IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

• Admin

Something interesting that I didn't know

Not related as such to the virus, but on SSN Danny Mills just said that with every football contract that expires at the end of June, if a player doesn't get a new contract the owner club still has to pay their wages until the end of July

46 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

I can't see why this can't happen.  If the players are only mixing between themselves and get tested on a regular basis, it shouldn't be a problem in my view. 

The clubs could stream the games / play them on sky.  Its an easy thing to no and no reason why the season can't continue behind closed doors after a 2 week isolation period for the squad and staff. 

The big issue (if I am correct on assumption), is that there are just not enough testing kits here to test the public (and even ones who have symptoms so have to stay in probably worrying if they got it or not).

Unless there are unlimited testing kits made available, then I really don't see it necessary to test thousands of footballers regularly when those tests should/could be used elsewhere. You would have to test all the players, staff, stadium staff, coach driver etc etc, that would run into the tens of thousands of kits being used. I would rather see them being used to test the vulnerable rather than the healthier sportsmen. 

6 minutes ago, phantom said:

Something interesting that I didn't know

Not related as such to the virus, but on SSN Danny Mills just said that with every football contract that expires at the end of June, if a player doesn't get a new contract the owner club still has to pay their wages until the end of July

Saw that mentioned on twitter yesterday, but recalled in Ben Smith’s autobiography that he mentioned the difference between a pro and a short-term / semi-pro contract was exactly that, he’d get paid through the summer holiday...and why one season it meant he could pay mortgage.

Its a good read, and puts the lower league pro in context....they aren’t all earning vast sums, even at those levels.

1 hour ago, Badger08 said:

I can't see why this can't happen.  If the players are only mixing between themselves and get tested on a regular basis, it shouldn't be a problem in my view. 

The clubs could stream the games / play them on sky.  Its an easy thing to no and no reason why the season can't continue behind closed doors after a 2 week isolation period for the squad and staff. 

I think it depends on what services are needed at the ground. Games aren’t being played so that emergency services are free to deal with other things. 

Would the government be happy for all these people to be not available on the frontline to be at football games.

2 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

I think it depends on what services are needed at the ground. Games aren’t being played so that emergency services are free to deal with other things. 

Would the government be happy for all these people to be not available on the frontline to be at football games.

That's not why football was initially cancelled, though the government advice obviously changed since.

Why would emergency services be required for a game behind closed doors? Other than potentially medical staff

• Like 1

I hate to be gloomy but I'm starting to worry this is all a lot more serious still than many of us appreciate.

This is the report the government is basing its modelling on.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

It is not an easy read but there is a reasonable but gloomy summary here:

https://twitter.com/jeremycyoung/status/1239975682643357696

Essentially the conclusion is

a) this can only be stopped by suppression - i.e. isolation, social distancing, closures of work, businesses and schools etc.

b) It is likely that, when suppression stops, the virus will return.

Therefore we may need to continue the suppression tactics countries are using now for 12 - 18 months until there is a virus or a treatment.

There has been a review of it questioning whether the virus will return and suggesting it could be managed if so but I think the reality is we could be in for the long haul...

Edited by LondonBristolian
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I hate to be gloomy but I'm starting to worry this is all a lot more serious still than many of us appreciate.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

ps://twitter.com/jeremycyoung/status/1239975682643357696

a) this can only be stopped by suppression - i.e. isolation, social distancing, closures of work, businesses and schools etc.

Therefore we may need to continue the suppression tactics countries are using now for 12 - 18 months until there is a virus or a treatment.

There has been a review of it questioning whether the virus will return and suggesting it could be managed if so but I think the reality is we could be in for the long haul...

The world has taken a very strange turn, that's for sure.

If you'd have told me in 2015 that within 5 years we'd have a pandemic requiring global isolation for a year minimum, Boris as PM, Trump as Pres, Brexit, and that Southgate would have taken England to a world cup semi final with Lingard, Trippier and Maguire proving to be key players, well I'd have laughed hysterically, then screamed for medication...

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

ps://twitter.com/jeremycyoung/status/1239975682643357696

Entirely agree. A couple of things in recent days have made me think this is going to last for much longer than some people think.

Firstly, Chris Whitty was asked the other day how long these measures could be in place. His answer was 'weeks or months', and I got the sense he was being deliberately vague because he already knows the answer but doesn't dare reveal it to the public as the answer won't be a popular one.  

