IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

10 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Been offered an £80 cash out for my bet on Hull to go down.

Was £5 at 60-1.

Depends how skint you are ?? Personally I'd let it run. They are in freefall. No win in 11, losing 9 and drawing 2. Lost several of their best players in last window as well. Take £80 if you desperately need the money. If not £300 is very nice. Great bet though!!

• Like 2

Just now, OldlandReddies said:

Depends how skint you are ?? Personally I'd let it run. They are in freefall. No win in 11, losing 9 and drawing 2. Lost several of their best players in last window as well. Take £80 if you desperately need the money. If not £300 is very nice. Great bet though!!

Fairly skint tbh, but not desperate. 

Going to give it a couple of games.

They have 3 relatively easy games first (Charlton without Taylor, Brum and Boro), so expect they'll get a couple of points, but after that they have WBA, us and Millwall.

The odds were 75-1 when I saw it. 60-1 when I had signed up to the company, and 14-1 at the end of the game (was when they got destroyed by Brentford, think I got the bet on when they were only 2-0 down).

Unfortunately for my bet, though fortunately for City, I dont think form from the last few games will be very relevant. It's going to be like the start of a season after such a long break.

On 12/06/2020 at 15:28, hodge said:

From what I've seen its a base idea of 25% capacity in September, so ~6750, which would be what half our season ticket holders per game? A real problem is this then only entitles ST holders to half the games for as long as this would last, so more refunds (or limited income by comparison to normal) for the clubs to have to deal with, its still a lack of match day revenue without non ST holders buying tickets and concessions, are they having to pay normal amounts with perhaps a quarter of the income as normal? Its still a mess given they'd need to pay for stewarding etc on top of this probably more in a role of making sure social distancing is followed.

I guess if 6750, you’d have to sit where you’re told, everyone evenly spaced, a seat gap to each side and in front and behind.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Been offered an £80 cash out for my bet on Hull to go down.

Was £5 at 60-1.

Yeah I've been offered £107, I had £10 on Hull to go down at 33-1, I'll let it run to. Think they have quite a few out of contract end of season so I'm hoping they either don't play or play at 50%. Good luck ?

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I guess if 6750, you’d have to sit where you’re told, everyone evenly spaced, a seat gap to each side and in front and behind.

what happens if you want a piss the whole stadium has to move to let you out or are the club going to discriminate against those with weak bladders?  

15 hours ago, Super said:

Played yesterday great to get back out. Drenched by the end mind!

I think I've played 8 rounds since we were allowed back, more than I normally would in that space if time.

I think when this is over everyone will be saying yes to every invitation and we'll be grabbing all the fun things in life with both hands 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Norwich player has tested positive and now has the isolate for 7 days.

Here is the bit that confuses me... assuming he played in their friendly vs Spurs the other day, surely all his teammates and everyone connected to that game should now have to self isolate for 14 days?

Different protocols for Elite Sports, here’s what’s agreed for PL:

C5AD923E-BAED-481E-A287-576DC5EE45A3.thumb.jpeg.66993122f7ad64c0ee11d7bf116da421.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Interesting article in the Sunday Times.

Now granted this is about PL but I dare say other Leagues may be looking at feasibility, especially those in places with lower rates of infection.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/covid-passport-plan-to-get-fans-back-into-premier-league-matches-jtjfmj3d3

It feels unworkable for a number of reasons though!

Ah and this below too. Seems to be the article summarised not behind a paywall.

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2020/06/premier-league-could-use-covid-19-passports-to-get-fans-back-into-games/

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

On 13/06/2020 at 22:27, formerly known as ivan said:

Norwich player has tested positive and now has the isolate for 7 days.

Here is the bit that confuses me... assuming he played in their friendly vs Spurs the other day, surely all his teammates and everyone connected to that game should now have to self isolate for 14 days?

Constant testing negates the need for this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Interesting article in the Sunday Times.

Now granted this is about PL but I dare say other Leagues may be looking at feasibility, especially those in places with lower rates of infection.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/covid-passport-plan-to-get-fans-back-into-premier-league-matches-jtjfmj3d3

It feels unworkable for a number of reasons though!

Ah and this below too. Seems to be the article summarised not behind a paywall.

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2020/06/premier-league-could-use-covid-19-passports-to-get-fans-back-into-games/

I'd turn up at 9am if it meant getting capacity crowds back at AG by Autumn!

Pre vaccine I think mass testing is the only way of returning to normality-at sports/cultural events, airports, potentially even large shopping centres etc. They need to roll out the 20 min swab test and mass produce it. No need for social distancing if everyone is tested!

12 minutes ago, jrabrewer said:

I'd turn up at 9am if it meant getting capacity crowds back at AG by Autumn!

Pre vaccine I think mass testing is the only way of returning to normality-at sports/cultural events, airports, potentially even large shopping centres etc. They need to roll out the 20 min swab test and mass produce it. No need for social distancing if everyone is tested!

I've read the article in full , being a Times subscriber and there are some significant flaws that make it hard. 

Agree on mass Testing, 100%. Think this possibly should've been done a while ago- maybe the capacity wasn't there, but that's a debate for the main thread on Covid!

However, the issues- and I won't break the paywall but will post the obstacles. Some seem harder to overcome than others.

