IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Stock markets- and I mean globally as you can't have one nation shutting and leaving itself open- but should it be suspended globally for a period?

Whilst business is still functioning, which has to happen or we are all doomed the markets will remain open. 

The effect on pension funds is massive and tragic hence the scale of the central banks measures.

I know a bloke who is due to retire in June and he is in pieces. Poor bastard. Worked all his life and now facing either a poor retirement or working for another 10 years.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Whilst business is still functioning, which has to happen or we are all doomed the markets will remain open. 

The effect on pension funds is massive and tragic hence the scale of the central banks measures.

I know a bloke who is due to retire in June and he is in pieces. Poor bastard. Worked all his life and now facing either a poor retirement or working for another 10 years.

The markets must remain open then, even in these exceptional times?

It does sound terrible for your mate. I hear pensions have taken a real hit during this spell.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

22 minutes ago, hodge said:

C4 news, after the news of exams being cancelled someone claiming its likely to be decided by teacher assessments, if true then welcome to a shit tonne of lawsuits if students don't get the grades they need to attend the university they want. Personally at GCSE level I was predicted a D in Maths by my teacher but studied and revised hard and got a B, deciding by teacher assessments will set a lot of kids back majorly.

Yep was saying exactly this to my missus earlier.  I got 3 grades higher than I was predicted at A level due to busting my balls big time in the 3 months leading up to the exams so would’ve been screwed by this.  She would’ve benefited though as she actually did slightly worse than predicted.  I’d imagine they’ll be very lenient though in this situation.  

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-18/99-of-those-who-died-from-virus-had-other-illness-italy-says

Some interesting figures. Clearly one death is too many, clearly we must try and prevent the spread and clearly the vulnerable and elderly must be protected.

According to this though, 99% of those who died of it in Italy had pre-existing health conditions. Unsure if this was as of today or Tuesday.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

When we say lockdown, can we define lockdown?

People still need to eat- supermarkets for example.

People will still need to get pharmacy related stuff, but eat in particular.

I’m amazed at the lack of thought there is for these people that work in shops etc. No not a dig at you, it’s just that your post brought the subject up. I’m reading how people are able to work from home and isolate and expect the shops to be open and full of food and loo rolls, but how do they think the Provisions get there?

They might moan about waiting 20 minutes in a check out queue, but what about the person sat there serving being exposed to God knows what. Customers holding banknotes in their mouths whilst shoving their shopping in in bags before paying, yes I’ve see it but thankfully not been on the receiving end. 

Never mind teachers and health workers etc being exposed to the virus, if this carries on there will be no staff to man the shops in a few weeks, seriously. Add the fact that many of the staff are part time females largely responsible for the childcare in their families, and work the school hours generally, what will happen to them now the schools are shutting for weeks or months longer than expected? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, daored said:

Girlfriends sister has just text and two of her flat mates have symptoms of the virus and been advised to self isolate. Told her that the advice is all of them to self isolate for 14 days. Been told they’ll not going to and will carry on their daily lives 

Morons

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phantom said:

The EFL Board met today to discuss the implications of the COVID-19 outbreak for the League and its Clubs.

After receiving a detailed brief on a number of matters, the Board reaffirmed that the health and well-being of EFL staff, players, Club employees and supporters would remain central to all decisions in these fast-changing circumstances.

The EFL Board also acknowledges the positive role that member Clubs are playing in community solidarity, especially in supporting the vulnerable at this time.

2019/20 SEASON SCHEDULE

The primary objective, in order to protect competition integrity, is to deliver a successful conclusion to the 2019/20 season, subject to the over-riding priority around health and well-being. Plans continue to be developed on the agreed principle that it is in the best interests of the EFL and Clubs to complete the current season at the appropriate time.

The EFL is continuing regular dialogue with the Government and relevant health authorities and, as and when more information is known regarding the scale and extent of the coronavirus outbreak in this country, a decision will be taken on the resumption of the League’s fixtures.

Conversations will continue with the EFL’s counterparts at the FA, the Premier League, the PFA and the LMA to ensure football achieves a joined-up and collaborative approach.

FINANCIAL SUPPORT

As part of the League’s continued contingency planning, the Board heard the comments and observations from EFL Clubs, before discussing a number of issues including the current financial position and implications, insurance, regulatory matters and broadcasting arrangements.

Discussions centred on financial relief for Clubs in the short term and while there is no one single solution, measures are to be put in place to immediately assist with cash flow via a £50million short-term relief package.

This fund consists of the remaining Basic Award payments being advanced to Clubs immediately, with the remainder made up through interest-free loan facility available to Clubs, calculated in line with the EFL’s Article of Associations.

The cash injection is included as part of a series of measures, that includes potential Government support to help Clubs and their associated businesses through this period of uncertainty. The EFL welcomes last night’s announcement made by the Chancellor of the Exchequer, and is continuing discussions to understand how our Clubs can access the funding made available to support businesses.

In addition, we will continue our discussions with our football partners to determine how we can all get through this difficult, challenging and unprecedented situation.

