IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

32 minutes ago, phantom said:

From BBC Sport - We may hear more on the proposals tomorrow

Championship clubs are unanimously behind trying to complete the season despite the coronavirus outbreak.

All 24 second-tier clubs held a video conference on Tuesday.

It followed a similar meeting on Monday when the current top six-placed clubs agreed in their desire to play remaining fixtures, a view supported by at least three other clubs.

Leeds United are currently top of the Championship table, a point ahead of West Brom with nine games to play.

Nothing personal against you at all @phantom and I know this is a football forum, but I just don’t care what happens to the football season any more.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

My heart bleeds at the thought of them having to relocate to a house costing less than £3m if they are not doing their job for a protracted period of time.

Those of us with more modestly priced homes also face difficulties if the side-effects of this virus stop us from working as normal. Why should footballers be insulated?

I being facetious, but maybe they could move in to your home, you could move in to a bed sit and the person in the bed sit can sleep on the street.

We all have financial commitments. And you tend to take on commitments that meet your earning expectations.

Maybe they do have wage deferment clauses in their contracts, I don't know, I have never seen them.

8 hours ago, RumRed said:

Well can someone tell my employers please?  

You know, those people that pay me.  

That’s the difference between ‘advice’ and ‘an order’

no that's the difference between good employers and arseholes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

The way I see it (lucky enough to have a wife who is a director of an insurance company to tell me, very little businesses have BI insurance and if they do COVID-19 certainly is not named on notify-able deceases) is the government are  asking us the general public to take control and stay away,  rather than imposing a ban. But we all know that will be coming within days rather than weeks. 

My wife sent me this link regarding insurance cover against this pandemic.

https://www.abi.org.uk/news/news-articles/2020/03/statement-on-business-insurance-and-coronavirus/

Indeed, and the ABI statement only serves to reinforce what I was trying to explain to, inter alia, @LondonBristolian yesterday.

I have worked in the insurance profession for more than 40 years, with the past 20 years or so being involved heavily in the entertainment industry (bars, restaurants, discotheques and the like) and, with certain exceptions, their overbearing requirement relating to insurance cover has been 'price', especially in so far as it concerns tenants.

There are charlatans in most fields of business, and insurance is no exception. Hence, the smooth-talking insurance broker (professional advisor ?) who offers the same cover for a premium considerably less than his competitor gains the contract (and its commission).

Don't worry mate, if your business suffers a loss due to fire, flood, storm 'whatever', everything is covered and, in addition, so is your loss of turnover. 

Perhaps, except it all comes home to roost at the time of a claim, when the insured party actually reads his policy for the first time and realises that the premium he saved was due to him skimping on his cover and, in reality, as with many things in life, he had made a false economy.

I have no reason to doubt that @LondonBristolian's acquaintances were stating their genuine belief as to their insurance cover, but, unfortunately, as I advised yesterday and as has now been confirmed by the ABI, they appear to have been mislead and their belief was misguided.     

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/17/there-is-a-policy-of-surrender-doctor-on-uks-covid-19-failures

Australia has run out of kits but 100,000 more expected tonight.

No gatherings indoors of 100+ people - so pubs etc have a 4m exclusion zone plan!!

Borders closed to most travellers

My son who is doing his masters cannot get to Uni, go on his placement and has now lost his job as he was Cinema duty manager to supplement his income whilst studying.

My wife teaches international students and expects to be laid off indefinately next week.

I'm expecting 14 day straight 12 hr shifts on ventilated patients any day.

The hospital don't have enough kits to test any of us, unless we show symptoms, which by then will be too late.

A lot of the staff feel we are probably killing some of the people we are supposed to be trying to help, as we haven't been tested, and access has been denied, unless we manage to buy one from abroad.

Bloody ridiculous.

Edited by SX227
  • Sad 3

7 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

That's somewhat reassuring and may lead to a shortening of the crisis. However, being a virus it still has the ability to mutate and so a second wave could be caused by a new strain. 

There is a commonly held belief that you can't catch chickenpox twice, right? Wrong, it's extremely rare but some people do catch it twice or even multiple times. 

Unfortunately true - I had it twice... apparently the first time was very mild sonot enough to give me immunity, I made up for that in spades second time around.

I was told on Friday that I was to be working at home for the foreseeable future, guess I'm one of the lucky ones that can. It also means when the kids' schools are shut (one is from tomorrow, only partial but affecting his year) it won't affect my wife and her 111 shifts

2 minutes ago, semblar said:

Unfortunately true - I had it twice... apparently the first time was very mild sonot enough to give me immunity, I made up for that in spades second time around.

I was told on Friday that I was to be working at home for the foreseeable future, guess I'm one of the lucky ones that can. It also means when the kids' schools are shut (one is from tomorrow, only partial but affecting his year) it won't affect my wife and her 111 shifts

You definitely had it twice?? 

Wow. This is fairly unchartered waters, or is even more so than it has been to date.

On 17/03/2020 at 06:50, ChippenhamRed said:

Remember when we used to argue about whether Eliasson should start, the merits of four or three at the back, and the lack of shots on target?

I miss that.

I do too.

I also find political point scoring, especially earlier in this thread, a bit silly to put it mildly. 

This kind of confusion is inevitable in a crisis this big and fast-moving. But it does also make the government's job much harder as it is easy for those who - for whatever reason - are mostly interested in scoring points to accuse ministers of U-turning and not being in full control. The truth is that it is impossible to be in control of a virus that scientists are still trying to fully understand, but the task for the government is to appear as responsive and sensible as possible - and to get that heard over the clamour.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, havanatopia said:

I do too.

