IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

I just don't see how governments will be able to maintain lockdowns for months on end. They seem to have got themselves into a postion where there is no way out. I can't see society sticking to this for more than a couple of months. So hopefully we can start again by July, maybe with empty grounds. 

12 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Lawyers will be rubbing their hands, football financial directors will be rubbing their eyes in disbelief at the witholding/return of broadcast income.

In fact, I'd say the PL has 750 million reasons not to.

Pops - There will be no lawyers rubbing their hands.  The TV companies are covered by both contract and statute.  This is why the PL are so keen to get the season played out - They know the alternative is to miss out on circa £750m.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

But for every Leeds & Liverpool there’s a Villa. 

We are not your rivals.

Just because we took Kodjia off you doesn't mean there is a rivalry, other than in your bitter heads.

You just worry your pretty heads over Bristol Rovers and Bath City and leave the big boys to contest big boy rivalries.

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Delta said:

We are not your rivals.

Just because we took Kodjia off you doesn't mean there is a rivalry, other than in your bitter heads.

You just worry your pretty heads over Bristol Rovers and Bath City and leave the big boys to contest big boy rivalries.

Haha, what are you on doing on little Bristol City’s forum? We’re not even in the same division as you?!

• Like 1

Hi Delta.Just wanted to thank you for your regular visits to our forum to let us know how rubbish we are.Most of us are pretty well aware though.Is this a special treat just for us or do you do it to other clubs too?If you get a time in between visits maybe I could recommend a good book for you .Have a great weekend. 

Screenshot_20200404-131554_Chrome.jpg

5 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

Teams who have nothing to play for, towards the end of the season will not need to fulfil fixtures,

Impossible, you could have a team with nothing to play for due to play similar teams for 3 weeks  in a row then a fixture against someone who does, all fixtures will need to be fulfilled

• Like 1

First signs of the possible financial impact if season not completed.

https://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/news/2020/april/50-million-shortfall-if-clarets-dont-finish-the-season/

Burnley run a pretty tight ship and have fairly low matchday income so God knows at other clubs!!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

5 hours ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Earlier on in the crisis they showed live Italian /French league  games behind closed doors - like watching a better class of pub football without the passion.

Fans are part of the game and playing behind closed doors should be opposed at every level, it is even handed out as a punishment.

Imagine watching Liverpool celebrate winning the league at an empty Anfield .

Football is all about fans and without them really what is the point. 

Yes but if Liverpool have the stark choice of celebrating their title win in an empty ground or not winning the title at all, it's an easy choice. 

5 hours ago, 054123 said:

What annoys me is how everything is driven by money. Football isn’t important, it’s just a game, yet somehow we’ve let money and greed consume it. The truth is it really wouldn’t matter if we just stopped this season and started again in August/September.

It really doesn’t matter. 

When you pose arguments for why we should finish it, the truth is they always boil down to money.

Sad and depressing .

Welcome to capitalism! Rightly or wrongly, money will dictate everything. 

2 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

I just don't see how governments will be able to maintain lockdowns for months on end. They seem to have got themselves into a postion where there is no way out. I can't see society sticking to this for more than a couple of months. So hopefully we can start again by July, maybe with empty grounds. 

Well they're talking about waves of the virus. So when the NHS can cope, we relax from lockdown to social distancing for a few months. The next wave of virus then overwhelms NHS again so we go back into lockdown. By now, most citizens have had the virus and we can ride it out til the vaccine comes. 3 lock downs would surely do the job, but they might just do 2.

3 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

No i wont the season to finish whether it be in July or August. Then a 1 month break, then into next season.The players have had enough breaks this year wot with International and Corona virus.

Let's be honest here they are men in their teens twenties and thirties a fortnight off then a fortnights training should be ample time, for people like me who used to work 60 hours a week most weeks in steel fabrication I was lucky if I could have two weeks off consecutively so would have little sympathy if they complained of "being too tired"

Edited by pillred
Add comment

The season can not finish UNTIL it is deemed safe for supporters to attend, if that’s not possible for several months then decisions have to be made to made to void the season.

Games on TV will encourage people to watch together at home. Liverpool fans will get together to watch them the league , same for Leeds fans and other clubs getting promoted or winning the league. It creates problems that simply we don’t need

2 hours ago, Delta said:

We are not your rivals.

"BIG BOYS" you are even more delusional than I thought. Villa are far from being anything in the premier. 

It's funny how your biggest rivals are the blue nose from small Heath 

Your supporters are just like Leeds supporters you harp on about what a massive club you are yet you're still living off 1982.

At best you're a yo yo club between the prem and championship, you and everyone else knows your going down when this season gets completed so we'll see you next season. 

At least you will then be able to experience a decent ground not like your shit pit that has stood still for 30 years making it one of the worst grounds in your league. 

I hope you enjoy the misery of your upcoming relegation 

Edited by Alan Dicks' Barmy Army

3 hours ago, Delta said:

We are not your rivals.

You are right there is no rivalry. Just most on here dont like Villa.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

"BIG BOYS" you are even more delusional than I thought. Villa are far from being anything in the premier. 

Your supporters are just like Leeds supporters you harp on about what a massive club you are yet you're still living off 1982.

