could be reinfected, but as with most things to do with this virus, it's a best guess based on previous viruses. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/16/the-big-question-over-coronavirus-can-a-person-get-it-twice

One of the most concerning issues since the emergence of the Covid-19 virus has been whether those who have had it can get it a second time – and what that means for immunity.

On Monday, both Sir Patrick Vallance, the government’s chief scientific adviser, and Prof Chris Whitty, Boris Johnson’s chief medical adviser, sought to reassure the public. Those who have had the virus once will develop some immunity, they said – and it is rare to get an infectious disease again.

The questions first arose last month, after Japanese authorities said a woman who had had the virus, and been declared virus-free, had tested positive again. Scientists were left confused by the news and and also uneasy.

Prof Mark Harris, an expert in virology at Leeds University, said reinfection in that case was “unlikely”, but added that “there is some evidence in the scientific literature for persistent infections of animal coronaviruses (mainly in bats)”.

When Vallance was asked on Monday if the Japanese case meant herd immunity was no longer achievable, he replied that some people do catch infectious diseases a second time, but that it is a rare occurrence. There was no evidence to suggest that it would occur with the coronavirus, he added.

Prof Whitty explained that with diseases, even if there is no long-term immunity, there is normally some short-term immunity.

Prof Jon Cohen, emeritus professor of infectious diseases at Brighton and Sussex Medical School, said: “The answer is that we simply don’t know [about reinfection] yet because we don’t have an antibody test for the infection, although we will have soon.

“However, it is very likely, based on other viral infections, that yes, once a person has had the infection they will generally be immune and won’t get it again. There will always be the odd exception, but that is certainly a reasonable expectation.”

That's somewhat reassuring and may lead to a shortening of the crisis. However, being a virus it still has the ability to mutate and so a second wave could be caused by a new strain. 

There is a commonly held belief that you can't catch chickenpox twice, right? Wrong, it's extremely rare but some people do catch it twice or even multiple times. 

If clubs are in trouble and I think some outside the PL may well be, players should defer or partially defer wages. Like in any other walk of life.

Now the problem is, the further down you go then the less possible this is but should players be doing this where necessary if feasible to do so?

@Kid in the Riot Agree. Certain viruses can mutate, or some can be vulnerable to being infected once. The big thing though in that case, is that we and probably many experts, just don't know. Maybe it will, maybe it won't- statistical probability may well make it less likely but it's only been around 3-4 months, how can we know.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

If clubs are in trouble and I think some outside the PL may well be, players should defer or partially defer wages. Like in any other walk of life.

Now the problem is, the further down you go then the less possible this is but should players be doing this where necessary if feasible to do so?

Maybe an across-the-board 25% reduction in salaries while games are not being played. Could buy time for some smaller clubs, while not being so stringent that lower league players cannot put food on their families' tables.

• Like 1

• Admin

Chancellor has just announced an initial £330 BILLION (15% GDP) will be available for any business to pay bills, wages, rent etc

If this isn't enough more will be available 

Money will be available from next week and currently 6 months interest free loan

8 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Maybe an across-the-board 25% reduction in salaries while games are not being played. Could buy time for some smaller clubs, while not being so stringent that lower league players cannot put food on their families' tables.

Many in the Prem could donate a lot more than that, but do you honestly think they will? The greed of many in the game won't give a toss about smaller clubs/players etc etc. Players demanding half a million per week don't seem like the sharing types.

4 minutes ago, wood_red said:

Many in the Prem could donate a lot more than that, but do you honestly think they will? The greed of many in the game won't give a toss about smaller clubs/players etc etc. Players demanding half a million per week don't seem like the sharing types.

I'd like to say football will come together and will do a lot...but I sadly am sure you are right.

Not a good look at all on their part though- whether wage cuts or not, they could do more!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

38 minutes ago, Super said:

Not sure he is the type of person i'm most worried about at the moment.

You are the one that wanted football chst on this thread...jesus cant win with you can we ;)

Edited by TRL
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RumRed said:

Well can someone tell my employers please?  

You know, those people that pay me.  

That’s the difference between ‘advice’ and ‘an order’

This.

my mum called me today, sent home from work for having a fever and cough. I’ve been with her this weekend and last, so work sent me home this afternoon (To work from home) after the call.

I then got an email saying one of the directors has suggested if I have no symptoms myself I should come back to work tomorrow!

My partners also got a temperature though no other symptoms of yet. All a little too close to home now - for someone who admittedly thought they’d have little chance of catching it