Secondly, if the government are offering assistance to businesses for the next 12 months, what does that tell you?

Thirdly, I come back to the point about 60% of the population becoming infected. If this is being considered as a likely outcome in the modelling, and if such a scenario were to occur within 12 months, it would mean an average of 100,000 new cases every single day. That's a rate of infection that's way, way beyond where we currently stand right now.

2 minutes ago, North London Red said:

Entirely agree. A couple of things in recent days have made me think this is going to last for much longer than some people think.

Firstly, Chris Whitty was asked the other day how long these measures could be in place. His answer was 'weeks or months', and I got the sense he was being deliberately vague because he already knows the answer but doesn't dare reveal it to the public as the answer won't be a popular one.  

Secondly, if the government are offering assistance to businesses for the next 12 months, what does that tell you?

Thirdly, I come back to the point about 60% of the population becoming infected. If this is being considered as a likely outcome in the modelling, and if such a scenario were to occur within 12 months, it would mean an average of 100,000 new cases every single day. That's a rate of infection that's way, way beyond where we currently stand right now.

Regarding the third point, my understanding - which could be wrong - is now the aim is to try to prevent those 60% becoming infected. I think the 60% figure was if the mitigation model was used, which was the plan until last week when it was realised that it would mean intensive care beds getting overwhelmed and around 230, 000 deaths.

We're now aiming for less than 20, 000 deaths which, based on a 1% fatality rate, makes me think we are trying to keep it down to only 2 million infections - which is under 3% of the population. To achieve that is surely going to take prolonged social isolation and exclusion and, as a result, nothing approaching herd immunity, thus  increasing how vulnerable we are to the virus if it is not eradicated entirely. 

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

China, Italy and South Korea. 

These are, were ahead of us. Will be interesting indicators, as to whether it returns, how quickly. The form it takes etc. 

Cases in China or new cases have gone right down? Italy, the rate maybe slowing a bit- South Korea, has been held up as an exemplary example in various quarters.

The China situation is one I can't quite work out, since it seems to contradict the doomsday scenarios which are implicit in the Imperial College paper and which have been reported in various places.

If China's latest numbers are right, it could be the one ray of light here, and the situation may not be quite as bad as feared.

2 minutes ago, North London Red said:

Don't forget though. The majority of those that do get it, recover and (hopefully) build up an immunity to it.  In some way there is probably a benefit to getting it so that you build up resistance. Appreciate that's not best for the minority at all.  

The flip side to forcing everyone (who hasn't had it) to self isolate though is that they won't get it or potentially build an immunity to it and therefore there could still be a risk when restrictions are lifted that it'll all spread again. 

The modeling scientists and doctors are doing is hypothetical based in lots of data and previous events but they dont actually know how this will pan out. 

5 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Regarding the third point, my understanding - which could be wrong - is now the aim is to try to prevent those 60% becoming infected. I think the 60% figure was if the mitigation model was used, which was the plan until last week when it was realised that it would mean intensive care beds getting overwhelmed and around 230, 000 deaths.

We're now aiming for less than 20, 000 deaths which, based on a 1% fatality rate, makes me think we are trying to keep it down to only 2 million infections - which is under 3% of the population. To achieve that is surely going to take prolonged social isolation and exclusion and, as a result, nothing approaching herd immunity, thus  increasing how vulnerable we are to the virus if it is not eradicated entirely. 

3 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

Don't forget though. The majority of those that do get it, recover and (hopefully) build up an immunity to it.  In some way there is probably a benefit to getting it so that you build up resistance. Appreciate that's not best for the minority at all.  

The flip side to forcing everyone (who hasn't had it) to self isolate though is that they won't get it or potentially build an immunity to it and therefore there could still be a risk when restrictions are lifted that it'll all spread again. 

The modeling scientists and doctors are doing is hypothetical based in lots of data and previous events but they dont actually know how this will pan out. 

Fair points.

The issue of the virus resurfacing once the restrictions are lifted will also dictate how long these measures last. Is it beyond the realms of possibility that lockdowns will last in Europe until a vaccine is widely available (which the experts are saying is likely to be at least a year away)? The length of time to develop, manufacture and distribute bulk quantities of a vaccine is another reason why these restrictions might be in place for the long haul.

36 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

That's not why football was initially cancelled, though the government advice obviously changed since.

Why would emergency services be required for a game behind closed doors? Other than potentially medical staff

I don’t know that’s why I said I think. Guess it all depends on what each clubs SAG say. 