Testing stations installed at stadiums would open 72 hours before a game, and fans could attend at their leisure. Those found to be Covid-free would be issued with a green laminate.

This one is easier to overcome but not a given- people may travel far to see their side, eats into vital annual leave- or may have family commitments. Not one of the hardest ones but not the easiest either- I'd class this as a middling issue.

On match day their temperature would be checked and they would pass through a non-allergenic disinfecting mist and into a fully disinfected stadium.

No issue with this, but may cause problems too- OTOH you've booked a hotel, fine on Day X- temperature not high, how long does refund take? To say nothing of goodwill dissipation risk.

The fans would also be issued with personal protective equipment and, given the high level of cleanliness, it would not be a problem for them to have a degree of physical contact with other people present and to use toilets and food and drink counters.

Is there suddenly a global surplus of PPE? Thought there were shortages on the global level and it's quite important that this doesn't eat into supplies for key workers or NHS staff.

The cost of the system is one potential drawback. Implementation would cost about £30 per supporter per game. The bill would be footed by clubs, fans or sponsors — or a combination of the three.

Fans won't be footing this massive extra cost if there is a risk of an onset of significant recession. Sponsors? Perhaps- but who knows how they'll be hit by the forecasts. Clubs? Some more able than others- and outside the PL highly doubtful in a lot of cases. Combination? Maybe- but remember the risk of significant recession.

It is also estimated that getting every fan through the match-day tests and disinfectant turnstiles would take two hours, based on a 50,000-capacity stadium with multiple entry points and a modern layout.

Gone will be the days of rocking up 5 mins to go from the pub- if pubs are open. Or generally 10 minutes from the end for a quick search at turnstiles! Again, not insurmountable but I wonder if such a culture change can be implemented in double quick time.

The biggest issue is obviously the cost but some other risky issues in the works too.

It sounds fantastic but there are clearly some significant hurdles and pitfalls.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

5 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Appreciate that, but surely the virus could have been passed around since the last test was done? Or are their results pretty much immediately?

PL are twice a week:

Previous test results

Round 1: 17-18 May - 748 tested, with six testing positive from three clubs.
Round 2: 19-22 May - 996 tested, with two testing positive from two clubs.
Round 3: 25-26 May - 1,008 tested, with four testing positive from two clubs.
Round 4: 28-29 May - 1,130 tested, with zero testing positive.
Round 5: 1-2 June - 1,197 tested, with one testing positive.
Round 6: 4-5 June - 1,195 tested, with zero testing positive.
Round 7: 8-9 June - 1,213 tested, with one testing positive.

EFL same / similar:

https://www.efl.com/search/?q=Covid-19+test+results

These innovations all sound varying degrees of sh1te (from the Beeb). The dedicated celebration cam being the standout:

Fans on big screens and specific cameras to celebrate towards are some of the "broadcast enhancements" that will be used when the Premier League football season restarts this week.

A number of innovations, including tunnel cameras and audio from the coin toss, have been developed.

Some viewers will also be given the option of listening to games with or without artificial crowd noise.

Players will not hear the audio effects in the behind-closed-doors games.

For goal celebrations, players should maintain distance from one another and "where feasible, broadcasters will identify a celebration camera which players can head to after scoring".

40 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

These innovations all sound varying degrees of sh1te (from the Beeb). The dedicated celebration cam being the standout:

Fans on big screens and specific cameras to celebrate towards are some of the "broadcast enhancements" that will be used when the Premier League football season restarts this week.

A number of innovations, including tunnel cameras and audio from the coin toss, have been developed.

Some viewers will also be given the option of listening to games with or without artificial crowd noise.

Players will not hear the audio effects in the behind-closed-doors games.

For goal celebrations, players should maintain distance from one another and "where feasible, broadcasters will identify a celebration camera which players can head to after scoring".

To be fair, the artificial crowd noise works really well in Spain and I believe it's the same company being used for the PL. It's quite low key and you don't actually notice it too much - it's a lot better than the echoey sounds of an empty stadium. 

Just now, elhombrecito said:

To be fair, the artificial crowd noise works really well in Spain and I believe it's the same company being used for the PL. It's quite low key and you don't actually notice it too much - it's a lot better than the echoey sounds of an empty stadium. 

On twitter seems its being suggested we're actually using the artificial crowd noise in the stadium itself

6 minutes ago, hodge said:

On twitter seems its being suggested we're actually using the artificial crowd noise in the stadium itself

Not according to this article:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jun/15/premier-league-issues-restart-rules-with-no-spitting-or-crowding-officials

"The Premier League has also announced several innovations to improve the broadcast from empty stadiums. Crowd noise will not be played inside them, although fans watching at home can activate EA Sports Atmospheric Audio, but clubs can broadcast live video feeds of 16 supporters on big screens during matches"

12 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Not according to this article:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jun/15/premier-league-issues-restart-rules-with-no-spitting-or-crowding-officials

"The Premier League has also announced several innovations to improve the broadcast from empty stadiums. Crowd noise will not be played inside them, although fans watching at home can activate EA Sports Atmospheric Audio, but clubs can broadcast live video feeds of 16 supporters on big screens during matches"

In the premier league, unless @Shtanley was joking with their tweet?