IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

12 minutes ago, walnutroof said:

So kind! I did Charlton away Boxing Day and managed not to wipe out those in the away end, it was literally a case of felt alright one day and was sick the next 

Joking aside since posting that article on Facebook quite a few people have said similar that they had those symptoms from November/December onwards, this helps explain why it looks like there’s been a massive jump in cases when it’s actually been going on a lot longer than people thought, it also means a lot of those currently panicking at home with their toilet rolls are probably immune now to the virus 

I was the same over Christmas and New Year.

Went to Millwall with my nephew end of February and he had same symptoms and cough developed during that day and evening. I was with him all day and late into the night and travelled on bus, tube, train and pub and caught nothing from him. He was off for 7 days and it makes me think that its likely that he had this virus.

Does make me wonder if I had the virus a couple of months earlier and now immune - no doubt I'll find out in the coming weeks/months.

Either way I do agree- its likely that a shed load of people have already had the virus and recovered.

9 minutes ago, Super said:

The number of confirmed cases of coronavirus in the UK has risen by 676 in the last 24 hours, taking the total to 2,626.

A lot more testing taking place.

Probably at least five times that number affected in reality..

Edited by bcfc01

52 minutes ago, walnutroof said:

Lots of people myself included think this virus has been around quite a bit longer than people think, I’m convinced i had Covid 19 over Christmas as i had almost the exact same symptoms but obviously nobody knew it existed at the time 

I found this online apologies my computer skills only go as far as copying and pasting a link https://www.ccn.com/coronavirus-patient-zero-may-have-started-pandemic-in-november-or-earlier/

Yep. I mentioned this all the way back on page 2 or 3 I think, of this thread. 
My sister in law regularly visits China for her work. She returned in mid December and felt terrible. She was told she had severe pneumonia and was given some pretty strong drugs. 
Me and the family spent Xmas at her house, for 3 days and every one of us was ill with these corona symptoms shortly afterwards. 

It’s fairly common knowledge now that the first cases of this in China were Nov/Dec so I’m convinced the sister in law came back with this. She was ill for weeks, really badly. And she passed it, in a milder form, onto all of us. 

She also said that literally everyone on her flight home was complaining of feeling ill. 

Edit - it was page 6

Edited by Harry

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

Yep. I mentioned this all the way back on page 2 or 3 I think, of this thread. 
My sister in law regularly visits China for her work. She returned in mid December and felt terrible. She was told she had severe pneumonia and was given some pretty strong drugs. 
Me and the family spent Xmas at her house, for 3 days and every one of us was ill with these corona symptoms shortly afterwards. 

It’s fairly common knowledge now that the first cases of this in China were Nov/Dec so I’m convinced the sister in law came back with this. She was ill for weeks, really badly. And she passed it, in a milder form, onto all of us. 

She also said that literally everyone on her flight home was complaining of feeling ill. 

It didn’t make sense that we were being told this virus only started in Wuhan at the end of December and just over two months later it’s made its way around the world and having so many well known people being tested positive 

On the plus side they’re closer to herd immunity than they thought and make the doomsday scenario we keep hearing about less likely 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Interesting line from Italy.

It is.

But all those people will be subject to a second wave with no immunity - do they keep doing that until a vaccine is produced ?

I don't really know the data but it seems to me that you need a bit of exposure to it to create immunity ?

Time will tell what the best strategy was..

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

It is.

But all those people will be subject to a second wave with no immunity - do they keep doing that until a vaccine is produced ?

I don't really know the data but it seems to me that you need a bit of exposure to it to create immunity ?

Time will tell what the best strategy was..

Let's be honest, this virus is still relatively new- lots of interpretations and debates scientifically.

It's interesting and promising, but who truly knows the best approach.

Bit of exposure may create immunity- but again so many unknowns.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

This chart suggests the govt is doing a whole lot more than those with childish jibes that they are not. These are facts. Look at Italy.. what a laugh. Even the US is only committing to 5% of GDP at present.

My faith remains in a govt who leans on a world renowned medical team and industry.

