IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

15 hours ago, 054123 said:

I appreciate I’m on a forum about a club I dearly love, but does anyone else feel like I do, in that I really couldn’t give a **** about this season.

If the new season starts in August, fine. If not, I don’t really care.

Completely agree with you, a season for me is all about the momentum of a season, the highs & lows and hoping you have something to play for at the end. 
This season stopped so long ago it would feel like a promotional mini tour, almost like a pre-season but without the fans, just think it would be sterile. 

• Like 1

On 14/05/2020 at 07:27, MarcusX said:

Would love to see this, but I just cant see it being safe. Currently being discussed on GMB

Firstly how can we justify testing every footballer when frontline staff still arent getting tests/results quickly enough? Our capacity for testing has dropped since we hit that debatable 100k target. 60k people tested on 11th May.

Secondly, you cant trust fans not to congregate. People will meet in parks, round houses etc to watch the football. If Liverpool / Leeds are about to win their first league in years, do you think their fans will all stay at home and watch on their TV, in the hight of summer? No chance I'm afraid.

Then there's the argument that people cant see both parents/grandchildren etc but 20+ football matches can take place across the country?

Hi Marcus, I'll try to address your points:

Testing frontline staff is the responsibility of the government. Testing footballers would be the duty of care of the EFL. If the govt is not fulfilling its duty we should look at them, not the EFL for managing to do their job.

Regards not trusting fans, I agree there could he isolated incidents but I don't think we can approach this with a distrust of our community. It will be important to share the right message and take some practical measures (plus threat of terrorism offences!)

And you mentioned that it would be odd if people can't see family members whilst footballers can play football... Well by mid June, the lockdown will likely have relaxed, and meeting both parents would probably be tolerated.

By then, we will likely be moving to a social distancing approach again with shops, cafes and restaurants opening. Only the vulnerable should be in lockdown by the time football is played.

Footballers are very low risk, and will receive VIP testing and treatment. 

• Like 1

• Admin

Just watching back an interview with Peterboro chairman Darragh McAthony he said he's been quoted that testing his players etc would cost his club £200k - £300k.

BUT for his club he woould be looking at having to pay back upwards of £800k to season ticket holders and sponsors

He said the bigger clubs would be looking at refunds of £700k + in season ticket refunds alone

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, phantom said:

Just watching back an interview with Peterboro chairman Darragh McAthony he said he's been quoted that testing his players etc would cost his club £200k - £300k.

BUT for his club he woould be looking at having to pay back upwards of £800k to season ticket holders and sponsors

He said the bigger clubs would be looking at refunds of £700k + in season ticket refunds alone

£700k was my estimate of City’s refund.

League Two's season has been brought to an early conclusion following discussions between clubs and the English Football League.

The final table will be decided using a points-per-game method, but promotion and relegation has yet to be finalised.

There are still plans for the play-offs to take place as usual, with two-legged semi-finals and then a final.

↑ Swindon Town – 1.92

↓ Crewe Alexandra – 1.86

↔ Plymouth – 1.84

↑ Cheltenham – 1.78

↓ Exeter City – 1.76

↔ Colchester – 1.57

↔ Northampton – 1.57

↔ Port Vale – 1.54

↔ Bradford – 1.46

↑ Forest Green – 1.36

↓ Salford City – 1.35

↑ Walsall – 1.31

↓ Crawley Town – 1.30

↑ Newport – 1.28

↓ Grimsby – 1.27

↔ Cambridge Utd – 1.22

↔ Leyton Orient – 1.17

↔ Carlisle Utd – 1.14

↔ Oldham – 1.11

↔ Scunthorpe – 1.08

↔ Mansfield – 1.06

↔ Macclesfield – 0.97

↔ Morecambe – 0.86

↔ Stevenage – 0.61

• Thanks 1

An indicative vote was taken. Voting was unanimous and all clubs decided that three teams will be promoted to League One, the League Two play-offs will still take place, and no teams will be relegated to the National League.

• Admin
11 minutes ago, hodge said:

Sky Sports seem to indicate that Stevenage won't be relegated from League 2... basically hands the premier league permission to not relegated their own clubs

Don't forget there is an extra place to fill with Bury going under

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

• Admin
49 minutes ago, Super said:

An indicative vote was taken. Voting was unanimous and all clubs decided that three teams will be promoted to League One, the League Two play-offs will still take place, and no teams will be relegated to the National League.

Now this decision just has to be agreed by the FA and EFL

As things stand I am sure that they will jump at the chance as long as they don't suffer too badly financially

This vote actually makes the decision easier for the FA and EFL

I’m pretty much resigned to City missing out if games don’t restart, because none of the PPG methods work for us, however....

....Peter Loehman, a Danish, Sheffield Wed fan, who I follow on Twitter has come up with another method.  His method is less about finishing the remaining 100+ games and buying some time to complete a new form of playoffs.

Ultimately, he proposes more of an elimination type playoff, where we get a one off chance away to Forest.

if we win that we’d go into a 2 legged play off.  It basically gives clubs down to 8th (in Peter’s model we fall below Millwall based on the strength of our remaining fixtures) a chance.  Ditto for the clubs in relegation battle.

It basically requires 14 matches to be played, instead of the 113.

• Like 1

Clubs have voted to end the season and decide positions on a points per game basis with no relegation and still to contest the playoffs, league one couldn't agree and will sit again on Monday. This topic is on the coronavirus thread as well I have just noticed so maybe look on that one.

Edited by pillred
Add content

• Admin
15 minutes ago, mozo said:

Whichever basement team wins League 2 this season, knows in their hearts it doesn't really count. 

It will be the tax dodgers, typical of them to win a tainted trophy

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’m pretty much resigned to City missing out if games don’t restart, because none of the PPG methods work for us, however....

Unless this country goes into complete lockdown the league will be finished

The numbers coming out of London last week are astonishing

15 minutes ago, pillred said:

Clubs have voted to end the season and decide positions on a points per game basis with no relegation and still to contest the playoffs, league one couldn't agree and will sit again on Monday. This topic is on the coronavirus thread as well I have just noticed so maybe look on that one.

Thats what we're hearing here

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/18452896.swindon-town-set-crowned-champions-league-two-clubs-vote-abandon-season/

1 hour ago, Super said:

Shall be interesting if the FA agree with all of this.. on one hand would be harsh to relegate Stevenage  but for league 2 to have play offs and then all of leagues below not to seems somewhat quite cruel?