Would they let a match proceed without an ambulance present? 

All just guesswork but i would think playing matches is not high on list of priorities for the country at the moment.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

I must be irrational then.

Well certainly I don't think you are irrational, but it does surprise me that you don't see a curiosity there at the very least?

You've got 10 leaders taking scientific advice. 8 interpret it one way, and 2 another way. We are one of the two (in this simplification). Isn't it normal to say, hang in, what do those 8 know that we don't?!

9 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

I must be irrational then.

Here's another analogy... Lee Johnson decides he's going to play only 2 defenders in his line up, when all other clubs play 3, 4 or 5 defenders. Naturally, half the fans are saying 'hang on, that leaves us exposed at the back!' Now Lee might have uncovered a genius tactic that goes on to be successful, but it's rational to wonder if he's got his coaching all wrong.

6 minutes ago, North London Red said:

Fair points.

The issue of the virus resurfacing once the restrictions are lifted will also dictate how long these measures last. Is it beyond the realms of possibility that lockdowns will last in Europe until a vaccine is widely available (which the experts are saying is likely to be at least a year away)? The length of time to develop, manufacture and distribute bulk quantities of a vaccine is another reason why these restrictions might be in place for the long haul.

It's all unknown isn't. Your question about the lockdown being longer term has much more economic impacts of people losing jobs/going out of business which could very well mean huge unemployment and possibly homelessness and then how does the country feed people? Lots of hypothesis which are all unknown, but what we do know (although the media aren't reporting it very well because it doesn't sell papers) is that the vast majority of people ony get mild symptoms and are recovering.

13 minutes ago, North London Red said:

The length of time to develop, manufacture and distribute bulk quantities of a vaccine is another reason why these restrictions might be in place for the long haul.

But surely the entire world (almost) is trying to develop a suitable vaccine? So presumably the time taken to hopefully reach a point where one is suitable for deployment will be reasonable? 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, mozo said:

Here's another analogy... Lee Johnson decides he's going to play only 2 defenders in his line up, when all other clubs play 3, 4 or 5 defenders. Naturally, half the fans are saying 'hang on, that leaves us exposed at the back!' Now Lee might have uncovered a genius tactic that goes on to be successful, but it's rational to wonder if he's got his coaching all wrong.

What I don't understand is that this week the government and their advisers have - and this is entirely to their credit - accepted that they got it wrong, that mitigation was not going to work and we need to suppress the outbreak in the ways that other countries are doing. Hence we have very suddenly moved from "stay in for seven days if you have a cough" to "avoid pubs, restaurants and all non-essential social contact". 

Whilst we have not yet forcibly locked this down, we are now moving away from the tactics we were pursuing and moving towards the ones recommended by the WHO.

So why are people still saying the government have got this right when even the government admit that this is not the case and that they have needed to change direction?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

But surely the entire world (almost) is trying to develop a suitable vaccine? So presumably the time taken to hopefully reach a point where one is suitable for deployment will be reasonable? 

The problem is that you are meant to test vaccines and monitor for 14 months to ensure no side effects. Vaccines are being developed and tested but, unless health regulations change (which carries its own risk) it is still going to be May next year at the earliest that a vaccine has been sufficiently tested.

It is also possible the initial vaccines will not work quite as hoped and will need to be refined. And then there is the fact you need to manufacture and distribute enough for the world (if the countries around world can afford to pay for it). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coppello said:

Glastonbury Festival has confirmed its cancellation. Tickets have been rolled forward to next year which is a bit annoying given I missed out! 

True, but its the only thing they could do. I've been trying for several years to get tickets so would have been annoyed if they didn't - though I realise there's more important things to be annoyed about

50 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

https://twitter.com/jeremycyoung/status/1239975682643357696

34 minutes ago, North London Red said:

I agree, hence my suggestion elsewhere that we won't get a 20-21 season.

Apart for a vaccine, the other thing that may affect this is the understanding we increasingly get of the virus. And so far, much of that points to the importance of testing, something the WHO has been banging on about,  S Korea has been very good at and we, and the US, pretty poor. Although little pockets seem to have re-occured in S Korea since they got the numbers down, they have been very quick to identify and contain them.