IMG_20200318_221303_364.jpg

Edited by havanatopia
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

This chart suggests the govt is doing a whole lot more than those with childish jibes that they are not. These are facts. Look at Italy.. what a laugh. Even the US is only committing to 5% of GDP at present.

My faith remains in a govt who leans on a world renowned medical team and industry.

And don't forget, that is confirmed, if more is needed the chancellor will authorise it

Italy are coming out of near bankruptcy  still,it is low considering the state they are in, unfortunately the horse bolted for Italy, and they are playing a awful game of catch up

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

That UK figure includes amounts available at loans. Loans that businesses prevented from trading by the virtual lockdown will have to repay when things get back to normal. assuming they haven't gone to the wall by then.

Here's someone explaining why Sunak's help package for small businesses is, like many things we've seen heralded in the past,  more window-dressing than real help:

https://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2020/03/17/rishi-sunaks-business-support-package-fails-at-almost-every-single-level-not-least-because-it-will-be-illegal-for-many-businesses-to-even-apply-for-it/

Edited by Red-Robbo
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Tbh, while I welcome the Government approach, loans or credit as it were?

It's hard to know which approach is right yet- UK approach, well a lot of renters will be out of work, square that circle.

Interesting these reports about it circulating in the UK around Xmas.

Was talking to my neighbour yesterday. She has quite a few clients that travel abroad frequently...and went down just before Xmas, wiped out, dry cough she couldn’t get rid of and then developed pneumonia and was treated for that. Took her 3 weeks to recover.

She may come in handy for my shopping soon!

Did have contact with her before and pretty soon after and didn’t catch it which, given I’ve had Lymes Disease which lowers your immune system, is pretty surprising. 

Amiens becomes 1st Ligue 1 club to cut employee wages amid COVID-19 pandemic

Ligue 1 strugglers Amiens SC have decided to engage in the practice of partial unemployment, a legal term in France, that sees all salaried employees receive a 16% pay cut until further notice.

This includes 1st team players. With no ticketing money in sight for the near future, ASC have made this decision in order to try to keep the club’s financial situation above water.

This has already been instituted by a number of French 1st division rugby clubs, but the Picardy side are the first in Ligue 1 to utilise this practice.

Amiens President Bernard Joannin has been in daily contact with manager Luka Elsner, and several important first team players about this decision. The Picardy side sit 19th in Ligue 1 and have relegation to fight against should football return.

Fair's fair, I don't know how the laws differ but...

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, walnutroof said:

Lots of people myself included think this virus has been around quite a bit longer than people think, I’m convinced i had Covid 19 over Christmas as i had almost the exact same symptoms but obviously nobody knew it existed at the time 

I found this online apologies my computer skills only go as far as copying and pasting a link https://www.ccn.com/coronavirus-patient-zero-may-have-started-pandemic-in-november-or-earlier/

I handn't thought it before, but much the same with me WR.

Was down in Wiltshire with the family and right as rain, then in one day during Christmas week I started to feel worse and worse - really bad flulike symptoms, aching joints, headache, generally feeling crap - so put myself to bed. My son commented that I must be ill as I never normally make any  fuss about being poorly.  I was left with a bad cough, but this is something Ive had on and off for years now and in January was prescribed an inhaler, as they think I'm asthmatic ( I had asthma when I was young and reckon it's returned) .

It does make you think, especially as I am in the higher risk bracket - over 65 and asthmatic!

Also, my son is a BA pilot, flying shortfall around Europe so it does make you wonder?

7 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

That UK figure includes amounts available at loans. Loans that businesses prevented from trading by the virtual lockdown will have to repay when things get back to normal. assuming they haven't gone to the wall by then.

Here's someone explaining why Sunak's help package for small businesses is, like many things we've seen heralded in the past,  is more window-dressing than real help:

https://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2020/03/17/rishi-sunaks-business-support-package-fails-at-almost-every-single-level-not-least-because-it-will-be-illegal-for-many-businesses-to-even-apply-for-it/

Same as Germany and others have done isn't it ?