IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

33 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

You can’t just print money, it becomes worthless, we’ve seen it in other countries where things cost just a ridiculous amount, because the financial system isn’t viable.  

If you're concerned about this and wish to take on board some interesting and practical economics I'lI suggest what I always suggest, and that is to follow Richard Murphy's blog. 

3 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

This has all just got a bit too much for me. Following the info I posted above and my Nan being in hospital since that chest infection / pneumonia I sadly got a call this evening to say she’d passed away.

I don’t know if I had CV, I don’t know if I passed it to her and I don’t know if she had it, but anyone who isn’t taking this isolation and social distancing seriously (especially if it’s because you think you’ll be fine) please re think your decisions and who it could impact.

I was a bit dismissive of the panic at first and thought maybe some people were being over the top worrying but do what you’ve got to do people. I’ll be the last to compete about a lockdown now, and I certainly couldn’t care less what happens with football anymore.

please stay safe everyone x

Sorry for your loss :(

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

This has all just got a bit too much for me. Following the info I posted above and my Nan being in hospital since that chest infection / pneumonia I sadly got a call this evening to say she’d passed away.

I don’t know if I had CV, I don’t know if I passed it to her and I don’t know if she had it, but anyone who isn’t taking this isolation and social distancing seriously (especially if it’s because you think you’ll be fine) please re think your decisions and who it could impact.

I was a bit dismissive of the panic at first and thought maybe some people were being over the top worrying but do what you’ve got to do people. I’ll be the last to compete about a lockdown now, and I certainly couldn’t care less what happens with football anymore.

I’m very sorry for your loss, sincere condolences to you and your family. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I'm so sorry to hear about your nan. x

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Yes you can. If you have your own currency you can do this up to a point and the Bank of England have already said they will. Normally this would cause inflation but in the current climate who knows?

Quantitative easing. Governments just print more money. They did it during the Financial crisis of 2008. That’s going to look like small beer compared to this. And the usual rules of inflation don’t apply when you are attempting to stave off a depression.

I got taken to task a few days ago for saying that we needed universal income, where the government pays us all an amount to just keep going. Strangely enough a few days later even seasoned economists are saying the same thing. These are the most abnormal times many of us will ever go through. There has been nothing like it since the Second World War and some of the solutions to helping as many people survive as possible will have to be as radical and draconian as they were during wartime.

I was never very nostalgic for the supposed “blitz spirit” and I am even less so now. You only have to go to your local supermarket to already see some of the worst of human behaviour. Thankfully there are good people out there and the vast majority are acting appropriately but this definitely going to be a marathon not a sprint and we are all going to be personally tested in different ways.

As for the football, common sense says scrap next season and just somehow finish the fixtures from this one before summer 2021. However, vested interests, particular TV and betting, make me think that there will be a lot of pressure to start playing games again even if they all have to be behind closed doors.

Edited by Dr Balls
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, phantom said:

20200318_175945.jpg

All about how people interpret latest figures 

Damned if they do damned if they don

7 hours ago, Stortz said:

Strange how no other country in the world has made the same mistake, wouldn't you say?

Blimey, all you do is moan, moan, moan. Give it a break. You might enjoy it.

12 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Many countries are close to a vaccine breakthrough including the UK. But then you have to move on to clinical trials, production and roll out... That will take many months, years in normal times.

These aren't normal times though, I expect to see an unprecedented fast tracking of possible vaccines, the Australian use of HIV medicines sounds very promising they are already fairly tried and tested. 

Edited by pillred
Swap word

10 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

That UK figure includes amounts available at loans. Loans that businesses prevented from trading by the virtual lockdown will have to repay when things get back to normal. assuming they haven't gone to the wall by then.

Here's someone explaining why Sunak's help package for small businesses is, like many things we've seen heralded in the past,  more window-dressing than real help:

https://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2020/03/17/rishi-sunaks-business-support-package-fails-at-almost-every-single-level-not-least-because-it-will-be-illegal-for-many-businesses-to-even-apply-for-it/

Why would you post a link to nothing more than a personal opinions left wing blog? We know your opinion and it's respected but tagging on someone else's who has the same thoughts is supposed to do what exactly?

8 minutes ago, pillred said:

These aren't normal times though, I expect to see an unprecedented fast tracking of possible vaccines, the Australian use of HIV medicines sounds very promising they are already fairly tried and tested. 

I referred to fast tracking by saying months not years. We are some way off having a vaccine available to all... My guess is we could see roll out possibly as early as late autumn... But that would be a world record.

2 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

I referred to fast tracking by saying months not years. We are some way off having a vaccine available to all... My guess is we could see roll out possibly as early as late autumn... But that would be a world record.

As I said the drugs for HIV seem to work against Covid 19, and as they are tried and already tested should enable them to be fast tracked, as for having enough for all of us well your guess is as good as mine.

4 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Many countries are close to a vaccine breakthrough including the UK. But then you have to move on to clinical trials, production and roll out... That will take many months, years in normal times.

According to the Ozzie link, apparently because of the fact that both of the drugs that are being combined have been through the stringent tests before in other applications, it could reduce the testing times, lets hope so.

Edited by bpexile

5 hours ago, bpexile said:

A Possible Cure

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8115879/COVID-19-Australian-researchers-CURE-coronavirus.html

It's been reported here in Oz for a few days now so hopefully there is some truth in this story.

Reported earlier today

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/18/health/coronavirus-antiviral-drugs-fail.html

However if they find a vaccine from something that has already been approved then trials are massively reduced. 

One thing I’ve thought and could be miles of track here (I’m concrete technical not medical technical) If the common flu mutates then how do they get the vaccines ready each year? 

Edited by RedorDead BCFC
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Marcus. My condolences to you, Nans are precious are as all family, may she be at peace.

• Like 3

Anyone watch BBC Breakfast this morning. One whinging woman moaning about having to work from home ( looked like a big house) and having her 5 year old keep interrupting her, and also wants to know when she can send kids back to school. Absolutely incredible selfishness. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, oldstandrobin said:

Anyone watch BBC Breakfast this morning. One whinging woman moaning about having to work from home ( looked like a big house) and having her 5 year old keep interrupting her, and also wants to know when she can send kids back to school. Absolutely incredible selfishness. 

The poor little darlin'. Bet she's got a basement full of Andrex too. 

8 hours ago, MarcusX said:

@MarcusX condolences to you and all your family mate, you certainly shouldn't blame yourself in any way for this. Take care all x 

• Like 3

I’m in London and the shops are rammed pack with long queuing. People have gone from treating it as a joke to realising they could be in lock down with no food. The media and government are probably equally culpable for the hysteria and lack of control. If they don’t both get a grip I’m fearing civil disobedience. 

Edited by Odysseus

2 minutes ago, Odysseus said:

I’m in London and the shops are rammed pack with long queuing. The media and government are probably equally culpable for the hysteria that and lack of control. If they don’t both get a grip I’m fearing civil disobedience. 

It’s ok they will all be queuing in MacDonalds come Monday when the kids are out of school. 

41 minutes ago, Odysseus said:

I’m in London and the shops are rammed pack with long queuing. People have gone from treating it as a joke to realising they could be in lock down with no food. The media and government are probably equally culpable for the hysteria and lack of control. If they don’t both get a grip I’m fearing civil disobedience. 

There’s been no civil disobedience anywhere else with those stringent measures already in place. Why would there be here?  There won’t be, it’s just more scaremongering.  

• Like 1