CONTINGENCY PLANNING

The EFL, through a dedicated taskforce, continues to review the threat posed by the coronavirus pandemic, and its impact on our Clubs and competitions.

Alongside ensuring the 2019/20 season reaches a successful conclusion, protecting the EFL and its Clubs is a key priority for the EFL Board, who have today agreed on the following objectives to support future decision-making:

• Ensure the health and well-being of our Clubs’ employees, supporters and communities
• Make a positive contribution to the UK’s efforts to tackle coronavirus
• Protect the EFL’s financial model and Club finances
• Enable the EFL to continue to function as a business 
• Deliver a successful conclusion to the 2019/20 season

I honestly dont give a shit about the conclusion to the football season,  this transcends anything that has happened in my lifetime.  I honestly dont get what they think announcements like this achieve ( moral boost maybe ) The entire world has gone to shit because some belter wanted to eat a bat in a wet market. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Doesn't help when the Prime Minister's own father blithely announces on TV that he's still going to go to the pub.

Does him or the PM no favours at all saying that. If he does go to the pub there will be photos within minutes and a backlash - surely even Boris can tell the idiot to stay home.

• Admin
1 hour ago, RedRock said:

Anyone tried buying a freezer recently?

You know when you have the box that comes up showing ‘23 people are viewing this item’  well, last night looking at a Kenwood Freezer at Curry’s there were 3,200 people doing the same! 

Looking forward to a Summer spent eating frozen peas and  ice cream. 

My bait fridge freezer packed up, I have been totally unsuccessful in trying to get a cheap second hand one to replace it, you can usually get them for free.....

• Admin

I still want to know when they think the tipping point is, when too many people have no work, when the government coffers are running dry and society starts to break down, because if we don't get back to some normality, that'll happen - how big a step from panic buying to looting and rioting?  At some point they might have to decide to return to work and accept the consequences.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mozo said:

Is anyone else hearing rumours of total lockdown this week (and the 'royal' bloke dead)

Yes. 

Having been out and about all week it has to happen unfortunately as panic buying is going to get worse and also I have to say some of the older generation are ignoring the advice. The amount of 80+ year olds I've seen out and about is crazy. Ones that clearly have other health issues too and some even coughing and spluttering. 

Army will be involved too I reckon. Brace yourselves. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

I still want to know when they think the tipping point is, when too many people have no work, when the government coffers are running dry and society starts to break down, because if we don't get back to some normality, that'll happen - how big a step from panic buying to looting and rioting?  At some point they might have to decide to return to work and accept the consequences.

Government will have to fill the void. Perhaps employment of those out of work in socially useful work, while normal economic activity suspended. 

Rationing if necessary. This is a global problem, all must make sacrifices until such a time as it is resolved. 

Ideally, until the worst has been passed, all debt, bills etc waived. Then maybe businesses can merely be mothballed as opposed to wholesale bankruptcies and economic collapse. 

Easier said than done obviously...

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yes. 

Having been out and about all week it has to happen unfortunately as panic buying is going to get worse and also I have to say some of the older generation are ignoring the advice. The amount of 80+ year olds I've seen out and about is crazy. Ones that clearly have other health issues too and some even coughing and spluttering. 

I realise it’s an addiction, but the single maddest thing I’ve seen today was a bloke of around 70 having a fag outside a pub while spluttering. Insane.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yes. 

Like this

FB_IMG_1584566504649.jpg

28 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Apparently this was one persons rations for a week in the war, I assume bread and veg were added, but how would many cope with that.....

ration.jpg

Ah, but they did have 150 toilet rolls in the outside lab!

24 minutes ago, Paul G said:

Like this

FB_IMG_1584566504649.jpg

Bullshit. Overtaking a hummer on left. That if true is in America not the m25 :laugh:.

The crap people scaremongering with.

I have no doubt the military's going to be involved at some point.. but not driving yank hummers on the wrong side of the road :laugh:

Edited by TRL
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, TRL said:

Bullshit. Overtaking a hummer on left. That if true is in America not the m25 :laugh:.

The crap people scaremongering with.

I have no doubt the military's going to be involved at some point.. but not driving yank hummers on the wrong side of the road :laugh:

Yes, being ex Army I know its bullcrap just thought it slightly amusing amongst all the sad news we are dealing with at the moment. My apologies. 

2 minutes ago, Paul G said:

Yes, being ex Army I know its bullcrap just thought it slightly amusing amongst all the sad news we are dealing with at the moment. My apologies. 

Sorry that wasn't aimed at you it was aimed at the picture and caption on it

• Admin
35 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

That can't happen in a sovereign country.

So where does the money come from, if there is no tax take (at least virtually nothing) and it’s being paid out hand over fist.... there must be a finite point and before that I’d expect society to break down, far too many selfish people about for it not to.

12 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

So where does the money come from, if there is no tax take (at least virtually nothing) and it’s being paid out hand over fist.... there must be a finite point and before that I’d expect society to break down, far too many selfish people about for it not to.

Where does money always come from?