IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

7 minutes ago, oldstandrobin said:

Quite agree RR Over 20 years ago I was a Sales Manager at BT and we were pushing Video conferencing then. why has it not taken off ?

I think breifings and one-way updates work ok over VC, but always hated having meetings that require debate over VC, especially mutli-office or with some people in a room and some over the video link. There's always a delay and it's always hard to get a word in / get your point across. In my opinion anyway

6 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Factories now all but open. Capacity over 80% now. China nearly back to normal just 4 months after first case. 

My son is a BA Captain and has told me that China has recalled pilots and contacted foreign pilots who had been laid off and is offering them big bonuses to go back to work.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Free tests

Results in 5 hours

Results by text

Using Debit/credit cards and mobile phone tracking to trace movements and warn people of positive results and advise isolation 

lots of cases, very few deaths

Brilliant work

Devils advocate;

As at 13.30 today S. Korea had published 8413 actual and confirmed cases with 84 deaths = .99% mortality rate

UK has an estimated 20,000 cases (best case scenario) with 71 deaths = .35% mortality rate

Lots of people myself included think this virus has been around quite a bit longer than people think, I’m convinced i had Covid 19 over Christmas as i had almost the exact same symptoms but obviously nobody knew it existed at the time 

I found this online apologies my computer skills only go as far as copying and pasting a link https://www.ccn.com/coronavirus-patient-zero-may-have-started-pandemic-in-november-or-earlier/

2 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

And they have stopped filming Eastenders. Every cloud, eh . . . 

Reducing the number of episodes per week from 4 to 2 also.

Probably just as well. If it's still as miserable as it's always been then in the current climate it might push a few people who are feeling down over the edge.

5 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

You don’t believe them?  Well you are wrong.  I work with these people.  

If I order 50k of X and they can ship to me just one week later than normal then does it suggest they are lying?

I'm happy you get you 50k of X.

Edited by Vincent Vega
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, walnutroof said:

Lots of people myself included think this virus has been around quite a bit longer than people think, I’m convinced i had Covid 19 over Christmas as i had almost the exact same symptoms but obviously nobody knew it existed at the time 

I found this online apologies my computer skills only go as far as copying and pasting a link https://www.ccn.com/coronavirus-patient-zero-may-have-started-pandemic-in-november-or-earlier/

So YOU were the one that started it. Finally, someone to blame!!

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I think breifings and one-way updates work ok over VC, but always hated having meetings that require debate over VC, especially mutli-office or with some people in a room and some over the video link. There's always a delay and it's always hard to get a word in / get your point across. In my opinion anyway

It's not ideal. But these aren't ideal times.

At present, we hold one zoom meeting a day, the rest of the time it's on messaging or phone calls.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

So YOU were the one that started it. Finally, someone to blame!!

So kind! I did Charlton away Boxing Day and managed not to wipe out those in the away end, it was literally a case of felt alright one day and was sick the next 

Joking aside since posting that article on Facebook quite a few people have said similar that they had those symptoms from November/December onwards, this helps explain why it looks like there’s been a massive jump in cases when it’s actually been going on a lot longer than people thought, it also means a lot of those currently panicking at home with their toilet rolls are probably immune now to the virus 

18 minutes ago, walnutroof said:

I'm the same myself.  Felt like bleeding shyte mid-January with a persistent cough, high temperature, muscle aches and wheezing.  Luckily no other family member got it. 

This could be a situation like Aids, where research has indicated that it was likely present in the US from the mid-1960s and Africa from the 1930s:  Yet it wasn't identified as a "new" virus until 1981 and not given its name until 1982.

5 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

So who is lying? Me? The factories? 

Proof is in the pudding mate 

The proof most definitely is in the pudding m8. SARS,Avian bird flu and now this all originated in China. You obviously have had good experience with them ,that's fine and I get it. Me personally, I'm probably going to lose my business so forgive me if I seem a little pissed of with China as a whole. You crack on m8.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

There is an assumption that because footballers earned more over their short careers they are in a position of disposable cash they can spare.

If you have an (say on average) ten year career, you'd not find a lender who is going to give you a 25 year mortgage on your 3 million quid house. You'll be shelling out a fortune on repayments and critical illness cover so that if you career comes to a premature end you aren't homeless, likewise trying to get a suitable pension pot in place for the end of a short career is going to be a stretch.

Yes, there will be some players who can probably afford it, but a lot of players already give strongly to charities.

I don't think it's for players to do anything.

Often agree with you, but tbh we're in a national emergency- indeed, not just national, but a pandemic FFS.

I understand business imperatives but deferral- and clearly the further down you go, the less feasible this is, but deferral at minimum should be something they consider for a while.

Because remember as well as the symbolism, that there will be low paid or below average paid staff at the clubs who don't necessarily get paid during this- staff on matchday as well, often low paid- catering, cleaning, variety of others- plus beyond football, pubs, restaurants in the vicinity of the clubs will be very hard hit.

Either we all make sacrifices or we shouldn't bother- that Stranraer player led the way tbh. It's a cliche but those with least can often do most.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I'm the same myself.  Felt like bleeding shyte mid-January with a persistent cough, high temperature, muscle aches and wheezing.  Luckily no other family member got it. 

This could be a situation like Aids, where research has indicated that it was likely present in the US from the mid-1960s and Africa from the 1930s:  Yet it wasn't identified as a "new" virus until 1981 and not given its name until 1982.

I was I’ll all over Xmas, but I didn’t have a cough, just ached, no energy etc.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I was I’ll all over Xmas, but I didn’t have a cough, just ached, no energy etc.

I guess there were  "normal" fluey viruses about, as ever, but there certainly seemed to be a lot more yuckyness around this winter than normal.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

The proof most definitely is in the pudding m8. SARS,Avian bird flu and now this all originated in China. You obviously have had good experience with them ,that's fine and I get it. Me personally, I'm probably going to lose my business so forgive me if I seem a little pissed of with China as a whole. You crack on m8.

Sorry to hear you might lose your business.  

7 minutes ago, Super said:

Great stuff. Well done China....

Reasons to be hopeful.  No need to be flippant 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, walnutroof said:

So kind! I did Charlton away Boxing Day and managed not to wipe out those in the away end, it was literally a case of felt alright one day and was sick the next 

Joking aside since posting that article on Facebook quite a few people have said similar that they had those symptoms from November/December onwards, this helps explain why it looks like there’s been a massive jump in cases when it’s actually been going on a lot longer than people thought, it also means a lot of those currently panicking at home with their toilet rolls are probably immune now to the virus 

Oh, Charlton, the game where our players took a lead then seemed to become fatigued and weakened and ended up losing and going on a horrible run... I'm not blaming you, but questions have to be asked...

• Haha 3

• Admin
13 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I guess there were  "normal" fluey viruses about, as ever, but there certainly seemed to be a lot more yuckyness around this winter than normal.

I blame the weather, we need a nice 2 week cold snap with hard frosts, my Gran always used to say that killed the germs - she was a housewife though, not a biologist......

• Haha 2