There's an interesting article in the Italian press about a small town call Vo', in the North, where they have been testing the entire population. One thing that's highlighted is that 50% or more of people who catch the virus are asymptomatic. That means they take fewer precautions, and may even be doctors or other health workers. And children particularly - so it's not necessarily that they don't catch the virus, just that they don't show any symptoms. So, by identifying and isolating these people they've been able to reduce the rate of spread significantly.

https://www.repubblica.it/salute/medicina-e-ricerca/2020/03/16/news/coronavirus_studio_il_50-75_dei_casi_a_vo_sono_asintomatici_e_molto_contagiosi-251474302/

So, what we could get, for example, would be regular testing for whole populations - massively expensive but compared to what the Chancellor announced yesterday...? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

What I don't understand is that this week the government and their advisers have - and this is entirely to their credit - accepted that they got it wrong, that mitigation was not going to work and we need to suppress the outbreak in the ways that other countries are doing. Hence we have very suddenly moved from "stay in for seven days if you have a cough" to "avoid pubs, restaurants and all non-essential social contact". 

Whilst we have not yet forcibly locked this down, we are now moving away from the tactics we were pursuing and moving towards the ones recommended by the WHO.

So why are people still saying the government have got this right when even the government admit that this is not the case and that they have needed to change direction?

Because to suggest otherwise is deemed as political point scoring, even when it’s not!!!! ?

It seems in some people’s eyes we are at a point where we are no longer allowed to question or challenge.

For me £330bn is a fantastic statement, but the detail beneath isn’t so.

Don't get me wrong there is no perfect solution to both health and economy.  Part of the problem is there is a lot of ‘stock’ being taken from the daily press-conference, yet in fairness to the government other things are being decided on in different meetings to that, e.g. IR35 got postponed by a year late yesterday evening, commitment to talk to certain ministers (Housing) about rent proposals.

Ultimately, communication isn’t good enough.  In fairness to this government, they are doing some good things, but their clarity, consistency and depth of comms isn’t where it needs to be at this point.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, North London Red said:

I wonder if part of the problem is relying on / trusting the general public to do the right thing? They cant be trusted to not stock pile toilet paper ffs how can they be trusted to stay home and bunker down?

Whilst people are still "allowed" to make their own choices, I cant see how the spreading will stop. There's still companies that at best arent encouraging home working (at worst, preventing it). There's still people going to pubs, bars, restaurants. Gyms are still open. The supermarkets are still full of people. We aren't testing anyone so we wont even know when the numbers die down. Any figures now need to be taken with a pinch of salt as they are likely higher than reported.

• Like 3

Flashing Blue
On the panel I see the lights that are lit.
The process step is under my control.
I keep an eye on the computer's analyzes.
Here, uncertainty has played its part.

The control flashes blue, a signal for the safe.
The control flashes blue, then everything is fine.
If the screen is normal, there is no reason to hesitate.
When the control flashes blue, then everything is fine.

But in the quiet hours of the night I have wondered,
What happens where technology doesn't see,
What is hiding in the shadow of the Tuja trees.
And I feel the anxiety growing more and more.

But the control flashes blue, a signal for the safe.

But there are questions the computer cannot answer.
Signals I cannot understand.
There is so much we cannot explain.
There are forces we can never use.

The control flashes blue, a signal for the safe.

52 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

China, Italy and South Korea. 

These are, were ahead of us. Will be interesting indicators, as to whether it returns, how quickly. The form it takes etc. 

Cases in China or new cases have gone right down? Italy, the rate maybe slowing a bit- South Korea, has been held up as an exemplary example in various quarters.

Because those countries did what we aren't doing - tested anyone with a temperature and then traced their contacts and tested them.

It is madness that we say there is no need to test people who've self-isolated with all the symptoms. Those people will have been wandering about for days without knowing they had the virus. Folk who have been in contact with them deserve to know and be tested then they can self-isolate accordingly.

In this piece, an NHS surgeon who thinks he has the virus writes of how health-workers are not being tested and are potentially spreading the disease around hospitals.

It's time the government stopped trying to fight this on the cheap. Even the business support is largely a cheapo loan scheme that will benefit the banks at the expense of affected SMEs. 

We need to ramp up testing and tracing as has been used in the Far East. It brought South Korean virus figures down from being the world's most infected country to being below many European and Middle Eastern ones.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/17/there-is-a-policy-of-surrender-doctor-on-uks-covid-19-failures?fbclid=IwAR2fvjtsLT2zOnYZ7NPIfhJl_kjQE_GOiRdZds26fZBBiCBEdsjDF37prTA

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2