I also find political point scoring, especially earlier in this thread, a bit silly to put it mildly. 

This kind of confusion is inevitable in a crisis this big and fast-moving. But it does also make the government's job much harder as it is easy for those who - for whatever reason - are mostly interested in scoring points to accuse ministers of U-turning and not being in full control. The truth is that it is impossible to be in control of a virus that scientists are still trying to fully understand, but the task for the government is to appear as responsive and sensible as possible - and to get that heard over the clamour.

Problem is this government usually U-turns when public outrage blows up. Similar to when they wanted the elderly to pay for their social care by selling their houses.

Think about that for a second.

If people didn’t kick off they would have went ahead with doing nothing and letting the majority of the population catch it resulting in excessive deaths. So it isn’t as simple to say people are playing politics. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Odysseus said:

Problem is this government usually U-turns when public outrage blows up. Similar to when they wanted the elderly to pay for their social care by selling their houses.

Think about that for a second.

If people didn’t kick off they would have went ahead with doing nothing and letting the majority of the population catch it resulting in excessive deaths. So it isn’t as simple to say people are playing politics. 

Truth is always somewhere in the middle.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, havanatopia said:

I do too.

Well it's 100% not point scoring for British people to question why this government has taken a different approach to the vast majority of leading nations. You'd be irrational if you weren't concerned by that.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, semblar said:

Reminds me of going to Joe’s nursery when he was little for parents evening.  We got to look through his folder of paintings and stuff and there was a page of quotes.

one of them was:

catwalks aren’t for cats they’re just for models!

found out later it was a bob the builder quote

but the best:

I had chicken pox twice, but I didn’t get it too bad, as I didn’t turn into a real chicken

???

• Haha 1

Sent home with my laptop now. My wife is 38 weeks pregnant tomorrow with our first born, not going to take any risks now. Worrying times and looks like we may have to isolate ourselves with the baby, gutting with so many people excited to meet him! First time grandparents etc.

Hope everyone is keeping safe

• Like 4
  • Robin 7

1 minute ago, ollywhyte said:

Sent home with my laptop now. My wife is 38 weeks pregnant tomorrow with our first born, not going to take any risks now. Worrying times and looks like we may have to isolate ourselves with the baby, gutting with so many people excited to meet him! First time grandparents etc.

Stay well and all the best on the birth of a new City fan ??

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Surely the season will finish behind close doors. I will fully be in support of this. Can’t see any other option 

The problem may well be that certain players in various squads have the virus and the players would not like to come into contact.  They are like anyone else and will have extended families who are trying to stay safe. 

2 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

The problem may well be that certain players in various squads have the virus and the players would not like to come into contact.  They are like anyone else and will have extended families who are trying to stay safe. 

Totally understand that. I was thinking more of players being tested and players who are healthy and clear play the games. Time to use the squad.

Disclaimer : I am not a doctor I know nothing this is just my opinion.  :yes:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ollywhyte said:

My wife’s in labour as we speak and very worried about who comes to see the baby, family included, unfortunately we are going to have to play safe which is sad as nobody gets to meet the new baby for a while but zero point risking it!  Good luck by the way!  We arrived at Southmead at 2pm Monday and no baby yet!

• Like 3
  • Robin 4

6 hours ago, havanatopia said:

I do too.

I understand the point you're making and political point scoring a no go, but it feels like our Government have been a bit reactive, behind the curve at certain points. I'd be saying that regardless of party BTW.

• Like 1

Genuine question. How does a government create a plan, and control a pandemic when it's stopped testing the general public?

If you don't know how many cases there are, how do you know when it truly slows?

Following yesterday's post about my mother, she was told not to contact 111 or Doctors, as per the general guidance, so she wont know if she has it, and nor will the people collecting the data.

Also, she could now quarantine for 14 days as per advice, then turn out she only had an agressive cold (she has lower immune system due to cancer in the past) and then still be likely to actually catch it?

Likewise, myself (back in work today ?‍♂️) could quarantine for 2 weeks thinking I've been around someone with symptoms when I haven't and then we're still at risk.

I think i'd rather have it ASAP, quarantine and get it done with than the unknown with vulnerable people around me.

I also realise the NHS/GPs probably dont have capacity to test the amount of people required. I just couldn't understand how you manage it without knowing the figures?

1 hour ago, ollywhyte said:

1 hour ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

My wife’s in labour as we speak and very worried about who comes to see the baby, family included, unfortunately we are going to have to play safe which is sad as nobody gets to meet the new baby for a while but zero point risking it!  Good luck by the way!  We arrived at Southmead at 2pm Monday and no baby yet!

The most tiring and exciting thing you’ll ever do. Good luck boys!

• Thanks 1

Given your username do we assume you are the father of the impending offspring or not?

Good luck @ollywhyte to you and your family. As a new father , best thing in the world 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Apologies if this has been asked on here before, but in my household, 3 of us are in the high risk group advised to socially distance by the Gov. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-guidance-on-social-distancing-and-for-vulnerable-people/guidance-on-social-distancing-for-everyone-in-the-uk-and-protecting-older-people-and-vulnerable-adults

If my workplace refuses a WFH request, will I be entitled to statutory sick pay if I take the Govs advice and 'socially distance' or do I actually have to have the illness to qualify for it?

Hopefully someone knows!

Congrats to both of you. 

Your kids will never fully appreciate the strange year that they were born into!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1