At best you're a yo yo club between the prem and championship, you and everyone else knows your going down when this season gets completed so we'll see you next season. 

At least you will then be able to experience a decent ground not like your shit pit that has stood still for 30 years making it one of the worst grounds in your league.

Ooh, don't know.

Sold for £56.7m don't you know. :whistle2:

Worth nearly £13.1m more than KP Stadium which is based in the East Midlands. Has naming rights, has seen 6 successive seasons of PL football, a PL title and CL football. Some or all of which can surely enhance value.

(Granted, the owners were the ones who purchased)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Delta said:

We are not your rivals.

Was it you that burnt down the 5G tower in Brum?  You do  seem like a tinfoil hat kind of person.

3 hours ago, Delta said:

We are not your rivals.

Ahhh. I think you misunderstand. 

I have the misfortune of working in Birmingham (thank Christ I live in Worcestershire) so I have first hand experience of what utter ? ?s the majority of Villa fans are. Some of the very worst out there. Maybe you’re different, although looking at your posting history, I’d suggest probably not. 

Give me the thicko blues fans, or the by and large down to earth baggies fans over your lot any day of the week. They both lack the sense of self entitlement the Villa lot have.

I look forward to seeing you next season - either struggling in the Prem (season voided) minus Grealish, or back in the Championship, also minus Grealish - who incidentally is as big a bellend as most of his fans. 

• Flames 1

35 minutes ago, Super said:

You are right there is no rivalry. Just most on here dont like Villa.

Since August 2016 when we signed Kodjia.

Shows exactly what a bunch of two bob, bitter bunch of small timers you are.  Prior to that, our paths hadn't crossed for donkeys years.

47 minutes ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

I love the sterotypes I read on here.  Nobody goes around living off 82 and they never have.  Likewise, Leeds - I never see them harping on about being a massive club either (although they are too big for the Championship.

As for being a yo-yo club. We've been relegated once since the PL started and that was due to an owner taking what money out of the club that he could.

You think just because you have a new little ground that it's any good?  Ask supporters across the land their favourite stadium.  Villa Park will be right up there whereas I doubt most will even know where Ashton Gate is.

1 hour ago, daored said:

The season can not finish UNTIL it is deemed safe for supporters to attend, if that’s not possible for several months then decisions have to be made to made to void the season.

Games on TV will encourage people to watch together at home. Liverpool fans will get together to watch them win the league , same for Leeds fans and other clubs getting promoted or winning the league. It creates problems that simply we don’t need

39 minutes ago, Delta said:

I love the sterotypes I read on here.  Nobody goes around living off 82 and they never have.  Likewise, Leeds - I never see them harping on about being a massive club either (although they are too big for the Championship.

As for being a yo-yo club. We've been relegated once since the PL started and that was due to an owner taking what money out of the club that he could.

You think just because you have a new little ground that it's any good?  Ask supporters across the land their favourite stadium.  Villa Park will be right up there whereas I doubt most will even know where Ashton Gate is.

Seriously mate hopefully self isolation will soon finish and you find other ways to spend your days

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Delta said:

Villa’s last major trophy: 1996

Birmingham’s last major trophy: 2011

Unlike us, you are living in your blue neighbour’s shadow. ?

53 minutes ago, Delta said:

Since August 2016 when we signed Kodjia.

Shows exactly what a bunch of two bob, bitter bunch of small timers you are.  Prior to that, our paths hadn't crossed for donkeys years.

I can only think your lot must be fervently wishing the season is cancelled as that's the only way you will be playing premier league football next season otherwise it's sure to be two relegations since the Premier league started, and I have a feeling if you do come down a Sunderland is on the cards as you go into financial meltdown and lose any decent players you have currently got where as we hope it does get finished as we have a reasonable chance of making the playoffs and who knows replacing you.

5 minutes ago, pillred said:

I can only think your lot must be fervently wishing the season is cancelled as that's the only way you will be playing premier league football next season otherwise it's sure to be two relegations since the Premier league started, and I have a feeling if you do come down a Sunderland is on the cards as you go into financial meltdown and lose any decent players you have currently got where as we hope it does get finished as we have a reasonable chance of making the playoffs and who knows replacing you.

You couldn’t be more wrong.

cancelling obviously guarantees staying up.  However, we have a game in hand over all our rivals. Furthermore, we have 6 games out of the remaining 10 at home. Some of those rivals only have 4 home games left.  Finally, our key midfielder will be fit enough to return from injury. Our slide started when he came out of the team.

we have no chance of doing a Sunderland and if we go down, we’d have over £100m to spend on players without even touching the parachute money.

you lot are miles off the likes of Fulham, forest and Brentford. You’ve no chance of promotion.

• Haha 3

You beat me to it @Shaun Taylor

Thought a bit better of Liverpool tbh, thought they might not do this.

Bit of a Tottenham type move though not quite as stark...

Got it up in front of me.

Last two seasons, going from 2017/18 and 2018/19 in that order:

POST Tax Profit- £106,006,000 and £33,392,000 respectively.

Tottenham's is similar but worse.

Or if we want to go to the Liverpool Holding/Parent Company route, the profit falls- but not by much!

POST Tax Profit- £100,721,000 and £29,059,000 respectively.

Yet, they're furloughing non playing staff.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous