IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

43 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Okay, partial distancing...

We have (at a guess) 15,000 season ticket holders and at another rough guess of 30,000 seats - give or take.

Would there be an argument that when some restrictions are lifted, you allow people back in the stadium in a 'seat next to you must remain empty' or the row in front of you must be empty type arrangement?

Or is that just asking for trouble.

I was thinking about that as more of a phased returned to full sociability.

Not a bad idea...that's what the Gas were doing before lockdown. ?

Was thinking last night, plenty of time to do it :laugh:, but with the games happening behind closed doors and possibly shown live on TV, would it be a idea to have crowd chants via the pa system for home advantage, make it a less sterile and give home team a little advantage, maybe having a limit on how many times you can use it. 

Rubbish idea I know but just a throught. 

• Hmmm 1

12 minutes ago, BcfcDuncs said:

Was thinking last night, plenty of time to do it :laugh:, but with the games happening behind closed doors and possibly shown live on TV, would it be a idea to have crowd chants via the pa system for home advantage, make it a less sterile and give home team a little advantage, maybe having a limit on how many times you can use it. 

Rubbish idea I know but just a throught. 

Waiting for a robbored can’t hear it coming from the dolman speakers anyway comment 

2 hours ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

All results from this season are erased it never happened ,start a new season when safe to do so .with teams lining up like they did last August.

In this world crisis football is way down the agenda , and for the life of me I can't understand why convoluted ideas are being proposed in order to complete the season.

If fans can't attend really what is the point. ?

I’ve been a staunch believer in “finish the season...whenever”, but I’m starting to wane on this.  But we need to u derstand the financial ramifications of voicing the season.  I’ve read conflicting views re TV money, one camp saying Sky want £700m back, another suggesting they’ll either tag it onto the end if existing deal other ask for more televised games over the rest of the deal.

If they take their money back, there will undoubtedly be several clubs unable to carry on, and big casualties at that, god only knows how each division would structure in that case.

Its a mess....but actually not that important in the grand scheme of things.  It will be whatever it is, and there will be winners and losers.  Although 7th and with a tilt at the play-offs, the odds are against us getting promoted, so another season in the Champ kinda is no skin off our nose.  Financially we are better placed than many clubs to “we go again” next season.

Personally more worried by deaths, hospital admissions etc at the mo’.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, redpole said:

So with the lack of atmosphere at these games, do you think city could put a atmosphere tape over the tannoy with singing to get a atmosphere going???

This doesn’t make sense now you’ve taken the heading away, so I will add it here. With Games likely to be played behind closed doors, how can we improve a atmosphere??

That story sums up football at the moment, season needs to be played to save clubs paying back money.

All this stalling isn’t about player or fan safety, it’s how clubs can survive and make as much money as they can.

Cant see how they can play those games at Wembley, each team will need a hotel if there’s no travel. 
Each member of hotel staff will need to be tested daily for they will I presume be going home to families each day.

Camera/tv people will have to be locked away, Wembley staff will have to be tested daily.

All this testing and at moment not enough for key workers to be done, and get results back ASAP. PL will be able to get it all done no problem.

• Like 1

I’m starting to think it’s inevitable that this season will be called off. It won’t be fair, but it seems impossible to finish it without messing up the world football calendar for the next several years. 

If it is cancelled, I’m confident that the 20/21 season will begin as usual in August. By that time the pendulum of public opinion will have swung back towards saving jobs, livelihoods and the economy if you ask me. 

I hope it gets cancelled, from a selfish bristol city point of view I wouldn’t even want us to win the play offs with no fans there, no celebration in Bristol etc. Would ruin that moment forever

Having said that, and sorry to sound so negative, but the introduction of fans back into large spectator sports is more likely to be in over a years time than in August for the new season. 

Edited by Bouncearoundtheground
  • Like 1

On 13/04/2020 at 09:30, mozo said:

What's the summary Mr P for those of us who refuse to click on that site?

Summary mozo (and anyone else who won't click- say what we will about the paper but it does have interesting and good sports coverage). 

Anyway, Story 1. Sky (and like the BT) in talks with PL. Adjusting deal, looks likely no significant rebate. £150m at most and that'll be to foreign broadcasters, it could be more but many are longstanding partners and open to negotiations it would seem. 

Story 2, is basically that Sky (and I assume BT) get access to managers and players during lockdown. Think it's managers once evert 4 weeks and players every two. Sky certainly.

Anyway regardless of the regularity of access, the broadcasters are not to ask said interviewees about when PL returning or about the impact of covid 19. Because if they do, said access will be revoked.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Thanks 1

WOW the vote in Scottish football whether to end the league early, Dundee originally voted no, a copy of their vote slip was posted online, claimed their vote hadn't been received (how would they know? Scottish source says clubs votes were anonymous and not revealed, just the total) by which time news of a 7-2 total in favour of finishing early had leaked/been announced, Dundee then take another couple of days while 'considering' aka negotiating (they want a league restructure) and then vote yes to end the season. 

So Partick Thistle apparently will be relegated 2 points behind the team ahead but with a game in hand.... This could get messy given how Dundee have handled it!

8 minutes ago, hodge said:

WOW the vote in Scottish football whether to end the league early, Dundee originally voted no, a copy of their vote slip was posted online, claimed their vote hadn't been received (how would they know? Scottish source says clubs votes were anonymous and not revealed, just the total) by which time news of a 7-2 total in favour of finishing early had leaked/been announced, Dundee then take another couple of days while 'considering' aka negotiating (they want a league restructure) and then vote yes to end the season. 

So Partick Thistle apparently will be relegated 2 points behind the team ahead but with a game in hand.... This could get messy given how Dundee have handled it!

Shambles! Taste of things to come here?

Could all clubs be given the prize money equivalent to the last place in their league to help them? If the season finishes or is cancelled at a later date then clubs receive relevant extra money according to their position

3 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

Shambles! Taste of things to come here?

Perhaps but its not the decision to end its how it ending up resting on one clubs decision when they know it hinges on them, no club should have been allowed that power

1 hour ago, hodge said:

It is indeed a shambles and a travesty - if The Jags had won their game in hand they’d have potentially been out of the relegation zone with 8 games to go, this ain’t over ...

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

It is indeed a shambles and a travesty - if The Jags had won their game in hand they’d have potentially been out of the relegation zone with 8 games to go, this ain’t over ...

Imagine if it comes to a vote for the championship, Charlton would be relegated over Milddlesbrough because Boro won their previous game..... against Charlton, if Charlton had known a draw would have seen them stay in the division you can bet they'd have played differently

• Like 1