IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Leaked out and an exodus before they could. Lombardy was the epicentre, but that's the gist of what happened in that respect. 

I fear the same has happened with respect to London, our epicentre  but I hope to be wrong!

@bcfc01 Think they also lifted kickdown too soon, at least early. As in bars- bars ffs- were restored to usual hours, reopened. 

Saw an article where a leader went into a bar, regional leader in Milan in late February, early March and encouraged people to come out etc, go for an aperitif, that kind of thing. 

Unsure if they closed the factories in Lombardy until recently which is even worse. That bit less clear however.

Number of errors- errors that we must learn from...

The UK has had more than two weeks to learn and, even now, the lockdown is only 'advisory' as it won't become law until Thursday, earliest.

I have witnessed this drama for weeks now and have had the distressing experience of meeting several hospital consultants - wise, professional and rational people - almost in tears as they have tried to explain to me their fears that the general population are just not taking this seriously enough.

Their prediction, based on the number of cases arriving in our local hospitals - in a 'privileged' area of France that is not considered a hotspot, or cluster - is that up to 10,000 will have died in France by the end of April. 

I was given this projected figure in early March, when the death toll was still in single figures - we are now in excess of 1,200. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, BanburyRed said:

Appalling animal husbandry. 

They seem to eat pretty well anything. Someone told me that Chinese have pet hens, pet chickens as in living with them in the hoke- dunno if that's true but their animal husbandry, their wet markets (is that the name?) seems to carry a significant risk.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Yep, 8 weeks holiday, time off whenever you want,  free tea and coffee, 6 months paid sick leave, pointless training courses and a final salary pension are now all yours. ?

Not exactly if waking up at 3am counts as a holiday, whilst passenger numbers are falling off a cliff lots of staff are being forced into self isolation which is one reason for the situation in London where people (some who aren’t meant to be there) are faced with busier trains 

I get a state pension, I work outside, I hardly ever see my clients sometimes never; I email quotes and invoices and get paid by bank transfer. I travel to work in a van and put derv in at self service petrol stations, I will continue to work whatever as there is much more danger of contact at Tescos etc and I hate nobs who insist on playing their music at full volume whilst getting pissed in their back gardens or cleaning their cars every 3 seconds.?

Edited by glos old boy

The Gov loan thing "help" for "all business`s" through the British business bank in fact directs you to a portal that directs you to 40 other companies that have signed up, including most banks and other finance companies; who are not interested if you are sailing close to the wind, overdrawn or dont have a business plan etc; and its just another debt anyway. Just the sort of companies who need it and need it this week.

Try your own bank well have but due to high call volumes and at least a hour and a half wait times, gave up.....nothing is for free...want money work for it...borrowing just puts off the payback day.

6 hours ago, TRL said:

I don't think you read my whole post or you would have read the part where I say those looking to pay cash in hand are just as culpable.

If someone is pushing the quote down and looking to offer cash for obvious reasons then the easy answer, don't accept the offer and insist on auditable payment. If everyone did that that the everyone would get paid a fair wage for a fair job without the unscrupulous undercutting. 

Anway i've made my point and it's only aimed at the cash in hand merchants, no one else.

You tarred an entire sector with the same brush.

If somebody has low tax returns, then naturally, they would only be entitled to minimal support.  However, currently, they don't even have that.

People always think the grass is greener on the other side.  Your view of the self-employed being some kind of Del boy figure with wads of cash in their pockets and under the floorboards being an example.

You should try living the life of the self-employed for a while.  My experience of them is that it's not so rosy - Certainly, many are not in the position to turn work down (to sit at home instead) because someone offers cash.  In fact, in this day and age, cash payments are becoming rarer and rarer as people realise the importance of keeping paper trails and proof of transfer of funds.

Many self-employed don't even have a choice - They are told that is how they are going to be employed by unscrupulous employers.  They work on zero hours contracts and don't enjoy many benefits and rights that others take for granted - Again, I urge you to try living that life for a while and see how you enjoy it.  Many will already have been told there is no work for them, no notice, no holiday pay, just dropped like a lead balloon with no income moving forward.

Taxi drivers are normally self-employed for example.  We all take them for granted - Pick up a phone and one appears to take us from A to B for a few pounds.  I dare say they don't declare all of their earnings.  I would go further and suggest that if they did, once running costs are factored in, they are more or less working for minimum wage, perhaps even less. 

Tax evasion is rife - From the pennies that the self employed don't declare, right up to the thousands of pounds that big businesses don't declare or the millionaire football manager who opens foreign bank accounts in the name of their dog.

• Like 5

Bit of advice please fellow reds, 

I really don’t want to be in work and I would classify mine as non-essential.

Unfortunately my employer doesn’t see it the same and is asking us to continue working, we are all PAYE so he/wewould be entitled to the 80% wage help if we were sent home or at least I think he is. 

My question is, do I need him to send us home before we are entitled to it? 
The way I see it is unless we’re sent home we can’t claim it. 

Hope you’re all well, stay safe! 

12 hours ago, Stortz said:

On Sunday, Singapore’s national development minister, Lawrence Wong, said the UK and Switzerland had “abandoned any measure to contain or restrain the virus”.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/24/confused-dangerous-flippant-worlds-media-pans-pms-handling-of-coronavirus-boris-johnson

This is bizarre. We've been in all-but lockdown in Switzerland since 16 March and large gatherings have been banned since 28 Feb. I thought they should have reacted earlier (as most European countries should have) but to lump the Swiss response in with the British one is totally misleading.

8 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

Don’t know about that mate, but this is more sinister than it appears. IMHO.

There is much more too this

The Russians think it was between us and the USA who started it in retaliation to Salisbury attacks ?

They’ve traced it back to the Wet Markets (live animals are slaughtered and sold in front of your eyes, like picking a lobster in some restaurants)  in Wuhan which also was the start of SARS which came from a Civvy Cat that the Chinese government banned the breading and selling. But the report I saw and can’t find showed that in Wuhan they was still doing it up until recently. 
This strain they are believing it comes from Pangolin. Which also originated from Wuhan Wet Market, and believe it was bat droppings falling into animal cages that eat it with their food.

That is the short version of the report I read and could be complete bollox as this self isolation is driving me bat shit crazy. 

59 minutes ago, Delta said:

If somebody has low tax returns, then naturally, they would only be entitled to minimal support.  However, currently, they don't even have that.

People always think the grass is greener on the other side.  Your view of the self-employed being some kind of Del boy figure with wads of cash in their pockets and under the floorboards being an example.

You should try living the life of the self-employed for a while.  My experience of them is that it's not so rosy - Certainly, many are not in the position to turn work down (to sit at home instead) because someone offers cash.  In fact, in this day and age, cash payments are becoming rarer and rarer as people realise the importance of keeping paper trails and proof of transfer of funds.

Many self-employed don't even have a choice - They are told that is how they are going to be employed by unscrupulous employers.  They work on zero hours contracts and don't enjoy many benefits and rights that others take for granted - Again, I urge you to try living that life for a while and see how you enjoy it.  Many will already have been told there is no work for them, no notice, no holiday pay, just dropped like a lead balloon with no income moving forward.

Taxi drivers are normally self-employed for example.  We all take them for granted - Pick up a phone and one appears to take us from A to B for a few pounds.  I dare say they don't declare all of their earnings.  I would go further and suggest that if they did, once running costs are factored in, they are more or less working for minimum wage, perhaps even less. 

Tax evasion is rife - From the pennies that the self employed don't declare, right up to the thousands of pounds that big businesses don't declare or the millionaire football manager who opens foreign bank accounts in the name of their dog.

I'm self employed and totally agree with this.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

The Russians think it was between us and the USA who started it in retaliation to Salisbury attacks ?

They’ve traced it back to the Wet Markets (live animals are slaughtered and sold in front of your eyes, like picking a lobster in some restaurants)  in Wuhan which also was the start of SARS which came from a Civvy Cat that the Chinese government banned the breading and selling. But the report I saw and can’t find showed that in Wuhan they was still doing it up until recently. 
This strain they are believing it comes from Pangolin. Which also originated from Wuhan Wet Market, and believe it was bat droppings falling into animal cages that eat it with their food.

That is the short version of the report I read and could be complete bollox as this self isolation is driving me bat shit crazy. 

Spot on there R or D. This vid explains it quite well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Delta said:

Where have I tarred all self employed with the same brush.. I would revisit what I posted rather what you think I posted.

I know what self employed is, I have been there done that in the past and that is why the dodgy ones give the rest a bad name and hence it was aimed at them. 

9 hours ago, wood_red said:

I don't think anyone will have sympathy at all for anyone who has dodged tax and they will get less now. The issue to me with the ease at which people think all self employed are tax dodgers is ridiculous though (and probably pay cash for jobs themselves). It seems to me that many seem to think that all self employed people are all in the building trade or jobs where they all go around houses to do jobs (and ask for cash).

Many self employed people will run businesses where they don't even take cash at all, and sole traders who will have every single transaction that has gone through their bank accounts etc.

I was self employed for many years but......now run a LTD company with just me and my son in it; point being is there any need for anyone to be self employed at all? we have definately lost contracts to cash in hand people so why not run a LTD company, it is a bit of a pain in the ass sometimes but everything is in plain sight :dunno:

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

They seem to eat pretty well anything. Someone told me that Chinese have pet hens, pet chickens as in living with them in the hoke- dunno if that's true but their animal husbandry, their wet markets (is that the name?) seems to carry a significant risk.

I saw a video on twitter. A Chinese women found a birds nest and ate a couple of baby birds straight out of it. Utterly vile 

10 hours ago, Robin-hugh-blind said:

That's very assumptive. In fact any self employed subcontractors pay there tax in advance and its paid by the person that pays them. It isn't like it used to be. Everyone pays by bank transfer. I would say anyone with a turn over of £35k plus simply cannot avoid paying the correct amount of tax. Only the small 'cash in hand' workers have the opportunity to avoid tax. And this will (or should) bite them on the arse now. 

Same as freelance graphic designers. Most companies won’t hire you unless you are a limited company or are registered with an umbrella company, who sort out your NI and tax. I’m registered self employed with HMRC so can do self assessment but am employed by Parasol, the umbrella company, even though I don’t have any work at the moment. 

1 hour ago, MichaelRobartes said:

This is bizarre. We've been in all-but lockdown in Switzerland since 16 March and large gatherings have been banned since 28 Feb. I thought they should have reacted earlier (as most European countries should have) but to lump the Swiss response in with the British one is totally misleading.

It's because they abandoned mass testing last month, like the UK did:

https://www.cnnmoney.ch/shows/big-picture/videos/coronavirus-updates-switzerland-3

1 hour ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

You're exactly right, I posted this link confirming the biological origin and probable source of infections to human earlier in the thread. It's a bat virus originally that jumped to humans from pangolins:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/03/200317175442.htm

Of course this hasn't stopped the tin foil hat brigade making grandiose conspiracy theories about biological weapons etc.

9 hours ago, Frenchay Red said:

Exactly. There's a lot of ignorant comments on here.

And as I pointed out much earlier in this thread CIS self employed have already contributed too much tax during the present financial year. That's the way it's done.

As HMRC issue tax rebates following CIS tax returns against a sub contractor's UTR I don't see why it would be that difficult to provide the appropriate financial support by the same method.

IR35 cases may be more difficult/complicated, I have no experience with this. But getting help to at least some CIS self employed would be a start and demonstrate that something was being done.

CIS is only the construction industry.  As has been pointed out there are an awful lot of self-employed on top of that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Was in the morning news that a British citizen died in Hungary yesterday due to COVID19. RIP!

Listen to the authorities, share work duties with colleagues (who works from home, who's going in a few days a week if possible, it breaks monotony).

We have relatively low confirmed ill people (227 till today), people took the stay at home agenda surprisingly well and disciplined.

Stay safe (and sane) everybody!

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, TRL said:

Where have I tarred all self employed with the same brush.. I would revisit what I posted rather what you think I posted.

I know what self employed is, I have been there done that in the past and that is why the dodgy ones give the rest a bad name and hence it was aimed at them. 

Making out that people are going around pocketing thousands of pounds cash in hand.  It just doesn't happen.  Who would pay in this way?

You might get a plumber who calls out and changes a washer on a tap or an electrician who comes out to repair a light - These things, people may well just pay cash for.  It might save them £20.  However, if you have an extension built, you're hardly likely to have £40K sitting around the house, nor would you want to pay cash.  You would want evidence of transactions so that if there is any dispute, you can show what you've paid.

I think you are being naive if you think people pocket thousands of pounds in this way - Most would be traceable anyway.

In any case, I don't think self employed are asking for their entire income to be paid, just some kind of support.  I watch the news and I see people going to building sites, not because they want to but because they have no choice.  How can it be fair or reasonable for one builder to get 80% of his wages paid but his workmate (who does exactly the same job) get nothing just because they are employed differently?  To be, it just demonstrates the abuse of workers that goes on and everyone is happy for it to do so when it suits them.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

As the old saying goes,if it’s got legs and isn’t a table,the Chinese will eat it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Thanks! It still doesn't really make sense to me since the key in Switzerland would seem to be getting the Ticino, the Romandie and Zurich under control, and the mortality rate is, so far, fairly low. I read yesterday that they were testing around 8,000 a day, which seems like a lot from a total population of 8.6 million but I can't find the total number of tests carried out.

I think that the measures they've taken are proportionate, but were probably at least a week late in coming, though you could say that of almost all the Europeans. That said, we probably won't see the results - good or bad - of the strategy until next week.

57 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

CIS is only the construction industry.  As has been pointed out there are an awful lot of self-employed on top of that.

Of course, not disputing that for one moment. And for many different types of self employed it's obviously very difficult to sort out.

Just suggesting that getting help to CIS self employed via their UTR, in the same way their over payment of  tax is refunded, would be relatively straightforward.

My view, fwiw, is a subsistance payment to everyone. Same amount, enough to cover bills, food etc. And so what if some benefit, while others will find it inadequate. At least it would help the vast majority and enable people to stay home and stop the virus spreading and not become destitute.

15 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Thanks! It still doesn't really make sense to me since the key in Switzerland would seem to be getting the Ticino, the Romandie and Zurich under control, and the mortality rate is, so far, fairly low. I read yesterday that they were testing around 8,000 a day, which seems like a lot from a total population of 8.6 million but I can't find the total number of tests carried out.

I think that the measures they've taken are proportionate, but were probably at least a week late in coming, though you could say that of almost all the Europeans. That said, we probably won't see the results - good or bad - of the strategy until next week.

Some info here;

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/switzerland/

And here;

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Edited by bcfc01
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Red white and red said:

Is this a lockdown? Yesterday there were 4 or 5 creatures gathered in the street in close proximity with each other, drinking and listening to loud music. Whilst their unwashed and vile children were running all over the road and other driveways. 

It seems to me this is party time for the unemployable scrotes. They clearly have no perception of what is being asked of us by the government. Really gets up my nose!! ?

Those people will be the ones taking a bed away from a vulnerable person as well.